Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Spotted them when I was in Noyeks last week .. Wonder would they catch much in the run up to the round about. I would imagine the road towards castleisland would have a better return

On the road to farranfore, there is a turn off to Ballyfinnane, where the road gets very wide (climbing lane towards Tralee) - the Garda was hiding behind a pole with the gun pointed up towards tralee, he was at the farranfore end. No sign of his car. I found that to be very sneaky

My daughter dances in the KDYS and there is no way we let her walk in and out of there on her own. The people from the hostel hanging around, the broken bottles of spirits around the place, empty cans, there was one case where the residents were throwing things out the window at people going into the KDYS - its an awful eyesore in Denny St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭cms88

bobdcow wrote: »
    On the road to farranfore, there is a turn off to Ballyfinnane, where the road gets very wide (climbing lane towards Tralee) - the Garda was hiding behind a pole with the gun pointed up towards tralee, he was at the farranfore end. No sign of his car. I found that to be very sneaky

I always thought they couldn't do that. I know people will say ''if you're not speeding you have nothing to worry about'' but there's a big difference between someone 70/80 km over the limit to someone going 5 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Quackster wrote: »
    Ah, right. The fire seems to have been significant enough which would suggest the floor underneath must have suffered water damage at the very least. Which would then call into question the safety of the electrics etc.

Who exactly has been using that hostel that it's been a source of trouble?

It's been used as a homeless hostel. Features regularly as an address in the Courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

kn wrote: »
    It's been used as a homeless hostel. Features regularly as an address in the Courts.

Which one of the homeless charities/industries owns it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

BPKS wrote: »
    Which one of the homeless charities/industries owns it?

I think the HSE are running it. They do with a few places in town, including the Whitehouse and I think BB's in Boherbee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

cms88 wrote: »
    I always thought they couldn't do that. I know people will say ''if you're not speeding you have nothing to worry about'' but there's a big difference between someone 70/80 km over the limit to someone going 5 or so.

I remember the days of driving down to Tralee for the weekend and seeing them hiding behind trees and in ditches on the rathkeale bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I think the HSE are running it. They do with a few places in town, including the Whitehouse and I think BB's in Boherbee.

Funny enough, I don’t think too much of that goes on in Killarney. Wonder why that would be..?
    Worth looking at the trip advisor reviews for Finnegans, much of it is appalling. I don’t think it’s actually a hostel any more, I guess the HSE business is better paying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Funny enough, I don’t think too much of that goes on in Killarney. Wonder why that would be..?
    Worth looking at the trip advisor reviews for Finnegans, much of it is appalling. I don’t think it’s actually a hostel any more, I guess the HSE business is better paying.

The HSE definitely pay a lot better! I'm not sure if the Castle Hostel rents any beds to the HSE. We won't get many tourist staying here if the hostels aren't available!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

My daughter dances in the KDYS and there is no way we let her walk in and out of there on her own. The people from the hostel hanging around, the broken bottles of spirits around the place, empty cans, there was one case where the residents were throwing things out the window at people going into the KDYS - its an awful eyesore in Denny St.
    I remember it as the Y , me and my friends would go in, to watch the election counts.
    I took a girl there on a date, to watch a play, mid 90's I think.
    What you describe now, is a place, that you would only find in the worst parts of big American cities.
    How Tralee has changed.

• Advertisement

I remember it as the Y , me and my friends would go in, to watch the election counts.
    I took a girl there on a date, to watch a play, mid 90's I think.
    What you describe now, is a place, that you would only find in the worst parts of big American cities.
    How Tralee has changed.

Its not quite as bad as you describe!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Its not quite as bad as you describe!
    I was just going by the description of the place, Posted by bobdcow.
    Did bobdow lie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,174 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I need the auto A/C serviced on my car. Might need recharged or more. Anyone got a recommendation for a shop in Tralee that does this well? There are a few online and probably more that aren't... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Igotadose wrote: »
    I need the auto A/C serviced on my car. Might need recharged or more. Anyone got a recommendation for a shop in Tralee that does this well? There are a few online and probably more that aren't... Thanks

I've used Cunningham motors in Clash for this and happy with them.

Hairdressers look set to reopen on the 29th! Looks like I'll be able to send back my little one to his creche and get my hair done all in the same week! The excitement is actually too much!! :D:D:P

Town centre works to begin in the Bridge street area in September. Details in link below:

https://tralee.ie/town-centre-works-2020/?fbclid=IwAR04gwfpgmZulx6NrNQrEeKfmCCKmu-GkQF4THuurflslwdh8_I1NtfmLxY

Hairdressers look set to reopen on the 29th! Looks like I'll be able to send back my little one to his creche and get my hair done all in the same week! The excitement is actually too much!! :D:D:P

You'll probably spend the week queuing though.....

kn wrote: »
    You'll probably spend the week queuing though.....

I'm on a waiting list for hairdresser...no queuing involved thankfully! Just waiting to hear what date my appointment is for!

I just read on Pa Daly's facebook page that its looking unlikely that the Aqua dome will reopen this year. It is due to the restrictions on numbers allowed and factoring in the cost of their insurance, it may not be worth their while to reopen. It could be the nail in the coffin for them. They have been in trouble with spiralling insurance costs and claims in the last few years.

I just read on Pa Daly's facebook page that its looking unlikely that the Aqua dome will reopen this year. It is due to the restrictions on numbers allowed and factoring in the cost of their insurance, it may not be worth their while to reopen. It could be the nail in the coffin for them. They have been in trouble with spiralling insurance costs and claims in the last few years.

They were always only one bad summer season away from closing as the insurance costs plus the excess they were expected to pay (which begs the question whats insurance for in the first place) made it very marginal. If they close I doubt we will be seeing them open anytime soon. Always found the staff in there good. It used to be abused by locals as well with memberships not actually renewing but just walking because their face was known - that was before the photo ID's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Very hard to see how they will reopen without a massive bailout from somewhere. Closing a building like that for a long period of time could lead to it deteriorate quickly leading to large maintenance costs.
    It’s one of those businesses that would do well in a GOfundme campaign as it’s a bit more than just a business to most Kerry people imo.

Halfords are reopening on July 3rd. Just saw it on their facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm on a waiting list for hairdresser...no queuing involved thankfully! Just waiting to hear what date my appointment is for!

Probably Monday 29 June.....

....2035 :)

Luckily I know my hairdresser for many years so she will have me sorted :P;)

That's just cruel......getting her hopes up like that......:D

The chipper across from O'Mahoney's next to Daybreak at Pres Convent entrance is getting another makeover :-)

The chipper across from O'Mahoney's next to Daybreak at Pres Convent entrance is getting another makeover :-)

Spotted that earlier! Is it getting another owner now too? :confused:

Spotted that earlier! Is it getting another owner now too? :confused:

Seems to happen every 6 months like clockwork!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Fitzgibbon Interiors have opened their new superstore in the old Randles Nissan showroom in Manor and Starbucks seem to be very advanced with their drive thru cafe (signage erected) in Manor also.

Nice to see some businesses opening or expanding despite others sadly closing down.

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    Fitzgibbon Interiors have opened their new superstore in the old Randles Nissan showroom in Manor and Starbucks seem to be very advanced with their drive thru cafe (signage erected) in Manor also.

Nice to see some businesses opening or expanding despite others sadly closing down.

There's also a new Italian restaurant opening in Edward Street, 'Sforno Restaurant'. I think its in where the Indian used to be.

Advertisement