Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Election Candidates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Listening to SE Radio, apparently turnout is brisk all over the county with estimates of a final turnout of over 60%. While this is to be welcomed, I find it incredible and sad that, barring some unavoidable situation, up to 40% of the people of our country couldn't care less about who decides and governs their future and the future of their children.
    We see it every day on TV, pictures of people in other parts of the world, travelling huge distances and queuing for hours in all weathers, to get the chance to vote, yet here we just won't discommode ourselves even a little bit. Get out and vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

That bothers me a hell of a lot too Marhay70. I cannot fathom why people don't go out and vote. Fine, don't show an active interest in politics, but please take an hour to familiarise yourself with who is running for election, what their policies are and pick a candidate. Then go out and vote. I don't care if they vote for a party I hate or if they pick a candidate I disagree with, I'd just be delighted to see non-voters get up and go vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I don't give a flying fig about what X or Y are like in Wexford. This is a general election to elect NATIONAL representatives. That's the problem with Irish politics, we never look at the big picture. It's all about what's in it for me

I'd have to agree here.

I don't live in Wexford any more, moved to Dublin and recently to Wicklow.
    Still am down quite a bit, and would like to move back when able.

However, the tone on this thread seems to be all about local issues and freebies.
    Overall in Ireland, electoral issues seem to come down to:

1) What are you going to give me (lower tax, higher services, etc)
    2) I'm not willing to pay for any of 1), make 'da rich' pay [we have one of the most progressive tax systems in Europe already]
    3) Can you fix the roads, keep the A+E, and magic up some IDA investment.

Its rare to come across (online, less so in person) a realistic sense of assessment when it comes to how a government performed.

Personally, the Troika ran this place for the last while and that wasn't necessarily the worst outcomes. I've been able to expand my business and hire some people and I'm seeing a lot more traffic on the roads now heading to/from Dublin then I was seeing even 6 months ago.

Yes, we need social housing. Yes, we need a better health system. But those are issues that can't be magiced up in a short space of time - they have long lead times.

I think (personally) that Varadakar has done well in health - has patched up a lot of crap that Riley did and if given a few more years we might start to see better return on what we put in. I think Labour made a balls of their portfolios as they had over promised and can't really point to anything solid that they've achieved through positive action (saying it would have been worse doesn't cut it)

Anyway, m 2c. I won't be voting for Wallace or SF or the indos.

I don't know if voting for FG or FF will make any real difference. I'd chuck LAB a sympathy vote if it were someone young and on the up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Listening to SE Radio, apparently turnout is brisk all over the county with estimates of a final turnout of over 60%. While this is to be welcomed, I find it incredible and sad that, barring some unavoidable situation, up to 40% of the people of our country couldn't care less about who decides and governs their future and the future of their children.
    We see it every day on TV, pictures of people in other parts of the world, travelling huge distances and queuing for hours in all weathers, to get the chance to vote, yet here we just won't discommode ourselves even a little bit. Get out and vote.

And you're surprised at low turnouts? It has been going that way for years and suits many politicians as it will be left to party members deciding election results as the disillusioned fall away. I never had less interest in an election but will still drag myself to the polling station to give Mick Wallace a number 1. Then it's a pint, or two, to try and anesthesize myself.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    And you're surprised at low turnouts? It has been going that way for years and suits many politicians as it will be left to party members deciding election results as the disillusioned fall away. I never had less interest in an election but will still drag myself to the polling station to give Mick Wallace a number 1. Then it's a pint, or two, to try and anesthesize myself.

I'm more saddened than surprised. People should be proud to say they played their part rather than sulk and moan if it doesn't turn out they way they'd like when they couldn't be bothered to try and influence it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Done!
    1 Leonard Kelly
    2 Brendan Howlin
    3 Mick Wallace

The end

ezra_ wrote: »
    I'd have to agree here.

I don't live in Wexford any more, moved to Dublin and recently to Wicklow.
    Still am down quite a bit, and would like to move back when able.

However, the tone on this thread seems to be all about local issues and freebies.
    Overall in Ireland, electoral issues seem to come down to:

1) What are you going to give me (lower tax, higher services, etc)
    2) I'm not willing to pay for any of 1), make 'da rich' pay [we have one of the most progressive tax systems in Europe already]
    3) Can you fix the roads, keep the A+E, and magic up some IDA investment.

Its rare to come across (online, less so in person) a realistic sense of assessment when it comes to how a government performed.

Personally, the Troika ran this place for the last while and that wasn't necessarily the worst outcomes. I've been able to expand my business and hire some people and I'm seeing a lot more traffic on the roads now heading to/from Dublin then I was seeing even 6 months ago.

Yes, we need social housing. Yes, we need a better health system. But those are issues that can't be magiced up in a short space of time - they have long lead times.

I think (personally) that Varadakar has done well in health - has patched up a lot of crap that Riley did and if given a few more years we might start to see better return on what we put in. I think Labour made a balls of their portfolios as they had over promised and can't really point to anything solid that they've achieved through positive action (saying it would have been worse doesn't cut it)

Anyway, m 2c. I won't be voting for Wallace or SF or the indos.

I don't know if voting for FG or FF will make any real difference. I'd chuck LAB a sympathy vote if it were someone young and on the up

The problem ezra is that the status quo is not working for Seán and Mary citizen, the established parties govern in the interests of a section of the population at the expense of the rest. One only has to look at the debacle of Irish Water to see that. I would say that the majority of those who are opposed to water charges, see the need for water to be paid for in some way but this government weren't interested in setting up a utility to deliver potable water to all citizens at a fair price, no, they had to invent high paying, high pensioned positions for the favoured few, with the prospect of even more goodies when the utility is privatised. This is the sort of thing that is happening all over our society and though I agree there is a certain sense of entitlement among a section of the "lower orders", that same sense of entitlement is also present in the higher orders except it takes a different form.
    There isn't enough space in this forum to go into the ins and outs of the situation but the fact that the established parties of FF, FG, Labour struggle to command a simple majority between them, speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

gmurphy70 wrote: »
    I just hate this thing of his father was a TD he should be good enough. He is a spoofer of the highest order and just loves the gravy train that is the life of the TD. Wexford has the have the worst line of candidates in the country... We have had a minister that has done nothing for wexford when he had the power to, not worth speaking about Paul Kehoe, Wallace has his own problems, Elected Toomey last time for what better anyone was? Then we have 3 candidates who are following in their daddys footsteps Byrne, Darcy and Browne. There is no viable candidate that you could even give a protest vote to!!!!!!!!!!!!!Oh god help us all in Wexford...... So for me
    1.Malcolm Byrne,
    2.Mick Wallace

GET HIM TO PAY THE MILLIONS HE OWES, VOTE FOR HAIRY WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

All done
    1.mick Wallace
    2. Paul keogh
    3. Ger carthy
    4. Malcolm byrne (just coz darcy can feck off)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

sjb25 wrote: »
    All done
    1.mick Wallace
    2. Paul keogh
    3. Ger carthy
    4. Malcolm byrne (just coz darcy can feck off)

I'm intrigued by people like you who can vote for Mick Wallace and then Paul Kehoe - it's like somebody up North voting for the DUP and SF. :confused:

• Advertisement

I'm intrigued by people like you who can vote for Mick Wallace and then Paul Kehoe - it's like somebody up North voting for the DUP and SF. :confused:

Ah well at least they voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

GET HIM TO PAY THE MILLIONS HE OWES, VOTE FOR HAIRY WTF

Vote for Darcy because his father was a TD, change what change? WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Ended up voting 1 - 4 and leaving it at that. I can honestly say there wasn't one of them that appealed to me, so just chose tactically to keep others out. 1st time in 35 years that has happened. Sad times

Vote for Darcy because his father was a TD, change what change? WTF

I'm not voting for change, I'd be quite happy to see FG back again. I just hope Mick pays back the money he owes like the way you, me and most people do.

I'm not voting for change, I'd be quite happy to see FG back again. I just hope Mick pays back the money he owes like the way you, me and most people do.

Sorry can't vote for FG or Labour,too many lies told in the run up to last election. Their motto "keep the recovery going" . Unfortunately it hasn't got to Wex yet and by electing Daddy's boy or Paul can't put a sentence together Kehoe, Wex will continue to suffer, can't see how people would be so blind, Maybe it was the aeroplane with the banner that got you ! And if he does get in that is the last you will hear from him until next time!!

Sorry can't vote for FG or Labour,too many lies told in the run up to last election. Their motto "keep the recovery going" . Unfortunately it hasn't got to Wex yet and by electing Daddy's boy or Paul can't put a sentence together Kehoe, Wex will continue to suffer, can't see how people would be so blind, Maybe it was the aeroplane with the banner that got you ! And if he does get in that is the last you will hear from him until next time!!

Fair enough I'm voting FG/FF, MD is local to me and I've met him on numerous occasions and find him intelligent and an ok guy. Will vote JB as well as I went to his father last year and he was extremely helpful.

I just can't vote for Mick, living the high life and owing millions. As a person I'd say he is ok.

I think Malcolm Byrne will get the seat instead of Darcy unfortunately.

Fair enough I'm voting FG/FF, MD is local to me and I've met him on numerous occasions and find him intelligent and an ok guy. Will vote JB as well as I went to his father last year and he was extremely helpful.

I just can't vote for Mick, living the high life and owing millions. As a person I'd say he is ok.

As a builder myself in the boom ,I would have somewhat sympathy for him, not all developers were bad, while he was caught with Tax issues, which could of easily happened to any developer if they had over extended on buying future development land. I was out of work for 3 years with no dole,just lucky I hadn't purchased development land but still no income for 3 years and present government did sweet FA to help. It would drive you to screwing the government and banks too... Hard one to see every foreigner and dead beat getting free houses and money while others who created employment got zilch But I know it's a tricky one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

1 Mick Wallace
    2 Ann Walsh
    3 Leonard Kelly
    4 Emmett Moloney

Filled out to 13, a slight preference for independents but most of the big parties were there by the end.

I just can't vote for Mick, living the high life and owing millions..

What high life?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

That bothers me a hell of a lot too Marhay70. I cannot fathom why people don't go out and vote. Fine, don't show an active interest in politics, but please take an hour to familiarise yourself with who is running for election, what their policies are and pick a candidate. Then go out and vote. I don't care if they vote for a party I hate or if they pick a candidate I disagree with, I'd just be delighted to see non-voters get up and go vote.

Agreed, time for mandatory voting or €100 fine, that'll learn them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What high life?

Was thinking the same. Doesn't have a lavish lifestyle at all really. Goes to the odd football match I suppose :confused:

I'm glad I intrigue somebody :) I wanted to vote for Paul as he was actually the only TD in Wexford who responded to me with an issue and helped me out and I kind of think FG have done ok I woulda voted for the other FG candidates but in my book Darcy is a bollix and the other one called to the door and I didn't like her that's it really :) mick Wallace was my number 2 originally but he called to me and actually made sense so he swung me to number one sorry I don't fall into line properly but I made my choice may not be logical but hey I'm not to logical :)

What high life?

Man can't even afford new trousers was covered in paint when I was talking to him :)

sjb25 wrote: »
    Man can't even afford new trousers was covered in paint when I was talking to him :)

I know the ones you're talking about. They're the waterproofs he wears on the touchline at matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

I know the ones you're talking about. They're the waterproofs he wears on the touchline at matches

Waterproof hand painted trousers ? And you claim he's not living the high life eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Rte news said a 50% turnout in New Ross

I wonder how much did D'Arcy spend out of the pocket money he got from being Enda's choice for the Seanad, to hire that plane. I'm glad to know my taxes are being put to good use.

I wonder how much did D'Arcy spend out of the pocket money he got from being Enda's choice for the Seanad, to hire that plane. I'm glad to know my taxes are being put to good use.

Bad move on Darcy's part agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

65% turnout in Wexford town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Done!
    1 Leonard Kelly
    2 Brendan Howlin
    3 Mick Wallace

The end

Same No. 1 in the end! Did Howlin ever get back to you after? ;)

Advertisement