Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*********Motors Chat - Round 10 *********

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

CIP4 wrote: »
    The touch up pens are just bought of the shelf I don't think they mix them up. 16 quid sure if the Renault one is around that I'll go with that as it will surly be the best match.

I have used them in the past. The color match is hit and miss and the brush is dreadful.

If you can get a ready mixed can it's much better value at €10. If you google your paint code it will give you the name of the color and you can then check the halfords website to see if they stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

The touch up pens are just bought of the shelf I don't think they mix them up. 16 quid sure if the Renault one is around that I'll go with that as it will surly be the best match.

Never bought one of those, only ever the stuff they mix for you.

€16 isn't a massive investment! Get it but try it on an inconspicuous area first. Do that with any tough up you buy, I find one of the rear door hinges a good place to test it for a colour match.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Anyone watching this woman on the late late. Super super woman and such an upbeat personality!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Anyone watching this woman on the late late. Super super woman and such an upbeat personality!

Loving her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I have used them in the past. The color match is hit and miss and the brush is dreadful.

If you can get a ready mixed can it's much better value at €10. If you google your paint code it will give you the name of the color and you can then check the halfords website to see if they stock it.

The can is cheaper alright but a bit of a pain it's only stone chips and small marks where the paint is gone I'm touching up. I suppose I could get the can and spray it on a sponge or brush might make it more difficult though.
    Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Never bought one of those, only ever the stuff they mix for you.

€16 isn't a massive investment! Get it but try it on an inconspicuous area first. Do that with any tough up you buy, I find one of the rear door hinges a good place to test it for a colour match.:)

Ah I know yep it's small money and your always going to see the marks if you look hard enough it's just to take the edge of but if I can get the Renault one for similar money it might be the better bet as it should be the exact same paint as from the factory.

• Advertisement

The can is cheaper alright but a bit of a pain it's only stone chips and small marks where the paint is gone I'm touching up. I suppose I could get the can and spray it on a sponge or brush might make it more difficult though.

You can spray the paint into the cover and use a toothpick to fill the chips in with the paint.

You'll be using a toothpick or small brush anyway if you buy the touch up pen as the brush that comes with it is not good.

You can spray the paint into the cover and use a toothpick to fill the chips in with the paint.

You'll be using a toothpick or small brush anyway if you buy the touch up pen as the brush that comes with it is not good.

Sounds good I might try that so thanks :)

Sounds good I might try that so thanks :)

Well it's up to yourself really. You'll save money by getting the can and still have more paint. I know you can get the touch up pen with lacquer and primer but you won't need either for stone chips, I actually think you'll get a better color match by just using the top coat as the primer can end up mixing with the top coat when brushing it on which causes the top coat to become a much lighter shade.

Well it's up to yourself really. You'll save money by getting the can and still have more paint. I know you can get the touch up pen with lacquer and primer but you won't need either for stone chips, I actually think you'll get a better color match by just using the top coat as the primer can end up mixing with the top coat when brushing it on which causes the top coat to become a much lighter shade.

See the marks on the bumper anywhere where the paint is gone the black plastic shows which makes it stand out on a car which is silver. The biggest mark is about an inch long but very narrow 2-3mm the garage touch it up for me when I bought it but it is wearing away and the black is showing up overtime. Would a few light layers be the best option let it dry each time ? I think I'll try the can for the sake of a tenner and as you said you get a lot more paint just a matter of spray it it in a lid or whatever when needed.

See the marks on the bumper anywhere where the paint is gone the black plastic shows which makes it stand out on a car which is silver. The biggest mark is about an inch long but very narrow 2-3mm the garage touch it up for me when I bought it but it is wearing away and the black is showing up overtime. Would a few light layers be the best option let it dry each time ? I think I'll try the can for the sake of a tenner and as you said you get a lot more paint just a matter of spray it it in a lid or whatever when needed.

Ya that will be fine.

• Advertisement

Ya that will be fine.

Perfect thanks for your help I'll pick up a can during the week and when I get to do it I'll throw up a few pictures and we will see how it turns out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My 4th NCT with the e46 passed! Woo!

The tester was sound, always have respect for those guys. He did tell me that my passenger side seatbelt isn't retracting fast enough and that he gave me the benefit of the doubt this time. He said it would be a fail next year however. But either way, happy days, I was a nervous wreck this afternoon!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

My 4th NCT with the e46 passed! Woo!

The tester was sound, always have respect for those guys. He did tell me that my passenger side seatbelt isn't retracting fast enough and that he gave me the benefit of the doubt this time. He said it would be a fail next year however. But either way, happy days, I was a nervous wreck this afternoon!

Bet they enjoyed giving the throttle a little blip! They always did with mine :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

conzy wrote: »
    Bet they enjoyed giving the throttle a little blip! They always did with mine :)

Actually, o didn't notice that at all. All the emissions readings were perfect, so maybe there was just no need to rev it up! The handbrake is right on the line though, it's been like that for ages now, just at the pass point for strength.

Just read the previous mileage and current, I only covered 2500miles in the last year! Jaysis!

EDIT: I cycled 3825miles in the last year... hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Actually, o didn't notice that at all. All the emissions readings were perfect, so maybe there was just no need to rev it up! The handbrake is right on the line though, it's been like that for ages now, just at the pass point for strength.

Just read the previous mileage and current, I only covered 2500miles in the last year! Jaysis!

EDIT: I cycled 3825miles in the last year... hmmm

Ha ha I've done 2500km since i got the e39 :)

Most not calculate cost per mile, must not! :eek:

Most not calculate cost per mile, must not! :eek:

That'd be quite nasty for you :)

YbFocus wrote: »
    That'd be quite nasty for you :)

Ah sure feck it, life is too short to worry too much about things like that! I get plenty of smiles per miles out of the e46! Was thinking about doing something with the exhaust in the last week tbh... need more loud. It's either remove the second resonator, or get a new backbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lazy Saturday and browsing DD for a potential new motor. If only I had 12 and a half grand in my pocket..

NmQ3MWNkMDNjY2JmZTk4OGRkZTA5YjQxNjBhOGE3MDRjZ2E-L44_9M_6QDFrATjsaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181MzU5OTk5M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a8-3l-quattro-se/11809073

I love that interior colour combination too - although I'd be hesitant to pay that amount of cash on a private sale.

Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Lazy Saturday and browsing DD for a potential new motor. If only I had 12 and a half grand in my pocket..

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a8-3l-quattro-se/11809073

I love that interior colour combination too - although I'd be hesitant to pay that amount of cash on a private sale.

Oh well!

"New brake pads and discs fitted by Audi Sligo"

:pac: Good aul Audi still catching people for that craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I think I need to get a better dash cam. Spotted some nice cars yesterday but the quality is rubbish. :(

hPlgp5E.png

GvidoR wrote: »
    I think I need to get a better dash cam. Spotted some nice cars yesterday but the quality is rubbish. :(

hPlgp5E.png

Looks like grand turismo 2 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Looks like grand turismo 2 :pac:

Ah good memories right there! I used to love games like Gran Turismo, collecting all the cars :cool:

shietpilot wrote: »
    Ah good memories right there! I used to love games like Gran Turismo, collecting all the cars :cool:

That's the game that introduced me to so many cars, mostly all the Jap stuff.
    I loved Rx7's, S and R bodies, chasers etc from then on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

NickDunne wrote: »
    "New brake pads and discs fitted by Audi Sligo"

:pac: Good aul Audi still catching people for that craic

They wear out you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,442 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

YbFocus wrote: »
    That's the game that introduced me to so many cars, mostly all the Jap stuff.
    I loved Rx7's, S and R bodies, chasers etc from then on :)

not fogetting the oligatory Mazda Demio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Anyone down Enniscrone area looking at the plane on a barge. Was thinking about going for a spin down, but cant be bothered.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    not fogetting the oligatory Mazda Demio

Oh the first few hours spent dying of boredom in Demio's, beats and cappuccinos in the fun cup and sunday cup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anyone down Enniscrone area looking at the plane on a barge. Was thinking about going for a spin down, but cant be bothered.

Watching it on smashteck.tv live. Stuck on the beach atm and nothing happening. High tide due in 20 mins. Have diggers lined up to drag it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I knew a fella who never could get his license in Gt. He had bought one of the Le Mans cars from doing the Sunday cup about a million times

That a international license was a challenge

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement