Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I don't know what people expect in 2016 at the box office.

I expect the likes of Axanar ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

http://deadline.com/2016/07/star-trek-beyond-box-office-projection-ghostbusters-secret-life-of-pets-1201782223/

Can't copy the relevant section but the Rihanna video is bringing in huge amounts of hype for the movie, especially in an age range that may not have had awareness of the film before now. Good marketing move.

I still think this film is going to surprise people as to how much heart it will have. Time will tell :-D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I expect the likes of Axanar ;)

I'd love it, but outside of fans, who will watch it? Brand familiarity sells tickets nowadays. Joe and Jane are not going to spend Friday night at ye olde local cinema to watch Anaxar. They will watch the new trek movies. Harsh but that's reality.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    http://deadline.com/2016/07/star-trek-beyond-box-office-projection-ghostbusters-secret-life-of-pets-1201782223/

Can't copy the relevant section but the Rihanna video is bringing in huge amounts of hype for the movie, especially in an age range that may not have had awareness of the film before now. Good marketing move.

I still think this film is going to surprise people as to how much heart it will have. Time will tell :-D

The Rhianna move is inspired (insipid for regular fans) and broad reaching

• Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So Rihanna is claiming that she has been a fan of Star Trek since she was a little girl. I wonder what she thinks of the news films when compared to the ones from the Prime timeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnS44Vg40WE

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

AMKC wrote: »
    So Rihanna is claiming that she has been a fan of Star Trek since she was a little girl. I wonder what she thinks of the news films then compared to the ones from the Prime timeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnS44Vg40WE

Reminds me of the rash of people- celebrities notably- who suddenly "came out" as Star Trek fans in the early 90's after BOBW part 1 suddenly woke everyone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭squonk

Now that Netflix has the Trek series on it's roster here I dipped into the some of the really good TOS episodes over the weekend. Amok Time, Space Seed and Mirror Mirror was what I watched but it was plain to see, even then in Season 1 and 2 that the cast displayed far more camraderie and the show had some quality writing compared to the films. I know you can't compare apples and oranges but, while I really have lots of time for Karl Urban, he plays a great McCoy but there just isn't the same chemistry between the movie Spock, McCoy and Kirk as there was in TOS from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

squonk wrote: »
    Now that Netflix has the Trek series on it's roster here I dipped into the some of the really good TOS episodes over the weekend. Amok Time, Space Seed and Mirror Mirror was what I watched but it was plain to see, even then in Season 1 and 2 that the cast displayed far more camraderie and the show had some quality writing compared to the films. I know you can't compare apples and oranges but, while I really have lots of time for Karl Urban, he plays a great McCoy but there just isn't the same chemistry between the movie Spock, McCoy and Kirk as there was in TOS from the get go.

I agree with you that in the new movies the camraderie or threesome as some call it was not there it was basically just Kirk and Spock and even that was done bad but the new film is supposed to get back to having the three of them together again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sulu is now gay.
    Will put a link about it when free.

Partial tribute to George Takei and to highlight lgbt stuff.

Fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

AMKC wrote: »
    I agree with you that in the new movies the camraderie or threesome as some call it was not there it was basically just Kirk and Spock and even that was done bad but the new film is supposed to get back to having the three of them together again.

I think it is Spock who was the let down here, McCoy is good, Kirk is grand but the new Spock just doesn't have that, whatever it was that made the three of them work when they should not have.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think it is Spock who was the let down here, McCoy is good, Kirk is grand but the new Spock just doesn't have that, whatever it was that made the three of them work when they should not have.

A script

A acript

I presume you meant script, and I agree, they had a story but not a script. Director of Fast and Furious does not fill me with hope of one this time around either.

Simon Pegg writing it kinda does though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sulu is now gay.
    Will put a link about it when free.

Partial tribute to George Takei and to highlight lgbt stuff.

Does Sulu's daughter no longer exist in that timeline now...

Does Sulu's daughter no longer exist in that timeline now...

Gay people have kids in the 21st century, never mind the 23rd.

Simon Pegg writing it kinda does though

Directors and editing room floors are probably covered with greatness. I hope it's good. Even if it's not I will probably enjoy it. Sucker like that.

This said Simon Pegg writing it could be bad as he may fan boy it up to much, in the same way there was no need for Kahn last time out,

I'll wait and see but I am not expecting too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Gay people have kids in the 21st century, never mind the 23rd.

Actually surprisingly, George Takei is not happy with this. Says it go against the vision of Gene R.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭squonk

Actually surprisingly, George Takei is not happy with this. Says it go against the vision of Gene R.

So much in this particular reincarnation of the franchise has gone against the vision of Gene R it's hard to know where to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

With all respect to Takei, I'm disappointed (in him) that he's choosing to complain about this. Particularly in suggesting that it might not be what "Gene wanted".

That it's reflective of Takei's own real life I guess makes it a personal issue for him; can't comment on that really (although I might have assumed it'd be an honour!). But he's said, I think the article was on Variety, that Gene in the 60s was walking a thin line with how far he could push things – the interracial kiss between Kirk and Uhura had an episode removed from broadcast in some states – and therefor he wasn't willing to have an out gay character in the show.

But that was the 1960s. Doesn't seem to fit that Gene in 2016 would have still be against the idea; surely it's exactly the type of thing Star Trek likes to do.

I think it's a great move. And of the characters to choose from, Sulu seems like a good choice – irrespective of George Takei.

• Advertisement

I saw that. Don't really agree with Mr Takei on this one.

Besides, Gene R's vision would still have all the ladies in mini-skirts and leather boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It feels lazy though doesn't it? It does to me. Let's make one of the characters gay. Which one...? How about the one played by the gay guy?

Pegg didn't want to make Scotty gay.

I can see why Takai isn't happy. He knew the character and knows Sulu wasn't gay in the main timeline. It doesn't make much sense that a Romulan went back in time and made Sulu gay.

Meh, it doesn't bother me much but I get where he is coming from.

I saw that. Don't really agree with Mr Takei on this one.

Besides, Gene R's vision would still have all the ladies in mini-skirts and leather boots.

His vision was that they wear the same as the men, ala The Cage

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭dimwittedrep

What I really can't understand is why they can't just put a decent script in anyways. The target audience for this rubbish don't care if it's an incomprehensible mess or not, so you could put something decent in (hell, crowdsource the story for free) and keep everybody happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭dimwittedrep

Goodshape wrote: »
    But that was the 1960s. Doesn't seem to fit that Gene in 2016 would have still be against the idea; surely it's exactly the type of thing Star Trek likes to do.

I think it's a great move. And of the characters to choose from, Sulu seems like a good choice – irrespective of George Takei.
    Er, no. The inter-racial kiss actually caused a controversy because backward people didn't agree with it happening at all. People are objecting to gay Sulu because it's a dumb, calculated and painfully obvious idea. Nobody would care if somebody new turned up in ST and was gay for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,716 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

His vision was that they wear the same as the men, ala The Cage

Indeed.. I'd say the miniskirts were more the network's doing myself. Different times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Didn't TNG briefly show a male crewman in the female miniskirt uniform? Maybe he just preferred the skirts to the pyjamas :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Myrddin wrote: »
    Didn't TNG briefly show a male crewman in the female miniskirt uniform? Maybe he just preferred the skirts to the pyjamas :P

Yep - I think this was it:
    tumblr_neyvcqfJmQ1tx7h82o1_500.jpg

But later on you had this little beauty:
    tumblr_inline_o29eepApwm1tgruqf_1280.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The dress uniform (as in for special military/diplomatic occasions) I can understand, but the random dude in the miniskirt was, and still is, a complete mystery :confused:

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    The dress uniform (as in for special military/diplomatic occasions) I can understand, but the random dude in the miniskirt was, and still is, a complete mystery :confused:

Don't see why. Plenty of earth cultures has clothing for men like that, never mind other civilisations

Advertisement