Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Are they obliged to initially find you a similar car of similar vintage?

If so, that could be some fun for them (they won't find one here will they?) and the cash alternative may prove far more appetizing for them (and you).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

How does that work? Can you buy the car back from the insurance company??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

How does that work? Can you buy the car back from the insurance company??
    Yes, if they write the car off they can reduce your payout by an agreed value for the written off car and you go fix it yourself.
    Technically once the car is written off and you've been paid out then what remains of the car is their property and not yours. Hence the buy back agreement.

Only for economic writeoffs (which FN's definitely is). Insurance companies base their decision on using new parts and anything new for an e39 will be expensive.

Are they obliged to initially find you a similar car of similar vintage?.............

Nope.......... but for valuation purposes it can be beneficial to compile a bit of a portfolio of similar mileage and age cars in decent condition. Flexibility with mileage and colour can be seen to be beneficial here too.

With a very decent car like FN has the only way to really "win" though is to buy it back and get it fixed yourself, all going well the payout should cover all costs involved so you are back to where you were pre incident albeit in a repaired car.

e39 540i are probably scarce now in decent condition so asking prices in the UK of good example might be of interest for valuation purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Sorry to hear FN , was amazed at your posts showing the preventative work on the engine and everything it needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sorry for your loss FN.

I actually don't get what's after happening here. You patched up the car and were waiting on the insurance to get sorted and...............wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

What I can't believe is your letting it go with the wheels etc all on it. Sure they must be worth 4 figures on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I've a grand volvo s80 for sale Foxhole :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I could be parting with a 330e very soon too FN!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Cheers for the comments and advice lads, it'll be interesting for sure!
    What I can't believe is your letting it go with the wheels etc all on it. Sure they must be worth 4 figures on their own?

The car is still mine and will remain in my ownership until I accept an offer of theirs. So it's really just going to my bodyshop for storage until we agree on a figure.
    Big Nasty wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss FN.

I actually don't get what's after happening here. You patched up the car and were waiting on the insurance to get sorted and...............wha?

I put a claim in against my own Fully Comp cover as the debate as to who's liable is still ongoing and was told could be months if not longer before being resolved and I just want this all sorted. I'm putting off work I want to do to the car due to this so decided to get it sorted.
    I could be parting with a 330e very soon too FN!

No interest to me I'm afraid :pac: If I'm looking at a new car altogether I have my eye on a 540i 6 Speed up the North that I may look at, even though insurance will hurt badly next year with probably No Claims but I could look towards a Classic Policy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Sold my 318D on Wednesday, bought this today.

2014 Megane III. 1.5 DCI. Lovely little motor, we have a 2012 Coupe in the family the last 4 years trouble free so said I would give one a go.

It's immaculate inside and out. Ordered new number plates & led number plate bulbs and a smaller aerial (similar too bee-sting style)

Very happy. Nipped out for a quick picture in the rain excuse the quality!!

10znsxl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What sort of money rizee.....

Im looking at the 1.5 dci myself but not sure which car yet from, megane, fluence or Laguna.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

What sort of money rizee.....

Im looking at the 1.5 dci myself but not sure which car yet from, megane, fluence or Laguna.

8000, asking price was 8500.

105k kms, service and belt done 3 days ago, warranty and fsh, 2 owner. Cartell report.

Good luck in the search, don't know much about the other two as I had my eye on this one!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Had a bit of a disaster with ordering a new 5008.
    Ordered August and told I wouldn't receive it tíl at least the end of March.

161 bhp version a bit of poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

That’s some waiting time. Held up due to emission reg issues ? Seems to be happening to a lot of stuff.

Nice bus, dunno was the one I drive 161bhp or more but it scrabbled for grip at times....
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107765387&postcount=1813 .....I'm used to AWD though so it might well have been me

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Car is absolutely filthy at the moment due to the **** weather. I remember when it was this clean earlier in the year:

20180803-141246.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

bazz26 wrote: »
    Car is absolutely filthy at the moment due to the **** weather. I remember when it was this clean earlier in the year

I've managed to have mine washed once since getting it. Kinda nice not really caring all that much tbh.

IMG-20181208-222912-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bazz26 wrote: »
    Car is absolutely filthy at the moment due to the **** weather. I remember when it was this clean earlier in the year:
    ]

Keeping it looking well for when I buy it in a couple of years. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I've managed to have mine washed once since getting it. Kinda nice not really caring all that much tbh

Dafuq dude? :eek:

You've changed man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Dafuq dude? :eek:

You've changed man.

There's a dwindling list of to gets and a slowly growing pile of bits for when I finally give in and sort it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've managed to have mine washed once since getting it. Kinda nice not really caring all that much tbh.

I used Car Pro Hydro2 silica sealant on it about a month back and even that has given up with the some of the roads I'm driving on.
    Keeping it looking well for when I buy it in a couple of years. Thank you!

Ha, ha.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

CIP4 wrote: »
    That’s some waiting time. Held up due to emission reg issues ? Seems to be happening to a lot of stuff.

Allocation cut they said, frustrating to the say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Still haven't washed mine in 4 weeks either. It's very similar to yours dirt-wise Gustavo! Taking the day off tomorrow to wash it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

4 weeks?! Shocking! :pac:

I haven't washed mine in over 2 months. Oddly enough it doesn't look too bad, but it helps that it's dark grey to start with and that it's mostly dark outside! :P

This topic can soon turn into car washers anonymous. "Hi my name is Dar and my last car wash was over 9 weeks ago..."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

dar83 wrote: »

I haven't washed mine in over 2 months. Oddly enough it doesn't look too bad, but it helps that it's dark grey to start with and that it's mostly dark outside! :P

This topic can soon turn into car washers anonymous. "Hi my name is Dar and my last car wash was over 9 weeks ago..."

I managed to wash mine a week or two ago but you wouldn't think it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

dar83 wrote: »

Shocking for me given that I used wash it every week or at the most every two weeks regardless of the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Shocking for me given that I used wash it every week or at the most every two weeks regardless of the weather!

Wimmins, eh?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

#Thedirtisstructural

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Can I be in the filthy BMW club too :pac:

A76Fstr.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement