Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Election Candidates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Big Vern wrote: »
    Have people had many callers to their door yet? I'm in Wexford town and yet to receive any, although Leonard Kelly did call before the election but i missed him.

Had Mick Wallace at my door yesterday, he was on his own, no minders, no big entourage, he was sound.
    Had a good chat about the state of the country and why he was doing what he's doing.

Seems genuine and no bs out of him- plain speaking yes, but I'd prefer that to waffle.
    I understand that wex people have concerns he is limited in his influence here in wex but I see the bigger picture.
    he's getting my vote again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I have had Aoife Byrne, Johhny Mythen, Leonard Kelly and Mick Wallace knocking on my door

I wonder if there will be a large youth presence at this election like that marriage referendum I think a large youth presence voting would produce very interesting results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Had some young fella knock on the door representing Michael D'arcy, asking for a vote. I politely told him it wouldn't be happening. I have yet to see a candidate for any party or an independent who won't be getting the same message.

I might give Caroline Foxe something for her 'homage' to Mrs Brown on her election posters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Our Dear Leader Enda was in Wexford and Enniscorthy today,he had more security than there were people on the street in Enniscorthy.

While interviewed on SE Radio he constantly dodged the question about unemployment and lack of investment in the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    Our Dear Leader Enda was in Wexford and Enniscorthy today,he had more security than there were people on the street in Enniscorthy.

While interviewed on SE Radio he constantly dodged the question about unemployment and lack of investment in the county.

I heard him, he was his usual evasive self.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Missed the interview with Kenny on SE this morning but I suspect I didn't miss much despite Corcoran's insistence yesterday that he wouldn't give him an easy ride. SE seems to foster a motley of FG cheerleaders, foremost among them being Neil Hughes, who plugs "the recovery" every time he is on and Corcoran never seems to ask just where this recovery is. It's certainly not among the little people.
    Had Malcolm Byrne here in Riverchapel at the weekend but I doubt D'Arcy will venture much beyond Mount Alexander, no votes for him out here. He didn't appear at the last GE or the one before that so don't expect any different this time. Robbie Ireton is usually the Labour canvasser in these parts but I gather Robbie is not too well at the moment and I personally think he is as well out of it, not many votes for Labour either.
    TBH I don't expect to see the candidates from the south of the county, I haven't even seen a poster for Mick Wallace but I expect he'll poll well despite that

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jca wrote: »
    I heard him, he was his usual evasive self.

According to him,the new roads will solve all unemployment-we can all get to work in Dublin quicker,we can get out of bed at 6am rather than 5.30 when the motorway is finished.:rolleyes:

Wexford has had some of the fewest visits in the country in relation to prospective sites for factories/business.Seeing as we have 2 of the most senior ministers in government that's scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Anyone else been tuning into Newstalk Breakfast? They are running a series of constituency predictions. I enjoy the banter between Ivan Yates and Chris Donoghue. Ivan is never shy about saying what he feels about each candidate. His predictions for Wexford are here https://www.newstalk.com/election2016/Yates-Prediction:-Fianna-Fil-will-win-a-second-seat-in-Wexford but if you click into the link or the Wexford Consistuency page at the end of that article Caroline Foxe is missing from the candidate list? And Deirdre Wadding's info says she "has been actively campaigning against water charges and austerity and in January 2015 removed and returned her water to Irish Water". Doesn't say how many buckets she returned!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I've had "The Kehoe Bus" up at my house on Monday. Firstly Paul himself called with a few back up dancers. Then about 5 minutes later another group of his entourage called.

Last night James Browne called, alone, it was pissing rain and freezing, the lad was shaking. I felt a bit sorry for him but that's the business they're in I suppose.

I've had "The Kehoe Bus" up at my house on Monday. Firstly Paul himself called with a few back up dancers. Then about 5 minutes later another group of his entourage called.

Last night James Browne called, alone, it was pissing rain and freezing, the lad was shaking. I felt a bit sorry for him but that's the business they're in I suppose.

• Advertisement

jordata wrote: »
    Anyone else been tuning into Newstalk Breakfast? They are running a series of constituency predictions. I enjoy the banter between Ivan Yates and Chris Donoghue. Ivan is never shy about saying what he feels about each candidate. His predictions for Wexford are here https://www.newstalk.com/election2016/Yates-Prediction:-Fianna-Fil-will-win-a-second-seat-in-Wexford but if you click into the link or the Wexford Consistuency page at the end of that article Caroline Foxe is missing from the candidate list? And Deirdre Wadding's info says she "has been actively campaigning against water charges and austerity and in January 2015 removed and returned her water to Irish Water". Doesn't say how many buckets she returned!!

I wouldn't consider Newstalk a source of unbiased political news but I agree that FG are unlikely to hold Twomey's seat, Twomey was never comfortable in holding it himself, particularly after joining FG. I just find it depressing that voters in Wexford would consider the alternative has to be FF. I'm not convinced Howlin will hold his seat either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Just to let people know. I have today thrown my hat into this election. I do so for a variety of reasons. I pose what i believe to be an important question for new ross and the surrounding area....are we content to be represented by TDs from Enniscorthy, Gorey or Wexford? In a county that has one of the highest unemployment rates in Ireland, are we seriously being asked to vote for the very same people who caused such misery for so many?

Above from his facebook page , I see John Dwyer is going ahead now , which can only be a good thing to grab the anti-government votes from Mick in the local area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

ezra_ wrote: »
    Latest Paddy Power odds:

376682.png

Updated odds from PP:

dWhofOi.png

Wallace less certain, current Gov either unchanged or slightly better on. S/F on the up.

Ger Carthy has taken a huge drift.

TheChevron wrote: »
    Ger Carthy has taken a huge drift.

Lack of a strong FF or FG candidate in south wexford means Ger is eating into their vote and the Liam Twomey market aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

Ger is drifting, not shortening. I wonder will the Indo have a constituency poll. Malcolm Byrne will do well with the liberal voters who do not want to vote "looney" left, shinner or for Howlin.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Lack of a strong FF or FG candidate in south wexford means Ger is eating into their vote and the Liam Twomey market aswell.

Yeah as jd said, he's drifting as in his odds are getting bigger which means the bookies think he has less of a chance of getting a seat...if ya get me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Yeah surprised Fine Gael didn't run Jim Moore or Staples around the Kilmore area but then the gender quota played a big part in the selection of Hogan. Ivan Yates saying last seat between Malcolm Byrne and D'Arcy, could be a long count.

Badabing wrote: »
    Yeah surprised Fine Gael didn't run Jim Moore or Staples around the Kilmore area but then the gender quota played a big part in the selection of Hogan. Ivan Yates saying last seat between Malcolm Byrne and D'Arcy, could be a long count.

I'd say Malcolm will get a bigger personal vote in the Gorey area than D'Arcy. He has been a good, hard working councillor, unlke D'Arcy who was a TD for four years and barely opened his mouth. His "rest period" in the Seanad hasn't endeared him to many either, Daddy's coat tails only stretch so far.

I understand the odds I was trying to explain why some people think Ger is going to be elected, Personally I think he will do well but to get a seat nah can't see him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Daft question, but how can there be 6 candidates odds-on in a 5 seater?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

Ted_YNWA wrote:
    Daft question, but how can there be 6 candidates odds-on in a 5 seater?

Because bookies have their margin

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Had Brendan Howlin around to the door last Friday. I talked about promises made, he said what promises, Labour didnt make any promises before the last election.
    Yet at the launch of Labours general election manifesto, Mr Howlin said Labour delivered on 95% of it promises!!

Big Vern wrote: »
    Had Brendan Howlin around to the door last Friday. I talked about promises made, he said what promises, Labour didnt make any promises before the last election.
    Yet at the launch of Labours general election manifesto, Mr Howlin said Labour delivered on 95% of it promises!!

You need to be prepared for these guys Vern, he wouldn't have got away from my door that easily. Labour have zero canvassers around Riverchapel that I can see, leaving SF to hoover up the Labour vote despite the fact that the quality of SF representation in the area has been historically poor.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    You need to be prepared for these guys Vern, he wouldn't have got away from my door that easily. Labour have zero canvassers around Riverchapel that I can see, leaving SF to hoover up the Labour vote despite the fact that the quality of SF representation in the area has been historically poor.

Was a bit surprised he came to door himself! But i gave as good as i got on most issues, all he mainly talked about was how the country was broke when they came to power and what he has done for Wex, i.e. Wex General Hospital and building a new school.
    But its hard to argue your point when you're not used to doing it and up against someone who is well used to it and has his figure etc off by heart. Everything he said he said to my Father earlier in the evening.

Ill be very interested to see how SF do, i dont think their candidate is very strong.

ezra_ wrote: »
    Updated odds from PP:

dWhofOi.png

Wallace less certain, current Gov either unchanged or slightly better on. S/F on the up.

5EfY1di.png?1

Latest odds - no change.

Seems that the tone of this thread isn't reflected among the punters. Stronger support for the gov / incumbents.

I suppose bookies will build past form into the odds, just like they do with everything else. Quite a large proportion of the runners have no past form. Judging by the mood on the ground, I doubt it will be that clear cut, you'd hope people are able to see beyond their noses at this stage.

Past form might be present in the initial odds, but now there is money behind where they are at.

Its been stable now for two weeks, so it would seem that the above is where people are putting their money (and we'll know in a few days if that is a good proxy for a vote!)

This is where pP is calling it:

Iansh4S.png

Stronger support for LAB than the polls would say (quiet LAB voter?) and very small odds of the shinners being in power.
    Seems to be heading towards a propped up FG vote, which is bad outcome there will be much parish pumpery and a lack of certainty

I seem to remember PP got it wrong with the UK GE last year. My worst nightmare, and IMO the country's, would be a FF/FG coalition, indeed any coalition that included FG and I really can't see it working. Too many egos would have to be sacrificed and whatever about FG, I don't think the grass roots FF supporter would be at all happy. I think it's an arrangement that could see the complete demise of FF in 2021. I think SF would be happy enough to be the biggest opposition party and I think the punters have got it wrong about Labour's prospects, I think they'll even struggle to outperform the Social Democrats despite being a traditional party and having twice the number of candidates. As a former Labour supporter myself, I don't say this lightly as I know there are a lot of good decent folk in the Labour Party but in conversations with them, even they feel betrayed by the direction Labour have taken since the "stickie" takeover.

• Advertisement

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I seem to remember PP got it wrong with the UK GE last year. My worst nightmare, and IMO the country's, would be a FF/FG coalition, indeed any coalition that included FG and I really can't see it working. Too many egos would have to be sacrificed and whatever about FG, I don't think the grass roots FF supporter would be at all happy. I think it's an arrangement that could see the complete demise of FF in 2021. I think SF would be happy enough to be the biggest opposition party and I think the punters have got it wrong about Labour's prospects, I think they'll even struggle to outperform the Social Democrats despite being a traditional party and having twice the number of candidates. As a former Labour supporter myself, I don't say this lightly as I know there are a lot of good decent folk in the Labour Party but in conversations with them, even they feel betrayed by the direction Labour have taken since the "stickie" takeover.

As a former Labour supporter myself i always follow their fortunes closely. Its an interesting point you make regarding the 'stickies'. Do you the people you talked to feel the 'stickies' are the ones that have pushed the party in a different direction, the likes of Gilmore/Rabbite etc? What direction do they want the party to move in?

Advertisement