Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

ongarboy wrote: »
    Agreed. Kingdom Food Hall do great food and the staff are very friendly but the parking situation is awful. They must lose a lot of casual or impulse trade from people who are put off from attempting to park there in the tight spaces or who are, rightly so, too conscientious to illegally park on the road. It's in an unfortunate location for pedestrians to walk to unless you happen to be in that area and tourists would never be venturing by there. They should consider relocating to one of the many vacant buildings in town centre (old Val osheas, Quinlans, Old Oak or a few others spring to mind where they could offer seating as well. Actually the nearby and closed Stokers Lodge with sufficient parking would be ideal also.

Then again, maybe their business is doing just fine and they are happy out!

There's a big and generally empty carpark out the back of Clounalour medical centre. That's where I usually park for kingdom foods.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Yerra, we can go comment on Facebook pages over there....that's where the muck raking should be kept

Serious question... With the new government being formed inside the next 48 hours...do we think Norma Foley will get a ministry?
    She's done well on the oversight committee.... she's vocal and seems to be well thought of by those in charge...I think it could be something that Tralee, and Kerry needs in order to survive... would something like tourism be too much of a reach I wonder?

Hopefully for the county/town, she will! Just have to wait and see this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

You mean what should be called the Hate Tralee’ page, as it only promotes antagonism towards the council, is full of biased political propaganda, pretty much every post on it is stolen from somewhere else, and if you post anything against the grain you will get banned. Pure muck.
    Ken Tobin’s post about it earlier in the week voiced the opinions of many.
    What the town needs, especially in these trying days is as much positivity as possible not photos online of overflowing bins and bashing the council for it.

Not a fan of that page, I know who's behind it and the idea of it is nice but it shouldn't be used as an anonymous soapbox to take potshots at people in Tralee.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yerra, we can go comment on Facebook pages over there....that's where the muck raking should be kept

Serious question... With the new government being formed inside the next 48 hours...do we think Norma Foley will get a ministry?
    She's done well on the oversight committee.... she's vocal and seems to be well thought of by those in charge...I think it could be something that Tralee, and Kerry needs in order to survive... would something like tourism be too much of a reach I wonder?
    Yeah, not a hope of a senior ministry, there are two many in FF with a stronger claim to one of their six seats at cabinet.

Definitely a candidate for a junior post though. Otherwise, she should get a committee chairship.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I had almost forgotten we had a general election less than 6 months ago. Coronavirus really distracted us from it! Next week will be interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Quackster wrote: »
    She would want to tell her customers not to be dangerously parking on the road outside though.

I rang up about this a few years back and was fucked out of it on the phone with the male owner of this place. Was told it is not his problem.

Council would not/won't put bollards down. The traffic warden now patrols the area, but never around the lunch time period.

Numerous times stuck with buggy here. No consideration for disabled/wheelchair users either.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Adiboo wrote: »
    I rang up about this a few years back and was fucked out of it on the phone with the male owner of this place. Was told it is not his problem.

Council would not/won't put bollards down. The traffic warden now patrols the area, but never around the lunch time period.

Numerous times stuck with buggy here. No consideration for disabled/wheelchair users either.

I suppose it’s all down to a little common sense.

Yes it’s not ideal there for parking but the business does well and also employs a good few people locally.

Placing bollards along there would be unpopular as it would have a detrimental effect on the business.

Nancy Myles back in the day had a similar situation and when bollards were placed along the footpath of the army barracks it decimated their lunch time trade and prob had a lot to do with them eventually closing.

We should be doing more to protect these business rather than just saying throw up bollards and let them suffer the consequences.

I don’t have a solution to the problem but bollards or other parking deterrents will yes solve the parking problem but would create a whole other problem for that business.

There are other examples of the same thing happening around town on a daily basis.

On castle street for a quick pop into the permanent tsb or hillsers.

Boherbee is a culprit also outside the castle off-licence there’s regularly a car collecting or a van delivering.

Putting up bollards is simply to target the clowns who think that their lunch is more important than other people's safety. If that has the effect of decimating a business, then that simply means the business was not in the right place in the first instance.

If a business is reliant on public endangerment to keep afloat, that's not a good place to be.

FYI, Castle street is still closed off for road works this morning.

Putting up bollards is simply to target the clowns who think that their lunch is more important than other people's safety. If that has the effect of decimating a business, then that simply means the business was not in the right place in the first instance.

If a business is reliant on public endangerment to keep afloat, that's not a good place to be.

Absolutely but it’s a balancing act.

Public endangerment is a bit of an extreme description for a handful of cars double parking for 10 to 15 minutes during lunch hour.

Grand to be flippant and say place bollards up but the fact of the matter is it would have a huge effect on trade for that business.

Every town in Ireland has business that are in similar situations as Kingdom Food and Wine.

If you can tell me you’ve never ditched the car for a quick 10 mins on a double yellow line while you ran for a sandwich or quick errand or while you waited in the rain outside the school to collect a child or grandchild you my friend are a saint.

• Advertisement

It is public endangerment when they obstruct a narrow footpath, forcing wheelchairs, buggies etc out onto the road, creating a menace for visually-impaired people and making social distancing impossible in the current environment. If they just parked on the double-yellow lines without encroaching onto the footpath, then they would 'only' be a traffic obstruction.

Where there's regular encroachment onto narrow footpaths, bollards are most definitely justified.

It is public endangerment when they obstruct a narrow footpath, forcing wheelchairs, buggies etc out onto the road, creating a menace for visually-impaired people and making social distancing impossible in the current environment. If they just parked on the double-yellow lines without encroaching onto the footpath, then they would 'only' be a traffic obstruction.

Where there's regular encroachment onto narrow footpaths, bollards are most definitely justified.

I was told by a traffic warden that parking up on the path is an immediate fine! That is a health & safety risk. If you just park on the double yellows off the pathway, they will give you a few minutes grace, as long as you are not causing a big obstruction (if road wide enough to allow cars to get past). My biggest issue with people parking on a path is if they park really far up on it, to block like you say prams/wheelchairs. And people who drive up on a path at speed! I have almost been knocked over on more than one occasion, as well as my child from people doing this. Its wreckless and selfish behaviour.

Yep, recently paused briefly on the footpath outside Oaklands checking something on my phone when a dude mounted the path in his f**k-off SUV in my direction and looked at me as if to say to get out of his way.

Needless to say I stared him down! :D

I think your getting a bit carried away for the sake of a few cars making a quick stop.

As I say I agree it’s not an ideal situation but blowing it all out of proportion certainly doesn’t help the issue 🙄.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

The reality that people seem to miss is that..besides it being selfish and illegal ..the amount of cars, SUV's and trucks pulling up onto the footpaths had left them broken, sunken down and very dangerous in parts from Rajas to the AIB bank
    There are numerous compo cases in at the moment...and the costs of repairs to the paths will run into tens of thousands around town.
    The sooner a few on the spot €80 fines are handed out, the safer the FOOTPATHS will be for us pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Surprised when passing downtown that Easons weren't open yet - there was a member of staff in the back arranging items, but going by how bare the shopfront was, they didn't look like they would be ready today, anyway.

Surprised when passing downtown that Easons weren't open yet - there was a member of staff in the back arranging items, but going by how bare the shopfront was, they didn't look like they would be ready today, anyway.

That's odd, they were meant to be open yesterday according to a staff member who said it on facebook last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

So there’s been a guard up in McDonald’s the last hour of so trying to sort out the traffic. They should be made shut full stop. Absolute joke and what a waste of resources

adam88 wrote: »
    So there’s been a guard up in McDonald’s the last hour of so trying to sort out the traffic. They should be made shut full stop. Absolute joke and what a waste of resources

Why don’t they create a cone’d lane into mc Donald’s from the main road and allow moving traffic to filter round??? There room for two lanes there if cone’d correctly.

They only need one Mc Donald’s staff member then at the little island further back ensure that the q isn’t allowed to go beyond it so that cars can filter past.

Makes no sense placing Garda cones along the kerb but still allow people to q???

Again closing the business is a stupid suggestion people and business need to get make to normality.

I’ve read and heard so much whinging from tralee people about this issue yet Killarney also have a mc Donald’s and we hear nothing.

Clab mor wrote: »
    Why don’t they create a cone’d lane into mc Donald’s from the main road and allow moving traffic to filter round??? There room for two lanes there if cone’d correctly.

They only need one Mc Donald’s staff member then at the little island further back ensure that the q isn’t allowed to go beyond it so that cars can filter past.

Makes no sense placing Garda cones along the kerb but still allow people to q???

Again closing the business is a stupid suggestion people and business need to get make to normality.

I’ve read and heard so much whinging from tralee people about this issue yet Killarney also have a mc Donald’s and we hear nothing.

I think KIllarney has had a similar issue about the traffic into McD's. I read it somewhere a few days ago.

Is the traffic backing up in both directions (from town side etc)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's mad thinking that people are so desperate for a cold burger and chips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭cms88

Clab mor wrote: »

To be fair the guards are very busy hiding just after the roundabout trying to get someone of a bit over the speed limited to be worred about that now

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

cms88 wrote: »
    To be fair the guards are very busy hiding just after the roundabout trying to get someone of a bit over the speed limited to be worred about that now

Spotted them when I was in Noyeks last week .. Wonder would they catch much in the run up to the round about. I would imagine the road towards castleisland would have a better return

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

Spotted them when I was in Noyeks last week .. Wonder would they catch much in the run up to the round about. I would imagine the road towards castleisland would have a better return

I work in Killarney and they are hidden in a entrance to a field the Tralee side of Farrenfore at the flyover for the last few weeks. First time I noticed them they pulled out chasing a car who luckily for me was caught because if he wasn’t there I would of been caught.

4 times since Monday week they’ve been in there. I pass through there around 4:45pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭cms88

It's only 50km coming up to it so would be easy enough to get someone going just over it.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I take it Mary Anne's tearooms has been badly damaged in last night's fire, judging by the photos I've seen? The floor of the hostel directly above it seems to have been gutted.

I take it Mary Anne's tearooms has been badly damaged in last night's fire, judging by the photos I've seen? The floor of the hostel directly above it seems to have been gutted.

I can't tell from the photo's. The article seems to say the restaurant and cafe weren't affected. I don't think that Mary Anne's tearooms has been open for a long time though. It was closed before lockdown and I remember being told it had closed down.

A lot of residents and business owners in Denny St were not happy with the hostel as it was causing a lot of issues in the area.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I can't tell from the photo's. The article seems to say the restaurant and cafe weren't affected. I don't think that Mary Anne's tearooms has been open for a long time though. It was closed before lockdown and I remember being told it had closed down.

A lot of residents and business owners in Denny St were not happy with the hostel as it was causing a lot of issues in the area.
    Ah, right. The fire seems to have been significant enough which would suggest the floor underneath must have suffered water damage at the very least. Which would then call into question the safety of the electrics etc.

Who exactly has been using that hostel that it's been a source of trouble?

• Advertisement

Ah, right. The fire seems to have been significant enough which would suggest the floor underneath must have suffered water damage at the very least. Which would then call into question the safety of the electrics etc.

Who exactly has been using that hostel that it's been a source of trouble?

Its been used by the HSE.

Advertisement