Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Game of the Week, Week 5

Options
  • 25-01-2016 5:22pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, this week....
    Not so sure...

Rise of the Robots?
    no... though SteveX2 would love it....

I know
    Something truly awesome sauce!

s2-bginfo-detailsimg1full.jpg

tumblr_mkovowLWjZ1s9677oo1_500.gif

Links to the Past!
    Week 1 SoR2
    Week 2 Myth
    Week 3 SF2
    Week 4 Doom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What a fantastic, fantastic game. Graphics, sound track, level design, pacing, for an arcadey type pick up & play action platformer...this is right up there. Sonic 1 was a masterpiece, Sonic 2...yeah, they did it again. From here on the series begins to falter for me, so I hold 1 & 2 very dear in my retro gaming heart :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, you're saying that the second game in the franchise, in 1994, some 22 years ago, was the last time the franchise produced anything great, that the tide reached a high in 94 and has been going out ever since....
    That can't be right!!!!!
    Shadow_the_Hedgehog_Coverart.png
    latest?cb=20071002232232&path-prefix=en
    Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG
    Sh1t...
    That's fupping depressing right there...

Ha, more or less yeah. Sonic 3 & Knuckles were solid and great games...but for me anyway, they never reached the heights of Sonic 2....some 22 years ago as you say :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, you're saying that the second game in the franchise, in 1994

1992 actually

kimzFeAn_400x400.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

1992 actually

You're dead right,
    Meaning it's 24 years since the franchise reached it's zenith....
    Bugger....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yeah, even I feel old thinking about that.

was one of the few games I went out of my way to get pre-ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'm nowhere close to 30 and even I feel old now!

What a true classic of a game. Nothing to say what hasnt been said before except...

..this game IS blast processing!

What a true classic of a game. Nothing to say what hasnt been said before except...

..this game IS blast processing!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It's as old as me!

It's a great game though, Any time I've friends over the megadrive comes out and we usually stick on sonic 1 or 2 for a quick blast. It's still a lot of fun to play today. Although, controversially, my favourite in the series is Sonic CD

Go way outta that,youre 28 :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Although, controversially, my favourite in the series is Sonic CD

ugh... you're one of those then!

I actually remember the launch of this game. It was the second game launch I can remember that had a huge amount of hype around, the first being Mario 3 which came out when the NES had bottomed out in price and had a small bit of traction in Europe.

I remember seeing all the hype on Gamesmaster and being so pissed off I still only had a Commodore 64.

It's probably my favourite of the Sonic games, tonnes of levels, only 2 acts so they didn't grow old (except the final three act stage which was a nightmare!)

The game had zero impact on me I'm afraid.
    I bought into the MD on launch but, with the release of the SNES I upped and sold the lot, buying into SMW instead.
    I rebought the MD a little later, buying the console and into the likes of Virtua Racing and Sonic 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

One of the best 16-bit tunes ever, even my snes fanboyism can't deny it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

double post.

I'm not even clicking that, I'll be humming it for weeks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For all the morons that say the Megadrive has a dreadful sound chip compared to the SNES (I used to be one), Sonic 2 (and the series on the Megadrive really) is one to listen to and realise what a dope you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Never saw what the fuss was with Sonic. On release sonic 1 got mediocre reviews and me and my md owning mates were all lukewarm about it. No replay value in the days when £50 games had to last.

Sonic 2 was better but I remember sitting down with a friend on release day and beating it in a few hours, again in disappointment.

Forever in the shadow of Mario World for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nah its a work of art, just a unique childhood experience that would make you feel sorry for the Call of Duty generation. I think my brother and I must have finished it about 10 times in a row in one Christmas Holidays before we moved onto something else.

Super Mario World is on another level to Sonic but the MD Sonic games are far from crap. They might be easy but there's a huge amount of replay value considering the sprawling levels and the amount of secrets to uncover and different routes to take. It took me a very long time to get bored of beating any Sonic game I had on the MD.

Took me ages to see everything even the original had to show.
    Such a solid title.
    As I've barely played Sonic 2 I have a whole game to look forward to playing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I'm not saying it's rubbish or anything. The artwork, music and some of the level design is top class. It was a very different game to any other platformer before, and possibly since, but I feel the level of enthusiasm surrounding it in more recent years seems at odds with the feelings of many back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I loved it back in the day, had the Game Gear version. Only bit that truly frustrated me was the hang gliding section! Parts were so tough! Saying that, not played it in about 20 years (:o) but I did love it at the time.

Go way outta that,youre 28 :D

I wont be joining ye golden oldies for another few years

Star Lord wrote: »
    I loved it back in the day, had the Game Gear version. Only bit that truly frustrated me was the hang gliding section! Parts were so tough! Saying that, not played it in about 20 years (:o) but I did love it at the time.

Game Gear is a totally different game by a different developer. Those Hang Glider sections can **** right off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Unfortunately I never played the Sonic games when they came out, this was a Nintendo household back then (had to slum it with SMW and Zelda etc :P). I did feel a slight tinge of jealousy reading MD game reviews in C&VG though, some of the games looked amazing, Sonic especially. It also seemed to be the home for shooters at the time, Gynoug was another I remember reading about.

Actually, any time I fire up the MD now on the Trini, Sonic 1 is always the first game I put on - I just love how the colours burst out of the screen, gorgeous game. The music is great too.

Also played a little bit of Sonic Pocket Adventure on the NGPC. Plays pretty good and has decent music but the screen lets it down somewhat, you practically have to sit under a light to play it.

smQPiiQ.jpg

nEhrpbu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »

Also played a little bit of Sonic Pocket Adventure on the NGPC. Plays pretty good and has decent music but the screen lets it down somewhat, you practically have to sit under a light to play it.

nEhrpbu.jpg

Get yourself sorted with a frontlight mod for that neo geo pocket. Great little console, but yeah you have to be sitting under a lamp to play :0/

Wasn't a huge fan of the NGP Sonic game. It's made by the same team that went on to make the Sonic Advance games which I feel are a bit naff as well and the NGP game feels like them but less polished. Getting the Chaos Emeralds is also a major pain in the ass, you have one chance only to get them and if you **** up the mini game you have to reset the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Worst Sonic game I ever played had to be some pre-Symbian version downloaded over WAP, probably cost about €15 by the time I got it onto the phone aswell.

Thargor wrote: »
    Worst Sonic game I ever played had to be some pre-Symbian version downloaded over WAP, probably cost about €15 by the time I got it onto the phone aswell.

I played that version, I think it was similar to the Ngage version, utter tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,599 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

penev10 wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's rubbish or anything. The artwork, music and some of the level design is top class. It was a very different game to any other platformer before, and possibly since, but I feel the level of enthusiasm surrounding it in more recent years seems at odds with the feelings of many back in the day.

Not sure what you mean, Sonic 1&2 were huge successes for Sega upon release, received greatly and sold millions of copies globally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement