Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Game of the Week, Week 2

Options
  • 05-01-2016 8:51am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, this weeks Retro Game is Myth, on various formats, as suggested by Steve X2.
    I know nothing about this title so you shower are going to have to school me in it's excellence, or contradict Steve entirely and tell me why it ain't all that really!
    Also, let me know what's the best way to play it now?

0.jpg

Previous GotW Streets of Rage 2

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

-dat intro music-
    :)

One of my fave games ever, one of my favourite c64 soundtracks ever.
    It was done by system III on the c64 back when they could do no , wrong.Its a multilevel action platformer built around different eras of mythology , its bastard hard as well..only problem I have with it , is that the commy only had 1 button so you needed to use the keyboard for some actions.
    Best bet is C64 emu (VICE64?) , I'll slap it on later in the week on the bionic c64 I have (rasp-pie II, keyarah interface for the joysticks and emulation station..basically a c64 that can play anything up to ps2 games ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Never heard of it..misread it first and though it was Myst :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Never heard of it either, on first glance it looks like a kind of Another World/Flashback type game...pretty cool. Nice sound track too

• Registered Users Posts: 34,615 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Another 'never heard of it' here too. I see it was released on the Amiga too, will give that a whirl.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,984 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Another 'never heard of it' here too. I see it was released on the Amiga too, will give that a whirl.

C64 version seems to be the best way to play it. It was released on the NES as conan but it's a crap conversion and missing all the sampled speech and awesome music from the original.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Can we all give it a blast then, and come back with thoughts on it.
    Maybe we can wait for Steve to grace us with his awesome knowledge, along with Bob!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Can we all give it a blast then, and come back with thoughts on it.
    Maybe we can wait for Steve to grace us with his awesome knowledge, along with Bob!

Well my knowledge on it isn't awesome by any means. I just remember the first time I played it on the Amstrad CPC 464 and how much it pulled me in. The Amstrad version is technically a bit rubbish when compared to the C64 (some would say even compared to the Speccy version as it used a larger colour palette than the Amstrad for this game).
    I played it from start to finish on my trusty Amstrad green screen display, so the colour palette wasn't exactly something I noticed :)
    I did play it on the C64 maybe 2 years later and it's such a superior version of the game you should really forget the rest and go C64 (I prefer it on the 8bits as I think something was lost on the Amiga version).

In my opinion, technically the best way to play is on the C64, followed by Amstrad and Speccy(or maybe Speccy and then Amstrad). But for me I'll always think of the Amstrad when I see this game, even if it's not the best version to play, its my favourite version due to the fog of time that is nostalgia :)

7A6UPV6.jpg

Amstrad Longplay:

C64 Longplay:

Speccy Longplay:

Amiga Longplay:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, that looks like at least three different games there!
    The Amiga one looks like it should live on a Megadrive.
    The C64 one looks amazing, a Flashback/Another World variant as Myrddin says but it is running on a C64 instead of those games on PC/Amiga, an amazing feat!
    The Spectrum version looks very impressive for what it is, but definitely the lesser of the three, and as for the poor old Amstrad version, despite the computer being more capable than the Spectrum they seem to have made a lazy port, with fewer colours than the ZX edition, as pointed out by Steve.
    I must see if I "have" the Amiga CD32 version somewhere, give it a whirl

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Remember playing this back in '93 not long after getting the Amiga 600. Think it came as a bundle for the Amiga 600 HDD along with myst which needed the full meg upgrade to run...

smurf492 wrote: »
    Remember playing this back in '93 not long after getting the Amiga 600. Think it came as a bundle for the Amiga 600 HDD along with myst which needed the full meg upgrade to run...

Was it the same as the Amiga version pictured above?
    Was it worth the upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

The 600HDD was 499 pounds at the time for a bigger hard drive which anyone i knew who had the machine never usedand as a 13 year old i didnt notice much of an improvement in graphics so i would have said no Amiga 1200 came on the scene around then but most i knew had the plain 600 using as a games machine. Video above is the way it was on the Amiga.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CodeNameEagle

Cool i found a what game to play tonight from my tablet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

i cant figure out the controls for this. i have the c64 version but it seems impossible to change the weapons.....

i cant figure out the controls for this. i have the c64 version but it seems impossible to change the weapons.....

https://archive.org/stream/Myth_History_in_the_Making_1990_System_3#page/n9/mode/2up

Myth_History_in_the_Making_1990_System_3_0009.jp2&scale=2&rotate=0

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

thanks. the less than and greater than buttons were causing the confusion. still couldnt beat the first round though, will hve to invest in a joypad

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

i remember the intro music.

i remember the intro music.

system 3 were probs the best thing to ever happen to c64. the music in the last ninja is also unreal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement