Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - Heavy Rainfall 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Bandon Flood Early Warning System has issued an Orange Serious flooding warning based on predictive data from the water level at Bandon Bridge.

It's current at 1.9m. "Serious" flooding begins at 2.35m.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

I'm wondering about the rain gauge too.
    I'm about 7-8 miles n of Finner as the crow flies bang on the coast. So far however my gauge is only reading 24mm in the 24hrs to midday. Shouldn't be such a huge discrepancy. My gauge must be faulty.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Definitely breaking up a bit. Just light drizzle now. I am going to walk the dogs by the sea :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

this is good radar site slightly cantered on the uk though,.

mad the line in the UK the north getting drenched and the south is bone dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm starting to worry now, my street is slowly filling with water. The council is using tanks pulled by tractors to get rid of water but they can't keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm starting to worry now, my street is slowly filling with water. The council is using tanks pulled by tractors to get rid of water but they can't keep up.

Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Digital age. Didn't happen if there are no pics

Nabber wrote: »
    Digital age. Didn't happen if there are no pics
    I tried but was facing a galeforce wind. I'm now soaked and so is my phone
    The drains are old and there's been talk for years that they need to be replaced. The water is coming from behind the houses where there's a ditch and a swamp

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

FWVT wrote: »
    24-hr rainfall up to midday today.

370747.PNG

Where did that image come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

The river Moy just outside Swinford in Mayo is nearly breaching the 5 metre mark.

cloonacannana%20water%20level_zpsnlctue64.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

mayo.mick wrote: »
    The river Moy just outside Swinford in Mayo is nearly breaching the 5 metre mark.

cloonacannana%20water%20level_zpsnlctue64.jpg

**** my parents live on the banks of a tributary to the moy and when the moy floods so does it. Comparatively how high is 5m in comparison to other high water events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Villain wrote: »
    Where did that image come from?

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/google_nav?lang=en

Select PRC4 in the synop line

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Bandon Flood Early Warning System has issued an Orange Serious flooding warning based on predictive data from the water level at Bandon Bridge.

It's current at 1.9m. "Serious" flooding begins at 2.35m.

Its now upgraded to a Red flood warning. (according to the text alert system)

**** my parents live on the banks of a tributary to the moy and when the moy floods so does it. Comparatively how high is 5m in comparison to other high water events?

I'm not too sure what height before it bursts the banks, I'd say its not too far off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Discodog wrote: »
    Definitely breaking up a bit. Just light drizzle now. I am going to walk the dogs by the sea :pac:

The rain here is now light but travelling at 40 mph it really stings. The shore is covered in sea foam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

pauldry wrote: »
    Claremorris 69.8mm
    Finner 52mm
    Knock 51mm
    Sligo 48mm

Where are you getting these numbers please?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Longboard wrote: »
    Its now upgraded to a Red flood warning. (according to the text alert system)

I see that yeah. It's at 2.01m now. Not sure enough rain fell over that area for it to get to the red warning level though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Feale is most flooded in the last 12 years by some way. Will post pics when I work out how to

370756.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo is my rain gauge

The rest are ogimet ranking website

24hr%20rain%20total%205th%20Dec%202015_zpsmzyovczj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I think Wicklow Weather's rain gauge might be reading slightly off :Dhttp://www.wicklowweather.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Odd we don't have a floodwatch system like the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Lashing down in Tralee.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

44.6mm for event so far in Ardfert, a lot of land beginning to flood locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

pauldry wrote: »
    Sligo is my rain gauge

The rest are ogimet ranking website

Can you give me the exact Ogimet link, that site is a bit convoluted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

44.6mm for event so far in Ardfert, a lot of land beginning to flood locally.
    that all?
    80.6 mm in Galway City since 1500 Friday

I see that yeah. It's at 2.01m now. Not sure enough rain fell over that area for it to get to the red warning level though.
    this is the Sally (or Dirty) river in Dunmanway. It's a tributary of the Bandon. It flows from Castle Donovan into the Bandon just below Dunmanway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nowhere nearly as bad today as i expected, we had far heavier rain all through Thursday than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

Finn Park ballybofey now resembles a lake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Having been out and about for the last few hours in West Limerick, I can report that there is surface water lodged on numerous roads and minor flooding evident.

I'm also getting reports of road flooding that's impassable to general traffic. 4WD, lorries etc can pass with care.

Fire brigade responding to road flooding at Castlematrix in Co. Limerick. Two units present.

Advertisement