Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Tipp finished strong, subs made a big impact. Big learning game for Devane. Very poor for alot of it though. Haven't seen Cork but I'd imagine they'll be favourites. Is it on before crimbo?

The 23rd 730pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

The 23rd 730pm

Munster final the 23rd of December good lord!!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Ompala

Fair play to both teams going out playing in that gale, I'd say twas a lot worse than it looked on Tv.

Credit to Waterford, they played very well. We were very fortunate to get to extra time (brilliant goal by Hackett). Waterford looked spent (along with injuries) and we took the goal chances as they came - game over. Scoreline harsh on the Deise tbf. Connolly does look like a good prospect, Waterford careful to play the ball into space to bypass him.

Ref was very harsh on us throughout. Onwards to Cork - who definitely owe us one at this point in this age group!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Playing badly and winning is a good sign of a team - credit where credit is due. Waterford had their homework done. Tipp looked rusty, very understandable this time of year, the weather, and the length of notice given for the game, but came through a test of character. Many teams would have wilted. Might get a few players out of this bunch.

formerlyET wrote: »
    Playing badly and winning is a good sign of a team - credit where credit is due. Waterford had their homework done. Tipp looked rusty, very understandable this time of year, the weather, and the length of notice given for the game, but came through a test of character. Many teams would have wilted. Might get a few players out of this bunch.

Bowe had better games for us, but he is definitely one as is Andy Ormonde. Gearoid O'Connor a very good worker too on that 40.

• Advertisement

We'll have to bring more to the table for Cork the next day who look a very good team. We only played one half of hurling against Clare and none tonight until we got to extra time.

Bowe had better games for us, but he is definitely one as is Andy Ormonde. Gearoid O'Connor a very good worker too on that 40.

Connolly, for sure.

I had high hopes for Whelan who had a rough night. Let's hope it's a one off.

Bowe got a real taste of a man marker tonight - the guy stood in his face, on his toes, when the ball was out of play - that kind of close marking. But, fair play, Bowe, gritted, came through it and did his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Never got going really over the 60 minutes. Bowe is great on the ball running at defenders but saw little of him in full flow. The one really fluid movement we did make, started by Connolly, we got the crucial goal. Connolly looked like a man mountain out there i thought, kind of lad we need, but might just have all his growing done at this stage. Anytime i saw Conor Whelan as a minor, he was outstanding but full back line struggled as a unit. Some good forwards on them it has to be said, couldn't contain Kiely at all.

Connolly, for sure.

I had high hopes for Whelan who had a rough night. Let's hope it's a one off.

Bowe got a real taste of a man marker tonight - the guy stood in his face, on his toes, when the ball was out of play - that kind of close marking. But, fair play, Bowe, gritted, came through it and did his job.

Whelan hasn't gone well at all. Was shaky against Clare. Looked a great prospect at minor but has gone back. I cant blame the lad for going back to his old club, but he was probably training against a better calibre in Mullinahone

Connolly is a good reader of the game but i wouldn't fancy him to hold his own against a fast player. You'd need to have a Cathal Barrett at each side of him.

Whelan hasn't gone well at all. Was shaky against Clare. Looked a great prospect at minor but has gone back. I cant blame the lad for going back to his old club, but he was probably training against a better calibre in Mullinahone

Connolly is a good reader of the game but i wouldn't fancy him to hold his own against a fast player. You'd need to have a Cathal Barrett at each side of him.

Yeah, Whelan has regressed on evidence so far but it's a weird year - so, i'd reserve my judgement. I think I remember Tom Morrissey being whipped off most of his captaincy of under 21s.
    I'd see Connolly's future further up the pitch. A back tracking wing forward or defensive midfielder.

• Advertisement

Whelan a very good minor a few years back, has been a bit shaky the last two games though to be fair to him he seemed to get landed with both Clare and Waterfords best forwards each night.

Worth mentioning too Kiely had perfect ball dropped in front of him to gather in his stride and run at the defence. Conditions didn't help for the goal, lots of lads slipping tonight.

Also seems we finished with a stronger team than we started with. Can see Devaney starting the final. Kian O'Kelly seems like he would be better out at the half forward line. Devon Ryan amd Gearoid O Connor also did a lot of dirty, as did midfield. Plenty for Devane to learn from tonight, a good hard game like that will stand to them.

Ompala wrote: »
    Also seems we finished with a stronger team than we started with. Can see Devaney starting the final. Kian O'Kelly seems like he would be better out at the half forward line. Devon Ryan amd Gearoid O Connor also did a lot of dirty, as did midfield. Plenty for Devane to learn from tonight, a good hard game like that will stand to them.

I think so too. Can't understand why Devaney is not on the team - immediately puts a defence on the back foot with his speed.
    Devane was slow on the line and i don't agree with the 15 - i think it's a better crop than Devane and Co has got out of them so far.

I think at minor level - these teams - Tipp v Cork- Tipp hammered them in Munster - don't think it will be easy this time around.

Interestingly enough, Waterford beat Tipp by a point in the minor grade 2018

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I think so too. Can't understand why Devaney is not on the team - immediately puts a defence on the back foot with his speed.
    Devane was slow on the line and i don't agree with the 15 - i think it's a better crop than Devane and Co has got out of them so far.

I think at minor level - these teams - Tipp v Cork- Tipp hammered them in Munster - don't think it will be easy this time around.

Minor was u17 from 2018 so it's u20 in 2021. This group never played on the age at County

Minor was u17 from 2018 so it's u20 in 2021. This group never played on the age at County

Sorry, I know what I'm talking about. Plenty of those names were involved.

1. Dean Beecher (Tallow)

2. Rory Furlong (Roanmore)
    6. Cian Wadding (Roanmore)
    4. Jack Ó Floinn (An Rinn)

5. Sam Fitzgerald (Clashmore/Kinsalebeg)
    2. Gavin Fives (Cappoquin)
    8. Ryan Tierney (Ferrybank)

7. Michael Kiely (Abbeyside)
    14. Kevin Mahony (Ballygunner)

10. Ciaran Keating (Ardmore)
    17. Oisin O Ceallaigh (An Rinn)
    20. Tristan Loftus (Dungarvan)

13. Caolan MacCraith (An Rinn)
    11. Paddy Leevy (Ballygunner)
    15. James Power (Clonea)

Subs:

23. Sean Henley (Tallow) for Fitzgerald (H-T)
    9. Aidan Organ (Brickey Rangers) for Loftus (38)
    22. Christopher Kavanagh (Ballygunner) for Leavy (45)
    18. Gavin Corbett (Ballygunner) for Keating (48)
    19. David Byrne (Erins Own) for Mahony (48)

Tipperary
    1. Aaron Browne (Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams)

2. Conor O’Dwyer (Cashel King Cormacs)
    3. Conor Whelan (Mullinahone)
    4. Kevin Hayes (Moycarkey-Borris)

5. Johnny Ryan (Arravale Rovers)
    6. Fintan Purcell (Drom-Inch)
    7. Seán Phelan (Nenagh Éire Óg)

8. Max Hackett (Moycarkey-Borris)
    9. John Campion (Drom-Inch)

10. Seán Hayes (Kiladangan)
    11. Jack Morrissey (Moycarkey-Borris)
    12. Kian O’Kelly (Kilruane MacDonaghs)

13. Kevin Maher (Borris-Ileigh)
    14. Devon Ryan (Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams)
    15. James Devaney (Borris-Ileigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I

Never played each other at the minor grade these teams, was what I was referring to. Cork won the u17 all Ireland in 2017 for what it's worth.

:pac:
    Never played each other at the minor grade these teams, was what I was referring to. Cork won the u17 all Ireland in 2017 for what it's worth.

Tipperary: A Browne; J Ryan, C Whelan, E McBride; F Purcell, E Connolly, R McCormack; K Maher (0-01), K McCarthy (0-01); G O’Connor (0-01), C Bowe (1-03), D Ryan (2-10; 0-07f); A Ormond (1-01), K O’Kelly, S Ryan.

Subs used (after 60 minutes): K Ryan for R McCormack (28), S Hayes for S Ryan (42), J Devaney (0-01) for G O’Connor (46), M Hackett (1-00) for F Purcell (52), E O’Reilly for J Power (55).

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Munster final the 23rd of December good lord!!

They'll be home just in time for Santa🎅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I'd be curious to know did Hayes do much to be sent off? He seemed very aggrieved by it. The fella after initially looking at death's door, played on without issue after it, much like No 5 near the end of normal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭1373

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    I'd be curious to know did Hayes do much to be sent off? He seemed very aggrieved by it. The fella after initially looking at death's door, played on without issue after it, much like No 5 near the end of normal time.

Even the ref was getting wary of it all . Told the medics to carry off one of the dying instead of using their miracle cures on him

• Advertisement

I was at that minor game in 2018. Tipp were winning for most of it and ended up losing by conceding some very late goals - it particular one high ball misjudged by a defender. Funny to compare to last nights late drama.

Ompala wrote: »
    I was at that minor game in 2018. Tipp were winning for most of it and ended up losing by conceding some very late goals - it particular one high ball misjudged by a defender. Funny to compare to last nights late drama.

Was that in the Gaelic Grounds?

Tipperary's Munster Minor Hurling final against Limerick will be played at the LIT Gaelic Grounds next Sunday 20th December at 1.00pm after Limerick won the toss for venue. The game will be streamed live on the Munster GAA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭newbie11

Was that in the Gaelic Grounds?
    Yes the same day the seniors drew with Waterford in the round robin

newbie11 wrote: »
    Yes the same day the seniors drew with Waterford in the round robin

I was there that day alright. My memories are from the senior game though.

Any sign of the Knockavilla situation coming to a peaceful conclusion?

Tipperary Co. Board report a surplus of €20,178.
    Income & expenditure fallen by over €3.5 million over the past year.
    Just under €60,000 generated from online streaming of club games.

Tipperary’s spend on their county teams fell by €1m in 2020
    Tipperary’s team expenses total in 2019 — €1.77m — was greater than any other county, but that figure shrunk to €778k this year, a €1m decrease.
    The county board accounts for 2020 show that overall income was down €3.17m on last year, but a €3.56m cut in year-on-year expenditure meant last year’s €371k deficit was turned into a €20k surplus for 2020.

Two changes on the Minor team for Sunday

Tipperary
    1. Jason O’Dwyer – Clonoulty-Rossmore

2. Danny Slattery – Clonoulty-Rossmore
    3. Robert Doyle – Clonoulty-Rossmore
    4. Philly Hayes – Durlas Óg

5. Cathal Quinn – Cashel King Cormacs
    6. Michael Corcoran (Captain) – Silvermines
    7. Luke Shanahan – Upperchurch-Drombane

8. Darragh Stakelum – Thurles Sarsfields
    9. Peter McGarry – St. Mary’s

10. Conor McKelvey – Silvermines
    11. Ciaran McCormack – Loughmore-Castleiney
    12. Jack Leamy – Golden-Kilfeacle

13. Sean Kenneally – Moneygall
    14. Tony Cahill – Drom-Inch
    15. David Fogarty – Holycross-Ballycahill

Subs

16. Dylan O’ Grady – Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams
    17. Joe Caesar – Holycross-Ballycahill
    18. Stephen Ferncombe – Clonoulty-Rossmore
    19. Maidhc Fitzpatrick – Drom-Inch
    20. Kenny Lee – Roscrea
    21. Darragh Minogue – Durlas Óg
    22. Darragh Ryan – Kiladangan
    23. Eddie Ryan – Borris-Ileigh
    24. Pat Ryan – Upperchurch-Drombane

The Allianz Hurling League top flight will be run as before, only the top team in 1A and 1B will face off in the final.
    Both the Liam MacCarthy and Sam Maguire Cups will be played on a qualifier basis, although the Tailteann Cup will be in place for those Division 3 and 4 teams at the end of the 2021 league who do not make their provincial finals.

However, the Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) have proposed Cavan and Tipperary as defending provincial champions be a part of the Sam Maguire Cup irrespective of what division they are in. It has also been recommended by the CCCC that New York not be part of the Connacht SFC but may play in the Tailteann Cup.

With Antrim playing in the Liam MacCarthy Cup next season and being part of the Leinster SHC, a preliminary round will take place in the province with the winners proceeding to the quarter-finals and losers to the McDonagh Cup.

The All-Ireland hurling final has been set for July 10/11 with the football decider the following weekend.

The 2021 U20 football championship will run from the end of March to the start of May with the hurling competition taking place from May 22 to July 10. Both minor championships are set to take place from March 22 to May 22/23.

The exclusive club window starts from July 25 with county championships expected to conclude by October 24 with provincial club championships running from October 16 to November 28 and the All-Ireland semi-finals in December followed by the finals in January.

• Advertisement

Savage minor munster final - two fine teams

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement