Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen all of the TOS movies.

You should give them a proper go. Genuinely good films and less of the Saturday-afternoon-entertainment feeling that the original series had. Although you'd be forgiven for skipping past the first and fifth entries!

On the TNG movies, I thought Insurrection was better than Nemesis, but that's damning with very faint praise. Insurrection was like a midseason two-parter but midseason two-parters are generally alright! Nemesis didn't even have that. It was just way off tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The fifth has its moments. I love the stuff around the campfire with Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

It definitely shows you shouldn't let Bill Shatner make a Star Trek film but I'd watch it over Into Darkness and probably Insurrection any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Beefy78 wrote: »
    The fifth has its moments. I love the stuff around the campfire with Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

It definitely shows you shouldn't let Bill Shatner make a Star Trek film but I'd watch it over Into Darkness and probably Insurrection any day of the week.

It was not Shatners fault that V is not the best film or as good as it could have been. He was not giving the budget that was really needed to make that film really good. That said it is very funny in parts and there is some good scenes in it but some terrible ones too and the story is nothing great.
    I don,t mind Insurrection or Nemesis do think Nemesis could have so much better if we had of had more Federation ships in the battle do but again budget was the problem there and the fact s total none trek person directed that film did not help. They should have let Frakes direct it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mr E wrote: »

Far better trailer and we really are getting a sense for that the film is about. Looking forward to it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Pew pew pew

Ms

@FutureGuy Do you think its going to be a better film than "Into Darkness" and maybe even a decent film that might do some justice and deserve to have Star Trek in its title. I see some people still think there is lens flare in it and are saying that JJ being a producer has more control this time as he tells the Director what to do but overall this trailer seems to have been received a lot better than the last one which s good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Better trailer for sure. Still very action movie, but film trek is always a bit like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

Wait a minute...

...was that the Enterprise NX01 at 02:14?

(It depresses me a little to know that ST:ENT is the only show that fits into both universes.)

Ms

Its not the NX01 but a ship like it maybe the Colombia. There is an article somewhere on the internet about it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

AMKC wrote: »
    Its not the NX01 but a ship like it maybe the Colombia. There is an article somewhere on the internet about it.

Cannot be Columbia. That crashed in the Delta quadrant? Or ends up somewhere smashed up. It does look like an old NX ship though.

@FutureGuy Do you think its going to be a better film than "Into Darkness" and maybe even a decent film that might do some justice and deserve to have Star Trek in its title. I see some people still think there is lens flare in it and are saying that JJ being a producer has more control this time as he tells the Director what to do but overall this trailer seems to have been received a lot better than the last one which s good.

Just my opinion but I think that this, despite many saying it is too action-orientated,will be the most "Star Trek" Star Trek film in many years.

There wasn't a lot of heart in Into Darkness which was a massive wasted opportunity.

From the front, it looks nothing like the NX class, but it certainly does from the rear.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Just my opinion but I think that this, despite many saying it is too action-orientated,will be the most "Star Trek" Star Trek film in many years.

There wasn't a lot of heart in Into Darkness which was a massive wasted opportunity.

The second trailer is giving me a lot more optimism than the last one. Now I actually want to see this.

Why in the hell could they have not led with *this* trailer? The first one was just shooting and shouting set to the soundtrack of the song Kirk was listening to when he drove that classic car off a cliff (along with a now impossible Nokia car-phone...oh well....product placement...). It all seemed very loud and unoriginal.

However this trailer paints a possibly interesting story, with some thought put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

The second trailer has promoted it from not bothered to will bother to download.

The second trailer has promoted it from not bothered to will bother to download.

Oh you rebel. I wish that I could be a cool as you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Oh you rebel. I wish that I could be a cool as you

Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

CjFdXdBWEAELyRA.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

^^ Seriously? :confused: Is that a real poster?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think so. There's also this one (both are from the 'fan event' a few days ago, not sure how widely released either will actually be):

star-trek-beyond-poster.jpg

Really like that one. Obviously a riff on the Motion Picture poster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

actually thought the trailer looked ok, but it reminded me of the voyager episode with there ships stick to the hull

Ms

@helimachopter I thought that to perhaps they had been watching Voyager and went "Lets do that that would look cool attacking the Enterprise on the big screen. Who knows maybe it even the same species and they have made it to the Alpha Quadrant either that or the Enterprise is now in the Delta Quadrant lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

@helimachopter I thought that to perhaps they had been watching Voyager and went "Lets do that that would look cool attacking the Enterprise on the big screen. Who knows maybe it even the same species and they have made it to the Alpha Quadrant either that or the Enterprise is now in the Delta Quadrant lol.

I'm not ruling either out tbh!

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I didn't see anything new in that. Did I miss something?

Ms

MMFITWGDV wrote: »

No its just what they will be showing on TV advertising it. There is supposed to be a second one too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MMFITWGDV wrote: »

NX class at 56sec anyone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

NX class at 56sec anyone???

Very similar, but not quite (but then again, the Enterprise in these films isn't quite a Constitution class anyway :o)

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Very similar, but not quite (but then again, the Enterprise in these films isn't quite a Constitution class anyway :o)

My gut is telling me that Beyond might end up with a plot similar to The Flight of the Phoenix (1965).

Essentially they might spend a lot of the movie trying to cobble together the remaining bits of Enterprise to build an escape-ship. The finished vessel might end up as that 'NX look-a-like' we see in the trailer.

I'd fancy watching *that* film :)

Advertisement