Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Beyond

Options

Comments

restive wrote: »
    Will see it tonight. 2D or 3D?

It is a VERY darkly shot film anyway. I would be cautious that the cinema will not increase the brightness enough, in a 3D showing

AMKC wrote: »
    Following an excellent prologue that finds Capt Kirk (Chris Pine) on a diplomatic mission to a cadre of aggressive toothy things, the team is dispatched to rescue a ship stranded within the 13th screen of an Asteroids game.

What exactly does he mean by the 13th screen of an Asteroids game? I seen no game.

Apologies if there is sarcasm which I am missing but there are people who have never seen the game

Damn I feel old

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Saw this yesterday, and really enjoyed. There were some silly bits, but overall it was a great film. The characters had some decent development, and the actors really do the parts justice. Story moved along nicely as well, so overall i'm really happy with it. Definitely a better Star Trek movie than the last one, and while no where near as good as the best of the original timeline movies, it definitely is a proper Star Trek film.

The Leonard Nimoy tribute was nice, and it seeing that photo nearly made me tear up, as well as the 'To absent friends' with the camera on Chekov. And 'For Anton' right at the end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Apologies if there is sarcasm which I am missing but there are people who have never seen the game

Damn I feel old

Ah bless - the soundtrack to my early years on this planet, in the amusement arcades of Ballybunion :p There was that and this lad :pac:. A few years later I saw a guy playing this in an arcade in Limerick and he was so on fire, that he's spare lives wrapped onto a second line. :eek:

I went and got the MAME version of this a few years back and spent a few hours reliving my far, far away misspent youth.

<oops ... OT ... quick say something Trek related>

So it would be best to see Beyond in 2D then? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Proper Star Trek!! Really enjoyed it.

Even the 'nu' Enterprise looked great, without all the lens flare getting in the way.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    Proper Star Trek!! Really enjoyed it.

Even the 'nu' Enterprise looked great, without all the lens flare getting in the way.

What about the
    Nu nu Enterprise?? 1701-A with a satellite deflector and proper angled nacelles
    ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

What about the
    Nu nu Enterprise?? 1701-A with a satellite deflector and proper angled nacelles
    ??

Yeah! Looking forward to seeing more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just back from seeing it today - really loved it. And I did have to fight back a tear when the dedication to Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin came up after the immediate credits... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I liked it a lot too. The villain, despite his backstory, was just the cliched pissed off bad guy. I actually think his character would have been improved if
    he was still human and recognisably Starfleet from the beginning; and leading a disenfranchised group of former Starfleet personnel that remain of his crew. Perhaps he was accidentally abandoned on that planet due to a mistake by George Kirk in the past and he opportunistically uses Jim's stop off at Yorktown to extract revenge. Sins of the father, and all that. Making him human all the time would have allowed Elba acting to shine through too.

I also thought the action direction could have been tighter. Overall though, I loved the character interaction, Jaylah was cool and I hope to see her return, and the positives outweigh the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

I really liked the references to the old series, when they said "It was rumored it was crushed by a gigantic green hand", also that they used out of the box thinking to defeat the opponent and the philosophical effect of the soldier that is not needed anymore rebels.
    For my personal enjoyment too much action and too much bro-humor. But one of the better Star Trek movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Going against reviews here but I thought it was a bit of a shambles.

Don't get me wrong - the odd nod to classic trek and the Prime universe (Xindi etc was well done). And Elba put a good turn in as the baddie.

But the script was awful. As if they just couldn't be assed going through allot of plot development. Eg. convincing jayla to go back to camp took all of 10 seconds. Of course gets admiral if he wants it. The Spock/Bones scenes where Spock is injured were so badly written and clunky.

The action bore all the hallmarks of the directors experience. Like the bike jump at the end. It could have been a cool stunt. But instead they rammed it in because they wanted the mid air beam out. But they just couldn't be arsed putting together a set/a sequence of events that made it make sense.

Quinto's performance was mediocre. But Pegg stands out for awfulness.

And the aesthetic. The Yorktown starbase didn't feel like a Trek universe design.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭squonk

I headed along yesterday evening with one of my friends and we've been big Trek people for years so I was wondering going in how we'd both feel coming out. Well, it turned out we both came out thinking the same thing, that it wasn't that bad.

I think what they got right this time was that they focused on the characters. The interaction between Bones, Kirk and Spock was good and with the added depth, it really helped it feel much more like Trek.

I think Urban was the stand out as McCoy, if maybe just slightly OTT but fine. Pine did a good turn as Kirk but I think Quinto was the weakest of the three. He didn't quite nail the gravitas that Leonard Nimoy's portrayal of Spock. Pegg was a bit OTT but I think it helped that this time he was actually doing useful things rather than the comic relief. Yelchin's enthusiasm was one of the things I liked about all 3 movies so far and I felt sad watching the movie knowing what happened a month ago. RIP.

It hardly seems worth talking about the plot which was kinda thin and didn't make a heap of sense but that's the way of big movies so I'm not going to complain.

Largely they did very little harm this time and did a lot to bring the real fans on board. My two major gripes were with
    The USS Franklin and the Starbase. The Franklin screws with Cannon I think because I'm pretty sure that the NX-01 was earth's first warp ship after Cochrane's from First Contact. They've fudged this a bit by saying the Franklin was a Warp 4 capable ship. They've shoehorned it in and done just enough to cover themselves but I don't like it. In the end I don't care enough to get annoyed about it though. The second piece was the starbase or should that be iStarbase! It really didn't feel like a Federation base at all.
    In the end though I couldnt' get too annoyed and it looks like some of the cast are talking of moving on from the series anyway so, whether that's typical "give me more money" talk or a genuine desire to work on something new, it looks like we might not be getting a long series of these films anyway so it's hardly worth worrying about. Th cast felt like they gelled more this time and they felt like a more mature crew who you could actually believe as the crew of a Federation starship. That in itself was good. Also, no lense flare. That was a positive.

The photograph was a great moment. I nearly welled up.

So, yeah, I think I've bought in now. I got a lot of laughs and it was serious enough to keep me interested. They've finally gotten me onside. I think Abrahams stepping away was a great thing. I thought Pegg's script would be a disaster but I think they've got the right balance now, or as close as we're likely to get. In the end, I came out happy and I realised I had finally seen some new actual Star Trek. What more can you say really.

NX01 was far from Earth's first Warp ship post First Contact.
    It was the first warp 5 ship.

There were Earth colonies and Travis grew up as a boomer, on a warp capable cargo ship.

NX01 was far from Earth's first Warp ship poat First Contact.

There were Earth colonies and Travis grew up as a boomer, on a warp capable cargo ship.

Cheers for that! Yeah when we came out we were chatting and I realised I needed to watch Enterprise again. I didn't get to finish the show first time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

NX01 was far from Earth's first Warp ship poat First Contact.

Yes, Travis' parents ship was a decades-old warp 1 freighter- presumably these were very common by the time of Enterprise. The other Starfleet ships seen in Enterprise were never given a top speed on screen, so it's conceivable that some were capable of warp 4, though I think the intention was that they were Warp 2 ships and that NX-01 represented a fairly significant jump in human spaceflight capabilities.

What is mentioned on-screen though, is that Warp 3 was only broken 8 years before the NX-01 was launched, as part of the Warp 5 test programme.

Yes, Travis' parents ship was a decades-old warp 1 freighter- presumably these were very common by the time of Enterprise. The other Starfleet ships seen in Enterprise were never given a top speed on screen, so it's conceivable that some were capable of warp 4, though I think the intention was that they were Warp 2 ships and that NX-01 represented a fairly significant jump in human spaceflight capabilities.

What is mentioned on-screen though, is that Warp 3 was only broken 8 years before the NX-01 was launched, as part of the Warp 5 test programme.

Yeah but they were working on a warp 5 engine from Archer's childhood so conceivable that there was a warp 4. It's tight timeliness but possible and may itself have been an NX prototype dragged out of mothballs for the Romulan wars (like the Defiant actually)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Id say some of the other Starfleet ships seen in Enterprise were even warp 3 capable. It would still be a big leap going from warp 3 to warp 5. I could see them maybe saying we will just build a test ship for getting past warp 4 but aiming for a warp 5 space ready ship. So the warp 4 ship was just to help them understand the warp dynamics more and learn what they needed to do to get to warp 5.
    I quite liked the Franklin myself would say it maybe has 4 or 5 decks and if it did ever fly maybe a crew of 40.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Yeah but they were working on a warp 5 engine from Archer's childhood so conceivable that there was a warp 4. It's tight timeliness but possible and may itself have been an NX prototype dragged out of mothballs for the Romulan wars (like the Defiant actually)

The other possibility is that they continued to make lower specced warp cores due to some form of material limitation (replicators still weren't all powerful).

Just because they had the capability to make a warp 5 engine doesn't mean they outfitted the fleet with them or even built all the new ships containing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

For anyone still trying to fit the Franklin into the timeline -

http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/07/heres-where-the-franklin-fits-in-the-star-trek-timeline/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

AMKC wrote: »
    Id say some of the other Starfleet ships seen in Enterprise were even warp 3 capable. It would still be a big leap going from warp 3 to warp 5. I could see them maybe saying we will just build a test ship for getting past warp 4 but aiming for a warp 5 space ready ship. So the warp 4 ship was just to help them understand the warp dynamics more and learn what they needed to do to get to warp 5.
    I quite liked the Franklin myself would say it maybe has 4 or 5 decks and if it did ever fly maybe a crew of 40.

IIRC, the biggest non NX-01 ship (Intrepid) was referred to as a Warp 2 ship in scripts but the lines were never on screen for whatever reason.

All these rationalisations are perfectly plausible though. The ship sits quite well in the continuity in my view.

The other possibility is that they continued to make lower specced warp cores due to some form of material limitation (replicators still weren't all powerful).

Just because they had the capability to make a warp 5 engine doesn't mean they outfitted the fleet with them or even built all the new ships containing one.

Yep or could even just be an fuel/energy efficiency thing- depending on the ship's main role, going fast might not matter as much as getting there with the minimum use of resources. Not sure if Earth was yet considered post-scarcity in the 2140's and 2150's.

• Advertisement

OK - I've seen Beyond.

Not bad. Not bad at all. I definitely think it's a big improvement on Into Darkness and something of an improvement on the Lens Flare episode. ;)

Yes. It is more like proper Trek. I disagree with those that said the story was a mess. It was there and was told by the end.

Pine and Urban portrayed their characters very well and I could almost feel Shatner and Kelley coming through. Quinto doesn't play Spock at all well. I say this as Nimoy's Spock is by far my most favourite Trek character. There was no chemistry between Kirk and Spock, though there was some between Spock and Bones.

Some specifics:
      [*]Death of the Enterprise - I felt nothing for it. I balled my eyes out in ST:TSFS when she blew (and still get a lump to this day when I see it), but for this ship, I have no attachment to it.
      [*]Why did the shells of people that Krall took energy from all look like a gaunt Anton Yelchin? I kept saying to myself "Did they kill him off here?" :confused:
      [*]I liked the way they had the swarm come for the Franklin and look like a surfers dream wave! :D
      [*]I had a little tear or two at the photo.
      [*]The end credit sequence was very reminiscent of a TOS ending (though they had stills back then as opposed to this visual feast).
      [*]I had the entire cinema to myself by the time the dedication came on (only about 10 people in the cinema for that sitting). I had a little cry then.

I'm happy to have seen it.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
      • Death of the Enterprise - I felt nothing for it. I balled my eyes out in ST:TSFS when she blew (and still get a lump to this day when I see it), but for this ship, I have no attachment to it.
      This has kinda being bugging me all evening. :confused:
      Why was I so upset at TOS Enterprise being destroyed and not Kelvin Timeline Enterprise? I then remembered that I was kinda upset to see Ent-D get blown to sh1t in Generations.

So I figure, because I'd known and loved TOS Enterprise for 3 seasons, plus TAS, plus ST:TMP and ST:TWOK, that I'd grown fond of the old girl. Same with 7 Seasons of End-D on TNG and then she gets her big screen debut and BOOM - a crappy old BOP blows through her shields and she's outta here to be replaced by a younger, sexier model.
      :rolleyes:
      Kelvin Timeline Enterprise is nothing to me.
      :eek:

My post looks like something from NAMA or the CIA!!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
      Pine and Urban portrayed their characters very well and I could almost feel Shatner and Kelley coming through. Quinto doesn't play Spock at all well.

I think this has been an issue from the start, I still can't tell if it's Quinto or the script in any of them, I think it's a mix. The same for Uhura. Pegg should have stuck to writing and others are just different characters.

Pine and Urban are just great, as close as I think you'd get to the originals without digital trickery.

CramCycle wrote: »
      I think this has been an issue from the start, I still can't tell if it's Quinto or the script in any of them, I think it's a mix. The same for Uhura. Pegg should have stuck to writing and others are just different characters.

Pine and Urban are just great, as close as I think you'd get to the originals without digital trickery.

Quinto was arguably the hottest property coming into 2009 film, off the back of Heroes. Looks like they tried to build on that by humanising Spock. It's a different character which he has to play with way more emotions

The problem with the Kelvin Enterprise is that we simply haven't seen enough of it. One of my issues with the original film was that the Enterprise was just there and we hardly got to see it. The great thing about TOS and TNG was that the Enterprise was font and center. It was as much a character as Data, Picard, Kirk or McCoy. It's hard to connect with a ship you barely recognise. They helped matters in Beyone by actually showing much more of it early on but it was too little too late. Even the sequence with the building of the replacement was just a camera rush job. Compared to the whole sequences in the earlier movies where we're given fly by tours of new ships with swelling music, it was pretty drab. It's one of the things I didn't like about Beyond or NuTrek in general.

I suppose because we had spent so much time with TOS Enterprise and Ent-D that it almost feels like a "home" to us, so we care more for it.

I also wasn't impressed with the How-Its-Made style Kelvin Ent-A construction. :rolleyes: We need grand sweeping shots, with powerful music. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

squonk wrote: »
      The problem with the Kelvin Enterprise is that we simply haven't seen enough of it. One of my issues with the original film was that the Enterprise was just there and we hardly got to see it. The great thing about TOS and TNG was that the Enterprise was font and center. It was as much a character as Data, Picard, Kirk or McCoy. It's hard to connect with a ship you barely recognise. They helped matters in Beyone by actually showing much more of it early on but it was too little too late. Even the sequence with the building of the replacement was just a camera rush job. Compared to the whole sequences in the earlier movies where we're given fly by tours of new ships with swelling music, it was pretty drab. It's one of the things I didn't like about Beyond or NuTrek in general.

That's true. The old models had real heft, the bleached white reminiscent of NASA footage with the lovely blue glow of the deflector. The ships were also in darkness, lit by lights.

The new Enterprise is shot at manic crazed angles and speeds.

Don't get me wrong - I like the fact that the ships move faster. Some of the TNG battles are painful now they're so static.
      The timelapse of the new ship - the 'camera' moves too fast - it makes the ships look like toys as opposed to large space going vessels.

The new build is a tease FFS.
      They're not going to blow their intro at the end of this film

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Finally caught it over the weekend and was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
      I liked the first new Trek well enough but absolutely hated Into Darkness. This felt the most like a 'proper' Trek film.

Having said that the villain was woefully underwritten and lacked a proper motivation. He was yet another bad with a grudge against Starfleet armed with a superweapon.

• Advertisement
    • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I just seen it there and really liked it, the fact its the first film that they really did without some mcguffin linking it the originals made it better in my opinion. it felt like a long episode of the original series for the most part, with some great nods to it.

Idris Elba was seriously underused though, they could have got any random actor in there and saved themselves a few million in budget.
      I think you seen his actual face once the entire film and it was on a film in the film! why bother paying him then covering him in alien makeup..

I still am not a fan of the new timeline thing, but taking the film for what it is, i enjoyed it.

Greg Grunburg must have some dodgy photos off JJ Abrams or something, i think he is in everything JJ touches off.

Best one of the 3 for me.

Advertisement