Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Election Candidates

Options
  • 02-01-2016 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

A list of candidates contesting the general election in Wexford in 2016.
    • Ann Walsh - Green Party
    • Aoife Byrne - Fianna Fail
    • Brendan Howlin - Labour
    • Caroline Foxe - Independent
    • David Lloyd - Direct Democracy Ireland
    • Deirdre Wadding - People Before Profit Alliance
    • Emmet Moloney - Independent
    • Ger Carthy - Independent
    • James Browne - Fianna Fail
    • Johnny Mythen - Sinn Féin
    • Leonard Kelly - Social Democrats
    • Malcolm Byrne - Fianna Fail
    • Michael D’Arcy - Fine Gael
    • Mick Wallace - Independent
    • Paul Kehoe - Fine Gael

Source and further details on candidates

There's a few new names to me as I wouldn't be up to date with county politics really. Mick Wallace is the only Independent TD currently sitting for Wexford. I think he'll be re-elected. Also can't see Howlin lose out. Anyone think we might see a second Independent in this year at the expense of FF/FG ? Or think the Social Democrats have any chance with Leonard Kelly ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Cahill has pulled out.
    Kelly doesn't have much a chance, he was unsuccessful in his council election, so I fail to see how he'll fair better in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Interesting to see how James Brown does.John Brown had almost the safest seat in the country.

An excellent bloodsport anyway whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Looking at that selection of worthies and people ask why I will be voting for Mick Wallace - again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Howlin, Kehoe and D'Arcy are three who won't even be a consideration when I come to vote and Howlin got my no.1 last time. Neither will Browne, not because I'm not a FF voter, which I'm not, but because I despise dynastic politics, Malcolm Byrne is probably worth a no. 3 or 4 but my top two are up for grabs at the moment. Leaning towards Mick Wallace and Deirdre Wadding at the moment simply because I want rid of FG/Lab, but I voted for them to get rid of FF/Greens and got severely burned for my trouble, the latest round of vote buying and smear tactics haven't erased my memory of the last five years.
    It's as if we are totally disenfranchised in the country but one thing I won't be doing is voting down the ballot, I've learned over the years that the way our electoral system works, even giving lower preferences can give an advantage to those you don't want to see in government by keeping them in the mix, so FG/Lab will get no preference whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Howlin, Kehoe and D'Arcy are three who won't even be a consideration when I come to vote and Howlin got my no.1 last time. Neither will Browne, not because I'm not a FF voter, which I'm not, but because I despise dynastic politics, Malcolm Byrne is probably worth a no. 3 or 4 but my top two are up for grabs at the moment. Leaning towards Mick Wallace and Deirdre Wadding at the moment simply because I want rid of FG/Lab, but I voted for them to get rid of FF/Greens and got severely burned for my trouble, the latest round of vote buying and smear tactics haven't erased my memory of the last five years.
    It's as if we are totally disenfranchised in the country but one thing I won't be doing is voting down the ballot, I've learned over the years that the way our electoral system works, even giving lower preferences can give an advantage to those you don't want to see in government by keeping them in the mix, so FG/Lab will get no preference whatsoever.

I'd be leaning the same way. I voted for Howlin before but it's astounding how shamefully they manipulated the voters in the last election. And how easily they abandoned their election manifesto.

The party politicians don't really have any individual worth beyond backing up the party and neither FG or FF are progressive enough for my liking. Like him or hate him Wallace pushes the issues other more career focussed politicians shy away from. We could use more like him in the opposition to try offset the disinterest of the Government parties to do anything but cover their own arses.

I was really hoping to see some good independents contesting the election. Had a visit from Ger Carty the other day who seems to be coming up the political channels fast. But even as an independent he's running under the slogan "Carty, a trusted name in Wexford politics". Which puts me off right away. While others are basing campaigns around change he's basing his on his name. I'd be surprised if he didn't do well simply because of who his father was.

I'll probably end up trying to support parties like People Before Profit and the Social Democrats just to try help them get a better hook into Irish politics. While PBP aren't quite what I want from a left wing part there's still a better option than an extra established party politician or self interested Independent with little to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Gaiuso

I know Mick Wallace highlighted some big issues and wasn't afraid to go against the grain.... But as a representative of Wexford I think he done very little for the constituency that elected him.

I am surprised that people seem so willing to vote for him knowing that he will operate on a 'national level'.

Gaiuso wrote: »
    I know Mick Wallace highlighted some big issues and wasn't afraid to go against the grain.... But as a representative of Wexford I think he done very little for the constituency that elected him.

I am surprised that people seem so willing to vote for him knowing that he will operate on a 'national level'.

He's a good shoite stirrer in fairness.
    Still need somebody to run the place at the end of the day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Ger carthy mite be worth a shot I'd say seems a good guy

We don't want national politicians spending their time dealing with local issues, that's what we supposedly have Councillors for, although FF/FG/Lab have all played a part in the demise of local politics. It's a disgrace how little voice the ordinary people have when it comes to their local areas; unelected, politically appointed county managers and public servants seem to be the sole arbiters of what happens at a local level, Councillors seem to have been reduced to glorified town planning officers.
    People should be exercising their franchise to dismantle the self serving, vested interest dominated, established party structures and bringing new faces and ideas to the political scene FF/FG/Lab have had it all their own way for the guts of 100 years and as the old saying goes, it's insane to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gaiuso

It is probably a weakness in Irish politics but TDs play a role in local issues.

'As well as work at the Dáil and on Committees, TDs work within their own constituencies. They hold regular advice clinics throughout their constituencies so that voters can meet them personally. Often they provide assistance to constituents with a family/personal problem relating to a government department.'
    Source: .citizensinformation.ie (Role of a TD) - I can't post links.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    We don't want national politicians spending their time dealing with local issues, that's what we supposedly have Councillors for, although FF/FG/Lab have all played a part in the demise of local politics. It's a disgrace how little voice the ordinary people have when it comes to their local areas; unelected, politically appointed county managers and public servants seem to be the sole arbiters of what happens at a local level, Councillors seem to have been reduced to glorified town planning officers.
    People should be exercising their franchise to dismantle the self serving, vested interest dominated, established party structures and bringing new faces and ideas to the political scene FF/FG/Lab have had it all their own way for the guts of 100 years and as the old saying goes, it's insane to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

• Advertisement

It is probably a weakness in Irish politics but TDs play a role in local issues.

'As well as work at the Dáil and on Committees, TDs work within their own constituencies. They hold regular advice clinics throughout their constituencies so that voters can meet them personally. Often they provide assistance to constituents with a family/personal problem relating to a government department.'

I'm not disputing that Gaiuso, I'm saying that that is not what we elect them for. We elect TDs as legislators and protectors of the common welfare of the nation, not pothole fillers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Voting Darcy, Browne and Kehoe and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Not a chance of voting for those wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

I don't see where all this means Wallace is operating on a national level at the expense of the local community.

He's been very active in Wexford since being elected. He's attended a lot of meetings with constituents and groups in Wexford over charges and cutbacks. As well as dealt with people personally and helped with problems as all TD's do.

What specifically do you think he should have done that he hasn't ?

TDs aren't elected as pothole fillers. However, we need to strike a balance between parish pump and simply being a legislator. As citizens and voters, we have a right for our interests to be pushed through. The south east is the unemployment black hole and, while many of Howlin's policies were harsh and damaging, I respect him for the work he has done to further Wexford's interests - manifested through various infrastructure improvements and employment prospects. Howlin was able to accomplish more than Browne could in his tenure, though he struck a relative balance with a focus on national politics to, seen in the referendums last year. Of course, the likes of Ger Carthy are taking the parish pump method and running with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

While in theory TD's are not elected to deal with local issues, in practice it's a different story. For years we have been hearing about how politics has to change but it never does and shows no signs of doing so in the short to medium term and probably beyond. Having a minister in a constituency still seems to be the best way of securing money for it and putting aside personal opinions of him Howlin has seen to it that after years of neglect by FF led governments Wexford and in particular Wexford town has benefitted from him holding his ministerial position. I'm sure the same can be said for the constituencies of other ministers. To have a political system where TD's deal only with the national level would require a total overhaul of our political system. As it is there are way too many elected politicians at local and national level. Politicians voting for real reform of the system is like turkeys voting for Christmas!
    So who to vote for. Mick Wallace who 'appears' to do little for Wexford and can be embarrassing. Howlin/Kehoe who 'lied' their way in to office through their broken promises but then isn't that how it's always been except for maybe during the Celtic Tiger years. Browne/Byrne who are 'entitled' to the 'family' seat. Mythen whose party seem to have as much of a problem with the truth as the rest. Wadding who puts people before profit but can we really afford to take a chance that they could hold the balance of power. Or some of the other independent many of whom don't really seem to have thought it out.

lazer.blue wrote: »
    While in theory TD's are not elected to deal with local issues, in practice it's a different story. For years we have been hearing about how politics has to change but it never does and shows no signs of doing so in the short to medium term and probably beyond. Having a minister in a constituency still seems to be the best way of securing money for it and putting aside personal opinions of him Howlin has seen to it that after years of neglect by FF led governments Wexford and in particular Wexford town has benefitted from him holding his ministerial position. I'm sure the same can be said for the constituencies of other ministers. To have a political system where TD's deal only with the national level would require a total overhaul of our political system. As it is there are way too many elected politicians at local and national level. Politicians voting for real reform of the system is like turkeys voting for Christmas!
    So who to vote for. Mick Wallace who 'appears' to do little for Wexford and can be embarrassing. Howlin/Kehoe who 'lied' their way in to office through their broken promises but then isn't that how it's always been except for maybe during the Celtic Tiger years. Browne/Byrne who are 'entitled' to the 'family' seat. Mythen whose party seem to have as much of a problem with the truth as the rest. Wadding who puts people before profit but can we really afford to take a chance that they could hold the balance of power. Or some of the other independent many of whom don't really seem to have thought it out.

I wouldn't disagree with most of what you say as basically it is the status quo, but at some stage Irish people are going to have to make a leap of faith. If we continue to elect the same self serving politicians then we can never expect change and the only people who can effect change are the voters.
    I'm just listening to Kehoe on SE Radio about the flooding in Enniscorthy, mouthing the same old platitudes and soundbites as always with an off switch triggered as soon as the microphone is out of range, I've never encountered a more insincere politician in all my years and I had the doubtful pleasure of once having dealings with Liam Lawlor. I don't share your opinion of Howlin's achievements, I heard him on radio a few weeks ago claiming to have single handedly saved Wexford Hospital and Rosslare Europort while providing thousands of jobs for Wexford in the future, provided, of course, this government is returned. Pure, unaldulterated BS, as we all know but some people will believe it.
    The prospect of five more years of this particular government is chilling, I don't think any government since the time of Sean Lemass has engendered more misery and depth of feeling as this one and the cynicism of its members is brought home by its decision to allocate almost €20m to retiring and deposed TDs after the next General Election while allocating €5m to flood relief in what is fast becoming a national disaster, this is the mentality we are dealing with.
    It is time to change the system and there is an opportunity coming up in the next month to do so. We need to change the status quo, there should be no such thing as a safe seat, every TD we put into Dáil Eireann should only be there on merit and not because of what party he/she belongs to or who his Daddy was or whether his grandfather fought in a war 100 years ago or played county football/hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Fine Gael have added Julie Hogan (Wexford town) to the ticket to run alongside Kehoe and D'Arcy.

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Fine Gael have added Julie Hogan (Wexford town) to the ticket to run alongside Kehoe and D'Arcy.

AH the auld gender quota kicking in.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

In the past I would have voted for a lamp post if it were a Green Party candidate but not since they got into bed with FF. Mick Wallace all the way - and nobody else on my ballot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The problem with the gender quota is it will split the Fianna Fail and Fine Gael vote across 3 people which could damage chances of them getting a seat. In the local elections Fine Gael ran 5 people which cost them a 3rd seat.

Still Julie Hogan (FG) and Aoife Byrne (FF) might get a small amount of voted but no chances of getting a seat. It shows a real lack of any real talent coming through for the next generation of candidates coming up the ranks.

In fact all women candidates I can't see getting much votes.

Deidre Wadding might do a little well on transfers from Mick Wallace but not the great.

Caroline Foxe will do bad what with her keeping post offices open motto.

Ann Walsh (GP) err green party enough said.

Breda Cahill pulled out of the race.

Ger Carthy is sorta FG and FF lite candidate and could hit them hard in the south rural wexford

Overall it depends on the type of voter who turns up if there is a large influx of young voters like the marriage referendum reacting against traditional voting patterns it will be very interesting indeed

My prediction 1 FG 1 FF 1 LAB 1 INDP Last seat a dogfight between FG and SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

man98 wrote: »
    TDs aren't elected as pothole fillers. However, we need to strike a balance between parish pump and simply being a legislator. As citizens and voters, we have a right for our interests to be pushed through. The south east is the unemployment black hole and, while many of Howlin's policies were harsh and damaging, I respect him for the work he has done to further Wexford's interests - manifested through various infrastructure improvements and employment prospects. Howlin was able to accomplish more than Browne could in his tenure, though he struck a relative balance with a focus on national politics to, seen in the referendums last year. Of course, the likes of Ger Carthy are taking the parish pump method and running with it.

You are having a laugh, right.

Howlin and the party he represents, Labour, lied to the electorate in order to get elected. What have they delivered on their election promises in 2011. They have stood side by side with FG in ensuring austerity was delivered, despite their large election posters that said they would be the social conscience. In my view Labour's performance has been far worse than what Green Party stood by when in government with FF.
    • It's Labour's way or Frankfurt's way (it was Frankfurts way). We'll be paying it for generations to come.
    • no water taxes
    • no hikes in car tax, tax on savings or the odd bottle of wine
    • no cuts to child benefit
    • no college fees
    They no longer represent the people they were set up to represent. Connolly, Larkin and O Brien would be turning in their graves with what these self serving charlatans have sat by and let be implemented.

Coming up to the elections, this government will claim that they have turned this country around. PR magic dreamed up by well paid sheister special advisers and pr gurus.

It was the citizens that turned it around, not politicians. It was those that suffered the austerity measures. Many front line public servants (nurses, cops etc) now work longer hours, with massive changes in work conditions and massive drops in pay under Financial Emergency Measures (supposedly) in the Public Interest.

The health system is a mess with understaffed hospital staff working in deplorable conditions, dangerous for patients. Garda stations have been cut back to the hilt, crime is up everywhere. Ambulance services have been centralised. You might not have noticed it, but the emergency services centre up in Wexford hospital is gone. I hope you or your family are not waiting long in the event of an serious emergency.

Taxpayers money builds hospitals and delivers infrastructure. Politicians always scramble to claim it was their doing. Don't be naive.

I say this as a previous supporter of Labour Party policies. Fool me once....

When he calls around looking for your vote you can be the judge whether he justifies the circa €500,000 that he racked up in pay, allowances and expenses since last been elected.

STB. wrote: »
    You are having a laugh, right.

Howlin and the party he represents, Labour, lied to the electorate in order to get elected. What have they delivered on their election promises in 2011. They have stood side by side with FG in ensuring austerity was delivered, despite their large election posters that said they would be the social conscience. In my view Labour's performance has been far worse than what Green Party stood by when in government with FF.
    • It's Labour's way or Frankfurt's way (it was Frankfurts way). We'll be paying it for generations to come.
    • no water taxes
    • no hikes in car tax, tax on savings or the odd bottle of wine
    • no cuts to child benefit
    • no college fees
    They no longer represent the people they were set up to represent. Connolly, Larkin and O Brien would be turning in their graves with what these self serving charlatans have sat by and let be implemented.

Coming up to the elections, this government will claim that they have turned this country around. PR magic dreamed up by well paid sheister special advisers and pr gurus.

It was the citizens that turned it around, not politicians. It was those that suffered the austerity measures. Many front line public servants (nurses, cops etc) now work longer hours, with massive changes in work conditions and massive drops in pay under Financial Emergency Measures (supposedly) in the Public Interest.

The health system is a mess with understaffed hospital staff working in deplorable conditions, dangerous for patients. Garda stations have been cut back to the hilt, crime is up everywhere. Ambulance services have been centralised. You might not have noticed it, but the emergency services centre up in Wexford hospital is gone. I hope you or your family are not waiting long in the event of an serious emergency.

Taxpayers money builds hospitals and delivers infrastructure. Politicians always scramble to claim it was their doing. Don't be naive.

I say this as a previous supporter of Labour Party policies. Fool me once....

When he calls around looking for your vote you can be the judge whether he justifies the circa €500,000 that he racked up in pay, allowances and expenses since last been elected.

Even worse STB, was the attitude of Labour's top dogs to the plight of their constituency, the contempt shown by the likes of Burton, Kelly, Rabbitte, White, et al to the situation of the less well off, was an eye opener for me. We expect contempt for the "lower" classes from the likes of Fine Gael and Renua, well known for their connections with big business and the monied class but Labour was the refuge of the worker. Where does the worker go now? FF? not while the likes of Martin and O'Dea are still there. SF?, still a bit wary of some of the candidates. Social Democrats?, apart from the leadership, very disappointed with the calibre of candidates, I said at the outset that it would be a mistake to recruit cast offs and malcontents from the other parties but that seems to be exactly what is happening, little new blood. That leaves Independents and the fringe parties like PBP, so not exactly spoilt for choice.
    One thing I am certain of, returning FG to government will be an unmitigated disaster for the working man, we have already seen the rape of our public services and the destruction of the social fabric. Returning FG will mean the total dismantlement of our public health service, privatisation of our water and transportation services and the establishment of a virtual serfdom in our country, the seeds are already being sown. My advice would be, once you have cast your vote for your preferred candidates, leave the rest of your paper blank. Even casting a lower preference for FG/Lab gives them an edge as they will have enough support from party diehards to stay in the race until your lower preference counts. If you don't want them in power then don't vote for them at any level, simples.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

No matter what party these TD's are with or without they all had a massive increase of €14,343 in wages "cough laugh choke " in 2012.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2015/0120/674364-no-expenses-spared/

It's easy to criticise the gov but it's important to recognise what has been done. Have you been down in Wexford General recently? There's generally around 10 on trolleys, which is somewhat of an improvement of the 25+ which we saw 5 years ago or so. Do you remember the march by 5000 people around Wexford to protect our A+E? I do. Since the changeover of gov, tens of millions have been poured into to hospital. Free GP care for Under 6s has been announced.

The party has far from abandoned the people. As a result of Labour, the minimum wage is up by €1 and Wexford has seen significant FDI, as has much of the country. The living wage is now benefitting thousands of workers up and down the country.

Labour is well short of perfect, but they're much better than an SF/FF or FF/FG alternative.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Will it make that much of a difference who gets in? Personally I just see it as same sh1t, different monkeys... no? Every government is going to rob Peter to pay Paul in times like this.

As for Labour... on the same path as the Greens and Progressive Democrats before them. Be careful who you get in bed with is all you can take from that.

That's an attitude which got us where we are today. The way I look at it, if I employ somebody to do a job and they make a b*lls of it, I won't employ them again. Politicians in this country have a sense of entitlement that is beyond belief and they are comfortable in the knowledge that the people will return them regardless of the b*lls up they made the last time, even if it takes two elections or more. Where's the incentive to change their ways?
    When you look at the incompetence of the last FF administration and how they dealt with the construction sector and the financial sector, the lack of regulation and the absence of any action when it was pointed out to them that there would be no soft landing, this was raised as early as 2006. Then take the performance of FG/Lab, whose immediate reaction on taking charge, was to find ways of burdening the taxpayer with the consequences of the crash, rather than seek redress from those responsible.
    I refuse to accept we can't do any better than this and the way to do it, IMO, is to remove the current government, but not to take the lazy way out and replace them with people who have failed us in the past.
    OK, it may not work first time around but the only way to shake up the political establishment is to show them we can, and will, choose an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

It seems to me that maybe the majority of the Irish people are a lot more conservative than we would like to think ourselves to be. Over the last couple of years I've heard and seen the phrase 'time for change' being used a lot but on reflection it's the same relatively small amount of people saying it. Is it the case that there is a silent majority out there who are happy (for want of a better word) with the way things are going and might actually be sold on the FG/Lab line of don't put the recovery at risk? The fear of the unknown might just be strong enough for the majority to take 'the lazy way out' that Marhay70 referred to in the previous post.

lazer.blue wrote: »
    It seems to me that maybe the majority of the Irish people are a lot more conservative than we would like to think ourselves to be. Over the last couple of years I've heard and seen the phrase 'time for change' being used a lot but on reflection it's the same relatively small amount of people saying it. Is it the case that there is a silent majority out there who are happy (for want of a better word) with the way things are going and might actually be sold on the FG/Lab line of don't put the recovery at risk? The fear of the unknown might just be strong enough for the majority to take 'the lazy way out' that Marhay70 referred to in the previous post.

Maybe a certain demographic, but hopefully the Irish electorate is becoming less conservative. Let's face it, FF once had no problem picking up over 40% of the vote, Independents were a small minority and the chances of SF picking up more than 15% were slim to none, so the electorate is becoming more discerning and I would hope that the next generation will be done with civil war politics and not a moment to soon.

• Advertisement

Advertisement