Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super XVIII 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What will the Jaguares players be doing for six months of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

What will the Jaguares players be doing for six months of the year?

Hmmm, some will be involved with the Pumas, quite a lot I think in the RC and AIs I suppose. As for the rest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

rsh118 wrote: »
    Very optimistic. As I remember it's Feb-June/July for Super, then onto the local domestic competitions, ITM, Currie Cup etc

:( pity, going to get a Riverplate Boca derby in over their, would have been nice to bring the father in law to a rugby match

astonaidan wrote: »
    :( pity, going to get a Riverplate Boca derby in over their, would have been nice to bring the father in law to a rugby match

That should be epic. In the bombonera or the monumental?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

That should be epic. In the bombonera or the monumental?

Bombonera is where we watching it, but another game at River, they are from Cordoba so going to watch a game their aswell, pretty excited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Havent kept up to date enough with off season proceedings to do a preview of my own, so im going to just leave this here, stolen from News24:
    http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/super-rugby-preview-stormers-20160208

Stormers

Coach: Robbie Fleck

Captain: Juan de Jongh and Frans Malherbe

Last season: Lost in qualifiers, SA conference champions

Grouped with: Cheetahs, Bulls, Sunwolves

Potential strengths: The good news for the Stormers is that they have retained a large number of their players from last season. While Duane Vermeulen is the obvious major loss, the pack will have an otherwise familiar feel to it. Schalk Burger remains, while the experience of Siya Kolisi, Nizaam Carr, Eben Etzebeth, Scarra Ntubeni and Frans Malherbe will be needed. One of the most exciting prospects is the partnership of Etzebeth and new signing Pieter-Steph du Toit in the second row.

Potential weaknesses: There is an element of uncertainty in the backline. With the trusted Demetri Catrakilis having left with Coetzee last season, the Stormers will be fielding a new first-choice flyhalf in 2016. Robert du Preez is the favourite to start the season opener against the Bulls, but he is a Super Rugby novice. Injuries also mean that the Stormers are a little thin at inside centre, so how the 10/12 combination develops in the opening weeks will be watched closely by Stormers fans.

Players to watch: The Etzebeth/Du Toit combination is obviously the major attraction of this side, but it is also a big season for Frans Malherbe as he looks to become the go-to tighthead for the Springboks.

Realistic aim: The Stormers will look to top their conference and secure a home quarter-final. A push for the title is likely a step too far, but a last four place could be seen as realistic.

Players in: Pieter-Steph du Toit (Sharks), Cornal Hendricks (Cheetahs), JC Janse van Rensburg (Bayonne), JP Smith (Brumbies), Jano Vermaak (Toulouse).

Players out: Manuel Carizza (Racing 92), Demetri Catrakilis (Montpellier), Jean de Villiers (Leicester), Patrick Howard (Northampton), Steven Kitshoff (Bordeaux), Neil Rautenbach (Cheetahs), Michael Rhodes (Saracens), Duane Vermeulen (Toulon).

First fixture: February 27 v Bulls (h).

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

Here's a good overview of the Australian contingent:
    http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/02/23/australian-super-rugby-guide/

How the Australian teams stack up in 2016 Super Rugby.
    Brumbies

Super Rugby titles: 2001, 2004,
    Finishes over the past three seasons: 2015 – 4th, 2014 – 4th, 2013 – 2nd
    Coach: Stephen Larkham
    Captains: Stephen Moore and Christian Lealiifano

Coach Larkham has made it clear it’s now or never for his aging squad with a number leaving a season’s end. Argentine halfback Tomas Cubelli will be key to their chances.

Gains: Tomas Cubelli (Belgrano), Albert Anae (Benetton Treviso), Nick Jooste (Perth Spirit), Andrew Smith (Montpellier), Aidan Toua (Agen)
    Losses: Nic White (Montpellier), Jesse Mogg (Montpellier), JP Smith (Stormers), Siliva Siliva (Rebels), Fotu Auelua (released), Sean Doyle (Munster).

NSW Waratahs

Super Rugby titles: 2014
    Finishes over the past three seasons: 2015 – 3rd, 2014 – 1st, 2013 – 9th
    Coach: Daryl Gibson
    Captain: Michael Hooper

After bowing out in the semi-finals last season, it’s hard to see where that final improvement will come from under new coach Daryl Gibson. Veteran Wallabies back Adam Ashley-Cooper and firebrand Jacques Potgeiter will be hard to replace.

Gains: Angus Taavao (Blues), Brad Wilkin (Australia Sevens), Jim Stewart (Sydney Stars), Zac Guildford (Hawkes Bay), Harry Jones (Sydney Stars), Reece Robinson (Parramatta Eels).
    Losses: Adam Ashley-Cooper (Bordeaux), Sekope Kepu (Bordeaux), Jacques Potgieter (Sharks), Brendan McKibbin (London Irish), Taqele Naiyaravoro (Glasgow), Pat McCutcheon (Australia Sevens), Peter Betham (Leicester Tigers), Jono Lance (Force), Ben Volavola (Crusaders), Mitchell Chapman (retired), Tala Grey (Toulouse), Michael Alaalatoa (Crusaders) Stephen Hoiles (retired)

Queensland Reds

Super Rugby titles: 1992, 1994, 1995, 2011
    Finishes over the past three seasons: 2015 – 13th, 2014 – 13th, 2013 – 5th
    Coach: Richard Graham
    Captain: James Slipper

Plenty of pressure on coach Richard Graham after a poor 2015. The Reds must adjust to a new era without stalwarts Will Genia, Quade Cooper and James Horwill. Their forward pack should still be quality but their backs are a raw and little known quantity.

Gains: Kane Douglas (Leinster), Cadeyrn Neville (Rebels), Ayumu Goromaru (Yamaha Jubilo), James Tuttle (Bond University), Lukhan Tui (Randwick), Alex Mafi (Bond University), Izack Rodda (Easts Tigers), Junior Laloifi (Sunnybank), Eto Nabuli (St George Illawarra), Brad Matwijow (ITM Cup)
    Losses: Quade Cooper (Toulon), Will Genia (Stade Francais), James Horwill (Harlequins), James O’Connor (Toulon), James Hanson (Rebels), Marco Kotze (Agen), David McDuling (Sharks), Ed O’Donoghue (Japan), Tom Murday (Agen), Ed Quirk (released), Beau Robinson (released), Adam Thomson (Rebels), Ben Tapuai (Force), Lachlan Turner (Toulon), Sam Johnson (Glasgow).

Melbourne Rebels

Super Rugby titles: 0
    Finishes over the past three seasons: 2015 – 10th, 2014 – 15th, 2013 – 12th
    Coach: Tony McGahan
    Captain: Nic Stirzaker

The Rebels showed what they are capable of last season but lacked consistency. They don’t have the star power of other teams but with a promising halves pair Nic Stirzaker and Jack Debreczeni shouldn’t be far off the leaders.

Gains: Adam Thomson (Reds), James Hanson (Reds), Culum Retallick (Blues), Sione Tuipulotu (Melbourne Rising), Ryan Cocker (Taranaki), Jamie Hagan (London Irish), Siliva Siliva (Brumbies), Rob Leota (Northern), Reece Hodge (Manly).
    Losses: Scott Higginbotham (NEC Green Rockets), Luke Burgess (Zebre), Radike Samo (released), Cadeyrn Neville (Reds), Paul Alo-Emile (Stade Francais), Keita Inagaki (Panasonic Wild Knights), Tom Sexton (Force), Ben Whittaker (released), Tom Kingston (released), Bryce Hegarty (Toyota Industries Shuttles), Telusa Veainu (Leicester Tigers).

Western Force

Super Rugby titles: 0
    Finishes over the past three seasons: 2015 – 15th, 2014 – 8th, 2013 – 13th
    Coach: Michael Foley
    Captains: Matt Hodgson

The only way is up for the Force. Unfortunately it’s more likely to be a slow climb than a rapid rise, with their new playmaker, South African veteran Peter Grant needing to fire.

Gains: Peter Grant (La Rochelle), Ben Tapuai (Reds), Jono Lance (Waratahs), Richie Arnold (Queensland Country) Semisi Masirewa (Manawatu), Tom Sexton (Rebels)
    Losses: Wilhelm Steenkamp (Brive), Sam Wykes (Coca-Cola West Red Sparks), Sias Ebersohn (Cheetahs), Zack Holmes (La Rochelle), Nick Cummins (Coca-Cola West Red Sparks), Mitchell Scott (Tasman), Akihito Yamada (Panasonic Wild Knights)

2016 Super Rugby Format

Australasian Group
    New Zealand – Blues, Chiefs, Crusaders, Highlanders, Hurricanes.
    Australia – Brumbies, Western Force, Rebels, Waratahs, Reds

South African Group
    South Africa – Bulls, Cheetahs, Kings, Lions, Sharks, Stormers
    Argentina – Jaguares
    Japan – Sunwolves

Australian Conference: Brumbies, Force, Rebels, Reds, Waratahs
    New Zealand Conference: Blues, Chiefs, Crusaders, Highlanders, Hurricanes
    South Africa 1 Conference: Bulls, Cheetahs, Stormers, Sunwolves
    South Africa 2 Conference: Jaguares, Kings, Lions, Sharks

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

In fact while I'm at it, you may as well have this one too:

Right now, just before the season gets underway, you’ll get close to the following odds with the various betting agencies.

• Brumbies 8-1
    • New South Wales Waratahs 9-1
    • Melbourne Rebels 34-1
    • Queensland Reds 41-1
    • Western Force 67-1

Let’s take a look at why the bookmakers have arrived at these odds.

Brumbies
    The Brumbies finished second in the 2015 Australian Conference of the Super Rugby competition, behind the Waratahs. They won nine and lost seven in the regular season, placing them sixth in the overall competition standings. They then upset the third placed Stormers in a qualifying final before eventually bowing out in the semi-finals to the Hurricanes.

The Brumbies will be hoping Argentinian international Tomas Cubelli will be able to slot in at scrum-half easily, replacing Wallaby Nic White who has headed to France. Coach Stephen Larkham is in his third season in charge, and has recently elevated centre Christian Lealiifano to become co-captain alongside Wallaby hooker and captain Stephen Moore for 2016.

The Brumbies are traditionally solid Super Rugby performers and along with the Waratahs they will be leading the Australian charge in the 2016 competition. Besides Lealiifano and Moore, the Brumbies squad contains Wallaby stars David Pocock, Matt Toomua and Tevita Kuridrani.

New South Wales Waratahs

Super Rugby champions in 2014 and beaten semi-finalists in 2015, the Waratahs have a new head coach for the 2016 season in Daryl Gibson. He replaces Michael Cheika, who will now be focusing all his coaching efforts on the Wallabies.

The Waratahs will be captained by Wallaby flanker Michael Hooper and with the likes of fellow Wallabies Wycliff Palu, Nick Phipps, Bernard Foley, Kurtley Beale and Israel Folau in their line-up, they should again be around when the proverbial whips are cracking in the 2016 competition.

Melbourne Rebels

The Rebels finished a creditable 10th in 2015, the best result in their short five-year history, but realistically it’s hard to see them doing much better in 2016. They will likely be competitive at best. The team will be led by co-captains Scott Fuglistaller and Scott Higginbotham, and coached by Tony McGahan in what will be his fourth year at the helm.

Queensland Reds
    Being a Queenslander myself it pains me to say it, but I think the Red’s odds of 41-1 are accurate. Who would have thought a few years ago that a Reds team would be bigger outsiders at the start of a Super Rugby season than the Rebels?

The Reds performed poorly in 2015, finishing 13th. Will Genia, Quade Cooper and James O’Connor are three high profile backline departures for 2016, leaving the Reds line-up on paper looking like they will struggle to score points. Wallaby prop and Reds skipper James Slipper will also miss the first half of the season after undergoing shoulder surgery.

I think it will be a long season of rebuilding for the Reds.

Western Force

The Force were wooden spooners in 2015, so the only way is up. In their ten-year history, their best result has been seventh way back in 2007. The team will be led by Matt Hodgson, and coached by former Wallaby hooker Michael Foley. Odds of 67-1 might seem harsh, but they are realistic.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/02/20/australian-super-rugby-teams-chances-2016/

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

this weeks fixtures with kick off times:

FRI 26TH FEBRUARY

06:35 Blues V Highlanders
    Sky Sports 2 HD

08:40 Brumbies V Hurricanes
    Sky Sports 2 HD

17:00 Cheetahs V Los Jaguares
    Sky Sports 2 HD

SAT 27TH FEBRUARY

04:15 Sunwolves V Lions
    Sky Sports 2 HD

06:35 Crusaders V Chiefs
    Sky Sports 2 HD

08:40 Waratahs V Reds
    Sky Sports 2 HD

10:50 Western Force V Melbourne Rebels
    Sky Sports 2 HD

13:00 Southern Kings V Sharks
    Sky Sports 2 HD

15:05 Stormers V Bulls
    Sky Sports 2 HD

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Vamos Los Jaguares! There's no excuse to not do well with their squad. Argentina are going to be a scary prospect over the next few years with their team* playing week in week out. No national team can boast that!

*Assuming they stick to their policy of only picking domestic players for the national team.

• Advertisement

heres a reminder for those who want to take part in the Super 18 predictor competition this year

Come play Super Rugby Predictor with me on SuperBru! It's free and loads of fun. Just click here:

http://www.superbru.com/superrugby/pool.php?p=11503249

Pool name: boards.ie S18

Pool code: onyxkeel

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

rsh118 wrote: »
    Hmmm, some will be involved with the Pumas, quite a lot I think in the RC and AIs I suppose. As for the rest....

Some of the rest might go to Japan's Top League for a short-term payday.

What's the calendar for the Top League? Has anyone ever watched it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jaguares tickets for their main stand going at £3.50 according to some rugby journos on twitter.

two Pryor brothers as reserve back rows for Blues and Highlanders on Friday.

Highlanders team looking strong, though i dont know much about walden playing at 12, making his super rugby debut. Also Faddes from the bench will have hos first start.

The blues are keeping some very dangerous weapons on the bench

Blues (15-1): Lolagi Visinia, Melani Nanai, Male Sa’u, George Moala, Tevita Li, Ihaia West, Bryn Hall, Steven Luatua, Blake Gibson, Joe Edwards, Josh Bekhuis, Patrick Tuipulotu, Sione Mafileo, James Parsons (c), Ofa Tu’ungafasi

Reserves: Quentin MacDonald, Namatahi Waa, Charlie Faumuina, Akira Ioane, Kara Pryor, Billy Guyton, Matt McGahan, Rene Ranger

Highlanders (15-1): Ben Smith (co-captain), Waisake Naholo, Malakai Fekitoa, Teihorangi Walden, Patrick Osborne, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Liam Squire, Shane Christie (co-captain), Elliot Dixon, Joe Wheeler, Tom Franklin, Josh Hohneck, Liam Coltman, Daniel Lienert-Brown

Reserves: Ash Dixon, Brendon Edmonds, Ross Geldenhuys, Alex Ainley, Dan Pryor, Fumiaki Tanaka, Hayden Parker, Matt Faddes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Getting a bit excited about Friday now. Come on the Blues!! This is our year!

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Getting a bit excited about Friday now. Come on the Blues!! This is our year!

i think you'll do quite well off the back of how well auckland did in the ITM with such a young team. Umaga has what it takes i reckon

I still don't get which teams are playing against which this year. What chance all three Du Preez brothers playing in a Stormers v Sharks game?

I still don't get which teams are playing against which this year. What chance all three Du Preez brothers playing in a Stormers v Sharks game?

https://www.westernforce.com.au/sites/default/files/documents/uploads/2016%20Super%20Rugby%20Draw.pdf

Cool. 12th of March if they all somehow manage to get selected

• Advertisement

the Jaguares starting 15 have 366 international caps for argentina !!!!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i think you'll do quite well off the back of how well auckland did in the ITM with such a young team. Umaga has what it takes i reckon

Damn it!! Just realised I have to drop the missus at the airport at half 7 on Friday :mad: there goes my plan to watch the Blues v Highlanders.

Ah... at that stage we'll have the bonus point already secured ;)

I will have to record it and the Hurricanes game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Ah... at that stage we'll have the bonus point already secured ;)

Fair play for knowing you'll finish within 7 points of the Blues...

At the risk of alienating 95%+ of the forum, I'm really really looking forward to attack-minded rugby in warm conditions and on dry pitches.

I've forgotten what an offload looks like too.

Will be delayed replays of Friday's games, but the traditional breakfast + NZ franchise game Saturday morning beckons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ah Swiwi you messed your chance up there.

We don't get warm conditions and dry pitches :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ah Swiwi you messed your chance up there.

We don't get warm conditions and dry pitches :D

You get a horizontal gale in Cardiff. Leinster-Cardiff solved my insomnia issues :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In Sydney for the week so picked up a couple of tickets to 'Tahs v Reds, should be fun! Reds not being given a prayer on the local media, but im pulling for the Waratahs, everything still compared to the Cheika era in these parts

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

swiwi_ wrote: »
    You get a horizontal gale in Cardiff. Leinster-Cardiff solved my insomnia issues :D

the light grey with swirling wind soothes a hangover :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Hopefully this new format will equal what all MZ fans want and that's less more local games. Everyone I spoke to in NZ wanted more games against NZ teams.

Advertisement