Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Yes but there are issues, it is an aging team, it does lack real pace. New blood is badly needed imo. Worst thing we can do now is bury the head in the sand and think everything is rosey.

The Tipperary management team? I'd say they're more qualified than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

After every all Ireland we hear talk of that side going on to ‘dominate hurling’. Us in ‘10, Clare in ‘13... Galway were put in a pedestal too and limerick 2 years ago.
    However, limerick are on some run in both league and championship for a fair while bar the loss to kk last year.
    They’ve walloped us a few weeks ago and in last years Munster final. I honestly don’t think we’d have beaten them in last years all Ireland final either.
    They lack a real class finisher in their full fwd line like what most of the other counties have. However they’ve found a way to play which suits their players. Their wing h/f are seriously influential and chalking up some scores.

While nobody wants to pan any of our lads who’ve delivered so much, fr time waits for nobody. Most of our main players for the last decade have declined this year.
    I’m not saying cull seanie, paudie etc... but I can’t see them soldiering on for much longer and nobody can expect new arrivals to replace that quality immediately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

formerlyET wrote: »
    The Tipperary management team? I'd say they're more qualified than most.

You'd imagine so but we all knew when the team was announced before the Limerick game that we were going to be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭1373

You'd imagine so but we all knew when the team was announced before the Limerick game that we were going to be in trouble.

Even with hindsight, could we have sent out a better 15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Reading Babs Keating todayand he sees no team beating Limerick in 2021. It all depends on Limerick for me. If they keep their feet on the ground and don't lose the run of themselves (which i don't think they will) and keep up their insatiable appetite for success i think they'll do back to back next year.

They've had Tipps number when it really matters over the last couple of years and i feel Tipp might be weaker over the next few years than others think. The likes of Paudie, Seamie are once in a generation players and don't have long left and no matter how good the replacements are they wont be as good as them (for a few years anyway).

Limerick's age profile is perfect. Most the players are early to mid twenties, have loads of experience of success and the confidence most be through the roof. They seem to have all the pieces of the jigsaw and barring a couple of injuries or being caught in a big once off knockout game i would be surprised if they don't add another All Ireland over the next couple of years.

• Advertisement

Reading Babs Keating todayand he sees no team beating Limerick in 2021. It all depends on Limerick for me. If they keep their feet on the ground and don't lose the run of themselves (which i don't think they will) and keep up their insatiable appetite for success i think they'll do back to back next year.

They've had Tipps number when it really matters over the last couple of years and i feel Tipp might be weaker over the next few years than others think. The likes of Paudie, Seamie are once in a generation players and don't have long left and no matter how good the replacements are they wont be as good as them (for a few years anyway).

Limerick's age profile is perfect. Most the players are early to mid twenties, have loads of experience of success and the confidence most be through the roof. They seem to have all the pieces of the jigsaw and barring a couple of injuries or being caught in a big once off knockout game i would be surprised if they don't add another All Ireland over the next couple of years.

As Babs himself once said, your six inches between a pat on the back and a kick up the arse. Limerick are formidable no doubt about it, but I wont accept for one second that they are unbeatable. They'll be further buoyed next year no doubt but there will be a target on their back in 2021 and I see no reason why ourselves, Waterford, Galway, even Kilkenny cant take a scalp off them especially in that round robin scenario. Clare and Cork will be derbies for them and neither fear playing Limerick. A very average Cork team beat them by 6 points in 2019. They are not a patch on that Kilkenny team that dominated for years and our very selves went stride for stride with them in many games. We still have a good blend of youth and experience to draw upon, but will need to blood more players next year which im sure we will.

Limerick met a prospective, yet very raw team in the final who will make a significant improvement over the winter and might even get the likes of Shane Bennett, Pauric Mahony, and Tom Devine back.

We've seen it for years and years. We ourselves were blitzing teams in 10 and 11, but we had vulnerabilities which were exposed. Same with Galway, same with Clare. Im not convinced that Limerick should have been on for 3-in-a-row this year either. They met Kilkenny last year and were deservedly beaten on the day in spite of the line ball argument at the end. Extra time would have been more than they deserved. It was certainly the kick up the arse that probably spurred them on for 2020. Galway were a physical powerhouse of a team in 17 and many didnt give Limerick a hope of beating them in 18, especially after getting thumped down in Ennis.

They are favourites and rightly so, but putting my head on the block i think they will be counteracted sooner rather than later.

The Tipperary team to play Waterford in the Bórd Gais Energy Munster U20 Hurling Championship semi-final in Fraher Field, tomorrow night, Tuesday December 15th at 7pm shows one change from their last outing with Seán Ryan introduced at left corner forward.

The team lines out as follows;

1. Aaron Browne – Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams
    2. Johnny Ryan – Arravale Rovers
    3. Conor Whelan – Carrick Davins
    4. Éanna McBride – JK Brackens
    5. Fintan Purcell – Drom-Inch
    6. Eoghan Connolly (Capt.) – Cashel King Cormacs
    7. Ray McCormack – Borris-Ileigh
    8. Kevin Maher – Borris-Ileigh
    9. Kevin McCarthy – Toomevara
    10. Gearóid O’Connor – Moyne-Templetuohy
    11. Conor Bowe – Moyne-Templetuohy
    12. Devon Ryan – Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams
    13. Andrew Ormond – JK Brackens
    14. Kian O’Kelly – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    15. Seán Ryan – Templederry Kenyons
    Subs:
    16. Rhys Shelly – Moycarkey-Borris
    17. Darragh Flannery – Kiladangan
    18. Conor O’Dwyer – Cashel King Cormacs
    19. Keith Ryan – Upperchurch-Drombane
    20. Kieran Moloney – Thurles Sarsfields
    21. Max Hackett – Moycarkey-Borris
    22. Stephen Kirwan – Burgess
    23. Seán Hayes – Kiladangan
    24. James Devaney – Borris-Ileigh

Note this game is live on tg4 YouTube

https://youtu.be/B_5e-LyfmC4

1373 wrote: »
    Even with hindsight, could we have sent out a better 15

Yes.

4mins in and the switch of Connolly to full back would seem obvious...

• Advertisement

In big bother here at the water break, been very poor so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Happy enough to be only 2 points down, forwards were living off scraps there. Expect them to lift performance second half.

Lucky to be only 2 down, wind advantage in the second half so a chance to get back into it.

Standard of hand passing and stick passing is poor with this group - i know it's winter but it's lot worse than Waterford's.

At least Connolly is the pick of both teams.

Standard of hand passing and stick passing is poor with this group - i know it's winter but it's lot worse than Waterford's.

At least Connolly is the pick of both teams.

Not sure on connelly has been very poor defensively.

Keily is head and shoulders over everyone.

Not sure on connelly has been very poor defensively.

Keily is head and shoulders over everyone.

In your opinion.

Connolly is a rolls royce among ladas here. Moves completely differently to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Had been thinking we might need someone step up and do a Jake here! Prayer was answered. Bit more composure and Bowe might have won it. Connolly definitely my tipp stand out.

In your opinion.

Connolly is a rolls royce among ladas here. Moves completely differently to everyone else.

He may move like a rolls Royce but he's been found wanting a number of times defensively. 3 and 6 been very poor, Devane slow to make any changes.

Tipp blessed to get extra time, need to up it big time.

Surprises me that JD doesn't get a start

Max Hackett's pace has always impressed me. If he could develop his reading of the game he could really develop to a high standard

• Advertisement

Referee has been brutal.

Goalkeeper goes early with the christmas presents

Can't see this Tipp team, on this performance, troubling Limerick - English would go to town on that fullback line - but we have a few players in there that could make impression at senior level.
    That said, many a Tipp team has gone to this park and lost - so credit for digging in and not dying and making a game of it.

Game set and match. Waterford deserve that after trying to time waste for the whole second half.

Game set and match. Waterford deserve that after trying to time waste for the whole second half.

The time-wasting was septic - but all it did was signal to Tipp that Waterford didn't want to win it, they wanted not to lose it. They never took the game on and finished the game off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Can't see this Tipp team, on this performance, troubling Limerick - English would go to town on that fullback line - but we have a few players in there that could make impression at senior level.
    That said, many a Tipp team has gone to this park and lost - so credit for digging in and not dying and making a game of it.

Cork bet Limerick.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Cork bet Limerick.

Getting mixed with the minor!!! Good call!!! And I watched it and all! The extra time and every thing! Been a long week. My apologies. Cork have to be faves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Max Hackett's pace has always impressed me. If he could develop his reading of the game he could really develop to a high standard

Stunned that he wasn't rugby tackled to the ground.

Tipp finished strong, subs made a big impact. Big learning game for Devane. Very poor for alot of it though. Haven't seen Cork but I'd imagine they'll be favourites. Is it on before crimbo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Referee has been brutal.

I feel sorry for any ref trying to ref that. Awful shenanigan's all over the field.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement