Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

They are badly stuck lads.

219 tickets on sale soon and no title fights on the card. Still a stacked card though but them need them title fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Looks life a definite that it's happening now. Tyron's comments from an interview on Saturday.
    "Don't be surprised if you see me in the next couple days announce a fight," Woodley told FloCombat. "It's a sport about risk and reward. It's a sport about becoming a legend. You look at guys that have stepped up on last minute and it changed their lives. I don't think that I should be any different.
    "There's a lot of guys in my weight class that are talking, they're chirping, everybody wants the title, everybody wants to fight me, everybody thinks they can beat me. People are talking because they think I can't fight. They think I'm injured to the point where I can't compete and I'm not going back and forth with them so that gives them more wings to keep flying.
    "At the end of the day, none of the people in my division right now are the fight that are going to get me to legendary status," he added. "Get me to the point where I'm a household name. I'm looking for that and I might have found that fight."

Nate is in camp according to his coach so he is the "legendary" name Woodley is talking about. I love Nate Diaz and of course he is very popular but legendary? :rolleyes:

Can you imagine if Diaz won.

Mcgregor vs diaz.... champion against champion....the dana would cream himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Even in the era of WME's money fights, that is the most bizarre fight.

Woodley will absolutely rag doll him. Nate is an overblown LW, not a WW and a guy who has gained status from his McGregor fights. 19-11 is not a record of an elite fighter. He's a tough guy who can take a stupid amount of punishment, can't finish his opponents (4 K.O) and generally doesn't give a ****. He played his part in the McGregor fights so he deserves to milk this and get a **** load money from the UFC who are absolutely desperate for a name to headline 219.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,624 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

rob316 wrote: »
    Even in the era of WME's money fights, that is the most bizarre fight.

Woodley will absolutely rag doll him. Nate is an overblown LW, not a WW and a guy who has gained status from his McGregor fights. 19-11 is not a record of an elite fighter. He's a tough guy who can take a stupid amount of punishment, can't finish his opponents (4 K.O) and generally doesn't give a ****. He played his part in the McGregor fights so he deserves to milk this and get a **** load money from the UFC who are absolutely desperate for a name to headline 219.

Indeed. A journeyman lightweight at that. But a name. And its not like Nate can even talk or anything. Hes a simpleton. But thats the way UFC is going. Really shows McGregors star quality when he can make guys famous like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The Nal wrote: »
    Indeed. A journeyman lightweight at that. But a name. And its not like Nate can even talk or anything. Hes a simpleton. But thats the way UFC is going. Really shows McGregors star quality when he can make guys famous like that.
    I think you'll find Nate is far from a simpleton.
    He strikes me as an introvert more than anything, he's actually fairly smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I just see woodley wrestle ****ing nate. Bizzare match up

Look, lads.....lets just believe in nate here. I for one would love to see nate with a belt just for the hilarity of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It’d be a million times better than Woodley v Wonderboy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

It’d be a million times better than Woodley v Wonderboy!

Woodley v wonderboy 2. I did enjoy their first encounter

• Registered Users Posts: 29,609 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Bizarre matchup but would be hillarious if Nate won. I would be quite surprised mother****ers if he did though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

ricero wrote: »
    Woodley v wonderboy 2. I did enjoy their first encounter

Yeah that was better, but I would still see Nate in there being....Nate:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

are you sure it's not gsp? how would nate give him legendary status?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Umm... am I the only one that sees Nate potentially taking this? Yeah, wrestlers are his weakness but Woodley doesn't use takedowns as much as his wrestling credentials suggest. I see Nate jabbing him to pieces and Woodley unable to do much.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Umm... am I the only one that sees Nate potentially taking this? Yeah, wrestlers are his weakness but Woodley doesn't use takedowns as much as his wrestling credentials suggest. I see Nate jabbing him to pieces and Woodley unable to do much.

Woodley lately is just backing up too much and playing that defensive game. Diaz is always coming forward. It could go either way really, Woodly looking for a big shot, Diaz trying for a good flurry.
    If it went to the mat, I think that Diaz' Jujitsu would get the better of Woodleys wrastling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Maybe you're forgetting how much of a beast Woodley is. He would definitely use take-downs on Nate, and possibly whip out his vicious leg kicks too. Against WB and Maia, Woodley was tentative because of the fear of knockouts/takedowns, neither of which are an issue here so pretty much Woodley will be able to impose his will whatever way he wants. Nate has a high chance of getting KTFO in the first couple of rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Woodley never really tries to impose his own style, he always just counters his opponents weaknesses. He'd spam takedowns all night vs Nate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

With regards to Nate Diaz, I don't think there's a worse style match up in the LW/WW divisions for him than Woodley. People aren't particularly fond of Woodley (me included) but he's got the perfect skillset to beat Diaz.

We all know the Diaz bro's are more fuelled by money than anything else so fair play to Nate for going out and getting himself another huge payday. You can be sure he is being compensated massively for this, especially with how desperate UFC were for a NYE main event.

Mad to think only 2 years ago he was coming off a loss to RDA where he got whooped, and was underdog to beat Michael Johnson. Now he's probably one of the top paid fighters in the sport and an enormous star despite only fighting twice since, and losing one of them. MMA is a crazy ol game!

Nates also very good off his back so he won't mind being taken down as he'll have the tools to deal with it.

I still think Woodley wet blankets him for a decision, but Nate does have some sort of chance here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Sonnen vs Silva 1 comes to mind.
    24 mins of Nate getting whooped and pull out a triangle late in RD 5 :)

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Nates also very good off his back so he won't mind being taken down as he'll have the tools to deal with it.

I still think Woodley wet blankets him for a decision, but Nate does have some sort of chance here.
    He's OK off his back, let's be honest. With how good everyone is at BJJ these days it's rare to see someone catch a sub off their back in a high level fight. Woodley is not getting caught in a triangle or an armbar imo. Ben Henderson and RDA both destroyed Diaz from top position and they're both lightweights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think being good off your back gets pretty negated by having a 200 lb+ wrestler with a serious top game on top of you...

I could see Woodley knocking him out with some bombs, even while in Nate's guard

I'm not saying he'll have a handy time of it, far from it.
    However, he won't be completely useless.

As an aside, what's Woodleys cardio like?

I'm not saying he'll have a handy time of it, far from it.
    However, he won't be completely useless.

As an aside, what's Woodleys cardio like?
    He was grand after his last two 5 round fights he had so based on them he has great cardio :p

cliggg wrote: »
    He was grand after his last two 5 round fights he had so based on them he has great cardio :p
    Conor would have been fresh after those, never mind Woodley :P

It'll be interesting to see if Nate tries to put a pace on him, and if he does manage it, can Woodley keep up or negate it.

Conor would have been fresh after those, never mind Woodley :P

It'll be interesting to see if Nate tries to put a pace on him, and if he does manage it, can Woodley keep up or negate it.
    In seriousness whenever I have seen Woodley get pushed and he does fade in the 3rd noticeably. Althouh he disagrees because in his words
    "People Think I Gas Quickly Because I'm a Black Dude"

Actual Tyron Woodley quote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I'm a big Nate fan but this matchup is terrible for him. Woodley will just grind him against the cage for the night and take him down at will.

Only hope is Nate's output somehow makes Woodley gas hard in the earlier rounds and Nate is able to do the classic Diaz keep moving forward until the other guy breaks thing.

I thin it's an easy win for Woodley and I actually think the UFC and Woodley are cowards for setting up this fight. Nate has a win-win proposition, he gets paid, likely whatever the hell he wants, he fights a guy he's not supposed to fight outside his weightclass. If he loses, so what, he's not a WW, woodley is a bigger, stronger man. If he wins, he's a champion and they set up the McGregor fight at 170.

I think the UFC needs to make Conor actually defend the 155 title before the could even entertain the idea of Conor fighting whoever wins between Woodley and whoever he fights next.

UFC might just be using Woodley as bait to get Conor to sign to fight in December. Woodley is still injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think being good off your back gets pretty negated by having a 200 lb+ wrestler with a serious top game on top of you...

I could see Woodley knocking him out with some bombs, even while in Nate's guard

Woodley is going to take the path of least resistance which is, quite obviously, destroying Nate's lead leg.

You'd have to say Woodley is right up there with the likes of Aldo for having the best leg kicks in all of MMA. He butchered Jake Shields lead leg with leg-kicks, took him clean off his feet at least twice, and obviously wrecked Condit's leg.

Ok, neither of those are southpaws so then we look at what he did to Kelvin Gastelum's lead leg and the answer is the same thing - absolutely butchered it with that inside leg kick he landed in the 2nd round which had Kelvin hobbling around!

The plan will surely be to wreck Nate's leg and KO him. Woodley is no dummy. If he gets a high profile fight against Nate Diaz he isn't going to ruin his big chance of getting the McGregor fight by humping Nate for 25 minutes. He will destroy his leg and land a bomb on his chin.

Woodley's last 6 fights have all been against southpaws, which is a pretty strange statistic. He's undefeated during that stretch.

• Advertisement

Apparently Emil Meek is having visa issues and the Kamaru Usman fight is in doubt...would love to see Darren Till step in. Should be beat Usman (big if) I could see him fighting for the title after that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement