Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

I can confirm that we (Phase 2 Herron) did not have to pay for the archway between the sitting room and Kitchen. However, we were contacted after the fact by Mcinery seeking payment for Doors? After informing them we received no doors they went away. I got the impression they always intended to charge for all these works but due to their own feiclessness didn't manage it.

All the same, if you have a quote from Ballymore to do it for free...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dovetail

I'm not up to date with the posts about internet for Royal Canal Avenue. Virgin Media just told me that they are not able to provide service to this address for now. I contacted Eir asking about broadband only rates and they told me that I must first take out phone line rental before they can tell me if they can provide internet to my address. I think this was a bit odd. Has anybody on Royal Canal Avenue had any success with getting connected to a service provider? if yes, which provider? thanks.

dovetail wrote: »
    I'm not up to date with the posts about internet for Royal Canal Avenue. Virgin Media just told me that they are not able to provide service to this address for now. I contacted Eir asking about broadband only rates and they told me that I must first take out phone line rental before they can tell me if they can provide internet to my address. I think this was a bit odd. Has anybody on Royal Canal Avenue had any success with getting connected to a service provider? if yes, which provider? thanks.

I'm on Royal canal avenue. It was a mighty saga indeed. The Eircom guys gave completely contradictory information to me. I first had to get a telephone line, then I had to get 8 Meg ADSL, and as soon as that was wired up, they told me I could get 100Meg Fiber (VDSL) Engineer will be out this week. In total we had KN engineers out 5 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭minkey

Hi

I contacted Vodafone and they couldn't find details in the system of our house (naturally as its new) so I gave them the neighbours addresses and they could see speeds of 100Mb available so I "think" we should be able to get connected shortly. I think at this point they contact Eir to make the line to my house active. I have booked in to get Vodafone BB and TV. So just a question for anyone already setup.
    When the engineer comes out assuming the connection to the front porch is live, where do they connect the modem? Is the connection in the hallway the one that's connected out to the outside porch?
    The reason I ask is because I will then want to connect the Modem directly to the cables in the utility room. I have already terminated some of the cables in the utility room with rj45 connector plugs, but I might hold off till the broadband is installed.
    But my main question is where the "master phone in" line connection is located in the house generally. Im assuming its not one of the connections in the utility room

Alternatively if we go with Virgin my understanding is everything comes in on the one coaxial cable, so again just wondering how the engineer knows which is the master cable in.. or is this in the hall downstairs

Many Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nordstrom

Assuming your place is wired similarly to ours, you put the modem in your utility room. There is one set of wires which runs from the white plastic box outside into the utility room, all the other wires run to living rooms and bedrooms. So having the modem here can service all the other rooms with a wired connection. the engineer will go into the white box outside and connect you up here.

• Advertisement

minkey wrote: »
    Hi

I contacted Vodafone and they couldn't find details in the system of our house (naturally as its new) so I gave them the neighbours addresses and they could see speeds of 100Mb available so I "think" we should be able to get connected shortly. I think at this point they contact Eir to make the line to my house active. I have booked in to get Vodafone BB and TV. So just a question for anyone already setup.
    When the engineer comes out assuming the connection to the front porch is live, where do they connect the modem? Is the connection in the hallway the one that's connected out to the outside porch?
    The reason I ask is because I will then want to connect the Modem directly to the cables in the utility room. I have already terminated some of the cables in the utility room with rj45 connector plugs, but I might hold off till the broadband is installed.
    But my main question is where the "master phone in" line connection is located in the house generally. Im assuming its not one of the connections in the utility room

Alternatively if we go with Virgin my understanding is everything comes in on the one coaxial cable, so again just wondering how the engineer knows which is the master cable in.. or is this in the hall downstairs

Many Thanks

Unless you tell them other wise the KN Network engineer will install the modem in your hall. He/She will fit a DSL like the one below where there is a blank panel in the hallway. Our electrician was telling us some of the other new houses in RCP had been connected up like this. So, be sure to be there and be sure to tell him to install the slitter in the utility run and make a connection in the hall.

http://www.electrical-contractor.net/Forum/International/R0010796.JPG

Note: Virgin is 100% not an option anywhere in the new part of the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

nordstrom wrote: »
    Assuming your place is wired similarly to ours, you put the modem in your utility room. There is one set of wires which runs from the white plastic box outside into the utility room, all the other wires run to living rooms and bedrooms. So having the modem here can service all the other rooms with a wired connection. the engineer will go into the white box outside and connect you up here.
    I have discussed this with the electrician who is wiring the hose, The internet connection from outside terminates in the hall, There is a loop from there into the utility room, You need some one to come in to make that loop active, then you can have your modem in the utility room. I have a person lined up to do this, To make all of the points in the house active and to fit a switch in the utility room to manage all of the connections.

Has anyone had kitchen changes completed by Fitzgerald Kitchens, If so when did you pay for the changes?

They have asked me to pay up front before the work is done and it is snagged, What have other peoples experience been? I don't like paying for work upfront.

Nhol78 wrote: »
    I have discussed this with the electrician who is wiring the hose, The internet connection from outside terminates in the hall, There is a loop from there into the utility room, You need some one to come in to make that loop active, then you can have your modem in the utility room. I have a person lined up to do this, To make all of the points in the house active and to fit a switch in the utility room to manage all of the connections.

Ours goes straight to the utility room, I opened up the socket in the hall there now and there's 2 wires in there not joined up. It does make sense that it would go through the hall so now I'm confused. Anyway a switch in the utility room will do the trick for you.

Ours goes straight to the utility room, I opened up the socket in the hall there now and there's 2 wires in there not joined up. It does make sense that it would go through the hall so now I'm confused. Anyway a switch in the utility room will do the trick for you.
    If you have not had some one out to put the right connections on then it is probably only wired as a phone line and not for internet / Networking

• Advertisement

No it's only wired for internet, we didn't get a phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Has anyone had kitchen changes completed by Fitzgerald Kitchens, If so when did you pay for the changes?

They have asked me to pay up front before the work is done and it is snagged, What have other peoples experience been? I don't like paying for work upfront.

I paid for the kitchen island change up front.

Haven't gotten into the house yet. I'll let you know what it looks like. But I've heard they get the changes done. Might be snags though as usual.

Weird. The loop is definitely the way they are all meant to be wired. Did you get cat 6
    cronos wrote: »
    I paid for the kitchen island change up front.

Haven't gotten into the house yet. I'll let you know what it looks like. But I've heard they get the changes done. Might be snags though as usual.

Same for us. We had issues with the changes thought and had to get them back due to broken drawers and missing shelves. One item we requested and paid for was simply not done. I've contacted them several times with regards a refund but I just gave up as life is too short.

I prefer the kitchen we have over the show house but Christ it was heart breaking dealing with these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Manion wrote: »
    Unless you tell them other wise the KN Network engineer will install the modem in your hall. He/She will fit a DSL like the one below where there is a blank panel in the hallway. Our electrician was telling us some of the other new houses in RCP had been connected up like this. So, be sure to be there and be sure to tell him to install the slitter in the utility run and make a connection in the hall.

so apart from having the (Eir/vodafone/whoever) network engineer fit the connection in the utility room, its all wired up and ready to go!

I read somewhere that the houses were wired for phones using an RJ11/12, and not network with an RJ45, so hearing otherwise is good news!

Thanks for the feedback, I will pay up front and if the work is not done I will tell Ballymore that I am not closing until they kitchen company do it.
    In relation to CAT 6 the electrician is wiring my house in a week or so with it.

Thanks for the feedback, I will pay up front and if the work is not done I will tell Ballymore that I am not closing until they kitchen company do it.
    In relation to CAT 6 the electrician is wiring my house in a week or so with it.

Nhol,did you just ask Ballymoe to use Cat 6 instead of Cat 5?
    Can you confirm they wire it all up to RJ45 connectors?

The houses are not all wired up, The sockets in all of the rooms are RJ11 as you mentioned, you need some one to come out and to crimp them and to fit RJ45 Sockets. Also i am not sure if the the internet provider will run the connection to the utility, most only do it to the hall where it is already live.

You need to ask the electrician to put in CAT 6 cable's he will charge you extra for this and get a 3rd party to do the rest, he can give you a name of a person to do it.

The houses are not all wired up, The sockets in all of the rooms are RJ11 as you mentioned, you need some one to come out and to crimp them and to fit RJ45 Sockets. Also i am not sure if the the internet provider will run the connection to the utility, most only do it to the hall where it is already live.

You need to ask the electrician to put in CAT 6 cable's he will charge you extra for this and get a 3rd party to do the rest, he can give you a name of a person to do it.

Is my understand now correct in thinking that Ballymoe arrange the electrician and thats taken care of before i move in, i just need to request Cat 6 (and pay the extra fee of course for the higher spec cable).

Then, when i move in, i get my own guy (or guy recommended by Ballymoe) to come in and put in RJ45's.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Those who got their garden sheds, did the shed company provide for leveling the backyard and installing some kind of base, or should I start looking for a shovel and a few bags of gravel?

also, could somebody PM some contact details and approx how much they paid for their garden sheds? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

also, could somebody PM some contact details and approx how much they paid for their garden sheds? thanks.

+1 for this

There was a couple of windy nights last week and the wind coming down through the fan duct in the ensuite on the middle floor was very noisy. Interested to know if anybody else been having the same problems? were Ballymore able to fix it?

Hi

Back to the broadband and home network. I just want to verify something

Before the first fix or second fix I got the house rewired with CAT 5 with RJ45 cables (Im not running a datacenter so don't really care about CAT6 :) hope I don't regret that in the future )as I was told the house was only wired for telephone RJ11... but Im wondering was it actually rewired at all or do they just use CAT5 cables anyway , as you can send the phone signal using RJ45 anyway?
    Also just curious how much people are paying to get someone to crimp the cables and network the house. Ill be doing this myself as I work in the industry.

Other than that I just wanted to comment , Im only in one week but the quality and the finish of these houses I feel anyway is fantastic. Its warm , the storage is very well thought out and I have not had any issues with anything so far. I'll give a more detailed report for people still weighing up whether to buy in, but for me the location, quality of build and reasonable price...considering the location would be hard to beat in Dublin at this time
    There are of course some negatives, but you have to weigh that up for yourselves

Also plus with the shed, if anyone could PM me details it would be great

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Are you going to put some kind of patch panel in the utility room?
    Do all the cables terminate there in a conduit of some kind?

I understood from previous comments that the houses are wired with Cat5.. Just with the incorrect face plates, If that's not the case I would like to know.

Also I never checked but I take it there is no garden tap fitted?
    I don't know why many developments are failing to fit basics like those.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

There was a couple of windy nights last week and the wind coming down through the fan duct in the ensuite on the middle floor was very noisy. Interested to know if anybody else been having the same problems? were Ballymore able to fix it?

We've been having this issue in the Ash. Jason, the building supervisor, told me to record it, so that he can determine whether the flap was improperly installed. He said that to fix it, they'd need to build scaffolding to get onto the roof safely, so a little investigation before doing that is warranted.

Hi

Yes I can confirm there is no outdoor tap, you have to request that. Also if you want an electrical supply brought out to the back garden it might be worth checking during the building stage .
    Yes if anyone can confirm about the CAT5 cables Id like to know. My understanding was that it was RJ11, but if this is not the case Ill be a bit annoyed as I paid extra to have CAT 5 cables put in.. and then the correct face plate put on ...but not the correct connection. Ill try to find out myself and will post up the details here

Re the patch panel. I wont be putting one in. I just need 4 rooms connected so Im planning on putting the router in the utility and using the ports on that ..with the other connection out to the telephone line

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

We got sockets in the back garden as standard. No tap though.

I see the new phase is launching this weekend. 3 beds from 345k.

Hi

Just to confirm , yes there is an outdoor socket as standard, but if you want a burried cable to future proof putting in a shed it might be handy to have a supply at the end of the garden. Might not be necessary, but just something to consider

minkey wrote: »
    Hi

Back to the broadband and home network. I just want to verify something

Before the first fix or second fix I got the house rewired with CAT 5 with RJ45 cables (Im not running a datacenter so don't really care about CAT6 :) hope I don't regret that in the future )as I was told the house was only wired for telephone RJ11... but Im wondering was it actually rewired at all or do they just use CAT5 cables anyway , as you can send the phone signal using RJ45 anyway?
    Also just curious how much people are paying to get someone to crimp the cables and network the house. Ill be doing this myself as I work in the industry.

According to the brochure we received the house is wired with Cat5e, so good for 1000Base-T Gigabit. I've not tested it but will do later. Your house wasn't rewired, they are using the Ethernet cables for the phone line and only connecting a single twisted pair. I asked Jason why they are messing around pretending that people need or want phone connections if every room, he didn't really answer.

Or electrician recommended a chap for the RJ45 panels, I think it was 10 Euro a panel supply and fit. I thought about doing it myself but and I may regret not doing it myself if I find it hasn't been wired up correctly.

Are you going to put some kind of patch panel in the utility room?
    Do all the cables terminate there in a conduit of some kind?

I understood from previous comments that the houses are wired with Cat5.. Just with the incorrect face plates, If that's not the case I would like to know.

Also I never checked but I take it there is no garden tap fitted?
    I don't know why many developments are failing to fit basics like those.

Yes, all cables terminate in the utility room behind a blank panel. Same for the Coax cables for the TV. Also the same for the alarm wires. From talking to Ballymore it appears that pretty must every single purchaser is asking the same questions about wiring. You'd think they'd just include the wiring diagrams in the welcome back and cut down on the hassle all around. They definitely have this information to hand.

• Advertisement

Yep cat 5e wires are installed. The sockets are all rj11 so no use for Ethernet. You can purchase all the rj45 sockets plus a punch down tool for probably less than 40 euros. I did all the rewriting myself and it's working great. One of my earlier posts in this thread has links to where I got the stuff.

Advertisement