Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 330e

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Batfink69

Moe1013 wrote: »
    Yikes! Seems a lot. I pay 460 for mine. Full ncb but I’m an old duffer (45). Don’t think elec makes a huge difference to premiums. Choosing the right company always does with bmw’s Etc

1st year €450, second year €525. Full NCB etc, 49 (ahem)

Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Batfink69 wrote: »
    1st year €450, second year €525. Full NCB etc, 49 (ahem)

Bren

I’m 35 and mine is almost quadruple that. 5 penalty points though and only third year on my own insurance after a gap of 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bmw_mdg

Anybody any idea why a full charge on 2106 330e suddently increased from 23-24 km to 40 km (on the dash) after a service, which included an software update. Is this real or an error or what? Also they apparently changed the starter motor becasue of a "recall". It now makes a "cluck" rather than a "clunk" when changing from electric to petrol, but I could be imagining a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Batfink69

bmw_mdg wrote: »
    Anybody any idea why a full charge on 2106 330e suddently increased from 23-24 km to 40 km (on the dash) after a service, which included an software update. Is this real or an error or what? Also they apparently changed the starter motor becasue of a "recall". It now makes a "cluck" rather than a "clunk" when changing from electric to petrol, but I could be imagining a difference.

I think this is great...you've gone from a clunk to a cluck. I think someone else has gone gruff. Mines been done today so will know by the weekend if I'm clucking, clunking or gruffing (or something else completely).

The last software update did increase km's per charge on the dash. It hasn't made any difference to mine, still goes the same distance, just shows a different distance left at different points of my journey.

Bren.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bmw_mdg

Thanks. I figured that the km display was more cosmetic than real.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe1013

The car starts with this theoretical range and adjusts with the actual driving you do. So you will see the range decrease in time. The update probably just resets the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I haven’t plugged in my car since the update but I put it into save mode for one particular stretch of motorway like I always do which puts about 5k back into the battery but today it put in 12k so yeah...can confirm something’s different. I’m charging it tonight so we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Now that the car is around a few years, what is the verdict on it?

Duffy's have a couple for sale, 2017 cars with around 40km on them. €28k with the standard 2 year warranty. With any issues etc would it be wise to only look at cars with warranty?

Need to research the differences in Sport vs SE spec.

Most of my driving is to/from work (across the town) where in fairness a Focus would do but would like something a bit different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Looked at them myself last year. Think of it as a 2 litre petrol with the bonus of a bit of hybrid technology and you won't be disappointed. But electric car, they are not. I drove one, very nice drive but in the end I found it hard to move back to 3 series from the 5 series I've been driving for a while. But certainly, go for a spin in one but make sure they have it fully charged for you, sometimes they aren't. I can see myself replacing either of the households 530D or Audi A6 with a 530e when the time comes in about 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Hi , I picked one up in the uk last week and loving it so far. I do small miles, and short journeys and it’s ideal for it, you will get up to 20 miles on electric. Try get a test drive there a nice car to drive, there’s great value in the uk an try go for m- sport.

• Advertisement

While I'd usually go to the UK for motorbikes, is there any BMW warranty you can pick up for UK cars? Is it possible to pay the €400 per year for the extended warrenty?

Also I might have the possibility of trading my BMW bike in Duffy's.

SachaJ wrote: »
    While I'd usually go to the UK for motorbikes, is there any BMW warranty you can pick up for UK cars? Is it possible to pay the €400 per year for the extended warrenty?

Also I might have the possibility of trading my BMW bike in Duffy's.

There’s 3 year warranty on all bmw cars here and Uk, so you will have balance of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think you can purchase warranty from bmw when manufacturer warranty is running out once certain conditions are met.

Looking at the UK there's about a €3000 saving over Ireland for a 2017 car.

I'd say easily that saving as the vrt is tiny.

mickdw wrote: »
    I'd say easily that saving as the vrt is tiny.

VRT is around €2000. A £20000 car is around €23000. Duffys have two advertised for €28000.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just make sure to do the maths though. A 2017 BMW from the UK would still have at least 12 months of the 3 year original BMW warranty remaining which is valid over here. If you bought the same car from a BMW dealer here it would come with the 2 year BMW approved used car warranty so technically it would be good beyond the 3 year manufacturer's warranty. Also dealer prices here tend to have a bit of discounting built into them though with BMW dealers it might not be as high you expect.

You can also get a quote on an extended warranty here, https://www.bmw-warranty.ie The most comprehensive package on there is pretty much the same level of cover you will get from a BMW dealer on one of their assured used cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

In my view better off going with a merc 350e

C350e looks a beautiful set up too and might be a slightly better investment as a completely new one is a bit away versus the 3 series being an old model right now.

C350e looks a beautiful set up too and might be a slightly better investment as a completely new one is a bit away versus the 3 series being an old model right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭sk8board

bazz26 wrote: »
    You can also get a quote on an extended warranty here, https://www.bmw-warranty.ie The most comprehensive package on there is pretty much the same level of cover you will get from a BMW dealer on one of their assured used cars.

Bmw emailed me this site when my 3 years ran out last July. Was €415 for the fully comp option on my 420d GC, excl the towing option (was over €500 otherwise). I think you can keep extending it each year up to 160,000km or 10 years.
    Also, when you put your reg into bmwservice.ie, it recognizes there’s a bmw warranty in effect, which is a good reinforcement that it’s all legit.

I’ll be getting another year extension this July.

Saw one in the wild on the way to work this morning in Drogheda. A blue M-Sport.

Might email a few dealers in the UK and see what they have - seems to be a few on Autotrader. Generally will they do a bit of a deal if the car is coming to Ireland? IE. It's an easy sale.

SachaJ wrote: »
    Saw one in the wild on the way to work this morning in Drogheda. A blue M-Sport.

Might email a few dealers in the UK and see what they have - seems to be a few on Autotrader. Generally will they do a bit of a deal if the car is coming to Ireland? IE. It's an easy sale.

You will be doing well to get much off them, I got £100. and a full tank of petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

The new 330e is now on the bmw.ie configurator. Would I be right in saying that the price listed does not include the grants available, i.e. €5000 SEAI Grant and €2,500 VRT Relief (if extended) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭carsfan2

The new 330e is now on the bmw.ie configurator. Would I be right in saying that the price listed does not include the grants available, i.e. €5000 SEAI Grant and €2,500 VRT Relief (if extended) ?

You are right but I wouldn’t bank on those grants being there after next months budget.
    There’s a shake up coming to the grants coming apparently as well as vrt changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

just specced a nice one at 56.5k so on the current schemes that would be a 49k car correct?

nice motor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭nc6000

Here's a good review The Irish Times did on the 330e which includes the details on the grants, the model they tested worked out at €43,070.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/bmw-s-new-plugin-330e-adds-up-rather-nicely-1.3980622

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

For what it’s worth, I sourced my current 330e msport from the uk last year at 10 months old for a grand total of €31k including vrt. Might be worth waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I have a 330e for over 3 years and think it's a fantastic car. I was going to look at the new model but the Tesla m3 is grabbing my eye.
    But and it's a huge but... The 330e msport is 20k less and I am far from convinced about the quality of the m3.
    I'd probably think a 330e or 530e but the depreciation is a killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Elessar wrote: »
    For what it’s worth, I sourced my current 330e msport from the uk last year at 10 months old for a grand total of €31k including vrt. Might be worth waiting.

problem is post Brexit, UK imports might not be so attractive if there are tariffs on used cars so may not be same value going forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement