Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*********Motors Chat - Round 10 *********

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Just back from Belfast. I went to look at the Gumball grid this morning in Merrion Square and set off towards the 3Arena before the flag was waved. I stopped at one of the roads near the 3Arena and there were a few cars waiting for the grid to approach.

As I was waiting, a Garda car drove by, I looked at them, they looked at me and some seconds later they did a U-turn and came back to me. Checked the licence and asked what I was doing :D I seem to be really unlucky with them, they didn't question the other cars.

The grid approached so I set off through the tunnel and all the way to belfast. The sounds of the cars in the tunnel were amazing! Nice drive overall and we got some good photos :)

Traffic in Belfast was crazy at the Titanic Quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Probably asked before, but is there anywhere I can check a car is taxed online?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

job seeker wrote: »
    Probably asked before, but is there anywhere I can check a car is taxed online?

Enter the reg here :)

Enter the reg here :)

Perfect cheers, The ould buck is just looking at vans. He got a berlingo afew months back, so he is just looking at alternatives with 4wd. So like ISUZU Trooper commercials etc. But I'm advising not to as the berlingo is grand!

However, the berlingo is too good for the farm and my heart skips a beat when he takes my car for the farm jobs....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

job seeker wrote: »
    Perfect cheers, The ould buck is just looking at vans. He got a berlingo afew months back, so he is just looking at alternatives with 4wd. So like ISUZU Trooper commercials etc. But I'm advising not to as the berlingo is grand!

However, the berlingo is too good for the farm and my heart skips a beat when he takes my car for the farm jobs....

Some of the Renault kangoos 04-06 ish were 4wd and the suspension was a bit jacked up too for better clearance. Would be some job if you wanted a van and 4wd for the farm very few going around though rare enough.

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »
    Some of the Renault kangoos 04-06 ish were 4wd and the suspension was a bit jacked up too for better clearance. Would be some job if you wanted a van and 4wd for the farm very few going around though rare enough.

Perfect Cip, I keep them in mind. Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Mr. Hackett your Passat is looking very well :)

Anyone ever in this situation? :pac::p

384842.jpg
    13102859_1173578586025504_1369825808412955406_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Mr. Hackett your Passat is looking very well :)

Why thank you very much.. As is your BMW :)

I gave it a very quick clean today as I done ~500 miles this weekend. My next time cleaning it will be after my exams (finished on the 14th of this month but I'll be travelling between Thurles and Waterford city nearly daily).

I found it very hard to wave or any sort of acknowledgement whist turning around the square or pulling into a parking spot on Parnell Street, I still noticed your car all the same so ignore my arrogance! If you dont mind me asking, where did you get your pressed plates from (As in were they got local or online)? I think a set of them wouldnt go astray with the Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Why thank you very much.. As is your BMW :)

I gave it a very quick clean today as I done ~500 miles this weekend. My next time cleaning it will be after my exams (finished on the 14th of this month but I'll be travelling between Thurles and Waterford city nearly daily).

I found it very hard to wave or any sort of acknowledgement whist turning around the square or pulling into a parking spot on Parnell Street, I still noticed your car all the same so ignore my arrogance! If you dont mind me asking, where did you get your pressed plates from (As in were they got local or online)? I think a set of them wouldnt go astray with the Passat.

No hassle :)

I got them online from Eireplates.com. Very high quality.

• Advertisement

Is standard Irish petrol in the likes of Maxol, topaz, apple green etc all 95 Ron can you get 97 or 99 anywhere out of curiosity as I know the likes of the U.K. You can get premium petrol that's 99 but can you get it in Ireland I've never seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,572 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] can you get it in Ireland I've never seen it.
    Me neither. And it's not really a surprise. I'd bet there's less than 0.1% of drivers here interested in that kind of fuel. For vast majority the lowest price is the only factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

isn't e5 a bit higher than 95 octane anyway?

joujoujou wrote: »
    Me neither. And it's not really a surprise. I'd bet there's less than 0.1% of drivers here interested in that kind of fuel. For vast majority the lowest price is the only factor.

No I've seen it on a few English forums like over there you can get shell v power petrol etc. While your right most don't care and quite frankly it won't make much difference to a 1.4 golf. However I've seen that some performance Petrols don't like running on 95 and it can give performance issues and not just jap cars either a whole range of them.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    isn't e5 a bit higher than 95 octane anyway?

Now that you mention it I think your right I've heard that somewhere and afaik all petrol in Ireland is E5 by law ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ethanol is higher octane so it'll bring 95 ron petrol to like 96 or something so it doesn't really matter

The only reason I'd like to see higher octane non-ethanol blends would be for motorbikes. An italian tune up would make more of a difference to most cars than super unleaded

If someone wanted higher octane it would be cheaper to go LPG and get 120 ron and just make detonation impossible

and it's funny that E5 is even sold in Ireland, it leads to higher co2 output.

Modern cars will change ignition timing depending on the fuel so it wouldn't bother me unless I had an engine which was detonating on 95 ron

ethanol is higher octane so it'll bring 95 ron petrol to like 96 or something so it doesn't really matter

The only reason I'd like to see higher octane non-ethanol blends would be for motorbikes. An italian tune up would make more of a difference to most cars than super unleaded

If someone wanted higher octane it would be cheaper to go LPG and get 120 ron and just make detonation impossible

and it's funny that E5 is even sold in Ireland, it leads to higher co2 output.

Modern cars will change ignition timing depending on the fuel so it wouldn't bother me unless I had an engine which was detonating on 95 ron

I think the real reason behind the E5 is that ethanol is renewable so is seen as being a bit more environmentally friendly if your using 95% non renewable vs 100% granted still very small and ultimately petrol is inherently not environmentally friendly but that was the reasoning behind it.

Not so bad if it's 96 RON thanks for the info. I knew the newer stuff has knock sensors so the ecu can adjust to fuel quality. I suppose the market is so small for 99 ron stuff in Ireland they couldn't justify it whereas in the uk a lot of people into cars seem to buy the premium stuff even if it's a bit dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

How quickly does a modern car learn the fuel. Does the knock sensor always work so it's continuously adapting to try and get the maximum from the fuel? Or does it take a few tank fulls before it will relearn if it hasn't had a pre ignition in a while?

The reason I ask is my car is recommended to run in 98ron. It's only ever had 95 ron, but yesterday I filled it with super unleaded. Not sure if I can tell the difference. Today around the top end it did fell it had more pull at the very top but I rarely be up in that rev range anyway. Probably just a placebo

vintagevrs wrote: »
    How quickly does a modern car learn the fuel. Does the knock sensor always work so it's continuously adapting to try and get the maximum from the fuel? Or does it take a few tank fulls before it will relearn if it hasn't had a pre ignition in a while?

The reason I ask is my car is recommended to run in 98ron. It's only ever had 95 ron, but yesterday I filled it with super unleaded. Not sure if I can tell the difference. Today around the top end it did fell it had more pull at the very top but I rarely be up in that rev range anyway. Probably just a placebo

From what I've read it takes a few 100km before it adjusts to the fuel that it won't adjust instantly. Did you get the super unleaded in Southern Ireland or was it up the north ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,256 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Some lovely person/s decided to do this to my car this evening :(

From what I've read it takes a few 100km before it adjusts to the fuel that it won't adjust instantly. Did you get the super unleaded in Southern Ireland or was it up the north ?

In the North, not aware of anywhere down here to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Autosport wrote: »

Feel your pain sir
    Dirty scumbags I assume where did it happen any chance of CCTV footage catching them?

Some people are pricks. Same thing happened my mother recently. Looks yours might be ok with a polish, hard to tell. Here's what happened hers:

Before
    59x1jc.jpg

Ten mins later with a polisher
    iqljiv.jpg

Hope its not damaged the paint on you.

That's a crap ending to the bank holiday weekend do you recon it will polish out or is the paint actually gone ? I assume it happened when the car was parked up. I hate to say it but the way things are gone basically if you park in any public place its inevitable your car will be damaged. Mine has two dings and a few scratches from other cars all in the space of a year :( some people just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

What compound did you use with polisher to remove the damage vintage?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,256 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

No cctv and its a public car park and loads of signs up saying you park at your own risk. when I parked and I parked away from anyone when I got back to the car there wasn't any car beside me so I'm thinking maybe it was a nail? It's a little deep at the wheel end but it kinda trickles off but it's so low down like why would you be even bothered

crasy dash wrote: »
    What compound did you use with polisher to remove the damage vintage?

I got a DA polisher a while back and it came with Menzerna. It came with three polishes and three pads. Something like this:
    shinemate-ep801-menzerna-kit.jpg

I gave it a run with most abrasive one and then moved up to finish it with the finishing pad/polish. The cars paint work isn't great anyway so wasn't too fussed, just wanted to take the badness out of it. It's not perfect but she was delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

It adjusts instantaneously. However, you may be mixing some 98 with the remaining 95 in your tank, so it will take some distance ( or fills) to completely go from one to the other.

But the ecu reacts to the onset of knock immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

Some cars can be fairly sensitive for petrol.

I can tell the difference between a good fill and a **** fill fairly rapidly. Get two different fillups from the same station on different days and the Mzda will run markedly different on one for no real reason despite it supposedly being the same ****.

It's a difference between 10l/100km and 13l/100km on the motorway, and an engine that starts and runs normally, and one that's alway threatening to flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

had a friend stranded today after running out of diesel, what are you supposed to do when that happens other than call the AA?

I didn't touch it because I hadn't a clue but how do you bleed a diesel engine just in case I'm ever in a situation like it again. 1.6 litre PSA diesel in a mini..

he had someone show up who tried loosening fuel injectors and there was diesel spurting all over the place but they couldn't get it going and eventually gave up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

vintagevrs wrote: »

Would an octane booster from motor factors help?

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement