Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you hate Irish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Bhfeidir go duirt tu cheana fein, ach cen faith a bhfuil d'ainm as gaeilge?

Maybe this has already been said, but why is your username Irish?

Perhaps you missed this question?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

it isn't technically dead

Thank you for correcting your previous post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,040 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Post reported.

That was a reference to the likes of TG4, Irish teachers, etc..

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Again, you've just randomly picked a figure out of nothing so I can disregard it. By the way, even 40,000 is only 1% of the population. Why should the rest of us be coerced into funding their language. If there are so many, why can't they fund it themselves.?

You are just trying to be offensive and contrarian now.

Again, you've just randomly picked a figure out of nothing so I can disregard it. By the way, even 40,000 is only 1% of the population. Why should the rest of us be coerced into funding their language. If there are so many, why can't they fund it themselves.?

Why should I be coerced into paying for RTE1 when I hate Nationwide and Fair City?

• Advertisement

That was a reference to the likes of TG4, Irish teachers, etc..

I really don't care. Its an extremely offensive thing to say hence the reason I reported it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,040 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You are just trying to be offensive and contrarian now.

Right, you seem to have no interest in debate so I'd best leave it there. As usual, the pro-Irish crowd can't come up with a decent excuse to continue funding the parasites.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Why should I be coerced into paying for RTE1 when I hate Nationwide and Fair City?

You shouldn't.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    I have my phone in Irish, and use it around the house and with Irish speaking friends daily.

And so do I try to get my friends speaking Irish. In fact, I try to make them better Irish myself.

Right, you seem to have no interest in debate so I'd best leave it there. As usual, the pro-Irish crowd can't come up with a decent excuse to continue funding the parasites.

Who are you calling parasites? This is extremely offensive if you're calling Irish speakers parasites. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

Who are you calling parasites? This is extremely offensive if you're calling Irish speakers parasites. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm calling the pro-Irish lobby, TG4, RnaG and the other Irish language bodies bleeding the state parasites.

H. H. Asquith

You shouldn't.

So your problem is with the licence fee then?

http://www.gaelport.com/default.aspx?treeid=37&NewsItemID=7882 Some stats on Irish language use. Google really isn't such a difficult tool to use.

I agree which is why I reported both of his posts.

So your problem is with the licence fee then?

http://www.gaelport.com/default.aspx?treeid=37&NewsItemID=7882 Some stats on Irish language use. Google really isn't such a difficult tool to use.

People who say they can speak Irish? Nope. Show me figures of people who pass a fluency test maybe.

H. H. Asquith

People who say they can speak Irish? Nope. Show me figures of people who pass a fluency test maybe.

I have never been tested on my ability to speak English, does that make me unable to speak the language?

I'm calling the pro-Irish lobby, TG4, RnaG and the other Irish language bodies bleeding the state parasites.

What about I dunno the arts council? Are they "parasites" too? Or the Irish sports council?

Could you stop deflecting and explain why the Irish language lobby should continue to receive funding or are you unable to?

H. H. Asquith

Why is fluency the only measure you'll accept? Why do you think that's valid?

I can't speak French fluently even though I did well in honors for the leaving - maybe French should be removed from the syllabus?

Could you stop deflecting and explain why the Irish language lobby should continue to receive funding or are you unable to?

Theres well over 100 pages on this thread alone related to the arguments for and against. Read back over them and then come back to us.

I can't speak French fluently even though I did well in honors for the leaving - maybe French should be removed from the syllabus?

French is a modern, European language. It's also beyond the scope of this thread.
    Theres well over 100 pages on this thread alone related to the arguments for and against. Read back over them and then come back to us.

It's 82 pages long.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

Apart from tg4, radio na gaeltachta, nuacht and several irish newspapers, magazines and websites and tens of thousands of irish speakers...apart from all them..
    Name the newspapers and magazines?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Because I hate to break it to you and sorry, but if you're not fluent in a language, it isn't your native language anymore. This should not require pointing out though it seems it still does. This native language stuff is getting bloody ridiculous at this stage.
    You're not French. French isn't mandatory in Ireland for schooling, entry into some third level, entry into the public service. French doesn't get hundreds of millions of public funding per year to keep it alive in Ireland.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Shep_Dog wrote: »
    Name the newspapers and magazines?

Beo

Seachtain

Foinse

Ceol Linn

http://bfy.tw/477W

Beo

Seachtain

Foinse

Ceol Linn

http://bfy.tw/477W

Are these turning a profit or do they require funding from the state as well?

H. H. Asquith

Are these turning a profit or do they require funding from the state as well?

I don't actually sit on any of their boards, and I can't do all the work for you - if you're curious, why not go and find out for yourself?

Well, Foras is funded by Foras na Gaeilge so that's another wasted expense.

H. H. Asquith

Well, Foras is funded by Foras na Gaeilge so that's another wasted expense.

You are 100% entitled to your opinion on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

I really don't understand the issue you have with funding a minority language which also happens to be one of our national languages? The state funds, directly and indirectly, plenty of minority interests.

I don't get any benefit from the state sponsorship of Bord na gCon but that doesn't mean I go around calling those who do parasites?

I don't get any benefit from Irish language funding either but I appreciate the efforts to promote Irish by those who do.

Dughorm wrote: »
    I really don't understand the issue you have with funding a minority language which also happens to be one of our national languages? The state funds, directly and indirectly, plenty of minority interests.

I don't get any benefit from the state sponsorship of Bord na gCon but that doesn't mean I go around calling those who do parasites?

I don't get any benefit from Irish language funding either but I appreciate the good work of promoting Irish by those who do.

I have an issue with paying tax for it when there's no end of better uses for the revenue. I have an issue with it being forced down children's throats with the sole aim of enriching the Irish language lobby. Ireland has been a self-governing republic for nearly 85 years now, 95 if you include the W.T. Cosgrave years. The English aren't responsible for its demise, the Irish language lobby is.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Dughorm wrote: »

I don't get any benefit from Irish language funding either but I appreciate the efforts to promote Irish by those who do.

I get no benefit from Lyric FM, the GAA or the fact that art is taught in school - I'm still glad they exist though, because I'm able to see beyond my own needs when it comes to culture.

Advertisement