Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Louth Constituiency

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Its also how Irish politics works; FF get in, do a bad job, FG take over. FG get in, do a bad job, FF take over. Because the two are the only serious oppositions to each other, they nearly always recover from their last election as people see them as the only viable voting option for a change.

You are, unfortunately, correct.

What the voters almost always seem to forget is that the bad job that FG do when they're in is nowhere near as bad as the bad job that FF do when they're in.

In the case of the last five years compared to the previous 11 or so, SPECTACULARLY so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

blackpearl wrote: »
    It just goes to show you your full of it you haven't a clue,he would not have been elected if he had done nothing,has worked for people on the ground and he is a local and from the county not like some that got elected, and is about all the time not like some only showing their faces around election time.

Firstly it's YOU'RE full of it not YOUR full of it. And what exactly am I full of?

I made the point that I would rather see Nash get back in than Fitzpatrick. I'm in East Meath and down here you wouldn't even know who Fitzpatrick was.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You are, unfortunately, correct.

What the voters almost always seem to forget is that the bad job that FG do when they're in is nowhere near as bad as the bad job that FF do when they're in.

In the case of the last five years compared to the previous 11 or so, SPECTACULARLY so!

How so?

Was it paying off bondholders and lumpin 9K on each citizen?
    Introducing the super quango Irish Water?
    Introducing Property Tax?
    Cutting SNA's?
    More on hospital trollies?
    Increasing taxes on workers?
    Bigger lines at the soup kitchens?
    Increasing housing queues and homelessness?
    Propping up Insurance companies who fiddled or gambled?

FG = FF and always have. Little or no difference. I have little time for the other parties either.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

nc6000 wrote: »
    Firstly it's YOU'RE full of it not YOUR full of it. And what exactly am I full of?

I made the point that I would rather see Nash get back in than Fitzpatrick. I'm in East Meath and down here you wouldn't even know who Fitzpatrick was.

Well if you had known who Fitzpatrick was you would know that he deserved his seat, did not know you were in East Meath I can understand where you are coming from I would sooner see Nash in than any of the shinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

How so?

Cutting SNA's?

You'd almost think we had been in the middle of a recession.

• Advertisement

You'd almost think we had been in the middle of a recession.

Most people are still in a Recession.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Most people are still in a Recession.

Nah, mate. Recovery is in full swing now! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

How so?

Cutting SNA's?

FG = FF and always have. Little or no difference. I have little time for the other parties either.

Don't be obtuse.

You know damn well that every single item on your list was either:

A) Done by FF when they were in Govt. (Bank Guarantee, anyone?)

or

B) Was directly or indirectly a response to:
    (i) the recession, which was greatly worsened by FF's Govt (SNA's, trollies, homelessness) and/or
    (ii) FF's own policies (the process that eventually led to the setting up of Irish Water) and/or
    (iii) things that happened while FF were in Govt. (Quinn Insurance)

Don't be obtuse.

You know damn well that every single item on your list was either:

A) Done by FF when they were in Govt. (Bank Guarantee, anyone?)

or

B) Was directly or indirectly a response to:
    (i) the recession, which was greatly worsened by FF's Govt (SNA's, trollies, homelessness) and/or
    (ii) FF's own policies (the process that eventually led to the setting up of Irish Water) and/or
    (iii) things that happened while FF were in Govt. (Quinn Insurance)

FG got into Govt and implemented FF policies too did they not.
    I see no difference in either party tbh.
    Two sides of the same coin.
    The recession has not ended. Smoke and mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭event

Scotty # wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

Well I can't think of a single thing he has done for the county tbh
    BQQ wrote: »
    FF showing was no surprise to me.
    Louth is FF territory. Regularly won 2 out of 4 seats (sometimes even 3 out of 4) before the wipeout in 2011.
    Even then, they nearly got the last seat with a first time candidate.

Breathnach was a sure thing coming from Seamus Kirk's old stomping ground.

Oh I knew he'd get in but to top the poll, I didn't see that coming.
    It just goes to show you your full of it you haven't a clue,he would not have been elected if he had done nothing,has worked for people on the ground and he is a local and from the county not like some that got elected, and is about all the time not like some only showing their faces around election time.
    Well if you had known who Fitzpatrick was you would know that he deserved his seat, did not know you were in East Meath I can understand where you are coming from I would sooner see Nash in than any of the shinners.

Is that you Peter?

I'm from midlouth and work in dundalk so I'm fairly well versed in the area. Why don't you list off all he has done so? If it wasn't for Colm Markey he wouldn't have been even close to getting back in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

event wrote: »
    If it wasn't for Colm Markey he wouldn't have been even close to getting back in

There is a man who shouldve been taking that seat. Puts a lot of donkey work in on the ground & got shafted when they parachuted Fitzer in back in 2011.

Fitzers only saving grace is that unlike "Jerrah", he is actually a proud Louth man.

A bit like when the shinners shafted the local for 3 house jerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Gotta love the non love for Gerrah on this thread.Lets mention 3 house Gerry and not mention 50 house millionaire and former calamitous health minister O'Reilly.He lost his seat the poor diddums,anyone want to guess why?
    Morgan had no problem moving out of the way for Adams.Unlike the heave to shift to move Markey when Fitzpatrick became suddenly available.
    I''m not picking on O'Reilly's poor bones because his **** got handed to him here but lets square this argument up.
    The home of democracy- GB - parties there have no problem with candidates parachuted in so whats the problem? parish pump politics are alive and well in Louth 2016.

Even if you are a liar,dont live in the state and the cover up about his brother don't make me sick.Who switches the lights on and of in his house in co louth.

Even if you are a liar,dont live in the state and the cover up about his brother don't make me sick.Who switches the lights on and of in his house in co louth.

No lies ever told by FG\LAB\FF and no cover-ups either?Noonan is involved in a huge scandal that the press are giving no time to atm.I condemn any attempt by any party or politician to cover up any scandal btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

event wrote: »
    Well I can't think of a single thing he has done for the county tbh

Ahh..

Neither can I. Sorry, I hadn't read the whole thread and wasn't quite sure if you were being sarcastic or not.

Surely an individual should have to live in the state for x amount of years before being eligible to run for election?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Gotta love the non love for Gerrah on this thread.Lets mention 3 house Gerry and not mention 50 house millionaire and former calamitous health minister O'Reilly.He lost his seat the poor diddums,anyone want to guess why?
    Morgan had no problem moving out of the way for Adams.Unlike the heave to shift to move Markey when Fitzpatrick became suddenly available.
    I''m not picking on O'Reilly's poor bones because his **** got handed to him here but lets square this argument up.
    The home of democracy- GB - parties there have no problem with candidates parachuted in so whats the problem? parish pump politics are alive and well in Louth 2016.

I would've thought Thomas Sharkey was next in line once Morgan stepped aside. Another hard-working local politician shafted for a celebrity candidate.

I dont think you'll find many (any even) people feeling sorry for James O'Reilly. A first class embarrassment of a representative, which is exactly what Fitzer & Gerrah are. But how many homes he (or Gerry or any other politician for that matter) has no impact on my opinion of them (others may let that cloud their judgement). All I care about is the value-for-money I get out of them as a public representative & all 3 are shameful examples (along with Enda Kenny, Michael Lowry, Alan Kelly and many others) of the quality of TD we elect.

Is it that much to expect that the people who represent me are actually from the constituency (Adams v. Sharkey) or have a clue about politics & policies & even ideas (Fitzer v Markey).

And please dont hold up the Brits as an example of how to do politics right. They make our lot look like shining paragons of virtue. Next you'll be claiming they should be emulating Donald Trump :rolleyes:

'Grace' case
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/letter-shows-grace-remained-in-home-after-foster-father-lobbied-michael-noonan-383497.html

Mary Boyle case
    http://www.thejournal.ie/fresh-appeal-mary-boyle-disappearance-2364294-Oct2015/[/QUOT
    looks like a fairytail compared to what adams remained silent about for 9 years about what his brother was up to.

Are we still talking about Gerry Adams?

• Advertisement

Are we still talking about Gerry Adams?

Adam's is 50% of this thread so lets keep talking about him.:)Talk about the real issues if you want to and change that!

As for holding Trump up as a paragon of virtue.....the day we go that right wing in this Country is the day i leave.
    Sharkey had no complaints about moving aside for Adams either 'darklighter'(sorry cant quote you on phone).His time will come.A very gifted politician he is & no doubt and he's young.His time will come.Never seems to go on about it as much as you'd like to believe he does ;)
    Austin Currie event or Scotty? what are States? ................

'Grace' case
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/letter-shows-grace-remained-in-home-after-foster-father-lobbied-michael-noonan-383497.html

Mary Boyle case
    http://www.thejournal.ie/fresh-appeal-mary-boyle-disappearance-2364294-Oct2015/[/QUOT
    looks like a fairytail compared to what adams remained silent about for 9 years about what his brother was up to.

I said no excuses for Adams.You're making excuses for Noonan,AGS AND former Ministers for Justice in the cases i highlighted.Do you condemn ALL these injustices or just the Adams one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I said no excuses for Adams.You're making excuses for Noonan,AGS AND former Ministers for Justice in the cases i highlighted.Do you condemn ALL these injustices or just the Adams one?

But the involvement of the various politicians in each case don't compare at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Imagine we had somebody like the Healy Raes elected, Louth would be in an amazing position right now. Unfortunately I can't see any of our elected representatives doing anything for the county.

Great detail in the Democrat and the Argus on tallies per polling station. Great for us nerds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Would anybody change their vote if another election is called?

Fitzpatrick could be only one in trouble as Nash was quite close to him last time. I wonder would Sinn Fein consider running a third candidate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The percentage changing their vote would be negligible but SF could lose some support, based solely on what people who voted for them have said to me, because of their total lack of interest in forming a government.

As a SF voter, I wouldn't want them going into a minority government at all; minority governments never, ever seem to work well for the smaller parties, and seem to end with them being wiped out. By and large, I voted SF because I didn't want FG or FF in power, so I would have been disappointed had they then proceeded to prop up and empower either of those two. I've heard loads of non-SF voters running the line about SF voters being disappointed, but I've not actually spoken to any SF voters who voice that opinion (not saying they don't exist; just they aren't as prevalent as some are trying to make out, in my experience).

As for the question about changing votes.

Would stick with SF as my number one, but far less inclined to vote independants since it didn't seem to matter at all last time.

I feel the gist pushed in a new election would be "You've got to choose, FF or FG". I hate both. But one caused problems by giving people too much, and one caused problems by taking too much from people. And I never got to experience the "Celtic Tiger". I'm part of the generation who just missed having stuff thrown at us. So from a purely selfish standpoint, I'd probably throw votes in the direction of the FF candidates. I stress, I hate both ideas, but at least FF will be more likely to stop the stupid water charges, etc. They are pandering to the public, but it's working on me....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Lord TSC; if SF went into government with FG or FF it would be a majority government and not a minority. We're facing a minority government as no majority has been achieved. With a minority government an agreement will need to be reached where another party may be willing to support a government at crucial times, budget etc., from opposition benches.

Every elected party has a responsibility to form a government and enable the important and often difficult decisions be made. For me personally I feel that SF's stance (opposition only) is contrary to what's required of them in this society, in this year. They should at the very least negotiate their policies with other parties in an effort to create a stable government.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC; if SF went into government with FG or FF it would be a majority government and not a minority. We're facing a minority government as no majority has been achieved. With a minority government an agreement will need to be reached where another party may be willing to support a government at crucial times, budget etc., from opposition benches.

You're correct and I apologies, getting terms mixed up. I meant I wouldn't want SF going into a coalition government where they were the smaller party, since I think the long term health of the party would be significantly damaged, which leads to...
    Every elected party has a responsibility to form a government and enable the important and often difficult decisions be made. For me personally I feel that SF's stance (opposition only) is contrary to what's required of them in this society, in this year. They should at the very least negotiate their policies with other parties in an effort to create a stable government.

Its a fair point. Personally, I'd be looking at both the short and long term. When you look at Lib Dems in the Uk and Labour here, the secondary party in coalitions often have to make massive sacrifices to their principles (if not abandon them altogether). So, (again, imo) if SF want to actually get the chance to make those important decisions in a manner where they can actually make them, and not just support another party to make them, then they have to look at the long term plan.

The long term plan has to be to continue to build on their growing platform and try to gain enough votes to let them be the bigger party. Personally, I'd be adding they should be trying to shift Gerry Adams elsewhere before the next election as well. But as a SF voter, I'd personally be happier seeing them as a growing opposition party rather than one jumping into bed with a party that people were voting for SF so those parties wouldn't get into power.

Advertisement