Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Election Candidates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Big Vern wrote: »
    As a former Labour supporter myself i always follow their fortunes closely. Its an interesting point you make regarding the 'stickies'. Do you the people you talked to feel the 'stickies' are the ones that have pushed the party in a different direction, the likes of Gilmore/Rabbite etc? What direction do they want the party to move in?

Yes, after Brendan Corish and Frank Cluskey the party took a swing to the right with O'Leary and then Spring and the irony is that the merger with DL was seen by many as a step towards bringing the party further back toward the left. In fact, it had the opposite effect with the Mullingar accord seen as just rubber stamping FG policies. As party leader, Rabbitte was seen as talking the talk but not walking the walk and was supported in his strategies by Mc Manus and Gilmore, people felt that while increasing Labour Party support in Dáil Eireann was a good thing, it should be on Labour's founding principles, not as FG light. Rabbitte, many feel, was a disaster as Labour leader and his tenure resulted in SF being able to present themselves as the true representatives of the working man, Ruari Quinn made an honest attempt to recover ground but he was on a hiding to nothing.
    This past Dáil has seen more evidence of Labour's lurch from the left with both Burton and Kelly seen as being "more Tory than the Tories", the Irish Water debacle, a slick move by Kenny to take the heat off FG after Hogan, but then Kelly makes a complete hames of it.
    All these things are watched by the working man, the life blood of the Labour Party, with dismay and more and more votes are trickling away to SF, PBP even Social Democrats. I can see Labour ending up back where they were in the 1980s, and this after being given a huge mandate in 2011. All for singing to the FG hymnsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Yes, after Brendan Corish and Frank Cluskey the party took a swing to the right with O'Leary and then Spring and the irony is that the merger with DL was seen by many as a step towards bringing the party further back toward the left. In fact, it had the opposite effect with the Mullingar accord seen as just rubber stamping FG policies. As party leader, Rabbitte was seen as talking the talk but not walking the walk and was supported in his strategies by Mc Manus and Gilmore, people felt that while increasing Labour Party support in Dáil Eireann was a good thing, it should be on Labour's founding principles, not as FG light. Rabbitte, many feel, was a disaster as Labour leader and his tenure resulted in SF being able to present themselves as the true representatives of the working man, Ruari Quinn made an honest attempt to recover ground but he was on a hiding to nothing.
    This past Dáil has seen more evidence of Labour's lurch from the left with both Burton and Kelly seen as being "more Tory than the Tories", the Irish Water debacle, a slick move by Kenny to take the heat off FG after Hogan, but then Kelly makes a complete hames of it.
    All these things are watched by the working man, the life blood of the Labour Party, with dismay and more and more votes are trickling away to SF, PBP even Social Democrats. I can see Labour ending up back where they were in the 1980s, and this after being given a huge mandate in 2011. All for singing to the FG hymnsheet.

I was involved for a while in WP/DL so when the merger with Labour happened i had hopes of a strong left-wing party, how wrong that turned out!! They will get a real hammering in this election and it will take a while to recover from it, if at all, as you say other parties will take their support. SD could take a lot of their support.

Anyway back to Wexford and with a week to go ive still only had 2 callers, Labour and PBP, missed the SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Odds for Aoife Byrne to be elected have gone from 25/1 to 2/1. I personally feel like all she's doing is digging into Malcolm Byrne and Get Carthy's votes, maybe with the lack of a strong or likeable FG candidate in the area adding a bit into it. Another thing to note is that she seems to be doing quite well in New Ross. I personally don't see her getting elected, but she might serve as someone to split the FF vote, working go D'arcy's advantage. Just my two cents, it's an interesting development.

This is an interesting development alright. I would never put her into the mix for a seat. Then again as you say a lot of support in New Ross area would help. Also i feel there is a lot of votes up for grabs in the Wex town area, haven't seen Ger Carthy do much nor FG's Julie Hogan.

I think its going to be an interesting count!

This is an interesting development alright. I would never put her into the mix for a seat. Then again as you say a lot of support in New Ross area would help. Also i feel there is a lot of votes up for grabs in the Wex town area, haven't seen Ger Carthy do much nor FG's Julie Hogan.

I think its going to be an interesting count!

It comes to show that while money may not buy happiness it could well buy a seat in Leinster House... Get Carthy will take a slip quite soon I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

man98 wrote: »
    It comes to show that while money may not buy happiness it could well buy a seat in Leinster House... Get Carthy will take a slip quite soon I'd imagine.

Money and family connections!!

I think Carthy will get a good number of first preference votes in his area, he got over 1900 in the local election, but it wont be enough to put him in the mix. Be interesting to see where his transfers will go. James Browne got around the same in the locals, but he'll pick up the county wide FF vote as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Brendan Howlin is sorry he missed me - well don't call when most people are out at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭patsy sally

where were howlin,kehoe and even john browne when st senans hospital closed down? with two ministers in this county, they couldnt even get us an acute psychiatric unit returned to this county, so ministers kehoe and howlin werent much good to us then. How many jobs did two ministers bring to this county? The south east is always left behind, whether it is, roads, hospitals, schools, IDA visits you name it, wexford is always left behind. and what did ministers kehoe and howlin do about that?????
    I distinctly remember a debate on local radio whereby minister howlin said that to some people work is a dirty word- and he tried denying it....
    IMHO howlin and kehoe wont be ministers this time next week.
    as regards, howlins statement of saving Wexford hospital , no he did not. the taxpayers money pay our hospitals, it doesnt come out of the politicians pockets and certianly not howlins!!
    Wexford hospital isn't even in the same hospital group as Waterord so the two hsopitals can't even be compared as Wexford will university status this spring like Waterord.
    Don't beleive a word howlin says because due to our geographical location a report states that wexford and letterkenny hsopitals cannot be downgraded. Especially as wicklow has no hospital and Wexford has the only maternity unit between wex,wicklow and even naas, believe it or not. So arrogant howlin talks scutter.

he will prob get in alright but id say he will find it very hard. crown him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jdoe

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Brendan Howlin is sorry he missed me - well don't call when most people are out at work!

Brendan howlin is not one bit sorry he missed you, in fact he didn't miss you at all. Himself and Paul Kehoe have their canvassing team using two types of leaflets - one which has a the old reliable list of polices and all that, which they give to the people who are at home. While the other has a smiling face of each of them and a title which says 'sorry I've missed you' with their photocopied signature on the back which they push in the letterbox when no ones at home. - thus suggesting that they were actually there in person using their time to visit your house being 'sorry' that they didn't see you.

where were howlin,kehoe and even john browne when st senans hospital closed down? with two ministers in this county, they couldnt even get us an acute psychiatric unit returned to this county, so ministers kehoe and howlin werent much good to us then. How many jobs did two ministers bring to this county? The south east is always left behind, whether it is, roads, hospitals, schools, IDA visits you name it, wexford is always left behind. and what did ministers kehoe and howlin do about that?????
    I distinctly remember a debate on local radio whereby minister howlin said that to some people work is a dirty word- and he tried denying it....
    IMHO howlin and kehoe wont be ministers this time next week.
    as regards, howlins statement of saving Wexford hospital , no he did not. the taxpayers money pay our hospitals, it doesnt come out of the politicians pockets and certianly not howlins!!
    Wexford hospital isn't even in the same hospital group as Waterord so the two hsopitals can't even be compared as Wexford will university status this spring like Waterord.
    Don't beleive a word howlin says because due to our geographical location a report states that wexford and letterkenny hsopitals cannot be downgraded. Especially as wicklow has no hospital and Wexford has the only maternity unit between wex,wicklow and even naas, believe it or not. So arrogant howlin talks scutter.

So it's Howlin and Kehoe's fault when hospitals close, but when others are expanded it's nothing to do with them? You're right though, Wexford needs proper mental health services in the general hospital. The people advocating for St. Senans to be reopened, however, had thry ever been inside the place? It's a Victorian hellhole, completely outdated. Wicklow has no maternity hospital because there's Loughlinstown in Dublin, just inside the M50. No more than 40 minutes from Arklow. Naas is 20 minutes from Tallaght hospital. Regardless of population base, there was a need to consolidate health services and Wexford is well placed as a catchment and necessary in case of emergencies, as you've said. Waterford was only moved out of Wexford's grouping in 2013, which is of note. School building is going on all around us, this can't come quick enough IMO. There is certainly an employment issue, though we can't forget Clearstream in Enniscorthy and Wexford Creamery, among other smaller announcements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I was in and out of A & E back in 2010 every second week and they was strong possibility I can recall speaking with Howlin and he said his main goal was to save the A & E and invest in it in the next government I believed him voted for him and seems to have kept his word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Jdoe wrote: »
    Brendan howlin is not one bit sorry he missed you, in fact he didn't miss you at all. Himself and Paul Kehoe have their canvassing team using two types of leaflets - one which has a the old reliable list of polices and all that, which they give to the people who are at home. While the other has a smiling face of each of them and a title which says 'sorry I've missed you' with their photocopied signature on the back which they push in the letterbox when no ones at home. - thus suggesting that they were actually there in person using their time to visit your house being 'sorry' that they didn't see you.

Oh and there was me genuinely believing he had called and was sorry he missed me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Jdoe wrote: »

To be fair I had Paul keogh himself call to me he just had one guy with him that's all had howlins back up dancers alright no sign of the man himself tho he was obviously sorry he couldn't make it I'm sure :)
    Had mr Wallace call aswell could see a pink shirt and mad hair before I even got to the door :) no other callers tho I'm disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

kneemos wrote: »
    Interesting to see how James Brown does.John Brown had almost the safest seat in the country.

An excellent bloodsport anyway whatever happens.

James Brown will get in of course, because Daddy!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

just for the record, There was 30-40 staff let go from Clearstream since Kehoe and Howlin stepped in for the photos and the praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

Howlin is the ultimately mate spoofer. The lies spouted by Labour in the run up to the last election was shocking,they totally let themselves down and rightly so they will pay for it in this Election. Locally Howlin has being a disaster for Wexford holding a ministerial post. Jobs Jobs Jobs are needed so badly here in Wexford. There has not been a significant job announcement in Wexford in years. Was so jealous listening to Simon Coveney the other day outlying all the jobs generated in every town in Cork. Bow your head in shame howlin,voted for you last time but feel so god damn let down,be the last time I will vote for him. A minister should be a huge boost for any county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Navarre wrote: »
    just for the record, There was 30-40 staff let go from Clearstream since Kehoe and Howlin stepped in for the photos and the praise.

Minimum wage too.

gmurphy70 wrote: »
    Howlin is the ultimately mate spoofer. The lies spouted by Labour in the run up to the last election was shocking,they totally let themselves down and rightly so they will pay for it in this Election. Locally Howlin has being a disaster for Wexford holding a ministerial post. Jobs Jobs Jobs are needed so badly here in Wexford. There has not been a significant job announcement in Wexford in years. Was so jealous listening to Simon Coveney the other day outlying all the jobs generated in every town in Cork. Bow your head in shame howlin,voted for you last time but feel so god damn let down,be the last time I will vote for him. A minister should be a huge boost for any county.

100% Not a hope of me giving him a scratch ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

To be fair staffing levels go up and down in line with demand in most international manufacturing companies. There are just so few international manufacturing companies left in Wexford that it stands out.

And minimum wage they may be but isn't that better than nothing?

When Clearstream started out as Angio-Dynamics they weren't minimum wage jobs. Staff were treated well and with respect, people were sent to the states for training not grunted at by someone with little or no English. So, no, imo a minimum wage, no respect job isn't better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Dilbert the point i am making is Kehoe and Howlin were on SER last week and if memory serves me correct both of them mentioned Clearstream the big extension and the extra jobs when asked about what the FG/Lab government brought in the way of Jobs to Co Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Dilbert the point i am making is Kehoe and Howlin were on SER last week and if memory serves me correct both of them mentioned Clearstream the big extension and the extra jobs when asked about what the FG/Lab government brought in the way of Jobs to Co Wexford.

Ah ok - makes sense now. Don't listen to SER so wasn't aware of that.

Only a few days to go and still a lack of callers to the door!!

No FF (not surprised) No SF (very surprised) No FG (they obviously see their votes elsewhere).

In the last election i had countless callers, even had people canvassing for FG's Paul Kehoe down from Enniscorthy.

None of the 'Wexford town area' independents have called either.

Not expecting a big rush over the next few nights!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Does anybody know much about independent candidate Emmet Moloney?

Dont know much about him, campaigning on being a wexford man for wexford.
    Has also raised the issue of mental health and the lack of services etc in Wexford.

More on his facebook page here:
    https://www.facebook.com/Vote-Emmet-Moloney-901198493304241/

Thanks Big Vern.

Mental health services seems to be low down or missing from a lot of candidates priorities.

Thanks Big Vern.

Mental health services seems to be low down or missing from a lot of candidates priorities.

Yeah surely is and its a huge problem. Has affected someone i work with recently. Its something they don't seem interested in, its jobs, jobs, jobs.

Had 2 sorry i missed yous from Browne (FF) and Mythen (SF) when i came home from work yesterday. Im sure they actually called and didn't just put the leaflet in my letter box!

Any updates on the betting in Wexford? Betting websites blocked in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Any updates on the betting in Wexford? Betting websites blocked in work!

Heard my cue!
    Last week

5EfY1di.png?1

WzpGp6y.png

Wallace tightening a bit, both FG and LAB slipping slightly. Carty tightened a fraction, as did Mythen.

Rest looks like some people placing hail mary's on the outsiders.

• Advertisement

Here you go....

EDIT:

Sorry, too late, didn't see it was posted already!

Advertisement