Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making A Murderer [Netflix - Documentary Series]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Is the evidence reliable though? The police make it look that way. Its highly suspicious.

The car and the key can be ignored as the most dodgy cop you could imagine seen the car and called in the reg and the key Was obvously planted there in plain sight by the second most dodgy cop and they didnt find it first time round. It wadnt hidden. Just out in the open with no dna from the owner of the key

The blood spots in the car could be from the sample the police have why else is there a needle hole in a sealed sample.

So the evidence is set up to point at Avery whether he is actually guilty.

Im not arguing whether Avery did it or not - I'm undecided myself.

Im just arguing the hypocrisy of those saying they think Avery is innocent and that Bobby Dassey and Scott Tadych did it when there's zero evidence they were even remotely involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Look - there's far more evidence that implicates Steven Avery than there is evidence to implicate Bobby and Scott.

Whether Steven Avery is genuinely guilty is obviously very much up for debate, but people thinking it's more likely Bobby and Scott did it together is ridiculous, especially as all we have to go on is a documentary and a very biased one at this.

To think Bobby and Scott did it just because the documentary hinted at is ridiculous when there is zero evidence to suggest they did.

There's less evidence to implicate Scott and Bobby than there is to implicate Steven Avery.

To be fair, Bobby and Scott lied about the timeline. Why do that under oath?

Tbey also had access to SA's property. Further, the evidence against SA is dodgy as anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

To be fair, Bobby and Scott lied about the timeline. Why do that under oath?

Tbey also had access to SA's property.

Ah sure they said two different times?

Case closed then, sure that's as good as video evidence of them pulling the trigger! Lock them up and throw away the key.

You strike me very as much as the type of person who reads a story, and immediately takes it as fact and are too busy spewing outrage and scandal to stop and think about it.

Im not arguing whether Avery did it or not - I'm undecided myself.

Im just arguing the hypocrisy of those saying they think Avery is innocent and that Bobby Dassey and Scott Tadych did it when there's zero evidence they were even remotely involved.
    Of course there is no evidence. Despite being at the last place she was seen they were never considered suspects. Avery was pegged with crime and the authorities ran with that.

There's enough there to make a very strong case against Avery. It's also not clear why Brendan confessed, the show did not show the full confessions or full phone conversations. The full transcript of the phone call to his mother after his attorney screwed him over had all manner of stuff about Avery molesting him and others that was edited out for the show.

There's a lot of what ifs for you after watching a pretty one sided show that never mentioned any of this stuff. Perhaps there was less for a jury who sat through days and days of evidence.

And it points to murder because it gives Avery prior interactions and a possible obsession with Halbach. Added to the other evidence it paints a pretty compelling story that Avery is the murderer.
    • Specifically asks for Halbach to photo his car.
    • Halbach allegedly is uncomfortable with Avery and reluctant to go to his home.
    • Avery uses a different name to make the appointment.
    • Avery purchases handcuffs and chains in the weeks prior to the visit.
    • Avery calls Halbach numerous times on the day of the disappearance but not from his own phone.
    • Halbach did visit Avery and was seen by numerous people in his yard.
    • There is no account by anybody that she was seen afterwards.
    • There is no activity on her phone after the time she was seen at Avery's.
    • Her car was found on the Avery site.
    • Avery's blood was found inside the car.
    • Her remains were found at a burn site at the back of his house.
    • Her phone and camera were found in a burn barrel at the back of his house.
    • The key to her car was found with his DNA inside his home.
    • A bullet matching Avery's rifle was found with Halbacks DNA in Avery's garage.
    • His nephew Brendan made multiple statements saying he murdered her.

There's no way in hell that's a weak argument lacking evidence. The only argument is whether the police interfered with stuff enough that he shouldn't have been convicted. Likewise Dassey said enough to suggest he was there when it happened, but given how it was handled by the police and the fact he was screwed over by his lawyer there's an argument it's not admissible in court.

I find it odd people are happy to point fingers at the boyfriend, the brother, Bobby Dassey or Scott Tayback? with absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest they did anything. Yet ignore or play down an absolute mountain of evidence pointing to Stephen Avery.

Many of those points are mere heresay. Tbe guy worked in a car junkyard, of course he bought feckin chains lol.

Who said she was anxious of Avery? Her boss?
    That is mere heresay now. That can't be proven and the boss could have an agenda, who knows?

Why is it odd her possessions were burned with her? Still doesn't mean one person murdered her over another.

Brendan was clearly coerced to confess and later retracted it.....

How does no activity on her phone after being at Steven's house mean he did it??? It just means she was harmed or killed shortly after and there was more than Avery on that property then, but the others lied about being there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I really enjoyed watching this to a point. I binged watched in a couple of sessions as it was so well made and such a captivating story.

However:
    The whole documentary was totally biased towards the Averys, something I was fine with for the most part. I told myself this is a case of wrong doing on a grand scale and so they are showing how it played out, they will be vindicated at the end of it. The fact that the two of them remained in prison at the end of it as a huge surprise to me and left a bit of a bad taste in the mouth about how the whole documentary was presented. The aspersions that they cast on the cops, more or less accusing them of being corrupt and planting evidence etc had me convinced that the cops would be found out and prosecuted by the end, must be the way thy are so blatantly putting it out there, but no, nothing happened and the two convictions were upheld.

Now I'm not debating the guilt or innocence of the two accused but rather the totally one sided presentation from the documentary makers, with very serious accusations and insinuations about various police officers, officials etc. This would all have been fine if this had ended up being proven but it wasn't. I was astonished by the ending, not because the the two are still in jail per say but because of the way the whole thing was presented. id be very surprised if some of those having the finger pointed at them aren't taking legal action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Many of those points are mere heresay. Tbe guy worked in a car junkyard, of course he bought feckin chains lol.

I'm not talking regular chains I'm talking about handcuffs and restraints. Apparently he claimed they were for use with his girlfriend. Which is all well and good until you have someone else (Dassey) describing a scene with Halbach handcuffed and restrained.
    Who said she was anxious of Avery? Her boss?
    That is mere heresay now. That can't be proven and the boss could have an agenda, who knows?

It's a statement from the district attorney who prosecuted the case that this was evidence shown in court that wasn't mentioned in the TV show. I like you have no idea of the specifics beyond it was statements that came from her co-workers.
    Why is it odd her possessions were burned with her? Still doesn't mean one person murdered her over another.

It's not odd it's simply a separete site on his property where her belongings were found.
    Brendan was clearly coerced to confess and later retracted it.....
    Its not clear at all and definitely not from the one sides view in the show. That first interview was 4 hours in length. The others similarly 3/4 hours long. The show showed very little of it. He may have been coerced to a degree but the full transcripts of the interviews and his phone calls has him clearly giving details that were never put into his mouth by detectives.
    How does no activity on her phone after being at Steven's house mean he did it??? It just means she was harmed or killed shortly after and there was more than Avery on that property then, but the others lied about being there.

It means there was no sight nor trace of her or her activities after she was seen outside Avery's house. Doesn't mean he did it but it's a pretty big factor when someone disappears and ends up dead. Again if you look at all the evidence it's a lot of stuff that points to Avery.

You're picking out a couple of things and ignoring a lot of other stuff too. I get why people think he shouldn't have been convicted but there'd have to be an incredible amount of organisation for it to be a set up and for him to be innocent. Does anyone you seen in the show strike you as a criminal mastermind ??

No I didn't see it all. Neither did you.
    What we got was an emotionally charged 10hr documentary that was wholly one sided and very carefully edited to suit the defence.

Yes, there are some suspicious points throughout but anyone that says they are 100% sure of innocence or guilt from watching a documentary should pretty much rule themselves out of Jury duty for life.

Oh give over, please. I saw enough corruption to last a lifetime in that documentary. Why would anyone believe those cops?

I'm not talking regular chains I'm talking about handcuffs and restraints. Apparently he claimed they were for use with his girlfriend. Which is all well and good until you have someone else (Dassey) describing a scene with Halbach handcuffed and restrained.

It's a statement from the district attorney who prosecuted the case that this was evidence shown in court that wasn't mentioned in the TV show. I like you have no idea of the specifics beyond it was statements that came from her co-workers.

It's not odd it's simply a separete site on his property where her belongings were found.

Its not clear at all and definitely not from the one sides view in the show. That first interview was 4 hours in length. The others similarly 3/4 hours long. The show showed very little of it. He may have been coerced to a degree but the full transcripts of the interviews and his phone calls has him clearly giving details that were never put into his mouth by detectives.

It means there was no sight nor trace of her or her activities after she was seen outside Avery's house. Doesn't mean he did it but it's a pretty big factor when someone disappears and ends up dead. Again if you look at all the evidence it's a lot of stuff that points to Avery.

You're picking out a couple of things and ignoring a lot of other stuff too. I get why people think he shouldn't have been convicted but there'd have to be an incredible amount of organisation for it to be a set up and for him to be innocent. Does anyone you seen in the show strike you as a criminal mastermind ??

I'm picking out bits because I am working lol. I'll get back to it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Another question that no one can answer :o

It started out with the press release that TH had her throat slit whilst being tied up... there was plenty of footage taken in the bedroom post crime scene and not a single finding of blood on the mattress.

The two special agents (Mark Weigart and Tom Fassbender) then told Brendan about her throat being slit... where did they originally get that information from? Am I missing something??

Another question that no one can answer :o

It started out with the press release that TH had her throat slit whilst being tied up... there was plenty of footage taken in the bedroom post crime scene and not a single finding of blood on the mattress.

The two special agents (Mark Weigart and Tom Fassbender) then told Brendan about her throat being slit... where did they originally get that information from? Am I missing something??

I think it originally came from Brendan in one of the first interrogations. A lot of what he actually said was never shown in the show.

The lack of dna evidence to back it up may mean it was bull**** though.

I'm picking out bits because I am working lol. I'll get back to it though.

Lol ok hun xxx

Thelo, that list you posted includes the blood in tbe car, blood but but not a single fingerprint of Avery's and his blood was easily accessible by the cops, and the key that suddenly appeared???? Weird.

Did you cut and paste that list from somewhere as those points above have been mentioned on this thread as being highly suspect re Avery's involvement in tbe murder?

I think it originally came from Brendan in one of the first interrogations. A lot of what he actually said was never shown in the show.

The lack of dna evidence to back it up may mean it was bull**** though.

Ah cheers!

Finding it near impossible to forget the whole situation, every day there's a new question :o

Lol ok hun xxx

No, I will. :) I am on my phone. Hence the typos. Sorry for the delay.

Thelo, that list you posted includes the blood in tbe car, blood but but not a single fingerprint of Avery's and his blood was easily accessible by the cops, and the key that suddenly appeared???? Weird.

Did you cut and paste that list from somewhere as those points above have been mentioned on this thread as being highly suspect re Avery's involvement in tbe murder?

It's a list of evidence presented to the jury. The blood was 100% Averys. The defence argued it could have been planted and the prosecution argued with the help of fbi testing it was not the blood from the sample in the files.

It's questionable as all the evidence is but there's more evidence to say it wasnt planted than it was. I don't like the prosecution any more than anyone else but they had the evidence on their side.

Don't go getting fired on my account. I'm in no hurry to see posts.

Actually, I addressed most of them. I want to read up more on the name he booked the appointment under. As for calling from different phones, credit reception? Maybe he suspected she wasn't calling him back?

I read she was late for her appointment and that explains one of the extra calls. I'll have to confirm that though.

He clearly didn't die the way Brendan said. I think most are agreed on that. :)

Did anyone else have access to Steven's trailer before the search where the key was found? I can't believe Teresa's dna was not on there and his was, unless someone wiped all hers and added his?

I find it odd that people are not looking closer at the others that were there at the time. That should have been a given.

Don't go getting fired on my account. I'm in no hurry to see posts.

Funny then that you reply so fast ;) xx

• Advertisement

Actually, I addressed all of them. I want to read up more on the name he booked the appointment under. As for calling from different phones, credit reception? Maybe he suspected she wasn't calling him back?

I read she was late for her appointment and that explains one of the extra calls. I'll have to confirm that though.

He clearly didn't die the way Brendan said. I think most are agreed on that. :)

Did anyone else have access to Steven's trailer before the search where the key was found? I can't believe Teresa's dna was not on there and his was, unless someone wiped all hers and added his?

I find it odd that people are not looking closer at the others that were there at the time. That should have been a given.

The point was we can speculate all we like but we didn't sit through all the evidence presented. We watched a one sided TV show. You can't say he's innocent because of that. You should be asking the questions before deciding he did it or not, not after. That's how he ended up on prison for 18 years the first time.

It's a list of evidence presented to the jury. The blood was 100% Averys. The defence argued it could have been planted and the prosecution argued with the help of fbi testing it was not the blood from the sample in the files.

It's questionable as all the evidence is but there's more evidence to say it wasnt planted than it was. I don't like the prosecution any more than anyone else but they had the evidence on their side.

Again, the blood evidence was tested with some technique that was hurriedly sorted out. Its legitimacy was put in doubt by the defence very well.

The point was we can speculate all we like but we didn't sit through all the evidence presented. We watched a one sided TV show. You can't say he's innocent because of that. You should be asking the questions before deciding he did it or not, not after. That's how he ended up on prison for 18 years the first time.

I saw enough to know he should not have been convicted on the evidence presented and others should have been questioned.

Again, the blood evidence was tested with some technique that was hurriedly sorted out. Its legitimacy was put in doubt by the defence very well.

The defence tried to put it in doubt. Again we don't even know the nature of the test. Perhaps to the jurors there wasn't much doubt.

I saw enough to know he should not have been convicted on the evidence presented and others should have been questioned.

You saw a TV show. You didn't see all the evidence presented. It looked dodgy to me too on the tv show. But that was the aim of the show. Not to show an unbiased look at a trial. To push the conspiracy angle. And it did that by selectively showing the evidence and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I really don't understand why he would have cleaned the garage so meticulously as to not leave any blood DNA yet fail to even wipe the blood from the inside of the car. Why clean the murder scene so carefully and then not clean the place where the body was put right after?

I don't buy the garage theory.

8-10 wrote: »
    I really don't understand why he would have cleaned the garage so meticulously as to not leave any blood DNA yet fail to even wipe the blood from the inside of the car. Why clean the murder scene so carefully and then not clean the place where the body was put right after?

One man during the show outlined that it would be near impossible for forensics to clean all DNA in the garage, let alone Steven! I find it hard to believe that the body was in the garage, at least no DNA evidence points towards it unless you want to go down the 'bullet' route which the woman who was to find DNA on it, f*cked the whole thing up... her excuse was ''I was teaching two students at the time''.

This particular woman received a phone call from fassbender during the investigation saying something on the lines of 'I want him to have killed her in the garage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

What was the significance of the blue ribbon that O'Kelly was crying about I must have missed it?

What was the significance of the blue ribbon that O'Kelly was crying about I must have missed it?

It's was a ribbon from the picture he had. I think it was of Teresa's church. He had a load of stuff on the table to try upset Brendan into giving him a confession.

The crying I took as fake to try make out how upset he was over how Teresa's death affected people. Maybe he's as crazy as his emails made him look and was genuinely crying about the fact the church put up the blue ribbons for Teresa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I personally don't think they had anything more than circumstantial evidence on their side. The blood could not be dismissed as being from the vial, so it's unclear if it's 100% from a fresh cut. In addition to that, they're was no trace of dna from either Avery or Dassey in the car bar the blood, no fingerprints. If that's the case then gloves must have been worn. And if he was wearing gloves, how did the blood get on the dash.

The prosecutions argument was that she was tied up, raped and had her throat slit in the trailer, but they never had an ounce of proof of that. They said she was shot in the garage. Again, bar the lone bullet, they didn't find a drop of blood or dna in the garage. seems odd.

These are all things that were laid out at trial, not the clever editing of the producers.

It was the job of the prosecution to prove the guilt of Avery, and for me they didn't achieve that. I'm not saying he was innocent, I really don't know if he is or not, but it wasn't the job of the defence to prove him innocent, merely not guilty. And there's a difference between the two.

Advertisement