Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

awec wrote: »
    Can you store the details these days or do you need to use the card reader every time still?

Card reader, only on the website (not the mobile app), and you have to enter the full account details again each time.

Overall AIB is fine but this aspect of their remote banking is particularly backwards.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bob24 wrote: »
    Card reader, only on the website (not the mobile app), and you have to enter the full account details again each time.

Overall AIB is fine but this aspect of their remote banking is particularly backwards.

Yea I think this is enough to prevent me picking one of these accounts up. :(

It's odd that their international payments feature is so bad cause usually they are pretty much ahead of the curve when it comes to the tech in banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You can reuse the details if you've done it before. It's just enter your PIN on the card reader and copy an 8 digit number to the site, no messing around with entering account numbers and amounts into the reader, still a pain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Anyone getting declined transaction notifications from "yongtaifangdichan j". I have gotten three in the past hour and have locked the card.

Looks like someone got my card number from a data breach somewhere.

They really should have 24 hour support as theses declined transactions do not show in the app, only a push notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Yea I think this is enough to prevent me picking one of these accounts up. :(

It's odd that their international payments feature is so bad cause usually they are pretty much ahead of the curve when it comes to the tech in banking.

I use it for my monthly spending money and to do so I set up a standing order from my aib account for the day after pay day. That's then my budget for discretional spending for the month. Works well for me and you only have to enter the information once.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    You can reuse the details if you've done it before. It's just enter your PIN on the card reader and copy an 8 digit number to the site, no messing around with entering account numbers and amounts into the reader, still a pain though.

Thanks I’ll try that next time. Maybe I missed it because I am not transferring to N26 too often, but silly question: how do you reuse the details? (unless I am mistaken it is not possible to save a payees list for non-Irish accounts)

Thanks I’ll try that next time. Maybe I missed it because I am not transferring to N26 too often, but silly question: how do you reuse the details? (unless I am mistaken it is not possible to save a payees list for non-Irish accounts)
    In the payment log on the website there should be a circular arrow next to previous payments that you can click on. I must try setting up a standing order like source said, I do exactly the same thing for discretionary spending but was under the impression you couldn't set up a standing order for international payments.

Agree. I am wondering if they are making it harder on purpose to discourage Irish customers from opening accounts in other SEPA countries and block competition.

All other Irish/EU banks I’ve dealt with recently are treating SEPA transfers in the exact same way regardless of being to a bank in the same country or to another SEPA country.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So I see N26 has a Spaces feature, is this just a name for money that you set aside? Does it have anything like Revolut's Vaults?

I opened a Revolut account last week but the lack of Apple Pay is just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

So I see N26 has a Spaces feature, is this just a name for money that you set aside? Does it have anything like Revolut's Vaults?

I opened a Revolut account last week but the lack of Apple Pay is just annoying.

Similar idea with different functionalitiy. Doesn't round up your purchases like vaults does, so it's much more like a traditional saving account.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    In the payment log on the website there should be a circular arrow next to previous payments that you can click on. I must try setting up a standing order like source said, I do exactly the same thing for discretionary spending but was under the impression you couldn't set up a standing order for international payments.

Thanks, I hadn’t noticed it before but just checked the website and it is there indeed - good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I'm sure this has been asked here a good few times, but I can't search the thread on mobile.

How long does it usually take for the card to arrive with standard delivery? I'm heading off on holidays in about 3 weeks and I want to make sure I have the card before then. If it can take longer than 3 weeks I'll get the express delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Normally get it a week after ordering. Order Wednesday and it tends to come following Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I received an email today about providing a tax number, I have not been using the card long and it's just a card for personal use, can I just ignore this?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

HI Xenji, This is your PPS number that they are looking for, for identification purposes I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Xenji wrote: »
    I received an email today about providing a tax number, I have not been using the card long and it's just a card for personal use, can I just ignore this?

No you can not, not providing your PPS number (which is our tax number) will result in your account being closed.

They require the PPS number as they are obliged to inform revenue of your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It must of been a batch email they sent out, I went to do it this morning and I can see Ireland is down already.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Apologies if I'm missing something on line and in the app but does N26 allow you to make adhoc SEPA payments from your account or is it standing orders only and if so where do you do them?

Apologies if I'm missing something on line and in the app but does N26 allow you to make adhoc SEPA payments from your account or is it standing orders only and if so where do you do them?
    You can do one off SEPA transfers through the + symbol in the app and select transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭corminators

Is it possible to get a UK bank account (uk sort code) with these guys if you're based in ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Is it possible to get a UK bank account (uk sort code) with these guys if you're based in ireland?

No. DE IBAN only.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

So I applied for an n26 account. Just one question. If I go travelling and use the contactless, I won't be charged a fee, will I?

_Godot_ wrote: »
    So I applied for an n26 account. Just one question. If I go travelling and use the contactless, I won't be charged a fee, will I?

The fee structure is the same regardless of how you use the card (magnetic stripe, chip and pin, contactless, or mobile payment).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

_Godot_ wrote: »

just pay with you card and you'll be fine, no charge.

if however you take a non euro currency out at a atm, you will be charged a 1.7% conversion fee (a very competitive rate considering they give you the mastercard FX rate).

This goes for the free account, if you have a Black/metal account, there is no conversion fee.

For info, you can't use an non-irish issued card to top-up on the Tesco mobile website. I tried using my N26 card and it was rejected. Raised it with Tesco on here and above was their response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

For info, you can't use an non-irish issued card to top-up on the Tesco mobile website. I tried using my N26 card and it was rejected. Raised it with Tesco on here and above was their response.

Isn't that in breach of the EU sepa legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

kenmc wrote: »

Tesco are british. They don't care about the EU. Didn't you know that ? :p

/M

kenmc wrote: »

If they are indeed declining Non-Irish European card, yes it is against the regulation.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

If they are indeed declining Non-Irish European card, yes it is against the regulation.

They're far from being the only ones though. State-owned Bus Éireann is another case in point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

N26 is in trouble with the German Financial Regulator:
    N26 GmbH: Order on the prevention of money laundering and terrorist financing
    On May 20, 2019 BaFin on the prevention of money laundering and terrorist financing has issued an order against N26 Bank GmbH to take appropriate internal safety measures and to comply with general Customer Due Diligence (CDD) obligations. The order is issued on the basis of sections 6 (8) and 51 (2) sentence 1 of the German Money Laundering Act (GwG).

In detail it is ordered that N26 Bank GmbH must

remove backlogs in IT monitoring,
    establish process descriptions and workflows in writing,
    reidentify a specified number of existing customers.
    These measures in each case must be implemented within a specified period of time.

Furthermore N26 Bank GmbH has to ensure the existence of an adequate personnel and technical-organisational equipment in order to comply with its obligations under money laundering law.

The publication is based on section 57 GwG.

The decision has legal force since 20 May 2019-

Source: BaFin

Advertisement