Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making A Murderer [Netflix - Documentary Series]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

It's a very hard-hitting documentary and it really got to me at certain points. Especially when they showed the picture of Brendan, now 26, but noting that he would not be eligible for release for another 32 years.

At face value, it's unbearably cruel. However, it's unashamedly one side of the story. Im sure there's more that needs to be considered.

Ultimately, I would echo Avery's lawyer. I just really hope they are both guilty and all this sympathy is unwarranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

She was so genuine. I really felt for her. She has been to hell and back. Twice. Just like her son.

Poor woman has had a huge part of her life wasted between an incompetent police department, incompetent justice system and a piece of **** son.

Likewise Brendan Dasseys life is ****ed for the same reasons. Incompetent police, incompetent justice system and a piece of **** uncle.

And a lot of people seem to be glossing over the fact a poor girl was violently murdered. The police mangled the investigation but theres enough to know Avery more than likely killed her and ****ed up a lot of lives including his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

PressRun wrote: »
    They were great. I don't think they were actually a team that had worked together before either. I think they were two separate lawyers who were just drafted in to work on this case. Hard to believe. They did a great job of tag-teaming the case, as if they'd been working together for years.

So I believe! If I recall correctly, it was Steven's previously lawyer that got those two on the case. Fantastic work carried out by the two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Another thing that boggles the mind is the fact that the FBI (stand for correction there!) started back up the testing and provided 'results' for E.D.T.A all in a matter of weeks.

Why was there a needle mark on the blood vial? Why was the evidence box in a complete mess? Why was the Styrofoam box clearly opened?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Another thing that boggles the mind is the fact that the FBI (stand for correction there!) started back up the testing and provided 'results' for E.D.T.A all in a matter of weeks.

Why was there a needle mark on the blood vial? Why was the evidence box in a complete mess? Why was the Styrofoam box clearly opened?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!!

Total farce!

• Advertisement

It's a very hard-hitting documentary and it really got to me at certain points. Especially when they showed the picture of Brendan, now 26, but noting that he would not be eligible for release for another 32 years.

At face value, it's unbearably cruel. However, it's unashamedly one side of the story. Im sure there's more that needs to be considered.

Ultimately, I would echo Avery's lawyer. I just really hope they are both guilty and all this sympathy is unwarranted.
    I don't need to see the other side. How could you honestly trust anything they said anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭PressRun

And a lot of people seem to be glossing over the fact a poor girl was violently murdered. The police mangled the investigation but theres enough to know Avery more than likely killed her and ****ed up a lot of lives including his own.

I think a key point is reasonable doubt though. If I had been sitting on that jury, there is no way I would have felt comfortable returning a guilty verdict just because I felt like he probably did it. There would still be a niggling doubt in my mind that he didn't, and I'd want to know for sure before I returned a verdict that was going to send someone to prison for the rest of their life, and possibly prevent the real murderer from being brought to justice. To my mind, there is still a possibility that Teresa's murderer is still out there, happy knowing that they got away with it. That's probably the worst part. If both men are innocent, then that woman has not received justice.

There was far more than reasonable doubt. The lack of evidence alone showed that.

I don't need to see the other side.

Hope you don't end up on a jury some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I think a key point is reasonable doubt though. If I had been sitting on that jury, there is no way I would have felt comfortable returning a guilty verdict just because I felt like he probably did it. There would still be a niggling doubt in my mind that he didn't, and I'd want to know for sure before I returned a verdict that was going to send someone to prison for the rest of their life, and possibly prevent the real murderer from being brought to justice. To my mind, there is still a possibility that Teresa's murderer is still out there, happy knowing that they got away with it. That's probably the worst part. If both men are innocent, then that woman has not received justice.

The show doesn't present the full trial and all evidence that was presented though. It was deliberately one sided to sell the story. So none of us are in a position to say with any confidence the jury were wrong.

That wasn't my point anyway, as I said the police department and court seemed pretty incompetent. Given the conflict of interests I also wouldn't rule out evidence planting. But not an entire set up. Perhaps it was so messed up the jury couldn't return a guilty verdict but without witnessing the full trial it's hard to tell.

From what I seen as one sided as it was I'd be surprised if Avery wasn't the killer. So the poor family not only has a bunch of idiots locking up their son for 18 years but then they have to go through it all again because he was actually a psycho but being innocent the first time people bought into his lies this time. That's the cruellest part of it, how he exploits all that to string his family along and ruins lives all over the place.

Please don't ever sit on a Jury!!

Oh please,Did you see it all? Did you see them caught out in their lies?

I saw enough of their shoddy underhand tactics. I would usually want to hear both sides, but when the other side are clear liars, and in court, why would you bother? They stooped so low it is unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭datk

Just like Avery's lawyer said, I hope they are guilty, I can only imagine the torture of being locked up and nobody even willing to listen to you with all the appeals being rejected.

I do think Teresa Halbach's brother, ex and roommate were odd. Managing to guess the password for her phone records, I presume most companies limit the number of logons before locking the accounts. I've locked myself out of my own accounts and I set the password in the first place! But can't see how they'd be able to plant Avery's DNA etc and what a coincidence that they ended up on his land.

I think Brendan Dassey's step-father Scott Tadych and brother could be an option - something happened and in a bid to save their own skin they were best placed to make it look like Avery did it and they'd know the police would jump at the chance to get him. I think Brendan getting caught up was an accident.

I did end up googling all things Avery and Dassey after I finished watching the series and discovered that Avery's wife is now married to Peter Dassey - Brendan's dad!! When she wasn't mentioned after they divorced I presumed she'd move far away from the area to distance herself and her children from the situation.

Please don't ever sit on a Jury!!

Oh, I have. I heard both sides, you have to when you are there. Kind of how it works ;)

The show doesn't present the full trial and all evidence that was presented though. It was deliberately one sided to sell the story. So none of us are in a position to say with any confidence the jury were wrong.

That wasn't my point anyway, as I said the police department and court seemed pretty incompetent. Given the conflict of interests I also wouldn't rule out evidence planting. But not an entire set up. Perhaps it was so messed up the jury couldn't return a guilty verdict but without witnessing the full trial it's hard to tell.

From what I seen as one sided as it was I'd be surprised if Avery wasn't the killer. So the poor family not only has a bunch of idiots locking up their son for 18 years but then they have to go through it all again because he was actually a psycho but being innocent the first time people bought into his lies this time. That's the cruellest part of it, how he exploits all that to string his family along and ruins lives all over the place.

They did speak to the juror who did sit through the trial and had to leave because of an illness in the family during deliberations, and he said that he wasn't convinced of his guilt and that when he was there, there were seven others who weren't either. He even went on to say that the three who were convinced of his guilt refused to participate in deliberation. Now, I don't know what sort of agenda a former jury member would possibly have to push to say that they came out of the trial unconvinced.

If there's further evidence that was presented in the trial that the public should know about before they start calling for the heads of members of the police or prosecution, then let's hear it. I'd love for the prosecution team that worked on it to produce something compelling and clear-cut that closes it down once and for all. For all their claims that the documentary is untruthful, they haven't actually produced any evidence as of yet that proves beyond reasonable doubt that Avery did it. And that's the bottom line really.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Goose81 wrote: »
    I seem to be the only person that thinks they are both 100% guilty . like her truck disappeared on his land and she was burned on his land, who the hell else did it.
    I didn't think it was very good tbh, dragged on way too long. I had lost interest by episode 6/

There were others ' on the land' who could have done it, see attached doc

avery document page 23 +.pdf

datk wrote: »
    I think Brendan Dassey's step-father Scott Tadych and brother could be an option - something happened and in a bid to save their own skin they were best placed to make it look like Avery did it and they'd know the police would jump at the chance to get him. I think Brendan getting caught up was an accident.

Was Scott Tadych the one who gave conflicting statements about when he saw a bonfire on Avery's property? I couldn't figure him out at all or why he was getting in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Most heartbreaking thing was in the final episode:
    Steven's mother looking at places for him to live when he gets out. Poor woman.

They did speak to the juror who did sit through the trial and had to leave because of an illness in the family during deliberations, and he said that he wasn't convinced of his guilt and that when he was there, there were seven others who weren't either. He even went on to say that the three who were convinced of his guilt refused to participate in deliberation. Now, I don't know what sort of agenda a former jury member would possibly have to push to say that they came out of the trial unconvinced.

If there's further evidence that was presented in the trial that the public should know about before they start calling for the heads of members of the police or prosecution, then let's hear it. I'd love for the prosecution team that worked on it to produce something compelling and clear-cut that closes it down once and for all. For all their claims that the documentary is untruthful, they haven't actually produced any evidence as of yet that proves beyond reasonable doubt that Avery did it. And that's the bottom line really.

That's one jury member who wasn't there for the full deliberation though. He like the others may have changed their initial opinion like others did after going through the evidence. It did seem odd that they let him off for mutilating the corpse but convicted him of murder when a large part of the evidence was burnt remains. That doesn't make much sense to me.

But you can't really base an opinion on what one jury member says his initial opinion was before deliberations when all others found Avery guilty after discussing the evidence for days when you haven't seen the full trial and all evidence.

I'm not saying he's clearly guilty or that there's enough to suggest there's no doubt. But the documentary is entirely Avery's side of the trial and it deliberately presents the story to paint a picture of innocence and a cover up. It's neither a full nor entirely accurate representation of the investigation or the trial.

The other evidence they claim was shown changes the story dramatically. The requests from Avery for Teresa specifically to photo the car, the fact Teresa was uncomfortable with Avery due to his previous behaviour, the multiple phone calls on the day, the fact he used a different name when making the appointment, her phone and palm pilot being found in the burn barrel behind his house, the bullet with her DNA found in his garage matched that of his rifle, the handcuffs and stuff Avery bought in the weeks prior. Add that to the evidence we seen. The fact there was no activity from her phone after her visit to Avery which by all account definitely happened and was the last place she was seen alive by anyone, her car was found on his property with his blood inside, the defence argued it wasn't reliable but the FBI test could be seen by the court as perfectly valid, teeth and bones from Teresa found amongst the remnants of a fire in his back yard, the bullet etc.

The case can be made that the police planted the key, possible tampered with other evidence, that the blood in the jeep wasn't reliable and they were hell bent on Avery and didn't bother fully and properly investigating the case and all possible suspects. There may be a case made that there wasn't enough to say beyond a reasonable doubt. But tbh there's plenty there to convince a jury she was there, she was murdered and disposed of on the property and Stephen Avery was responsible. It's not clear that it was a travesty by any means and that an innocent man went down a second time. Considering after the fact even if the trial was such a farce he shouldn't have been found guilty the Brendan Dassey statements and phone calls to his mother which weren't all shown in the show but depict Dassey as clearly stating that they did kill Teresa. That to me gives enough evidence to show it was indeed Avery that killed her whether he should have been found guilty of it or not.

That's one jury member who wasn't there for the full deliberation though. He like the others may have changed their initial opinion like others did after going through the evidence. It did seem odd that they let him off for mutilating the corpse but convicted him of murder when a large part of the evidence was burnt remains. That doesn't make much sense to me.

But you can't really base an opinion on what one jury member says his initial opinion was before deliberations when all others found Avery guilty after discussing the evidence for days when you haven't seen the full trial and all evidence.

I'm not saying he's clearly guilty or that there's enough to suggest there's no doubt. But the documentary is entirely Avery's side of the trial and it deliberately presents the story to paint a picture of innocence and a cover up. It's neither a full nor entirely accurate representation of the investigation or the trial.

The other evidence they claim was shown changes the story dramatically. The requests from Avery for Teresa specifically to photo the car, the fact Teresa was uncomfortable with Avery due to his previous behaviour, the multiple phone calls on the day, the fact he used a different name when making the appointment, her phone and palm pilot being found in the burn barrel behind his house, the bullet with her DNA found in his garage matched that of his rifle, the handcuffs and stuff Avery bought in the weeks prior. Add that to the evidence we seen. The fact there was no activity from her phone after her visit to Avery which by all account definitely happened and was the last place she was seen alive by anyone, her car was found on his property with his blood inside, the defence argued it wasn't reliable but the FBI test could be seen by the court as perfectly valid, teeth and bones from Teresa found amongst the remnants of a fire in his back yard, the bullet etc.

The case can be made that the police planted the key, possible tampered with other evidence, that the blood in the jeep wasn't reliable and they were hell bent on Avery and didn't bother fully and properly investigating the case and all possible suspects. There may be a case made that there wasn't enough to say beyond a reasonable doubt. But tbh there's plenty there to convince a jury she was there, she was murdered and disposed of on the property and Stephen Avery was responsible. It's not clear that it was a travesty by any means and that an innocent man went down a second time. Considering after the fact even if the trial was such a farce he shouldn't have been found guilty the Brendan Dassey statements and phone calls to his mother which weren't all shown in the show but depict Dassey as clearly stating that they did kill Teresa. That to me gives enough evidence to show it was indeed Avery that killed her whether he should have been found guilty of it or not.
    It all seems very weak though. Who said she didn't like Avery? Her boss? How can that be evidence if it can never be proved she said it.

The boss may have disliked Avery, maybe jealous of the money be was going to get. A comment a dead woman supposedly made can't be legitinate evidence.

It is clear why Brendan 'confessed' and that was shown in the documentary very well.

Again, how do we know he said send Teresa? Maybe he found her non judgemental and that was important to him? Maybe he knew people looked down on him and she didn't.?

There are just too many what ifs and maybes for that to be actual concrete evidence of anything. To me, none of that points to murder. It means nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

PressRun wrote:
    Was Scott Tadych the one who gave conflicting statements about when he saw a bonfire on Avery's property? I couldn't figure him out at all or why he was getting in the middle of it.

Yea he was. He also said that SA got what he deserved, and it was the best day ever when he was convicted. He clearly had deep feelings of hate for SA.

In addition to this, Tadych and Bobby Dassey were seemingly able to corroborate each others alibis. In fact Bobby said that Tadych could say to the minute when they passed each other on the road coming from hunting.

Bobby also said that he saw TH taking photos of his mum's van around 2:30pm, and then approaching SA's trailer. This was then refuted by the impartial bus driver who said she saw her taking photos ar approximately 3:30, as this was the time she dropped the kids off there daily.

Bobbys Mum also claimed at some point that he took a shower before and after hunting.

None of this is incriminating obviously but I feel they certainly were overlooked as potential suspects due to the apparent tunnel vision displayed by the authorities (Akin to the 1985 case).

A lot of other suspicious characters involved, but something about those two didn't sit right with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Have to say this is a great watch.

Would make a great drama in itself its so off the wall.

Just going onto episode 5 now.

In fairness its never exactly slow but once you hit episode 3 and get settled it turns into a binge.
    If I hadn't an exam today id have got way further last night.

So tempted to google the people involved to their story since but just about staying strong until I finish it.

Im leaving at this point for fear of spoilers. See ye after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It all seems very weak though. Who said she didn't like Avery? Her boss? How can that be evidence if it can never be proved she said it.

The boss may have disliked Avery, maybe jealous of the money be was going to get. A comment a dead woman supposedly made can't be legitinate evidence.

It is clear why Brendan 'confessed' and that was shown in the documentary very well.

Again, how do we know he said send Teresa? Maybe he found her non judgemental and that was important to him? Maybe he knew people looked down on him and she didn't.?

There are just too many what ifs and maybes for that to be actual concrete evidence of anything. To me, none of that points to murder. It means nothing.

That one juror also claimed the initial count from the jury was 7 not guilty 2 guilty with the rest undecided.

What ever about Steven. What happened to Brendan is beyond evil and a joke. Actually what happened to Steven is evil too. Even he is guilty, there was clear grounds for a mistrial. Unfortunately, for her family that would have been awful but I think that would have been justice in this case. You can't convict with so much of the investigation and evidence being compromised.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    That one juror also claimed the initial count from the jury was 7 not guilty 2 guilty with the rest undecided.

What ever about Steven. What happened to Brendan is beyond evil and a joke. Actually what happened to Steven is evil too. Even he is guilty, there was clear grounds for a mistrial. Unfortunately, for her family that would have been awful but I think that would have been justice in this case. You can't convict with so much of the investigation and evidence being compromised.

I agree totally. Watching that O'Kelly creep with brendan was sickening. His tone was so mean and intimidating. All he wanted was the confession and the signature. And to think he was meant to be on Brendan's side!!!! Appalling.

The worst scene for me was Brendan's mother after the verdict. I cried at that. Her pain was so deep. Her son had totally been stitched up and she knew it. God, that was horrific.

Brendan seemed such a gentle soul to me. He was easily intimidated and that was totally exploited.

Those guys that put Brendan behind bars deserve all the hate they get. I still can't believe the blue ribbon bit. It was so bizarre and creepy. Terrible acting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chocolate girl

Just finished it last night so sad and unjust. I think these 2 had something to do with it.

Just finished it last night so sad and unjust. I think these 2 had something to do with it.

When you consider that Steven Avery was on the verge of a major payout and would be set for life, murdering a young woman on his property and leaving her car and remains there makes no sense. He knew that he would be caught if he did that and sent back to prison.

I think the cops know it was the other two but let Steven take the fall regardless (and planted the key/blood to make sure he did). He had disgraced them all by being freed. They had it in for him, without question.

I do think Brendan saw something, but I think he saw something with Bobby and was protecting his brother. I think that was another reason he reluctantly implicated Steven.

Look - there's far more evidence that implicates Steven Avery than there is evidence to implicate Bobby and Scott.

Whether Steven Avery is genuinely guilty is obviously very much up for debate, but people thinking it's more likely Bobby and Scott did it together is ridiculous, especially as all we have to go on is a documentary and a very biased one at this.

To think Bobby and Scott did it just because the documentary hinted at is ridiculous when there is zero evidence to suggest they did.

There's less evidence to implicate Scott and Bobby than there is to implicate Steven Avery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Look - there's far more evidence that implicates Steven Avery

Is the evidence reliable though? The police make it look that way. Its highly suspicious.

The car and the key can be ignored as the most dodgy cop you could imagine seen the car and called in the reg and the key Was obvously planted there in plain sight by the second most dodgy cop and they didnt find it first time round. It wadnt hidden. Just out in the open with no dna from the owner of the key

The blood spots in the car could be from the sample the police have why else is there a needle hole in a sealed sample.

So the evidence is set up to point at Avery whether he is actually guilty.

• Advertisement

There's enough there to make a very strong case against Avery. It's also not clear why Brendan confessed, the show did not show the full confessions or full phone conversations. The full transcript of the phone call to his mother after his attorney screwed him over had all manner of stuff about Avery molesting him and others that was edited out for the show.

There's a lot of what ifs for you after watching a pretty one sided show that never mentioned any of this stuff. Perhaps there was less for a jury who sat through days and days of evidence.

And it points to murder because it gives Avery prior interactions and a possible obsession with Halbach. Added to the other evidence it paints a pretty compelling story that Avery is the murderer.
    • Specifically asks for Halbach to photo his car.
    • Halbach allegedly is uncomfortable with Avery and reluctant to go to his home.
    • Avery uses a different name to make the appointment.
    • Avery purchases handcuffs and chains in the weeks prior to the visit.
    • Avery calls Halbach numerous times on the day of the disappearance but not from his own phone.
    • Halbach did visit Avery and was seen by numerous people in his yard.
    • There is no account by anybody that she was seen afterwards.
    • There is no activity on her phone after the time she was seen at Avery's.
    • Her car was found on the Avery site.
    • Avery's blood was found inside the car.
    • Her remains were found at a burn site at the back of his house.
    • Her phone and camera were found in a burn barrel at the back of his house.
    • The key to her car was found with his DNA inside his home.
    • A bullet matching Avery's rifle was found with Halbacks DNA in Avery's garage.
    • His nephew Brendan made multiple statements saying he murdered her.

There's no way in hell that's a weak argument lacking evidence. The only argument is whether the police interfered with stuff enough that he shouldn't have been convicted. Likewise Dassey said enough to suggest he was there when it happened, but given how it was handled by the police and the fact he was screwed over by his lawyer there's an argument it's not admissible in court.

I find it odd people are happy to point fingers at the boyfriend, the brother, Bobby Dassey or Scott Tayback? with absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest they did anything. Yet ignore or play down an absolute mountain of evidence pointing to Stephen Avery.

Advertisement