Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 330e

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

mickdw wrote: »
    nightmare stuff if one had such a car outside warranty.
    I guess the moral of the story is not to have one without bmw warranty.

I’ve always had older bmws e30, e36, e46. Bombproof. Utterly bombproof. These new ones are a nightmare. Unless you’ve the right training and the diagnostic setup with the new ones you’re at nothing. Ill be dumping before the warranty expires.

It may seem like I’m moaning a lot but the truth is I love the car. Flawed as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

How is Uk depreciation on 530e or is it too early to tell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Cloudio9 wrote: »

High....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Cloudio9 wrote: »

They start at £44000 over there and there are 2017 cars for sale at 28k.

So ouch.

330e start at £33000 and 2 years later are going for half that and 530e look to be on the same track.

In fairness it's not just the PHEVs doing this you could pick up a 3 series diesel 2016 for less than a 330e and they have more or less same list price new, it's just depreciation in general these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

They start at £44000 over there and there are 2017 cars for sale at 28k.

So ouch.

330e start at £33000 and 2 years later are going for half that and 530e look to be on the same track.

In fairness it's not just the PHEVs doing this you could pick up a 3 series diesel 2016 for less than a 330e and they have more or less same list price new, it's just depreciation in general these days.

Wow. I’m currently driving a 520d so might go down the imported 530e route in next year or two....Brexit permitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe1013

It’s been back to the stealership twice in two months and going back again next week. Engine light constantly on, issues with air conditioning, other random issues. There’s also a recall on the battery issue at the moment.

Recall on the battery issue? Hadn't heard anything but my machine is refusing to accept a plug in charge. Actually blew the breaker in my house. Going to dealer next week. Is it linked I wonder?

And it took me more than two weeks to get it looked at in any dealer. Not happy with that. Just as well it's a hybrid and batt not essential!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Batfink69

Moe1013 wrote: »
    Recall on the battery issue? Hadn't heard anything but my machine is refusing to accept a plug in charge. Actually blew the breaker in my house. Going to dealer next week. Is it linked I wonder?

And it took me more than two weeks to get it looked at in any dealer. Not happy with that. Just as well it's a hybrid and batt not essential!
    Hi Moe, same as you. Car refusing to charge, says Low Voltage. I refused to drive the car on safety grounds and BMW picked it up on Tuesday night. It's in the Galway dealer since yesterday late p.m. so hope to hear something soon. They also said there was a Starter recall so also changing the starter motor which I didn't realise existed in these.

Just to add to the whole mpg thing. I work 17 miles from home, charge every night at low rate and charge at work during the day. Use the car 'normally' at weekends and I'm averaging 100mpg. I can manage to get to/from work with no ICE during the summer but struggle to get home when the weather's cold as I drive mostly uphill going home.

Hope you get sorted soon, try asking BMW to pay for all the extra petrol you're having to burn as you can't charge :)

Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

These are getting scary with all the faults that are turning up.

Mine is back with the main dealer again today. Some sort of “update” and my engine light is on again. Hopefully they sort it this time, third time back in three months.

Mine is back with the main dealer again today. Some sort of “update” and my engine light is on again. Hopefully they sort it this time, third time back in three months.

Can you say which dealer?

Is there a good '330e' dealer out there?

Bren

• Advertisement

Hmmm interesting. Dealer couldn’t source the fault so he’s on to the UK. If it’s happening to multiple cars it might just be a software thing. I’m not too worried, the battery charges normally on save and regenerated braking. So I don’t think there is a safety aspect. I took mine back off the dealer meantime.

They did do the starter motor recall.. is it just me or does the new one sound gruffer as it kicks in from electric? Used to be super smooth. Maybe I’m getting paranoid!

Batfink69 wrote: »
    Can you say which dealer?

Is there a good '330e' dealer out there?

Bren

Conlans Limerick. They’ve been superb so far. It’s the car that’s the problem.

Hmmm interesting. Dealer couldn’t source the fault so he’s on to the UK. If it’s happening to multiple cars it might just be a software thing. I’m not too worried, the battery charges normally on save and regenerated braking. So I don’t think there is a safety aspect. I took mine back off the dealer meantime.

They did do the starter motor recall.. is it just me or does the new one sound gruffer as it kicks in from electric? Used to be super smooth. Maybe I’m getting paranoid!

Dealer rang a few minutes ago to say the control board had gone, new one in a few days and that it is covered by warrantee (of course). Until then BMW are paying for a hire car for me.

Bren

Batfink69 wrote: »
    Dealer rang a few minutes ago to say the control board had gone, new one in a few days and that it is covered by warrantee (of course). Until then BMW are paying for a hire car for me.

Bren

I keep getting loaners from BMW and they’re getting progressively worse. First time I dropped it in I got a 181 X5, second time a 2011 520d and today I got a 2009 ratbox 320d SE spec.

They can sense I won’t be buying another bmw!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Briefly thought of one of these last night.

Looking at the issues a brief thought is all it will remain.

Shame really - could have had the makings of a nice car if the reliability was right.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Briefly thought of one of these last night.

Looking at the issues a brief thought is all it will remain.

Shame really - could have had the makings of a nice car if the reliability was right.

It's no better or worse than any other BMW out there really. Overall its a great car, the single thing that would put me off is the 30k range, if it was 100-120 the car would be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Conlans Limerick. They’ve been superb so far. It’s the car that’s the problem.

I must agree, even though I don't own a 330e. Conlans in Limerick have been fantastic during the 2 years I've owned a BMW. Top class dealers.

It’s been back to the stealership twice in two months and going back again next week. Engine light constantly on, issues with air conditioning, other random issues. There’s also a recall on the battery issue at the moment.
    It's no better or worse than any other BMW out there really. Overall its a great car, the single thing that would put me off is the 30k range, if it was 100-120 the car would be perfect.

It seems to require above average dealer visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

It's no better or worse than any other BMW out there really.

Sorry but I don't agree with that statement. Have had 3 BMW diesels over the last 7 yrs and no issues with any of them. The 330e and 530e are a car I would never dream of buying and I encourage others to avoid them also as they are absolutely pointless. 30km range is laughable. Extra weight, smaller boot and the ongoing issues many seem to have with them is proof enough that BMW just rushed these out in order to be seen to be moving with the times.

Wailin wrote: »
    It's no better or worse than any other BMW out there really.

Sorry but I don't agree with that statement. Have had 3 BMW diesels over the last 7 yrs and no issues with any of them. The 330e and 530e are a car I would never dream of buying and I encourage others to avoid them also as they are absolutely pointless. 30km range is laughable. Extra weight, smaller boot and the ongoing issues many seem to have with them is proof enough that BMW just rushed these out in order to be seen to be moving with the times.

We’be been here before... it’s not the car for everyone. But if you do most of your driving in an urban environment and fancy having 252 bhp on tap for a bit of fun why on earth would you choose a diesel? Same price for what? Noise and smoke..

Not to mention reduced tolls, great parking spots and free fuel when you are out and about.

I’ll never buy another diesel. (Unless I move down the country!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be honest, the power, EV range etc is perfect for my useage and I was strongly considering one (kinda moved towards a 530e now) however complex issues popping up frequently make it way too scary for me as id be planning to drive it for a few years.

I don't see what is so laughable about the ev range. I do typically 4 x 6 mile journeys daily, with a stop in the local town around lunch time most days. With a free partial charge at the very handily placed and never used street charger, I could be doing a lot of that running around on EV.

I sometimes then do a 120 mile journey, maybe once per week that again has a street charger available at destination. I figure home charging and blast of the street charger could have me doing that run at something similar to diesel mpg.

Its a no brainer for me if the reliability was right.

I wonder are Mercedes having similar issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

There's not enough of a sample here to say if they are better or worse than diesel powered similar cars as regards reliability. And I think people belittling the abilities of them have them wrong.

They are not an electric car or claim to be.
    They are a hybrid. Around town they'll beat the 320d hands down. On a motorway run the 320d wins. Overall, it depends on your type of usage. Suits some, not others. Just admit it doesn't suit you and not say it's rubbish. Don't buy it if it doesn't suit you.
    I'd take it over a 320d anyway. I'd take a 320i over a 320d to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd take a 318d over a 318i any day.

A 330e was working out cheaper to lease than a 316d for the same spec, term & mileage. For anyone not doing big miles it was a no brainer between the 2.

Think a 318i Auto was coming in slightly cheaper than a 330e and I know which is the better option between those 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

We’be been here before... it’s not the car for everyone. But if you do most of your driving in an urban environment and fancy having 252 bhp on tap for a bit of fun why on earth would you choose a diesel? Same price for what? Noise and smoke..

Not to mention reduced tolls, great parking spots and free fuel when you are out and about.

I’ll never buy another diesel. (Unless I move down the country!)

We have also been here before.

Wailin drives a 313bhp car with a nice sounding (irrespective of it being diesel) straight six engine that still returns over 40mpg. As for half price tolls, meh unless you live on the likes of the M50, or fighting over the great parking spot where someone either left their EV plugged in and fecked off for hours on end or the charger is actually broke/out of service. And cheap fuel, enjoy that as they will be reeling that carrot in sooner rather than later.

EVs, BEVs, PHEVs or whatever cool sounding acronyms they have for them now also are not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I drive a diesel 3 series as my commute dictates that. If I worked where my wife works I’d have the 330e no question as it’s less than 10km away. As smooth as a 6pot diesel can be, it’s still diesel and takes a while to warm up. For short commute the engine would be driven always cold and never at operating temps. Having the option of electric only for short commute but no range anxiety as it’s a PHEV works perfect for some. It does have a market even with its relatively small electric only range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Noise and smoke..

Oh come on! What noise? What smoke? Diesels nowadays are not like the tractors in the 90's and early 2000's.

Real world economy of the 330e/530e is mid 40's at best. Yes, for urban only driving they come into their own but with the issues they have I'd much rather a Toyota C-HR or Lexus hybrid that have proven hybrid technology.

The majority of 330e buyers would be better off with a 330i. Same power and economy (when your 30km battery is used) but more reliable.

Noise and smoke..

Oh come on! What noise? What smoke? Diesels nowadays are not like the tractors in the 90's and early 2000's.

Real world economy of the 330e/530e is mid 40's at best. Yes, for urban only driving they come into their own but with the issues they have I'd much rather a Toyota C-HR or Lexus hybrid that have proven hybrid technology.

The majority of 330e buyers would be better off with a 330i. Same power and economy (when your 30km battery is used) but more reliable.
    Noise and smoke..

Smoke has to be captured by the dpf.. ok if it works. But I had awful problems with 2 different cars and dpf's. Put a 6-7 year old petrol/diesel beside each other and tell me which engine looks and sounds better..

My 330e app says in the 18k kms I've done 7k has been on elec and it's saved 550 litres.. even if you halve that figure for bull**** purposes it runs to hundreds a year. And I've noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Honest John thinks different
    And considering that the 330e is very much a company car in the UK so likely to do doing very high mileage which isn't suitable to a low range PHEV.
    Personally, I have 65mpg over the last 2500km. 70km round trip commute on mainly N roads.

Reliability - over 40k on the clock and no issues with the car.

[QUOTE=Honest John thinks different[/QUOTE]

Compares very well against the 320i

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I drive a diesel 3 series as my commute dictates that. If I worked where my wife works I’d have the 330e no question as it’s less than 10km away. As smooth as a 6pot diesel can be, it’s still diesel and takes a while to warm up. For short commute the engine would be driven always cold and never at operating temps. Having the option of electric only for short commute but no range anxiety as it’s a PHEV works perfect for some. It does have a market even with its relatively small electric only range.

What is your commute out of interest?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement