Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 330e

Options
1666768697072»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm considering importing a 2016 330e.

Has there been any issue popping up with these older hybrids once past warranty?

Is maintenance/servicing more expensive for a hybrid compared to a normal petrol/diesel? Will I have to go to a main dealer for a service rather than my local guy?

As far as I'm aware there is extended warranty on the hybrid battery.
    The fear is have is that if something did go wrong and only bmw were able to fix it, it could be a bill for thousands without warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

And is there any major reason to get a 330e BMW over a 350e Merc?
    Maintenance, cost, performance?
    If something goes badly wrong will the Merc be more expensive?

From my own research the BMW has better driving and a slightly larger battery. The interior is a bit outdated.
    The Merc has a bit more HP. It has a larger petrol tank (50l vs 40l) but has smaller battery. More modern interior.

Thanks!

flanzer wrote: »
    ........... Battery doesn't perform well in the cold weather though. Probably gets about 13km on a full charge. Once the outside temp gets to about 13 degrees, I get about 18-22km, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I get in the summer months!

Wow, I didn't think the winter months would effect range that much on the BMW battery. Thanks for posting.

mickdw wrote: »
    The fear is have is that if something did go wrong and only bmw were able to fix it, it could be a bill for thousands without warning.

I suppose worst comes to worst you can just drive with the petrol engine and no battery for the rest of it's life time :D

If that was actually the case is the car a bit under-powered on just the petrol engine?
    Does the fuel efficiency become unreasonable?

And is there any major reason to get a 330e BMW over a 350e Merc?...........

Reviews reckon real world mpg of the merc is just about 40mpg even with regular charging. That's fairly woeful ..... I knockek 40mpg from a mild hybrid merc, admittedly the performance is nowhere near the 350e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Augeo wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't think the winter months would effect range that much on the BMW battery. Thanks for posting.

I probably tell I a lie. When it's lower than 3 or 4 degrees its gets me about 12km.
    5-10 degrees, about 14 or 15km
    Above 10 degrees, about 16-20km

But yes, in cold temps, battery is not great. I've started preconditioning the car, while on charge, and before leaving the house in the morning and then turn off the heater while driving. That gets me a couple of more kms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭User1998

Augeo wrote: »
    Reviews reckon real world mpg of the merc is just about 40mpg even with regular charging. That's fairly woeful ..... I knockek 40mpg from a mild hybrid merc, admittedly the performance is nowhere near the 350e.

You’ll get that if you charge it and drive it as a hybrid. Charge it, drive electric mon-fri and use hybrid on the weekend your average will be 100mpg easy. My average is 140mpg, this is from a Golf GTE but the theory of mostly electric driving and some hybrid driving giving 100mpg+ applies to any car. The more time the engine is off the better economy you’ll get

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭User1998

I suppose worst comes to worst you can just drive with the petrol engine and no battery for the rest of it's life time :D

If that was actually the case is the car a bit under-powered on just the petrol engine?
    Does the fuel efficiency become unreasonable?

Theres a big fear that batteries only last 10 years or whatever. They don’t, they pretty much last forever. Nothing is going to happen to them apart from maybe loosing 1km per year for the first few years, after that the degradation really slows down. If something does happen its going to be the next owner or the one after that, assuming you don’t run the car into the ground.

You’ll always have maximum power even if the batteries are dead. Fuel economy will suffer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

My 330e is 3.5 years old, owned from new.
    This morning I got at least 19km out of a fully charged battery. Probably got a bit more than that as was driving Eco mode on a national road which uses the battery as well as the petrol motor at times. So, some battery to get to national road, then eco-mode for maybe 20k and then electric only for remaining 16km on m50 - cruising at 100km/h.

Last night, I got about 15km out of a full battery running around town. So, how heavy you are with the pedal will impact the range as well.

In summer, I would get over 25km out of the battery.

User1998 wrote: »
    Theres a big fear that batteries only last 10 years or whatever. They don’t, they pretty much last forever. Nothing is going to happen to them apart from maybe loosing 1km per year for the first few years, after that the degradation really slows down. If something does happen its going to be the next owner or the one after that, assuming you don’t run the car into the ground.

You’ll always have maximum power even if the batteries are dead. Fuel economy will suffer

So would you expect 40-50MPG just on petrol for motorway driving?

• Advertisement

Can I avail of that warranty if I've imported the car?
    Can I just show up to any BMW dealer in Ireland and get them to fix it for free or do you need some sort of proof of warranty?

Bmw seem pretty good with honouring all aspects of UK warranties here but you would want to satisfy yourself.
    You can also buy the extended warranty from bmw which imo is the only way to go with these cars at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

Looking at a new G20 MSport 330e at the moment , GMFV on the PCP looks to be about 22500, anyone care to get their crystal ball out on the future value? I don’t expect much equity in it but perhaps with Brexit likely to be in force at that stage they might be holding their value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

MM3 wrote: »
    Looking at a new G20 MSport 330e at the moment , GMFV on the PCP looks to be about 22500, anyone care to get their crystal ball out on the future value? I don’t expect much equity in it but perhaps with Brexit likely to be in force at that stage they might be holding their value?

Taking brexit out of the equation as its an unknown, 3 year old msport 330e were freely available from UK last year for 20k for a low miler. I can't see any equity at all in 22500 gmfv.
    It's a trick to keep the repayments low. Do you have to go pcp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

Bmw seem pretty good with honouring all aspects of UK warranties here but you would want to satisfy yourself.
    You can also buy the extended warranty from bmw which imo is the only way to go with these cars at the minute.

I've got a 2016 330e with 86,000 miles. I rang for an extended warranty quote yesterday and the figures with a €335 excess were:

Comprehensive €832
    Named Component €703
    Driveline €511

I also got quotes for a lower excess and for including breakdown cover.

Comprehensive is the one I'd go for but I'm undecided if it's worth it. I expected the quote to be nearer€500.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Wailin

Technique wrote: »
    I've got a 2016 330e with 86,000 miles. I rang for an extended warranty quote yesterday and the figures with a €335 excess were:

Comprehensive €832
    Named Component €703
    Driveline €511

I also got quotes for a lower excess and for including breakdown cover.

Comprehensive is the one I'd go for but I'm undecided if it's worth it. I expected the quote to be nearer€500.

That's bloody expensive :(

Did you have to ring the UK site for a quote? I don't think there is one in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

Taking brexit out of the equation as its an unknown, 3 year old msport 330e were freely available from UK last year for 20k for a low miler. I can't see any equity at all in 22500 gmfv.
    It's a trick to keep the repayments low. Do you have to go pcp?

Fortunately I don’t but I like to look at all the options !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

Wailin wrote: »

Did you have to ring the UK site for a quote? I don't think there is one in Ireland.

Maybe it's the highish mileage? The manufacturer's warranty expired last June so I was told that I'd be unable to claim for the first month.

I rang the Irish number but was put through to the UK.

Wailin wrote: »

You're right, mad money. Save up that money and put it in a rainy day fund and you'll do better

MM3 wrote: »
    Fortunately I don’t but I like to look at all the options !

Whichever way you pay for it, it doesn't matter. It's only a cash flow trick nothing to do with the actual cost of the car, which, as any person with a dose of cop on will tell you, is the depreciation on the vehicle and not the monthly payments.

Car depreciates the same no matter what way you pay for it.

But back to the actual car, go for it.... They're a beauty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭bilbot79

bilbot79 wrote: »

There's more space in the car

Is the car insurance just based on the 2L petrol engine or do they take into account the battery boosts the BHP up to 250?

Unless you are very young, that is unlikely to make a lot of difference but of course they will have 250 bhp on their system for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement