Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*********Motors Chat - Round 10 *********

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Anyone hear about that protest happening on July the 2nd. Gathering people from around the country to drive to the dail. It's about the motor insurance hike..

job seeker wrote: »
    Anyone hear about that protest happening on July the 2nd. Gathering people from around the country to drive to the dail. It's about the motor insurance hike..

http://www.ireland-underground.com/2016/05/national-demonstration-agains-rising.html?m=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

GvidoR wrote: »
    Get a price for the job and then decide if you want to go ahead or not. It is a nice car though.

I'm gonna do that yeah, see what quote I get. I am loving it, got new alloys for it recently so it looks well. Not as powerful for a 2.5 as I thought it would be but still decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Sure it's grand for the insurance companies if the protest happens at the Dail. Nothing to worry about for them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Will the Dail be all off on their holliers for a few months at that stage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Have been told that my v6 needs replacing of both front and rear crank seals. The front one on them apparently isn't too bad since its chain driven but the rear is a box out job and on a mondeo we all know what's involved there. I planned on keeping it but not so sure now.

What to do...what to do....

It's not going to be cheap anyway. I'm not really familiar with chains but I'm sure the garage will need to replace the chain or can it be reused? If you are going to take the gearbox off you may as well also replace the clutch which is more added cost for the part but it won't cost you on labour since they have to take the clutch out anyway.

I would weigh up the costs of doing the repair and the cost of buying a new car and see which would work out cheaper. Keep in mind that another car may also have issues that need to be fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

shietpilot wrote: »
    It's not going to be cheap anyway. I'm not really familiar with chains but I'm sure the garage will need to replace the chain or can it be reused? If you are going to take the gearbox off you may as well also replace the clutch which is more added cost for the part but it won't cost you on labour since they have to take the clutch out anyway.

I would weigh up the costs of doing the repair and the cost of buying a new car and see which would work out cheaper. Keep in mind that another car may also have issues that need to be fixed!

Changing front crank seal should not disturb the chain sprocket. if the chain is ok, they wont touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It's about time though that this insurance **** has finally started becoming an issue to the Government. Whether they will give two fcuks about it is another thing.

shietpilot wrote: »
    It's not going to be cheap anyway. I'm not really familiar with chains but I'm sure the garage will need to replace the chain or can it be reused?

The chain doesn't have to be touched, thats the advantage here since its located behind the seal. If it was belt driven then it probably be a bigger job.

OSI wrote: »
    I take it they've never actually driven by the Dail before or seen the construction works for the LUAS?

I don't think that was considered.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,770 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Looks like not all Chinese cars are cheap risky knock-offs: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/cctv-captures-traffic-collision-in-china-1.2636346
    The three occupants of the car survived the accident.

Still though... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Chinese LDV vans for sale in limerick now. Can't see the you know whos giving up the transits and range rovers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Looks like not all Chinese cars are cheap risky knock-offs: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/cctv-captures-traffic-collision-in-china-1.2636346

Still though... :eek:

They should have done the lotto. That was just pure luck, no car is going to be particularly safe in a situation like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just seen an ad for retrostock.

Retro%20Stock%201%202016_zpsxbbiubql.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

That Sierra has a turbocharged Saab engine. Would love to see it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Chinese LDV vans for sale in limerick now. Can't see the you know whos giving up the transits and range rovers though.

An an post LDV was pulling away from the light today I was walking towards it. The Diesel engine sounds properly rough and loud very agricultural like something they got out of a 90s transit. If you put it beside a brand new transporter, trafic, transit they would all be far quieter and have a bit of a better engine note.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

CIP4 wrote: »
    ....and have a bit of a better engine note.

Yep, the number one thing fleet managers look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there's an an post maxus or v80 whatever ldv thing locally. dient sound any different to any 4 cylinder van Imo

I definitely thought this one was loud and rough sounding comparing it too a trafic or transporter. Infairness though it's probably not much worse than even the previous model transit 2006 onwards model as that sounded abit rough. As said though big companies don't care.

Also today within 5 minutes of each other I was passed by one 407 with one of the worst injector leak ticking sounds I ever heard. And then there was one sitting at the lights making a terrible noise and even when it went to move of it nearly stalled I think it was a very bad dmf making the noise. Both were so bad there's no way the owners didn't notice. It's mad what some consider as being fine to drive on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I thought it was at the crank but I could be wrong. I threw in a bottle of RedEx into the classic and it seemed happier due to it. Going to do the same with the daily this weekend.
    I actually got a bottle the other day after watching the video. My car is running a bit rough as of late as I don't really drive it much. I'm gonna throw in the redex tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Thanks to MetzgerMeister for this lot for Chape :)

IMG_20160505_191541_zpsdr5gja3h.jpg

And my Ceramic coating arrived today too :D

IMG_20160505_191837_zpsyqvdfyt0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Seriously need to get a DA. Anyone get one of those Argos ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

OSI wrote: »
    I take it they've never actually driven by the Dail before or seen the construction works for the LUAS?

What ape decided that July the 2nd was a good date for the protest?

What you want is a Friday. Arrive around two and block the streets up. Makes rush hour a lot more painful and as a direct result you get more publicity. The luas works actually help aid this.
    The farmers are excellent at it when they arrive into the city centre with their tractors. Likewise the taxi men. Dublin comes to a complete halt.

Having it on a Saturday means a few people get inconvenienced when trying to do some shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

colm_mcm wrote:
    Seriously need to get a DA. Anyone get one of those Argos ones?

Yep. Didnt use it yet though. Seems grand for 80 though.

Last exam of my four years in college it's been a challenging few months but coming to an end soon although I still have a few weeks of assignments left having the exams done will be a big help.

Looking forward to having a bit of time off for a few weeks. I want to give the Megane a good going over. The engine bay could do with some cleaning as from the leaks it was only kind of clean by the garage alternator casing needs to be cleaned recon I'll have to remove the wheel arch liner to get at that and even then it will be tight it's welded down in the bottom of the engine. I think I'll get the gearbox oil changed to while I'm off as its slightly notchy not overly bad though. I need to get a touch up pen for a few of the marks also. I want to have it in good shape before I start work.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,256 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

CIP4 wrote: »
    Last exam of my four years in college it's been a challenging few months but coming to an end soon although I still have a few weeks of assignments left having the exams done will be a big help.

Looking forward to having a bit of time off for a few weeks. I want to give the Megane a good going over. The engine bay could do with some cleaning as from the leaks it was only kind of clean by the garage alternator casing needs to be cleaned recon I'll have to remove the wheel arch liner to get at that and even then it will be tight it's welded down in the bottom of the engine. I think I'll get the gearbox oil changed to while I'm off as its slightly notchy not overly bad though. I need to get a touch up pen for a few of the marks also. I want to have it in good shape before I start work.

And then you'll change it for another Megane :D #megane #renaultlove

Autosport wrote: »
    And then you'll change it for another Megane :D #megane #renaultlove

No I'll be keeping it for a while however aside from the Megane there may be something else on the cards we will see though my lips are sealed on that as nothing is certain. I like the look of the new Megane coming but I don't want a brand new car tbh as I'd be too paranoid about it. Plus I prefer something a few years old I can mess around with and fix small stuff that goes wrong with it.

Insurance is out next Thursday. I'm afraid to pick up the phone.....

Would you have not already got your renewal sent out ? If so, bad ?

• Advertisement

Would you have not already got your renewal sent out ? If so, bad ?

No, broker is always slow at it. Must ring him tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement