Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making A Murderer [Netflix - Documentary Series]

Options
1717273747577»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Remember all the people who petitioned Obama to let this guy out of jail?

What a bunch of total losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wait has there been any update? Take it Brendan Dassey is still locked up given there's almost 0 evidence against him?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Scotty #

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What did they show that wasn't factual or truthful?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Scotty # wrote: »
    What did they show that wasn't factual or truthful?

It's not that the creators of Making a Murderer included nonfactual stuff it's that they left out or very briefly mention anything that didn't align with the entertaining story they were trying to tell. There is loads of articles online discussing this, here is one example

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Wait has there been any update? Take it Brendan Dassey is still locked up given there's almost 0 evidence against him?

Don't think so just some poster spamming this thread with a thread he made about Tiger King being bull in his opinion

• Advertisement

It's not that the creators of Making a Murderer included nonfactual stuff it's that they left out or very briefly mention anything that didn't align with the entertaining story they were trying to tell. There is loads of articles online discussing this, here is one example
    That's pretty far from "an absolute sham when it comes to facts or the truth" wouldn't you say? Screenrant.com is probably not the best source of info to back up your case!

I would have liked to see the whole court case, inc everything the jury saw. I don't know if SA and/or BD are innocent or guilty but I don't believe they received a fair trial.

Things like the RAV4 key being found in the mobile home after it had already been searched several times and by a cop who was not supposed to be there. SA's DNA all over the RAV4 but not a single finger print. The fact the lab bloods were contaminated by the technician (the only time she has ever tainted evidence!). The fact that the bones found were never conclusively determined to be TH's or even human for that matter. The fact that the sheriff, while giving evidence on the stand, stated that he still believed SA to be guilty of the original rape case despite DNA conclusively clearing him. The gimp assigned to defend Dassy, the press conference.... and so on and so on.

It all stinks from start to finish. So while the produces may have left out aspects of the case here and there, I don't think they left out anything hugely relevant.

Unfortunately for SA & BD they will be staying where they are. If it were ever found to be a miscarriage of justice or there was a police stitch up, it would bankrupt the state - and the state ain't for bankrupting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That's pretty far from "an absolute sham when it comes to facts or the truth" wouldn't you say? Screenrant.com is probably not the best source of info to back up your case!

I would have liked to see the whole court case, inc everything the jury saw. I don't know if SA and/or BD are innocent or guilty but I don't believe they received a fair trial.

Things like the RAV4 key being found in the mobile home after it had already been searched several times and by a cop who was not supposed to be there. SA's DNA all over the RAV4 but not a single finger print. The fact the lab bloods were contaminated by the technician (the only time she has ever tainted evidence!). The fact that the bones found were never conclusively determined to be TH's or even human for that matter. The fact that the sheriff, while giving evidence on the stand, stated that he still believed SA to be guilty of the original rape case despite DNA conclusively clearing him. The gimp assigned to defend Dassy, the press conference.... and so on and so on.

It all stinks from start to finish. So while the produces may have left out aspects of the case here and there, I don't think they left out anything hugely relevant.

Unfortunately for SA & BD they will be staying where they are. If it were ever found to be a miscarriage of justice or there was a police stitch up, it would bankrupt the state - and the state ain't for bankrupting.

I didn't say "an absolute sham when it comes to facts or the truth", that was another poster. I just meant these kind of shows are biased towards a narrative for entertainment purposes. I wouldn't be holding up screenrant to be a reliable source of information either, it was just one of the first results from a search like 'what making a murdered left out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

The fact the county owed Steven Avery a massive compensation claim for wrongful imprisonment the first time (in the tens of millions was it?) is telling in his later conviction I believe.

More than likely an absolutely odious character, but locking him up was probably seen as being in the counties interest, financially. Thats the main reason its stinks for me.

He'd been awarded around $30M. The county appealed and in the meantime he was accused of murder. The county offered him $600k to settle and needing capital fast to mount his defence, he accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

He'd been awarded around $30M. The county appealed and in the meantime he was accused of murder. The county offered him $600k to settle and needing capital fast to mount his defence, he accepted.

And how much would he be entitled to this time should it be shown he was detained wrongfully?

Point being, its in nobodies interest in that county thats its even entertained that he may not be guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Not really, there are plenty of documentaries on Netflix that are actually excellent and are certainly not "Shams".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Blanco100 wrote: »
    And how much would he be entitled to this time should it be shown he was detained wrongfully?

Point being, its in nobodies interest in that county thats its even entertained that he may not be guilty.

Id wondered about that before and how would it play out were he to be found not guilty in terms of costs to the county. Just looking Manitowoc County has a population of 80,000. Had he gotten the 30 million award paid out is it literally a matter of everyones property taxes being hiked way up for a few years to pay for it?

If so it seems a bizarre situation where an entire community is against any chance of him being found not guilty because it will hit them in the pockets directly. You could have people there who saw something that exonerates him but wont say it because it will cost them financially in the end.

Advertisement