Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Louth Constituiency

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Louth: There are 65% of boxes tallied and Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams remains top of the poll with 16.9% of the vote.

Fianna Fáil's Declan Breathnach is next on 13.6%, with Sinn Féin's Imelda Munster on 12%. Then come the two Fine Gael candidates, Fergus O'Dowd and Peter Fitzpatrick, on 9.9% and 9.3% respectively. Labour's Ged Nash is in 6th place on 6.4%.

From RTE, as of 1:30pm.

Surprised at Nash struggling...

Edit: as of 2:48pm

Louth: With 97% of the boxes tallied, Sinn Féin look like securing two seats, through Gerry Adams and Imelda Munster.

Fianna Fáil's Declan Breathnach splits those two candidates in second. Fine Gael's Fergus O'Dowd and Peter Fitzpatrick are next, ahead of Labour Minister Ged Nash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bookies had it pretty much spot on. Adams, Munster, O'Dowd, Breathnach and a dog fight between Fitzpatrick and Nash. Only slight surprise is that Fitzer is ahead in the race for the final seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All boxes open and tally

Gerry Adams – 15.7%

Declan Breathnach – 13.7%

Imelda Munster – 13%

Fergus O’Dowd – 10.1%

Peter Fitzpatrick – 9.4%

Ged Nash – 7.3%

Kevin Callan – 5.2%

Michael O’Dowd – 3.2%

The Irish News has just announced that Shane Ross has been elected in Louth. Good trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

All boxes open and tally

Gerry Adams – 15.7%

Declan Breathnach – 13.7%

Imelda Munster – 13%

Fergus O’Dowd – 10.1%

Peter Fitzpatrick – 9.4%

Ged Nash – 7.3%

Kevin Callan – 5.2%

Michael O’Dowd – 3.2%

What a depressing set of numbers. Two shinners (one of whom is a blow in), and Breathnach is as old school FF as you can get.

But I'm most surprised with is the fact that Fitzer might actually hold onto his seat. He has been next to useless and invisible for the last 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭mada999

pconn062 wrote: »
    What a depressing set of numbers. Two shinners (one of whom is a blow in), and Breathnach is as old school FF as you can get.

But I'm most surprised with is the fact that Fitzer might actually hold onto his seat. He has been next to useless and invisible for the last 5 years.

maybe his "texting" trick worked, although there are a lot of people not happy about it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

mada999 wrote: »
    maybe his "texting" trick worked, although there are a lot of people not happy about it..

What was his "texting" trick?

Actually the above was poorly worded by me.. Should have been "texting plea"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Who knew that Fitzer was so cunning?

• Advertisement

aye, apparently another one was sent yesterday morning also. Surprised local media have not run a story on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Cunning my hole,a complete invasion of privacy.How did he get all those numbers.That's spam on a huge scale right there and nobody takes kindly to that!

Results after the second count
    Gerry Adams 10774

Declan Breathnach 9146

Imelda Munster 9061

Fergus O’Dowd 6814

Peter Fitzpatrick 6838

Ged Nash 4976

Kevin Callan 3683

Emma Coffey 3442

Garrett Weldon 3644

Mark Dearey 3225

Meave Yore 2814

Michael O’Dowd 2219

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

How in the blue **** is Fitzpatrick where he is? He was utterly incoherent on Vincent Browne and has done fun all in the constituency.

Helmet wrote: »
    How in the blue **** is Fitzpatrick where he is? He was utterly incoherent on Vincent Browne and has done fun all in the constituency.

What has Gerry Adams done for Louth?

Jaysus WH if you where any further up Fitzers arse you'd be cleaning his teeth!
    What has Fitzpatrick ever done for Louth?

What has Fitzpatrick ever done for Louth?

You mean, apart from creating employment in his business, defending the country in the defence forces, coaching the county football team, and representing the people of the town and county in government?

Politically.You know i meant politically.

That post above is bumpkin.
    Creates jobs in a business he owns - WOW! he started a business that employs people,holy goodnight,imagine that!
    defending the country in the defense forces- against what enemy?
    coaching the county football team - fecking hell,he was handed a decent side
    the last point in your post is blah blah blah to me.

Fitzer is a nice person,everyone around Dundalk knows him,he's a decent guy and there's no getting away from that but politically he is useless and that point has been posted throughout this thread time and again and even by FG supporters.

Politically.You know i meant politically.

That post above is bumpkin.
    Creates jobs in a business he owns - WOW! he started a business that employs people,holy goodnight,imagine that!
    defending the country in the defense forces- against what enemy?
    coaching the county football team - fecking hell,he was handed a decent side
    the last point in your post is blah blah blah to me.

Fitzer is a nice person,everyone around Dundalk knows him,he's a decent guy and there's no getting away from that but politically he is useless and that point has been posted throughout this thread time and again and even by FG supporters.

Perhaps you'd like to post what Adams has done for Louth.

• Advertisement

Adams stands up for the poor and the vulnerable- people on the margins,people who have been denied a decent chance at having a LIFE.Fitzer voted for all cuts to disabled services in the country,voted for the cut in rent allowance voted for anything that was been cut! Yeah he's dead decent!.I work,i pay my taxes but i dont want to see my taxes being paid paid to the guy next door and thats what we've done this last few years(the bondholders).Adams rails against against that.He's an opposition TD without any real power whereas Fitzpatrick had some power but didn't use it to the best of his ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Can we not all agree that neither Fitzer or Adams have done anything of note for Louth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Cunning my hole,a complete invasion of privacy.How did he get all those numbers.That's spam on a huge scale right there and nobody takes kindly to that!

I'd be very angry if I got one of those texts. Certainly looks like a data protection issue

11:00pm update, via RTE.

Counting has resumed this morning with the elimination last night of Independent Maeve Yore.

She had 3,138 first preference votes to distribute and it is unclear if any one particular candidate will benefit significantly from her transfers.

Sinn Féin President, Gerry Adams, remains on the top of the poll with 10,908 votes - 347 votes under the quota. His running mate, Imelda Munster, is currently in third place with 9,224 votes, with Fianna Fáil's Declan Breathnach splitting the two on 9,609 votes - 1,646 off the quota.

Fine Gael's vote dropped dramatically from 31% in 2011 to just under 20% this time around. However, the local vote management means the party is likely to hold onto its two seats; Fergus O'Dowd and Peter Fitzpatrick.

However, Labour are not giving up just yet.

Supporters of the outgoing junior minister, Ged Nash, believe he is still in with a chance of overtaking Fitzpatrick for the last seat. Fitzpatrick himself acknowledges that he is in a dogfight for the 5th and final seat. It's likely that many of the votes for independent Kevin Callan, will transfer to Nash but the question remains - how many and will it be sufficient to close the gap.

We should know in the late afternoon.

Exactly where did he get the numbers?
    Maybe someone who recived the text might want to report it to the Data Comission.

Aside from covering up sex abuse. And letting a paedophile work with children in the area. Not very much......

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/local-news/191816/Adams---I-knew-Liam.html

Who ever voted for Adams should be ashamed of themselves.

Pegmatite wrote: »
    Aside from covering up sex abuse. And letting a paedophile work with children in the area. Not very much......

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/local-news/191816/Adams---I-knew-Liam.html

Who ever voted for Adams should be ashamed of themselves.

Do you not think it says a lot about the other parties that people know what type of man Adams is, and yet still think he's the lesser of the evils involved?

Coffey's redistribution may take Breathnach over the line before Gerry.

5th Count Results

Gerry Adams – 11096
    Declan Breathnach – 9931
    Imelda Munster – 9356
    Fergus O’Dowd – 7418
    Peter Fitzpatrick – 6969
    Ged Nash – 5593
    Kevin Callan – 4388
    Garrett Weldon – 4468
    Mark Dearey – 4099

Breathnach beat Gerry with both now elected.

• Advertisement

Because of work I'm actually in the count centre now. Coffey's transfers are after pushing Breathnach to the top. Both he and Adams are now past the quota and are elected.

Advertisement