Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Beyond

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

iirc i think i read something a while ago about her spending the 2nd half of 2016 on Avatar stuff but it was an old enough article itself

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Initial reactions to the film below. No spoilers.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-beyond-early-reactions/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭squonk

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Initial reactions to the film below. No spoilers.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-beyond-early-reactions/

Hard to know from these reviews. I like that it's said that it has the feel of a TOS episode which can only be good but my eye was drawn to the review saying it was more Mas Effect (which I don't know) than Star Trek has me a little worried. I'm not expecting the Trek I love but it at least seems good that it doesn't appear to be the car crash that Into Darkness was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

squonk wrote: »
    Hard to know from these reviews. I like that it's said that it has the feel of a TOS episode which can only be good but my eye was drawn to the review saying it was more Mas Effect (which I don't know) than Star Trek has me a little worried. I'm not expecting the Trek I love but it at least seems good that it doesn't appear to be the car crash that Into Darkness was.

Seen that too, I am not sure that I liked the idea of the "nods" to fans either. I like little bits and pieces outside of the main characters but not if it is over done.

I would be worried that it is going to have loads of in jokes and references for no reason other than having them, trying to placate fan boys but actually missing what fans want.

As for the mass effect thing, unless he is referring to the fact that it is sci fi with shooting, and other races, and that the acting is terrible, then mass effect could be any number of sci fi movies or franchises. I wouldn't read into it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I just want an enjoyable film. The 2009 film isn't 'Trek' as we know it but it's a fairly fun action movie in its own right. I went into the second one expecting more of the same and to quite enjoy it but it was just really objectively bad in its own right before you even consider the elements which play like a bad cover version of Wrath of Khan.

Hopefully they learned a lot from the second one and at least Simon Pegg is a huge Trek fan unlike JJ Abrams (I appreciate that they both had massively different roles in the making of these films). Into Darkness and the first trailer for this destroyed any goodwill I personally had but I'll try to go into this with as close to an open mind as possible.

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »

For me Mass Edfect is one of the most incredible pieces of science fiction in the last 10 years. A universe filled with great characters, colour, emotion and stories. It's about individuals becoming teams. So I'm actually seeing that as a positive thing.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I just want an enjoyable film. The 2009 film isn't 'Trek' as we know it but it's a fairly fun action movie in its own right. I went into the second one expecting more of the same and to quite enjoy it but it was just really objectively bad in its own right before you even consider the elements which play like a bad cover version of Wrath of Khan.

I imagine if you had the right editor, you could make it into a far better movie, little jumpy in the second half but better, not great either but still better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

FutureGuy wrote: »

Well that's all quite positive. Where reference is made to Into Darkness, it's to say Beyond is a major improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Empire have given it four stars and a positive review.

Edit - three stars in the Guardian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So a fourth Star Trek film in this series of films is 100% go according to JJ Abrams and there will be no replacement for Chekov which is only right.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/14/jj-abrams-star-trek-wont-replace-anton-yelchin

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

When the "rotten" review on Rotten Tomatoes is...

"Ultimately, Beyond is a movie about characters - and character. But that's half the battle. The other half of the battle is... battle. And Lin, who has such a strong track record with vehicular mayhem, doesn't bring his "A" game."

...I know I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it. It's about characters.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

8.4 from IGN as well. Seems like it actually might be pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I've no doubt it'll be a good summer blockbuster.
    At this stage it's just about how authentic it is.

Yet every review is saying it's character based TOS-esque

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

this all depends on how well the actors playing the characters do their job and how faithful to Roddenberry they remain.

I might be being cynical about it, but i'm gonna hold off on any udgement before i actually see it for myself

Yet every review is saying it's character based TOS-esque

I suspect they mean more TOS like than the previous movie.

I am going to say it, it's going to be mediocre but as one of the few movies I will see in the cinema this year I am going to love it.

It will possibly be the first movie my son sees in the cinema and stupid, leave your brain at the door action may be a good thing.

STAY AWAY FROM ANY NEWER TRAILERS.

Honestly, some of the stuff they have just shown on the latest trailers is so spoilerific it's crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cheers, I'm bowing out of any new trailers for this so. I'm still not inclined to go see it in the cinema based on what I've seen, but I'm also not as convinced it'll be a total train wreck either. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I do not understand why they put spoilers in these trailers. So many films have had absolutely massive plot points revealed recently, which would be so much better if they were surprising. I genuinely don't understand the logic behind it.

Definitely staying away from anymore trailers.

Kiith wrote: »
    I do not understand why they put spoilers in these trailers. So many films have had absolutely massive plot points revealed recently, which would be so much better if they were surprising. I genuinely don't understand the logic behind it.

Definitely staying away from anymore trailers.

Its been like this for years now though. I remember Sky I think at the same with Buffy. First time I had seen it, they literally showed the big reveal in the finale in the advert, right before the show started. So all of the talk in the show about the options was boll1x because you knew what they were going to do.

It's no different than waiting to watch a sports highlight show and the advert before the show is the results sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Do ye know what was worse, Battlestar Galactica - The opening sequence in every damn episode would show all the best bits - and it even managed to spoil the whole
    Kara Thrace being dead thing
    at one point. I used to cover my eyes during it :D

Do ye know what was worse, Battlestar Galactica - The opening sequence in every damn episode would show all the best bits - and it even managed to spoil the whole

Forgot about that, it was so stupid. It wasn't even a tiny bit misleading, in that you could think, maybe not, maybe that's not what is going to happen.

Ms

Myrddin wrote: »
    Cheers, I'm bowing out of any new trailers for this so. I'm still not inclined to go see it in the cinema based on what I've seen, but I'm also not as convinced it'll be a total train wreck either. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

If your looking forward to seeing it then you should go see it in the cinema. Maybe go midweek when its cheaper if you do not want to pay full price. Personally myself I wish it was been released on Wednesday or even Thursday so I could see it on one of them days and then read the reviews on Friday. Thats the way it used to be in the good days but cinema,s don,t seem to have pre-view screening anymore unfortunately.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

AMKC wrote: »
    If your looking forward to seeing it then you should go see it in the cinema. Maybe go midweek when its cheaper if you do not want to pay full price. Personally myself I wish it was been released on Wednesday or even Thursday so I could see it on one of them days and then read the reviews on Friday. Thats the way it used to be in the good days but cinema,s don,t seem to have pre-view screening anymore unfortunately.

I see 99% of new releases in my local Gate cinema on a thursday, early afternoon for only €6. Bargain and theres rarely anymore than 5 people in the screen. Many a time it's just been myself.

Agree about preferring it on a thursday. Can't wait to see what review it gets in The Ticket, the supplement in one of the Irish newspapers. The reviews in that are often so ridiculous and full of wrong information that i wonder if they even watch the films. Either that or they are too busy writing the review while watching it that they miss half the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Haha! I thought I was the only one who did that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

Star Trek 4 confirmed now. Hemsworth will defo be back as George Kirk as well. http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/07/official-star-trek-4-is-happening/

Ms

malcy wrote: »
    Star Trek 4 confirmed now. Hemsworth will defo be back as George Kirk as well. http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/07/official-star-trek-4-is-happening/

How he is dead unless they do some sort off flashback or its a prequel maybe but surely unlikely. Could use time travel maybe

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

malcy wrote: »
    I see 99% of new releases in my local Gate cinema on a thursday, early afternoon for only €6. Bargain and theres rarely anymore than 5 people in the screen. Many a time it's just been myself.

Agree about preferring it on a thursday. Can't wait to see what review it gets in The Ticket, the supplement in one of the Irish newspapers. The reviews in that are often so ridiculous and full of wrong information that i wonder if they even watch the films. Either that or they are too busy writing the review while watching it that they miss half the film.

I know it and the paper it comes in I do read it in the library when I get the chance and when the library has it. Would not buy it. I agree with you about the reviews can be hit and miss.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement