Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Gertrude - January 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

MJohnston wrote: »
    And in other parts of Ireland, last night was exceptionally windy:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/storm-gertrude-game-of-thrones-dark-hedges-2573935-Jan2016/

I recorded 117 km/hr around 4 in the morning last night in Castlebar, some people ( a small selection ) think that as the island is small we all get the same weather, thus when they get a moderate breeze the weather everywhere else cannot be worse than that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Gusts of 103 and 104mph reported from Gullfax in Nort Sea and Oslo. 35 ft swells reported by K7 bouy off north-west Scotland.

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Live-Winds/1/?zoom=6&ll=60.14154616905928,7.029784374999997&filters=wind&type=station

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Gusts of 103 and 104mph reported from Gullfax in Nort Sea and Oslo. 35 ft swells reported by K7 bouy off north-west Scotland.

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Live-Winds/1/?zoom=6&ll=60.14154616905928,7.029784374999997&filters=wind&type=station

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Xenji wrote: »
    I recorded 117 km/hr around 4 in the morning last night in Castlebar, some people ( a small selection ) think that as the island is small we all get the same weather, thus when they get a moderate breeze the weather everywhere else cannot be worse than that ;)

Some people clearly don't travel in their own country enough :) 10 miles can be enough for a big difference in weather in some parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Grange statistics for Storm Gertrude

Max. wind gust: 114 km/hr, 70 mph
    Rainfall: 12.4mm
    Sunshine: 0.6 hours
    Max. temperature: 9.5c
    Min. temperature: 8.6c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

People may be underestimating the winds as it peaked after 12 and before 8am in alot of places, while many people were sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

must have been strong gust here in Mayo, blew the trampoline 600M across two fields. It was held down with 6 pieces of re bar 1M long!!
    It has been fine for the last year,:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

John mac wrote: »
    must have been strong gust here in Mayo, blew the trampoline 600M across two fields. It was held down with 6 pieces of re bar 1M long!!
    It has been fine for the last year,:eek:

Well its been the worst wind event since the 13/14 red alerts here just outside Newport, Mayo.
    I'm more than used to stormy weather where I'm situated. We're about 250m above sea level on a very exposed hill and regularly get hammered by the Sw winds. The landscape behind us funnels the winds directly at our dormer house.
    Last night the bottle of water beside my bed was vibrating with the large gusts.
    So I say a deserved orange alert from met.ie there, certainly for my location anyway.

Gertrude has been the windiest storm Grange has experienced so far this season

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

The highest gust I recorded was 45 mph at 04.10 am, I just don't seem to get the strong winds of these storms. When the old timers built my cottage 200+ years ago they seem to have known where to put it.

• Advertisement

The rain was extremely heavy from 3:00 - 7:40 this morning. It did not look anything like what it showed on the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

This week is weird. I have noticed that people generally haven't a clue what's going on with the weather at the moment. People were glued to the forecasts in November/December/Xmas but now nobody seems to be taking any notice. I am in Galway and loads of people seemed surprised with the flooding in Salthill during the week and the wet/windy periods of recent days....like it came out of nowhere. Many people have simply stopped watching the weather forecasts or are not bothered talking about the weather in January. Maybe they are immune to the storms and rain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

This week is weird. I have noticed that people generally haven't a clue what's going on with the weather at the moment. People were glued to the forecasts in November/December/Xmas but now nobody seems to be taking any notice. I am in Galway and loads of people seemed surprised with the flooding in Salthill during the week and the wet/windy periods of recent days....like it came out of nowhere. Many people have simply stopped watching the weather forecasts or are not bothered talking about the weather in January. Maybe they are immune to the storms and rain now.

Its a small island yet a big place. Gertrude did nothing for me in the midlands. Unfortunately these warnings are generating a media buzz that translates into social media panic. These storms tend to be bigger in the west of the country and thats always been the way as thats how a lot of our weather is generated. Dublin based media pick up on it and report armageddan. When armageddan doesn't happen, we get moany holes claiming that met eireann are talking ****e. David Lean made Ryans Daughter here in 1970. He waited for winter storms in Kerry, but had to go to Co. Clare to actually get one.

As I said. Small island yet a big place.

Perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

I think you hit the nail on the head there Baggy Trows. There has been so many types of "weather" (record breaking extremes) over the last 2 months that everybody is "weather immune" now.

Do you know what would fix that ? 2 weeks of lovely snow and sunny skies.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. There has been so many types of "weather" (record breaking extremes) over the last 2 months that everybody is "weather immune" now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

NMB wrote:
    I think you hit the nail on the head there. There has been so many types of "weather" (record breaking extremes) over the last 2 months that everybody is "weather immune" now.

NMB wrote:

I actually think the naming of all these storms makes met.ie look like a Facebook teenager looking for likes. They'd seriously want to cop on and forget they ever had this idea once the trial period is over.

I actually think the naming of all these storms makes met.ie look like a Facebook teenager looking for likes. They'd seriously want to cop on and forget they ever had this idea once the trial period is over.

It was a joint idea between the UK Met and the Irish Met, surprised with the names though as they consulted the public on them and asked for suggestions.

Just wait until Zeberdee bounces onto the scene, then I'll know that naming storms has gone too far.

Time for bed! :P

Personally I quite like the names. We heard of the Americans and Europeans doing it for years, always made it seem better.

When a big storm hits, everyone will remember its name.

It's gotta be a "Zach" storm Zak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

NMB wrote: »

Yeah it was weird this week. I work in Galway city and there were loads of people looking at the flooding in Salthill car park on the Indo the other day saying "Why didn't someone warn us?". They simply hadn't a clue that bad weather was coming. Did you see the amount of cars destroyed? People did not hear or heed the alerts.

Anyone else think it's a bit windy out tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

certainly is very blustery in the showers , gusting 51 knots at Malin head on the 11pm reports. a cold 3 degrees at knock also, snow there tomorrow morning.

Some good strong gusts here now, I wasn't really expecting it.
    Nothing severe now, just surprised at how strong some gusts are.

NMB wrote: »
    I think you hit the nail on the head there Baggy Trows. There has been so many types of "weather" (record breaking extremes) over the last 2 months that everybody is "weather immune" now.

A month like November 2010 would be perfect for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

It's the classic "Cry Wolf" scenario. Caused not only by Met Eireann naming strong winds but also by media reaction to it, (including social media.)
    Now people see "Storm X" approaching, and "X Alert issued" and don't take any heed.
    Soon they will need and "ULTRA RED RED RED WARNING!!!" to get peoples attention.

Red warnings aren't that common and are taken seriously when they occur. You'd sware with some postings that red warnings will.be seen as only a little weather front by the general population. It won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pretty stormy here in Donegal, a wild night you can say.

corsav6 wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's a bit windy out tonight?

Gusting around 90 km/hr the last hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Pangea wrote: »
    Pretty stormy here in Donegal, a wild night you can say.

& it's gonna get a lot colder, although it feels like it has already, but before i go.
    If i can boldly ask with my limited knowledge, but am i mistaken but didn't we have storm gertrude a while ago?

Is it with every storm there's a new name or the same ferocity is matched with that similar storm, as when i heard it in the news that Malin Head got around 130km (Fri)
    Although similar to Hurricanes, some are retired, like Katrina, but i don't think that will happen here.

Thanks for listening & now time for a warm duvet :)

Advertisement