Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,169 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

All news to me, who has never had a smelly gi in over 15 years.
    The Detol sounds good once there's no fabric softener in it?.
    I've never had an issue with my Gi, but I've have a few rash guards has smelt bad when dame. Detrol sorts it out. No fabric softener in it.

I bet you've a Gi like sandpaper
    (that's not something you hear everyday :pac::pac::pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Anybody ever trained in the States? I'll be in New York in November for the UFC event and I was thinking of bringing my Gi and popping into Marcelo Garcia or Renzo Gracie's gym.

No wife with me and I've done the sightseeing before so it's an opportunity!

I haven't, but you've picked the two gyms on my hitlist. I'd probably go to Marcelis for Gi, and Renzos for nogi. Only because I got a taste of Danahers leglock system and want more.

Yeah I'm leaning towards MG, I don't train no-gi at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Anybody ever trained in the States? I'll be in New York in November for the UFC event and I was thinking of bringing my Gi and popping into Marcelo Garcia or Renzo Gracie's gym.

Hit up both if you can but I'd recommend Marcelos for sure, best gym on the planet.

That would be a great week to be there too, I can almost guarantee there will a lot of MMA/UFC guys dropping in to train that week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 InstantMMA

Hi,

We are currently in the process of setting up what will be Ireland largest MMA Gym directory. But we need your help! If any of you here in boards.ie know of MMA/BJJ gyms from all around the country can you please head over to instantmma.com and fill out the contact form with the subject "gym directory". We would greatly appreciate anyone who can help.

Regards,
    InstantMMA Team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

What exactly is involved in SBG's Blue belt test? Always wondered what the requirements are,my club just promote randomly in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I would say at the minute purple has been more frustrating, the improvements now seem very hard to make. I have long abandoned learning new techniques to focus on what was my original game at white belt which seems crazy considering I didnt really use it at blue. Half guard/Butterfly, knee slice pass and baseball bat chokes.

Whats everyone else working on?

Kind of doing that myself, I was taught X guard about 3 years ago by DOC and I never really took to it but in the last few months I have been hitting it very well.

I have also started exploring sideguard again and also working on the basics such as polishing my armbars, especially from mount as I wasn't comfortable due to my overall inflexibility due to 2 rebuilt knees. Another facet is using Kimura's to sweep and have been getting a lot of success from this too, especially when I am under side control or in half guard.

Trying to work on different sweeps from half guard as I have a very tight electric chair variation but it's weakness was exposed a few months ago when rolling with a particularly strong guy who never missed leg day!

I like to focus on new or revisit old elements and try and perfect them so they become muscle memory and that works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭RoboRat

darced wrote: »
    Its so funny at the start they tell you basics are the key but you kind of ignore it for the flashy stuff.

How did he stop the electric chair? I have a guy hitting it on me regularly, not the submission but the sweep.
    I only use the electric chair to sweep, don't like the sub and I tend to keep it lower so I don't put pressure on the knee. He was able to keep me from getting my shoulder under the leg by switching his hips and bringing his knees back together so I couldn't get the setup. Got some new lovely subs from half guard that I'm going to be working on.

• Advertisement

Has anyone ever competed in the Europeans in Lisbon? thinking of doing them but the schedule is unclear seems to be spread over 4 or 5 days.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Has anyone ever competed in the Europeans in Lisbon? thinking of doing them but the schedule is unclear seems to be spread over 4 or 5 days.
    I haven't competed at the euros, but it's similar to other big IBJJF events. Divisions are spread out over 5 days. They go roughly in order of the ranks.

This was the schedule last year. It will be decided my the entrants I think. I would be fairly safe to assume whites and blues will be Wednesday and thurs against this year.
    EUROPEAN OPEN JIU-JITSU CHAMPIONSHIP 2016

Wednesday:
    White adult
    White master 1 and 2
    Blue adult male – Rooster to Light

Thursday:
    Blue adult male – Middle to Open Class
    Blue adult female
    Purple adult male
    Purple adult female

Friday:
    Blue master 1 to 6
    Purple master 1 to 6

Saturday:
    White juvenile
    Blue juvenile
    Purple juvenile
    Black master 1 to 6
    Black adult male open class
    Black adult female open class
    Brown master 1 to 6

Sunday:
    Black adult male – Rooster to Ultra Heavy and Open Class Final
    Black adult female – Rooster to Super Heavy and Open Class Final
    Brown adult male
    Brown adult female

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Thanks lads,was hoping the blues and whites be on the weekend be hard for lad getting midweek off work to go would love to give them a go and experience it,might look at one of the London opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Gamebred wrote: »
    What exactly is involved in SBG's Blue belt test? Always wondered what the requirements are,my club just promote randomly in the main.

This might answer some of your questions. ;)

Not everyone gets their promotion to blue at a grading. It's an assessment, about 2 hours long. Lots of drilling, starting from various positions with a conveyor belt off successive, fresh opponents/partners. Those closest roll toward the end. It's tough, but fair and you always learn something from it, even if you're "unsuccessful".

Mostly, we'll know who's on the short list and who's ready, with John obviously having the final say. It really works, too. The retention of students from white to blue is important, as it's probably the hardest belt to get to in many ways. We've seen a marked increase of people staying with grappling and making it a part of their lives in the long term as a result of how we run things.

It's really a beautiful thing.

Richy06 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/MplKCklVRr8

This might answer some of your questions. ðŸ˜

Not everyone gets their promotion to blue at a grading. It's an assessment, about 2 hours long. Lots of drilling, starting from various positions with a conveyor belt off successive, fresh opponents/partners. Those closest roll toward the end. It's tough, but fair and you always learn something from it, even if you're "unsuccessful".

Mostly, we'll know who's on the short list and who's ready, with John obviously having the final say. It really works, too. The retention of students from white to blue is important, as it's probably the hardest belt to get to in many ways. We've seen a marked increase of people staying with grappling and making it a part of their lives in the long term as a result of how we run things.

It's really a beautiful thing.

Yeah thanks I've an idea now whats involved cheers,

I've always said it about SBG I've never seen a fraud blue belt,I hate when Coach's promote a white belt prematurely its even happened in my club I noticed a few given them to help keep the interest or so and they dont have the skill for blue belt level even in competitions they get smashed,way out of their dept completely I would be training in SBG tb if I was nearer the travel would be too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

I prefer MG's got 4 days in last time so will get some rolls in again here before 205. The lunch time slot is ideal as it's back to back gi and no-gi...Marcelo takes that one on a Thursday. Everyone is really friendly and I got to roll with Marcelo and Maia last time I was there which was epic.

johnpro wrote: »
    I prefer MG's got 4 days in last time so will get some rolls in again here before 205. The lunch time slot is ideal as it's back to back gi and no-gi...Marcelo takes that one on a Thursday. Everyone is really friendly and I got to roll with Marcelo and Maia last time I was there which was epic.

Yeah I've emailed MGs and I'll be calling in a few times hopefully.

A bit worried that I'll stick out like a sore thumb but a lot of people have commented on how friendly they are with newcomers and visitors so I'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Dead drills are great for smoothness in technique - as the efficiency of the movement set increases, so does the accuracy of timing, which makes it seem faster etc. I don't spend a massive amount of time on it, personally. I coach a lot, including a lot of fundamentals classes. I find this has really helped the smoothness of my guard passing etc. If I'm trying to figure out something, I'll drill. Leglocks, of late, for example.

But there's no substitute for live drilling. You just need a good training partner who can flow without feeling like a dead weight but also without smashing you. Rock solid fundamentals should be everyone's goal. This forms the basis for whatever game you'll play - the "art" side of it, where we express ourselves depending on a multitude of factors. Without it, you have a disparate bunch of techniques that don't connect too well.

.....I'm rambling.

Also, thanks for the kind comments about the video. More to come. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Practice with a compliant partner is important to learn a movement, but it should rapidly change to drilling against resistance. "Reps" of an already known movement without feedback is an inefficient use of class time and should be relegated to warmups or personal practice to iron out any kinks in smoothness.

You could spend a month doing 1000 reps of an armbar everyday, and end up with a beautiful movement that you can't perform outside a demonstration.

In terms of pedagogy, martial arts instructors should be looking to how modern languages are taught - the days of rote repetition like an old latin class are long gone. Establish some fundamentals, then get the students using them. Identify recurring mistakes, correct them, get using again.

If a particular student has a problem with something in particular, then look at resources or contact time with the teacher to resolve it.

When I'm teaching beginners and they have the bones of a movement and it comes time to drill with a little resistance or weight, I always remind them that not only will it look and feel scrappy and messy, it should be that way. If it looks like something from an instructional DVD their partner needs to give them more resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

Yeah I've emailed MGs and I'll be calling in a few times hopefully.

A bit worried that I'll stick out like a sore thumb but a lot of people have commented on how friendly they are with newcomers and visitors so I'll be fine.

I thought that too as I'm only a white belt and have more no-gi training but got on fine...rolled with blacks and browns and they were teaching as we were rolling. I like the format as well...warm up, drill 2 related techniques and the roll...it was great. Let me know when your going and we can get a roll in if you like.

johnpro wrote: »
    I thought that too as I'm only a white belt and have more no-gi training but got on fine...rolled with blacks and browns and they were teaching as we were rolling. I like the format as well...warm up, drill 2 related techniques and the roll...it was great. Let me know when your going and we can get a roll in if you like.

Cool, I'll drop you a PM.

I worry about the warmup too, lol.

I'm unfit at the best if times but also just recovered from a back injury so I hope the warmup isn't too punishing!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Can cauliflower ear hurt when it hardens.. I got a thin layer inside the ear but not where headphone go,, just the part before it.. its hard but can be sore when bent a certain way.. is this normal or it it still healing?

JTJ2SbH.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

I'm looking to buy my first BJJ gi. Wolfhound are currently sold out. What do you guys think of this one by sub only? The price seems very reasonable.
    http://www.subonlygis.com/index.php/default/store/bjj-gi/sub-only-flow-series-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'm looking to buy my first BJJ gi. Wolfhound are currently sold out. What do you guys think of this one by sub only? The price seems very reasonable.
    http://www.subonlygis.com/index.php/default/store/bjj-gi/sub-only-flow-series-1.html

I've no experience with sub only. But with sterling the way it is amazon is great.

I got a tatami nova here for less than the cost of the sub only a few weeks back

Ive only experience with tatami so thats what ill recommend :P

Anyone got a Shoyoroll one? disaster to try get hold of one.

• Advertisement

Advertisement