Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Beyond

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

AMKC wrote: »
    How he is dead unless they do some sort off flashback or its a prequel maybe but surely unlikely. Could use time travel maybe

Flashback, something akin to a holodeck, or some sort of mind invasion where Jim sees him in his mind or alternative possible time line.

If it's time travel I would be disappointed.

Resetting the timeline?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Resetting the timeline?????

Cheap way about getting around the film they did not like as much. I hope they don't.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Cheap way about getting around the film they did not like as much. I hope they don't.

damned if they do...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think it'd be a nice way to round off the JJ-verse films. It'd give them a certain mystique, before preventing them from ever happening (Romulus didn't get destroyed, Spock didn't get stranded there etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

I can't see them announcing him being in it if it's just a flashback or holodeck. It says they will meet so i reckon it will be a time-travel or some such plot.

Not sure why they can't leave it to be honest. I love trek but there was some awful stuff in the last 50 years, I wouldn't disregard it because it was a bad turn or just to make it nice and neat.

I think it might make it worse but as cork_exile said, damned if they do, damned if they don't. I'd prefer if they didn't, or have a version of back to the future with both time lines surviving. JJ has one and TV has the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭squonk

If they know the 4th will be the last film then it'd be nice to reset. I think it'd draw a nice line under the whole thing and would allow them to say "This is how JJ did ST". I think it'd add a much deeper context to the whole series and allow them to be seen as an alternative view of Star Trek which might sit better overall in time rather than "Hey, we're stealing Star Trek and we don't care what we'll do with it".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Grand review from Donald Clarke. A sci-fi getting 3 stars from him is fairly respectable.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/star-trek-beyond-review-boldly-going-through-the-motions-1.2727795

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Grand review from Donald Clarke. A sci-fi getting 3 stars from him is fairly respectable.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/star-trek-beyond-review-boldly-going-through-the-motions-1.2727795

i lol'd at this part
    Following an excellent prologue that finds Capt Kirk (Chris Pine) on a diplomatic mission to a cadre of aggressive toothy things, the team is dispatched to rescue a ship stranded within the 13th screen of an Asteroids game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just reading the plot on wiki
    so its basically a similar in space scenario to the ep where bvyager was attacked by the swarm.. disrupt the mesh!

I watched Into Darkness last night. It was the second time I'd seen it, only other time was when it came out. I enjoyed it, sure, it's almost Star Wars rather than Star Trek at times, but yeah, I enjoyed it. And yes, I said those words :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

I honestly love Into darkness, was much darker than some of the other movies. Have to say I enjoy the new movies and think Chris Pine is an excellent Kirk

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Chris Pine is an excellent Kirk

For all their faults, the new Trek movies got one thing absolutely spot on - the casting. Pine, Quinto, and Urban absolutely nail the roles. The rest of the cast too are excellent, Pegg aside - I like Pegg, just not as Scotty...he doesn't play to the character if you ask me. The rest are truly excellent though.

The only other comparable Kirk is Mignoga from Continues. He plays classical Kirk though, from TOS. Pine plays movie Kirk, and both work so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Have to agree with jacksie66, I saw it Wednesday and was delighted with it. It has a few small issues, but overall I think that they got the right balance of humour and action, with some nice small nods to fans of the old series.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Just back from this. Have to say it's one of the best Trek films I've seen (and I mean Trek, not space action ala the first Abram's film).

The movie begins with the Enterprise, wait for it, exploring and Kirk, wait for it, on a diplomatic mission. Won't say anymore about the plot than that.

Much better than Into Darkness, much better than Insurrection, Nemesis etc. etc. Felt like watching Star Trek again and contained a good few subtle nods to old canon that I appreciated.

Like others I absolutely hated Into Darkness so didn't bother with any trailers or hype and went into this completely cold. Glad I did.

Also, Simon Pegg is definitely a Mass Effect fan. This seemed like Mass Effect 2: The Movie. Citadel, Collectors, Geth anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,643 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just back from seeing Star Trek:Beyond. Its so much better than Into Darkness which we all know was a terrible film "Beyond" is at least 10 thosand Lights years better than it. Loved it. Its funny, has lots of action but it also has a good story a nice twist and character development. We also get to see some cool news ships, new characters and aliens too and the acting is very good. Already I can,t wait for film 14 or 4 in this new series of films which has already been given the green light. The film is 2hours but you barely notice it I never looked at the time at all when watching the film. I also thought the way they acknowledges Leonard Nimoys passing aka Ambassador Spocks death and Anton Yelchin was tastefully and nicely done too. I have to admit I was sad at times watching the film and at the end of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

i lol'd at this part

Following an excellent prologue that finds Capt Kirk (Chris Pine) on a diplomatic mission to a cadre of aggressive toothy things, the team is dispatched to rescue a ship stranded within the 13th screen of an Asteroids game.

What exactly does he mean by the 13th screen of an Asteroids game? I seen no game.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

It's Star Trek
    It's actually Star Trek

That'll do Pegg, that'll do

Just back from this. Have to say it's one of the best Trek films I've seen (and I mean Trek, not space action ala the first Abram's film).

The movie begins with the Enterprise, wait for it, exploring and Kirk, wait for it, on a diplomatic mission. Won't say anymore about the plot than that.

Much better than Into Darkness, much better than Insurrection, Nemesis etc. etc. Felt like watching Star Trek again and contained a good few subtle nods to old canon that I appreciated.

Like others I absolutely hated Into Darkness so didn't bother with any trailers or hype and went into this completely cold. Glad I did.

Also, Simon Pegg is definitely a Mass Effect fan. This seemed like Mass Effect 2: The Movie. Citadel, Collectors, Geth anyone?

Barring a few silly points I really don't think that Insurrection deserves the level of hate which it gets.

Sure it is more a 2 parter episode but it is still better Trek than Nemesis, Space Voyage 1 and Space Voyage 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Wow, can't believe I'm going to say this but Star Trek Beyond is really good. Bar some awfully stupid things and some daft nit-picky things it is one of the most enjoyable Star Trek films, and the first in the Kelvin Timeline to be deserving of the name Star Trek.

They still need to tone down the stupid stuff however.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

My thoughts,

Enjoyed it. First off the destruction of the Enterprise. I felt it dragged on a bit but if you're gonna destroy an icon do it viciously! Thought i would find Jaylahs character annoying but i thought she was great and hope she turns up as an ensign or cadet in the next one.

Lots of references. I think i spied a Benzite in the first 15 mins or so. Xindi & Romulan Wars, does this mean Capt. Edison was possibly a MACO on Enterprise's mission through the Expanse? Commodore Paris. Adm. Paris's mother maybe? Speculation on the Franklin being grabbed by 'a big green space hand'. There were loads but i can't remember.

It felt so different from the previous two. The camera work was a bit dizzying and dark at times but i enjoyed the low lighting. If the saucer section had just crash landed you wouldn't be expecting it to be well illuminated so it was nice to see that represented rather than lighting the scene so you can see the actors faces properly.

The photo in Ambassador Spock's possesions made me well up. I wasn't expecting it. Tribute to Nimoy was well done. And that shot of Kirk toasting to absent friends at Yorktown with the camera cutting to Yelchin was a lovely touch. I didn't see the tribute in text for them both. When was it?

I feel Pine is a great Kirk now. I have never been a great fan of the Kelvin Timeline. Urban is in his element as Bones and as he is a die hard trekkie you know it's important to him to do it justice and make it his own.

The script i felt a bit clunky once or twice and think Scotty said lassie too much but a minor niggle that had no bearing on my opinion.

I'm probably forgetting loads but it's been a long week. Will be going again next week for the second viewing and for the first time look forward to the next one.

A worthy bit of Trek for the 50th Anniversary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Long time fan, and found very few faults with it.
    Very happy and throughly enjoyed it.

Loved the picture of the old crew.

Ms

malcy wrote: »
    My thoughts,

Enjoyed it. First off the destruction of the Enterprise. I felt it dragged on a bit but if you're gonna destroy an icon do it viciously! Thought i would find Jaylahs character annoying but i thought she was great and hope she turns up as an ensign or cadet in the next one.

Lots of references. I think i spied a Benzite in the first 15 mins or so. Xindi & Romulan Wars, does this mean Capt. Edison was possibly a MACO on Enterprise's mission through the Expanse? Commodore Paris. Adm. Paris's mother maybe? Speculation on the Franklin being grabbed by 'a big green space hand'. There were loads but i can't remember.

It felt so different from the previous two. The camera work was a bit dizzying and dark at times but i enjoyed the low lighting. If the saucer section had just crash landed you wouldn't be expecting it to be well illuminated so it was nice to see that represented rather than lighting the scene so you can see the actors faces properly.

The photo in Ambassador Spock's possesions made me well up. I wasn't expecting it. Tribute to Nimoy was well done. And that shot of Kirk toasting to absent friends at Yorktown with the camera cutting to Yelchin was a lovely touch. I didn't see the tribute in text for them both. When was it?

I feel Pine is a great Kirk now. I have never been a great fan of the Kelvin Timeline. Urban is in his element as Bones and as he is a die hard trekkie you know it's important to him to do it justice and make it his own.

The script i felt a bit clunky once or twice and think Scotty said lassie too much but a minor niggle that had no bearing on my opinion.

I'm probably forgetting loads but it's been a long week. Will be going again next week for the second viewing and for the first time look forward to the next one.

A worthy bit of Trek for the 50th Anniversary.

Its after all the credits. I also plan on going to see in at least again and maybe a 3rd time. That photo also got to me.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Well I think that's it ... I'm going to go to see it in the cinema sometime next week. I wasn't going to ... I really wasn't. :rolleyes:

I had previously planned to go to Independence Day: Resurgence (I'm a massive fan of ID4), but when I saw the terrible, terrible reviews, I figured I'd save the cash.

Now I know what I will spend it on. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Saw it last night. I really liked it.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Well I think that's it ... I'm going to go to see it in the cinema sometime next week. I wasn't going to ... I really wasn't. :rolleyes:

I had previously planned to go to Independence Day: Resurgence (I'm a massive fan of ID4), but when I saw the terrible, terrible reviews, I figured I'd save the cash.

Now I know what I will spend it on. :P

Do see it.

OK if we want real Trek in the cinema we have to support it when they actually bring real Trek to the screen. Regardless of the previous two, of which I have been a very very vocal critic, this new film deserves its place among the old crews (let's face it Trek is at home on television but you get what I mean).

It is not perfect but, damn it, it is Star Trek (FINALLY!!)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Will see it tonight. 2D or 3D?

Advertisement