Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Gertrude - January 29th

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Carnacalla wrote: »
    People may be underestimating the winds as it peaked after 12 and before 8am in alot of places, while many people were sleeping.

Sleep these last nights has been fractured up here... south kerry mountains 400 asl.. Seems like every night of late!

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Its a small island yet a big place. Gertrude did nothing for me in the midlands. Unfortunately these warnings are generating a media buzz that translates into social media panic. These storms tend to be bigger in the west of the country and thats always been the way as thats how a lot of our weather is generated. Dublin based media pick up on it and report armageddan. When armageddan doesn't happen, we get moany holes claiming that met eireann are talking ****e. David Lean made Ryans Daughter here in 1970. He waited for winter storms in Kerry, but had to go to Co. Clare to actually get one.

As I said. Small island yet a big place.

Perspective.

As I do not use social media or TV/radio, does not worry me. need to know weather dangers well ahead out here in the wilds. Sad that folk have nothing more to worry about than grumbling!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Red warnings aren't that common and are taken seriously when they occur. You'd sware with some postings that red warnings will.be seen as only a little weather front by the general population. It won't!

With Darwin the red warning did not go out early enough and we have learned from that. Kids stranded in schools with trees falling is not good. Our Mobile Library had to hide in Port McGee all that while...Up to folk if they choose to ignore the warnings..

The highest gust I recorded was 45 mph at 04.10 am, I just don't seem to get the strong winds of these storms. When the old timers built my cottage 200+ years ago they seem to have known where to put it.

Indeed yes. This old house is in the ONE slightly raised bit of land hereabouts. For which I have been very grateful this winter. There were sheltering trees to the north but they cut them down when they renovated.

Advertisement