Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Gertrude - January 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Jaysus a warning for some ice and small bit of snow!!

What bloody next, this is becoming a bloody joke.

Yeah, imagine a weather forum having threads to discuss weather events :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

It is only a yellow warning (Be aware) And only for higher parts of the north west.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yeah, imagine a weather forum having threads to discuss weather events :rolleyes:

Not giving out about that, I am saying MET Eireann are issuing warnings now for anything, it will get to the stage where they will become ineffective.

kittyn wrote: »
    Well then don't bother posting or reading the forum .......

This forum doesn't issue the warnings and because I don't agree with a warning doesn't mean I shouldn't read this forum

Forums are about opinions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

This forum doesn't issue the warnings and because I don't agree with a warning doesn't mean I shouldn't read this forum

You have given out about warnings a lot lately and Met Eireann give them out for a reason, they have criteria that they use to issue warnings.

So therefore in your opinion it won't be too bothersome in your area and that's great for you ! However the warnings are not issues just for your area

• Advertisement

Not giving out about that, I am saying MET Eireann are issuing warnings now for anything, it will get to the stage where they will become ineffective.

The warnings apply for different parts of the country from where you exist, it doesn't make them meaningless. There are very clear and specific parameters for when ME will issue a warning, so unless you want to be constructive about those parameters, it'll just seem like you're being overly egocentric in your complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yellow warnings are really only for those that are vulnerable. Not something for most people to worry about. I think they have the colour codes spot on to be honest. If its yellow I can carry on as normal, if it's orange I'll access the risk. Obviously for red it's stay in doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why do you seem so pushed on enstilling your opinion as fact then?

Dickerty wrote: »
    I am flying to US on Sunday, would we expect the heavy winds to be fully gone by then?

Think the term is "Strong" winds.

US flights are far less affected by strong winds than other flights. You should be fine. What's your departure Airport?

kittyn wrote: »
    You have given out about warnings a lot lately and Met Eireann give them out for a reason, they have criteria that they use to issue warnings.

So therefore in your opinion it won't be too bothersome in your area and that's great for you ! However the warnings are not issues just for your area

"Alot" Really!! I thinnk you will find I didnt give out about the warning yesterday, I said the time and area should be added to it thats all.

I never said the warnings were for my area. I said the one for tomorrow was a bit OT

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »

Like where?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cliff Cam 1 is the ticket, even has audio! http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/cliff-cam
    3 is pretty great aswell, seems to have its own windscreen wiper! Bookmarked:

http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/cliff-cam-3

Thargor wrote: »
    3 is pretty great aswell, seems to have its own windscreen wiper! Bookmarked:

http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/cliff-cam-3

Or its a penguin waving for help!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Like where?

If you two want to have a personal spat then take it to PM and stop derailing the thread

Thanks

There is a new thread to discuss the current ICE/SNOW warning issued by Met Eireann HERE

Lumi wrote: »
    If you two want to have a personal spat then take it to PM and stop derailing the thread

Thanks

I have made 1 comment into the issue, its the other user who continuously brings up the issue with respect Lumi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just take a look at this cam in Shetland the wind is tearing the sea apart, love to know what strength it is there, in ten minutes of watching the tide must have risen by a foot its level with the quay wall now.

http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/shetland-museum

BBC Scotland now reporting wind gust of 105mph has been recorded in Shetland

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-scotland-35436420

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

I worked in Shetland for 2 years if you love crazy weather that's the place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Seems Gurty's left a few gusts around and is sweeping them up now.......the wind has really picked up now in advance of a squall of rain. Am watching the neighbours shed roof flapping wildly. !!!!!
    S Sligo 150asl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Storm 10 wrote: »

I was stuck there for 8 hours a couple of years ago *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭simone79

Yea lol more like 5 drops of snow and a cube of ice is all we will get Ireland exaggerates the weather so much a breeze is a storm a inch of snow is a avalanche lol

simone79 wrote: »
    Yea lol more like 5 drops of snow and a cube of ice is all we will get Ireland exaggerates the weather so much a breeze is a storm a inch of snow is a avalanche lol

Those warnings are put out to warn people about ice or a covering of snow on roads etc , given the state of our roads if only one life is saved its brilliant, if they never gave out a warning they would be slated by the media for not doing so.

Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

People seem to be getting wiser to it now. A few weeks ago a thead titled storm Gertrude would have clocked fifty pages by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Those warnings are put out to warn people about ice or a covering of snow on roads etc , given the state of our roads if only one life is saved its brilliant, if they never gave out a warning they would be slated by the media for not doing so.

Get over it.

And they matter to those of us who live in more remote rural areas. I am grateful for them as I can plan my outgoings and needs in safety. Getting stuck in floodwater or under a tree is downright irresponsible.. I got caught by the beginnings of Storm Frank as he arrived earlier than expected and not funny. If you are in a city, fine maybe. Will never forget that drive home. As I drove, roads were closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

A terrible nights sleep last night. The gusts were the loudest I have heard in a good while. Got into work this morning to find no electricity. The supply was reestablished about 11.30. Location Leitrim.

We live in a very small island with many different types of weather, depending on location. Is that so very hard for some to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

simone79 wrote: »

Last night was hardly a breeze in some parts of the country.

And in other parts of Ireland, last night was exceptionally windy:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/storm-gertrude-game-of-thrones-dark-hedges-2573935-Jan2016/

http://www.thejournal.ie/storm-gertrude-game-of-thrones-dark-hedges-2573935-Jan2016/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I didn't mean there was hardly a breeze. I meant you would hardly call the wind experienced by many/most a breeze.

Advertisement