Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

formerlyET wrote: »
    Tipp hurlers back at it today, like most counties, Andrew Ormonde and Connolly added to the panel.

Surprised conor Bowe wasn't included, seems to be gone in with the footballers instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Surprised conor Bowe wasn't included, seems to be gone in with the footballers instead.

More hope of silverware I suppose 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

I think there are things Conor needs to work on. It's a hard panel to make. Ormonde has shown a bit more about him in terms of getting in the right places and reading ball and just being more consistent. Bowe has physical attributes that Ormonde doesn't - long term, Bowe could potentially make a bigger impact at senior level, but after the Munster final I'm not surprised it's Ormonde over Bowe.

And yet the word is now, Ormonde has not been called up yet. YET.

From the Westside column:

Finally, and by way of update, there’s some news on the proposed transfer of players from Kickhams to Cashel K.C. It will be remembered that the King Cormac’s voted before Christmas in favour of processing the transfer applications. These then went to the County Board as part of the normal procedure.

Club eligibility and the parish rule in the GAA usually refer to one’s native parish or one’s place of residence as qualifying criteria. It had been assumed, therefore, that these transfer requests would be based on residence in Cashel since the players involved have close family ties in the town.

However, it now emerges that the players have used their home addresses in Knockavilla on the transfer forms. This has certainly raised a few eyebrows. How can players native to and resident in one parish transfer, under GAA rules, to another? In normal circumstances they can’t. Indeed, the conditions surrounding residency have been tightened in recent years and this may well have come into play here.

However, it appears there is a little-used avenue of appeal called force majeure. It’s a French term literally meaning major force, which is a legal concept that allows normal rules and guidelines to be set aside in ‘exceptional circumstances’. How you define ‘exceptional circumstances’ then becomes the issue.

The next step in the process will be for the transfer forms to go to Kickhams for consideration. If the club signs the forms and effectively gives its blessing then obviously that helps the players’ transfer requests, though without guaranteeing anything. If the club doesn’t approve, however, and wants the players to remain on their books then the situation becomes even more problematic.

Either way the forms then go to the County CCC and here’s where Jimmy Minogue, the newly appointed chairman, gets his baptism of fire with a right tricky issue to adjudicate. I suspect this case has a long distance to run yet.

I mention all this simply by way of an update on a case of major GAA interest since it involves county players. As one who knows and respects a lot of the people on both sides of the divide, I remain impartial and simply saddened that this has ever happened.

• Advertisement

Alan Tynan and Conor Whelan gone in with the footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Tally Wager

Alan Tynan and Conor Whelan gone in with the footballers.

Conor Bowe , Moyne Templetouhy !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Declan Browne joining footballers as forwards coach.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Illium

RIP Theo English. Never saw him play. But I know so many of my older neighbours held him in such high esteem.

1610277329281_1610277464.jpg--.jpg?1610277464000

• Advertisement

Anybody else hearing rumours that Alan Tynan (let go from Munster Academy) has decided to go with the Tipp senior hurling squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Alan Tynan has joined up with the footballers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Akesh wrote: »
    Alan Tynan has joined up with the footballers

It's a long time since he played a game of football.

Rasputin11 wrote: »

Sure, isn't everything GAA being rugbified. I know he hurled with Roscrea last championship - did he play any football?

Sure, isn't everything GAA being rugbified. I know he hurled with Roscrea last championship - did he play any football?

Can't recall a North Junior being played, I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭quintana2

Apparently going in with the hurlers now.

quintana2 wrote: »

That's what I heard.

quintana2 wrote: »

David Power confirmed yesterday he joined up with the footballers. It would have been very odd to see him play 3-4 games for Roscrea and then leapfrog lads onto the hurling panel. He was a good athlete at minor grade but I suspect 5 years out of hurling at this point has taken its toll.

Although not sure when the last time he kicked a ball with Inane was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

What does that mean "everything being rugbified"?

Akesh wrote: »
    David Power confirmed yesterday he joined up with the footballers. It would have been very odd to see him play 3-4 games for Roscrea and then leapfrog lads onto the hurling panel. He was a good athlete at minor grade but I suspect 5 years out of hurling at this point has taken its toll.

Although not sure when the last time he kicked a ball with Inane was.

A journalist just confirmed that Tynan will be with the hurlers.

Scored 2-2 i think for Roscrea in one game after a few games under his belt - I didn't see him play so I can't comment on his recent abilities - But Tynan lived the life of a professional athlete the last few years - i'd say that's why Sheedy wants a look. Nothing guaranteed by being on a panel early in the year though.

• Advertisement

8 players drafted into the senior football training panel.

Scored 2-2 i think for Roscrea in one game after a few games under his belt - I didn't see him play so I can't comment - But Tynan lived the life of a professional athlete the last few years - i'd say that's why Sheedy wants a look. Nothing guaranteed by being on a panel early in the year though.

Who confirmed it?

Who confirmed it?

Shane Brophy

Scored 2-2 i think for Roscrea in one game after a few games under his belt - I didn't see him play so I can't comment on his recent abilities - But Tynan lived the life of a professional athlete the last few years - i'd say that's why Sheedy wants a look. Nothing guaranteed by being on a panel early in the year though.

Yeah, saw that. Very odd that Power confirmed it the night before.

Seems to have been a late enough call to Tynan as I was told by a few in Roscrea that he was to join the footballers for 2021 but will be concentrating on making the hurling panel next year.

Either way best of luck to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

"That Tynan has been included in the senior hurling training panel over a player like Conor Bowe, who has accepted an invite into the senior football squad, suggests the hurling management are looking for ready-made strength in the shape of Tynan rather than the potential of Bowe."

Can see where shane brophy is coming from with that paragraph anyway. I would certainly love to see Alan Tynan blossom in a tipp jersey but i'd hate to see us, or hurling for that matter, going down the road of seeking out fellas just for pure brawn alone. My memories of alan underage was of having lots of ability so as long as he retains that, that's what matters for me.

"That Tynan has been included in the senior hurling training panel over a player like Conor Bowe, who has accepted an invite into the senior football squad, suggests the hurling management are looking for ready-made strength in the shape of Tynan rather than the potential of Bowe."

Can see where shane brophy is coming from with that paragraph anyway. I would certainly love to see Alan Tynan blossom in a tipp jersey but i'd hate to see us, or hurling for that matter, going down the road of seeking out fellas just for pure brawn alone. My memories of alan underage was of having lots of ability so as long as he retains that, that's what matters for me.

Easy to reach for the brawn card when there's a rugby connection. Tynan was a full back - not the most physical position on the field - yes, you've got to be able to look after yourself - but it's more about skill set, reading the game, decision making, and leadership. He wasn't a member of the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

A bit simplistic to be talking about brawn so much because the guy played rugby no?
    Easy to reach for the brawn card when there's a rugby connection. Tynan was a full back - not the most physical position on the field - yes, you've got to be able to look after yourself - but it's more about skill set, reading the game, decision making, and leadership. He wasn't a member of the pack.
    Tynan was an outside back, played few positions from out half to full back and played wing, centre on occasion as well. Would agree that its an easy thing to do but also is completely false to try connect that Tynan played rugby therefore he will be all about brawn etc when playing as a hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yeah, i agree with that. Tynan would have got his chance 3/4 years ago with the hurlers if he hadn't gone the alternative route, so no reason he shouldn't get the chance to make a mark now. I think there is a talking point in what brophy says, but not really specific to alan tynan, more of a general argument for another time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,512 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FYI a Feedback Thread has been opened.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149601

Please read the Opening Post before posting.

Any opinions or thoughts in general are welcome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement