Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Louth Constituiency

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I feel sorry for Nash, in a way. Must be a kick in the teeth to go from "Next leader of the party" to "Lost his seat" within 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Nash, in a way. Must be a kick in the teeth to go from "Next leader of the party" to "Lost his seat" within 3 days.

Politics is very cruel. I thought he would poll better in Drogheda. His appeal in the rest of constituency was always going to be limited.

Yeah I really underestimated the backlash against Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Yeah I really underestimated the backlash against Labour.

I gave him my vote..... But any time I heard him interviewed on newstalk - he never came even close to answering a question. I know they all avoid answering questions... But Nash really was out doing everyone on the mumbling long winded statements... Deflecting from any question... Was painful to listen too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ged chance of a jump from Callan's distribution has failed. He'll hardly do it with Weldon's.

Munster is not proving very transfer friendly and is creeping forward very slowly.

• Advertisement

Ged chance of a jump from Callan's distribution has failed. He'll hardly do it with Weldon's.

Munster is not proving very transfer friendly and is creeping forward very slowly.

He got nearly 1,200 from Callan and is less than 350 behind Fitzer.

He has a chance.

He got nearly 1,200 from Callan and is less than 350 behind Fitzer.

He has a chance.

Will he take that many more than Fitzer from Weldon with a Dundalk base?

If I had to guess I'd say no, but it is a lot closer than it appeared yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Nash wouldn't be the worst I suppose.

I'd have him back before Fitzpatrick who from what I can tell has done absolutely nothing for the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Fitzer was just a bum on a seat for the whip to keep the party line (a bit like John O'Mahony over in Mayo) - that's politics in Ireland unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fitzer was just a bum on a seat for the whip to keep the party line (a bit like John O'Mahony over in Mayo) - that's politics in Ireland unfortunately.

But he did get 137 K for his GAA team Clan Na Gael. They even texted their membership to vote for him as the new development is not finished yet.

Nope Fitzer and Weldon are from the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Fitzpatrick and O'Dowd over the line,Nash loses out.So 2 SF,2 FG AND 1 FF it is.

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/home/203484/Fitzer-snatches-seat-in-Louth.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

Disappointed to see Nash out.

No improvement in the standard of politician in Louth after this election.
    Shocking stuff altogether.

No improvement in the standard of politician in Louth after this election.
    Shocking stuff altogether.

Don't worry,there will be another one(election) along soon :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

Do you not think it says a lot about the other parties that people know what type of man Adams is, and yet still think he's the lesser of the evils involved?

No. It says that his followers are sheep.
    SF are basically a cult so his supporters will never go against him.

Whatever about the likes of Mary-Lou or Doherty, Gerry has come across as not having a clue in this election.

Pegmatite wrote: »
    Disappointed to see Nash out.

After Mary Moran's v. poor showing in Dundalk/North Louth Nash was always fighting a losing battle.

After Mary Moran's v. poor showing in Dundalk/North Louth Nash was always fighting a losing battle.

The people fell out with Labour and rightly so.
    They discarded all of their founding principles for a wee bit of power and paid the price.

Nash would have been better off being the sole Labour candidate.

It would have forced him to canvass in Dundalk and increase his appeal to a wider constituency.

He might have got better transfers from Dundalk based candidates.

• Advertisement

Decent synopsis of how it all happened in Louth/Meath East from Talk of The Town.
    Interesting comments about the Moran/Nash campaigns that i was unaware of but i did notice that Moran wasn't displaying the Labour logo on her campaign material from about a week before the election.

http://talkofthetown.ie/2016/02/28/election-2016-where-it-was-won-and-lost/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ORaghallaigh

Well done Garrett Weldon, got my number one but never expected him to do so well. Finished up with a lot more than 1000 votes, far from a wasted vote. Old ff vote getting breatnach well over the line. Would of preferred Nash over fitz but enough mai feiners in Louth to get him in. Nash should of pushed talk on the 8th,would of helped. Good vote management from Sinn Fein. Great to see a politician who is a strong(est) national politician for Louth. Probably the best known Irish politician globally. Shows we aren't just focus on local issues in Louth. Poor day for SF overall. Needed 25+ for a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

12804745_1090973787620840_822066872893838481_n.jpg?oh=b95b826417a7112b95a6c05640a5b153&oe=574C117D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

Well done Garrett Weldon, got my number one but never expected him to do so well. Finished up with a lot more than 1000 votes, far from a wasted vote. Old ff vote getting breatnach well over the line. Would of preferred Nash over fitz but enough mai feiners in Louth to get him in. Nash should of pushed talk on the 8th,would of helped. Good vote management from Sinn Fein. Great to see a politician who is a strong(est) national politician for Louth. Probably the best known Irish politician globally. Shows we aren't just focus on local issues in Louth. Poor day for SF overall. Needed 25+ for a good day.

Do you mean Adams? Aye he's been great for Louth with all the stuff he's done for us........
    Wasn't that good vote management from SF, was a cert two would get in. The leader of a party can generally get another one in, it's poor if they can't.

FG did well getting 2 in considering how little of the vote they actually got and one of the 2 was fitzer.

Didn't think FF would do as well as he did.
    Shocked Nash didn't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

The result here has left me fairly depressed. As people have said already, Fitzer is a nice guy but he is clearly not cut out to be a politician. I thought he got an easy ride from Vincent Browne and from RTE's Radio's drivetime. I've seen Browne destroy far more articulate people than Fitzer.

Nash is a huge loss. To my mind he has all the attributes that a politician should have-articulate, intelligent and an interest in national politics.

Don't know much about Breatnach, but very surprised that FF has had such a resurgence. I haven't forgiven them yet for the Economic collapse.

As for Sinn Fein, you have to wonder. I was speaking to a woman I work with last week, she was giving out about water charges etc. and was telling me she was voting for Sinn Fein. I said that they don't seemed to be principled vis-a-vis abortion, when she told me that she didn't agree with abortion "at all." I asked what about cases of rape etc. and her reply was that she wouldn't stop someone from having one. So I said 'Your pro-choice then.' She then again replied 'No I totally disagree with abortion.'

The political ignorance of a large portion of the electorate is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

event wrote: »
    Do you mean Adams? Aye he's been great for Louth with all the stuff he's done for us....
    Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭BQQ

event wrote: »
    Do you mean Adams? Aye he's been great for Louth with all the stuff he's done for us........
    Wasn't that good vote management from SF, was a cert two would get in. The leader of a party can generally get another one in, it's poor if they can't.

FG did well getting 2 in considering how little of the vote they actually got and one of the 2 was fitzer.

Didn't think FF would do as well as he did.
    Shocked Nash didn't get in.
    patsman07 wrote: »
    The result here has left me fairly depressed. As people have said already, Fitzer is a nice guy but he is clearly not cut out to be a politician. I thought he got an easy ride from Vincent Browne and from RTE's Radio's drivetime. I've seen Browne destroy far more articulate people than Fitzer.

Nash is a huge loss. To my mind he has all the attributes that a politician should have-articulate, intelligent and an interest in national politics.

Don't know much about Breatnach, but very surprised that FF has had such a resurgence. I haven't forgiven them yet for the Economic collapse.

As for Sinn Fein, you have to wonder. I was speaking to a woman I work with last week, she was giving out about water charges etc. and was telling me she was voting for Sinn Fein. I said that they don't seemed to be principled vis-a-vis abortion, when she told me that she didn't agree with abortion "at all." I asked what about cases of rape etc. and her reply was that she wouldn't stop someone from having one. So I said 'Your pro-choice then.' She then again replied 'No I totally disagree with abortion.'

The political ignorance of a large portion of the electorate is scary.

FF showing was no surprise to me.
    Louth is FF territory. Regularly won 2 out of 4 seats (sometimes even 3 out of 4) before the wipeout in 2011.
    Even then, they nearly got the last seat with a first time candidate.

Breathnach was a sure thing coming from Seamus Kirk's old stomping ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

nc6000 wrote: »
    Nash wouldn't be the worst I suppose.

I'd have him back before Fitzpatrick who from what I can tell has done absolutely nothing for the last 5 years.
    It just goes to show you your full of it you haven't a clue,he would not have been elected if he had done nothing,has worked for people on the ground and he is a local and from the county not like some that got elected, and is about all the time not like some only showing their faces around election time.

blackpearl wrote: »
    It just goes to show you your full of it you haven't a clue,he would not have been elected if he had done nothing,has worked for people on the ground and he is a local and from the county not like some that got elected, and is about all the time not like some only showing their faces around election time.

That has me totally confused. Are you agreeing or not? Was Nash the worst of them or not? I can't make out what you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

BQQ wrote: »
    FF showing was no surprise to me.
    Louth is FF territory. Regularly won 2 out of 4 seats (sometimes even 3 out of 4) before the wipeout in 2011.
    Even then, they nearly got the last seat with a first time candidate.

Breathnach was a sure thing coming from Seamus Kirk's old stomping ground.

Its also how Irish politics works; FF get in, do a bad job, FG take over. FG get in, do a bad job, FF take over. Because the two are the only serious oppositions to each other, they nearly always recover from their last election as people see them as the only viable voting option for a change.

Advertisement