Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Game of the Week, Week 3

Options
  • 10-01-2016 5:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭

An obscure one this week....

Street Fighter II!
    sf2--article_image.jpg

street-fighter-2-o.gif

Best versions
    Worst versions
    Best hacks
    Best efforts.

Anything but this!
    1361262-street_fighter.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,623 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Super X: Turbo Revival on the GBA is one that really shouldn't be as good as it turned out. From my understanding, it's less a port and more a ground-up remake for the hardware, so even with two less attack buttons, it functions really well. Lots of characters get either brand new stages or ones nicked from Alpha, so it looks more than just a fresh coat as well. It does have that game-corrupting glitch that doesn't let you fight Akuma in arcade mode and dodgifies your data, though.

Do recall that absolutely dire port of Super Turbo they released on the PS2/Xbox Capcom Classics Collection 2 (alongside the original Street Fighter). In a game already notorious for its unforgiving AI, having an even more pronounced input lag than previous ports is not the right direction in which to go. It's made bizarre because they went all-out in commissioning tournament-veteran Dave Sirlin (who did the rebalancing for the later Super Turbo: HD Remix) to do a professional video tutorial on disc too, so it's a unique brand of laziness that condemns this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,996 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The first version I owned was the commodore 64 version. As always I was way behind most of my friends when it came to owning a console so I saw all my friends enjoying the SNES version of SF2. I was delighted when I heard it was coming to C64. I got it release day in a full price box. So much disappointment that day when I got home :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,996 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    It's made bizarre because they went all-out in commissioning tournament-veteran Dave Sirlin (who did the rebalancing for the later Super Turbo: HD Remix) to do a professional video tutorial on disc too, so it's a unique brand of laziness that condemns this one.

If you want to start taking fighting games seriously those Dave Sirlin videos are excellent for beginners. You can find them on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you want to start taking fighting games seriously those Dave Sirlin videos are excellent for beginners. You can find them on youtube.

It was a fine tutorial on the CCC2 disc, but undermined by the fact the Super Turbo it was training you for was outright unplayable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm just wondering when that amateur Doom will turn up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,623 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm just wondering when that amateur Doom will turn up ;)

An ICBM hadouken has been fired and is currently on its way to your location :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

The multi disk Amiga version is sore on the arms...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I only really remember playing a little bit of the Snes version, beat'em up's really passing me by, until the advent of Samurai Shodown on the 3DO, which I spent a lot of time on.
    I do recall what seemed like the entire nation going bananas over Street Fighter 2, and the rather cross exchanges when the Megadrive version was releaseed and Snes owners sneering at it....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I only really remember playing a little bit of the Snes version, beat'em up's really passing me by, until the advent of Samurai Shodown on the 3DO, which I spent a lot of time on.
    I do recall what seemed like the entire nation going bananas over Street Fighter 2, and the rather cross exchanges when the Megadrive version was releaseed and Snes owners sneering at it....

Have you had a go of the version for the 3DO? Its the "Turbo" edition and is pretty good actually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I remember first playing SF2 on a friend's Snes and thought it was amazing, don't think there was much like it at the time? Playing against your mates was intense.

As mentioned above, the Amiga version was woeful. I think it used 14 discs or something like that. And I can't remember how the moves were handled seeing as the joytsick only had 2 buttons.

But I fell in love with SF2 Turbo on the Snes after buying the steel tin version with the badge. The increased speed made SF2 feel crap in comparison. Always preferred playing as Ken in the P2 spot since I was better at doing fireballs from that direction. :pac:

I picked up Super SF2 but never warmed to the new characters (hated that Dee Jay twat) and lost touch with the game after that. Although I do like watching those Evo tournaments now and then even though I haven't a clue what the commentators are saying most of the time.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Have you had a go of the version for the 3DO? Its the "Turbo" edition and is pretty good actually.

It was the only home version of Super Turbo for a long time. Only good thing on the 3DO :p
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    don't think there was much like it at the time? Playing against your mates was intense.

Yep, SF2 was pretty much an original. There were fighting games before it but after SF2 all fighting games were patterned after it. Just look at Fatal Fury which came out around the same time. It was more in line with Yie Ar Kung Fu or Street Fighter 1 while Fatal Fury 2 was blatant SF2 rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It was the only home version of Super Turbo for a long time. Only good thing on the 3DO :p

What!!
    Have you never played Po'ed? :D:D

Steve X2 wrote: »

Yeah, I have it, never really played it though.
    I recall the controller though, very nice!
    Capcom-pad-3DO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I regularly play SF2 - on CPS1 & CPS2 when testing superguns. I'm thoroughly useless at it but to be fair I'm crap at most fighters. Don't think I've ever managed a special move on purpose !!

I prefer to shoot things..

width_650.height_300.mode_FillAreaWithCrop.pos_Default.color_White.jpg

Road and Track presents Need for Speed
    Road Rash
    Starfighter
    Super Wing Commander
    Wing Commander 3
    Star Control 2
    Return Fire
    Samurai Shodown
    Starblade

and of course, this beauty!

I still think Way of the Warrior is a finer Naughty Dog game than Last of Us.

I still think Way of the Warrior is a finer Naughty Dog game than Last of Us.

Now I know you are taking the michael, honestly Retr0, WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

First played SF2 in its Arcade form, there was always a queue to play it at lunch time, 10p coins lined up along the bottom of the screen. Never was much good with it, but I did enjoy it!

Next up was the MegaDrive version in my friends house! Loved it, but the 3 button/start switching made it tough to play.

Eventually got the SNES turbo version, and that beauty was revolutionary, the speed... Wow...

I remember being disappointed with the Megadrive version of Super SF2. It was a step too far for the machine and the sprites were much smaller than in previous games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Loved this growing up, although after the great friendship and camaraderie built up playing Streets of Rage, this would prove to be the game that had us killing each other. Used to have "rules" to make the fights a little fairer as both of us had mastered how to trap someone in the corner with constant sweeps and low attacks, so no corners was a big one.

Also, one of my best friends in college and I met when he asked me on the way to the pub did I want to drop in for a quick game. We were there for hours :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

My first memory of SF2 is the arcade version, in some run down ****hole of a place. I used to play it a lot & learned the game that way. It then arrived on the Snes and was incredible having the game at home. The port on the MD I felt was let down by the god awful sound (though some of the actual sound samples are more 'arcade perfect' than the Snes ones). It was also let down by the fact that most had three button pads, & pressing start to switch to kicks was game-breaking for me.

As the newer versions came out in the arcade, I grew ever more fanatical about the game - Champion Edition (still my own personal favourite), Hyper Fighting, Super SF2..and then the rage inducing Super Turbo (you could call this game so difficult it's broken :o). After that I kinda fell away from the series, & never really embraced the Alpha's, III, EX etc.

I do remember I got a loan of a Snes Action Replay for use with SF2 back in the day. The code I used is still etched in my memory - 7EOC 6001 - it made the game very fast (faster than Turbo), and there were others like altered colours, special moves in the air etc. Good times :)

There was a particularly interesting hack of the game I used to play a fair bit too when I could find it (there used to be one in Bray, & one in Quirckey's too). Technically it is referred to as SF2 M5, where two fireball's are released and they interchange in height between each other..pretty cool, though the game was desperately broken, as many of those hacks were...it was way too easy.

Only there last summer I tried to see how many of them I could complete on the hardest difficulty setting, on one credit. I beat SF2 & CE easily enough, Turbo gave me problems though. I eventually cleared that, moving past Super quite easily...and only ever made it to Akuma then in Super Turbo a handful of times. Never did beat him on one credit :( Maybe this summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

first played this in the piero is dun laoghaire. there use to be a que for it and it was 20p a go. then later on got it on the snes. thought it was brilliant at the time. but i may argue to say its not retro enough to have its full week of respect.

but i may argue to say its not retro enough to have its full week of respect.

It's older than the last retro game of the week :)

Myrddin wrote: »
    It's older than the last retro game of the week :)

seriously? i thought SFII was 92 off the top of my head and myth was 88 ? i could be wrong but surely SFII wasnt done in the 80s unless it took a long time before it got to ireland?

seriously? i thought SFII was 92 off the top of my head and myth was 88 ? i could be wrong but surely SFII wasnt done in the 80s unless it took a long time before it got to ireland?

Sorry, I meant Streets of Rage II :)

Sorry, when did '92 not be retro?
    Never mind '92, the whole decades consoles would be now considered retro, including late comers like the Dreamcast.
    The PS2 is a knocking on the retro door now too, some 16 years on from release.

And if any game has been played by every user in any games forum, it must be Street Fighter 2, it is the very definition of a ubiquitous gaming experience, though those experiences may differ.

Sorry, when did '92 not be retro?
    Never mind '92, the whole decades consoles would be now considered retro, including late comers like the Dreamcast.
    The PS2 is a knocking on the retro door now too, some 16 years on from release.

And if any game has been played by every user in any games forum, it must be Street Fighter 2, it is the very definition of a ubiquitous gaming experience, though those experiences may differ.

when i think of retro i dont just think of the age, i think of the originality. maybe im wrong in thinking that. like retro to me would of been the birth of the game, like for example: the 1950s whatever way u want to look at it are not retro lol.

streets of rage might of been decent in its day but if i was to describe the retro version of it i would probs say double dragon.

for SFII i would probs say karate champions (think thats the name). the likes of SFII while they are decent, i think its fair to say that its just washed, rinsed, repeat for its genre

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

when i think of retro i dont just think of the age, i think of the originality. maybe im wrong in thinking that. like retro to me would of been the birth of the game, like for example: the 1950s whatever way u want to look at it are not retro lol.

streets of rage might of been decent in its day but if i was to describe the retro version of it i would probs say double dragon.

for SFII i would probs say karate champions (think thats the name). the likes of SFII while they are decent, i think its fair to say that its just washed, rinsed, repeat for its genre

I think i get what your saying but games like SOR and Street Fighter 2 have gone down in history as not only being good beat em up's or fighting games but Just great games. To have the ability to play a great port of an instant arcade classic back in the early 90's was a major thing especially for younger kids who couldn't hang out in arcades much. While Double Dragon is certainly more retro than SOR, each game has different things to offer and thus appreciate. Retro to me is about enjoyment of playing games i love and also picking up the games you could not get originally: the thrill of the hunt is there too... Street Fighter 1 is another story...:)

• Advertisement

Street Fighter 2 however is a true original. It's a completely different game to the likes of karate champ and totally redefined fighting games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement