Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Game of the Week, Week 5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got to agree with O1s1n on this one. Sonic 1 was a very big deal back in the day. It single handedly gave Sega a boost in sales that made it the number one console in Europe and in the States as well (until Donkey Kong Country on the SNES in the US). I also remember the massive hype machine and marketing push behind Sonic 2. I knew about Sonic 2sday despite not having a Megadrive and it got a huge amount of coverage on Gamesmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'll just leave this here
    2s003ma.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

o1s1n wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean, Sonic 1&2 were huge successes for Sega upon release, received greatly and sold millions of copies globally.

I didn't mean commercially, obviously it was a huge seller, but critically the first game wasn't well received. And I'm really talking about my own experience within my circle of games mad friends back in the day.

I suppose I could say the same about any platformer of that era as smw set such a high bar. Kid chameleon, decappattack, bubsy, cool spot... All fairly poor.

Would the 8bit era be considered the golden age of the platformer? I've a lot more regard for some of those.

(this is why I usually swerve retro gaming debates as I just base everything on my faulty memory!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, critically Sonic wasn't well received by you and your mates, that's cool, but the bulk of Megadrive/Genesis owners and reviewers poured little other than lurve on the game and it's followup.
    I understand, I had a MD back in the day when a mate had a Snes and I would try to convince him and all of those crowding around Super Mario Kart that Road Rash II was superior, principally because it had hills and stuff.
    Sadly, no one bought into my delusion :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember Sonic 1 being very well regarded at the time, even in multiformat magazines.

Also Sonic 1 was released a few weeks before SMW in the States and nearly a year before the European release of SMW.

You have to also remember how strong fanboyism was back in the 90's. I always wanted a Super Nintendo because I wanted to play Mario games so much but when I got my Megadrive at Christmas 1993, Sonic was the king for me and Mario and Nintendo sucked. It was probably the same with your mates if they were Nintendo kids.

Sonic might not have been of the quality of SMW but not many platformers were. Sonic was still one of the few to give SMW a good run for it's money.

As for the golden age of platformers, it's hard to choose between the 8 and 16 bit era. Platformers on the NES got awesome from 1987 onwards and there were some incredible late 90's games for the platform but the SNES and Megadrive were home to equally great games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I'm playing through Sonic 2 on the 3DS at the moment.
    Very good indeed!
    Just made it past the Aquatic Ruin Zone and it was a blast, I'd never seen them before!
    Onwards and upwards!

So my proposal for the next game chosen.

Duke Nukem 3D which is twenty years old today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Doge

^^^ Fan boy mode engaged!

As for Sonic 2 it was the first Mega Drive game I owned and it blew me away.

So much so that playing Sonic 1 after it felt meh in comparison and to this day i have never bothered to complete it.

I remember the final levels got real epic and the ending screen was awesome.
    The zones were really diverse, it had some great multi layered level design and it felt like a real adventure.

The two player mode and the 3D Special Stages gave it a lot more of depth also, although theyre probably frustratingly diffcult to play now!

Remember the cheat that let you spawn different sprites anywhere in the level?

If 1 word could sum up the game it would be "fun", more fun imo than the more challenging Mario games, the reduced level difficulty, increaed speed and flow of the game is what made it more fun imo.

The Sega Master System version which i played first however was disappointing especially compared to the master piece that was Sonic 1 on the system, with the vibrant colours and Yuzo Koshiro delivering a beautiful 8-bit version of the soundtrack.

Sonic 2 on the SMS had a serious lack of polish compared to the first, and much more dull graphics. It had more of a weirdness to it, Scrambled Egg Zone anyone? lol

I have yet to play Sonic & Knuckles / Sonic 3 , the last i played back in the day was Sonic 3D Blast on the Megadrive but it did nothing for me.

I would have considered Sonic 3 to be my favourite of the series, up to now.
    The game save system allowed me to make headway despite being cursed with an inability to be competent at any videogame ever made :(
    The music in that one was fantastic, best of series I thought, and had a great use of samples.
    Also, the visuals and effects that they squeezed out of the MD was very impressive, as was the brave use of Sonic&Knuckles to expand and extend the game into something new, although the penchant for shoehorning in more characters seemed to have started there with the aforementioned Knuckles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    as was the brave use of Sonic&Knuckles to expand and extend the game into something new, although the penchant for shoehorning in more characters seemed to have started there with the aforementioned Knuckles.

It's not actually shoehorning, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was originally meant to be one single giant game...I think it was either time constraints or cart size that meant they had to split it into two?

• Advertisement

So, critically Sonic wasn't well received by you and your mates, that's cool, but the bulk of Megadrive/Genesis owners and reviewers poured little other than lurve on the game and it's followup.
    I understand, I had a MD back in the day when a mate had a Snes and I would try to convince him and all of those crowding around Super Mario Kart that Road Rash II was superior, principally because it had hills and stuff.
    Sadly, no one bought into my delusion :(

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/pdf/sonicmd.pdf

I was sure Mean Machines had given the game <80%

Looks like it was just me then!

penev10 wrote: »
    http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/pdf/sonicmd.pdf

I was sure Mean Machines had given the game <80%

Looks like it was just me then!

Well that's the really good thing about games with a bit of distance from their release.
    All the hype and guff tends to fall away and you are left with a stark, personal opinion that is as good as any other.

I don't like Streets of Rage or Golden Axe, everyone else loves them, but my opinion is as valid as everyone elses, Isn't it lads and lassies? ;)

Myrddin wrote: »
    It's not actually shoehorning, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was originally meant to be one single giant game...I think it was either time constraints or cart size that meant they had to split it into two?

I wasn't talking about levels or features, more that with Knuckles we soon got Amy Rose and a whole host of other characters, like this eejit
    latest?cb=20150907203928
    Who only Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy likes because of the frog

Well that's the really good thing about games with a bit of distance from their release.
    All the hype and guff tends to fall away and you are left with a stark, personal opinion that is as good as any other.

I don't like Streets of Rage or Golden Axe, everyone else loves them, but my opinion is as valid as everyone elses, Isn't it lads and lassies? ;)

I actually enjoyed Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast :o and the ones on the Gamecube with the hoverboarding sections and shooter bits weren't that bad.

So yeah, I'm on my own again!
    Retr0gamer wrote: »

As for the golden age of platformers, it's hard to choose between the 8 and 16 bit era. Platformers on the NES got awesome from 1987 onwards and there were some incredible late 90's games for the platform but the SNES and Megadrive were home to equally great games.
    I'm struggling to remember any 16bit ones bar SMW and Yoshi's Island, 8bit I have fond memories of Wonderboy 3, Megaman 2, SMB3, Psycho Fox and even Alex Kidd for all its weirdness.

Ah the opinion. Lots of argumentative people think that because it's their opinion it can't be wrong. They'd be current. However an opinion can be stupid :P
    I actually enjoyed Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast :o and the ones on the Gamecube with the hoverboarding sections and shooter bits weren't that bad.

So yeah, I'm on my own again!.

I really do not like the Sonic Adventure games. They were great at release but time has not been kind and a recent playthrough has left me feeling that they are actually awful and up there with the worst of Sonics modern insults to videogames.
    I'm struggling to remember any 16bit ones bar SMW and Yoshi's Island, 8bit I have fond memories of Wonderboy 3, Megaman 2, SMB3, Psycho Fox and even Alex Kidd for all its weirdness.

There's loads of great 16 bit ones other than sonic and Mario. Rocket Knight Adventures, doremi fantasy, magical pop'n, the donkey Kong Country games, Demons Crest, the Ghouls and Ghosts games, Dynamite Headdy, Plok, Monster World 4, both Konami Tiny Toons games, Batman and Robin and the Megaman 16 bit games. That's just off the top of my head.

Ah the opinion. Lots of argumentative people think that because it's their opinion it can't be wrong. They'd be current. However an opinion can be stupid :P

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Duke Nukem 3D which is twenty years old today.

Sorry, what? I refuse to believe that :eek:

Just spotted Duke 3D Megatron Edition is €1.50 right now on Steam until February 2nd. Seems like a good time as ever to buy the steam version.
    Im hoping theres a server for.online multiplayer
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Sorry, what? I refuse to believe that :eek:

The original 2D game will be 25 years old in June! :eek:

You know for the most opinionated member when it comes to gaming on boards.ie, i have never once seen Retr0 use the term "imo / in my opinion!"

Its almost like he tries to get his views across as fact the odd time on here! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I wasn't talking about levels or features, more that with Knuckles we soon got Amy Rose and a whole host of other characters, like this eejit
    latest?cb=20150907203928
    Who only Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy likes because of the frog
    I can't say no to Frogs. Even Slippy in Starfox, yet to meet anyone who likes him either, I think he's adorable for a toad (love Pudge the Toad <3).
    Amy Rose was in it long before Big though, I've a comic there from 93 with her in it I think. Wasn't she in CD too? I know she was in R of course with her car. I miss old school Amy though.
    I liked both Adventure Games but nothing beats Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

damn you Sera, now I've got an uncontrollable urge to Youtube the Sonic R soundtrack

• Advertisement

damn you Sera, now I've got an uncontrollable urge to Youtube the Sonic R soundtrack

Damn you Grouch, now I'm hearing the Sonic R themes in my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Damn you Grouch, now I'm hearing the Sonic R themes in my head!
    tumblr_inline_mosbevvuXp1qz4rgp.gif
    That was my plan all along! And there's no Batman to save you with his "urge for Sonic R ost reversal spray" either. Muhahahaha~
    tumblr_n3sruyW6ah1qdszopo1_500.png

I call you out, Fuzzy/Dizzy!!
    giphy.gif

Doge wrote: »
    You know for the most opinionated member when it comes to gaming on boards.ie, i have never once seen Retr0 use the term "imo / in my opinion!"

Its almost like he tries to get his views across as fact the odd time on here! :pac:

But I'm always right.... In my opinion.

I'm actually quite the fan of old school Amy Rose as well. Thought she was fun as the obsessive Sonic fanboy. She's just gotten boring now that they changed that.

But I'm always right.... In my opinion.

Sadly, a lot of the time, however much I try to argue with him, he's right.
    Which is why we all want to punch him in the testes see more of his enlightened opinions in A&R

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    The original 2D game will be 25 years old in June! :eek:

Isn't it amazing how much games changed in the 5 years between the originals and Duke 3D, compared to Duke 3D and games now?

I think that's why it seems so insane to think it's 20 years old.

Plus it also made me realize I would have been 12 when I was throwing money at those pixelated strippers :pac:

Save it for the next GotW!

FFVII was released 19 years ago today in Japan.

Maybe a good one for the week after.

• Advertisement

Just finished Sonic 2, admittedly with a little help from the generous save system on the 3DS version.
    What an excellent game, surprised it has taken me this long to get to it!

What about the 2 player mode though, the visual compression is ingenious though I don't think they repeated it in later games, did they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement