Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Bob24 wrote: »
    KBC is probably the closest, and all the others I’ve used have serious usability gaps.

Permanent TSB, while generally being quite good have limits that make you weep. 700 EUR per day atm withdrawal limit. Can't remember what the max purchase limit is, but I have hit that, too, a few times. Merchant type withdrawals is max 150 EUR and can be increased to 300 per day, but not higher.

Withdrawal limit per day with N26: 2500 EUR. Daily payment limit 5k EUR.

The limits that some of the brick and mortar banks impose have nothing to do with "protecting you".

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Marlow wrote: »
    Permanent TSB, while generally being quite good have limits that make you weep. 700 EUR per day atm withdrawal limit. Can't remember what the max purchase limit is, but I have hit that, too, a few times. Merchant type withdrawals is max 150 EUR and can be increased to 300 per day, but not higher.

The limits that some of the brick and mortar banks impose have nothing to do with "protecting you".

/M

I actually don’t mind those limits too much (but of course that’s just my use case and letting everyone set their own limit in the app is better). Having said that I’ve been using PTSB until recently for a joint account, but the lack of mobile payments and the slightly dated app make it a no go for someone who wants the latest banking technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

What currency do you choose when adding N26 card to your UK Amazon account EU or GBP?
    I chose GBP as I want N26 to do the conversion but I am unsure if it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

That is what I do (GBP) and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

That is what I do (GBP) and it works.

Sound, thanks for the quick reply. Is the conversion rate online similar ish to Revolut?

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »

/M

Even a 5k limit is far too low, BOI are the only bank who do this properly (afaik): No daily payment limit with the debit card. I

The low online transfer limits of between 5 and 10k from all the banks is also an awful pain this day and age.

Even a 5k limit is far too low, BOI are the only bank who do this properly (afaik): No daily payment limit with the debit card. I

The low online transfer limits of between 5 and 10k from all the banks is also an awful pain this day and age.

Oh. I do not disagree. But it is better than most banks. And honestly
    .. BOI has A LOT of differrent other issues.

/M

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Trying to move from BOI to N26, anyone know if you can pay Bill's directly from N26 (such as a BOI credit card).

It asks for IBAN but BOI will need my card number on the payment so they know where to apply the finds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Trying to move from BOI to N26, anyone know if you can pay Bill's directly from N26 (such as a BOI credit card).

It asks for IBAN but BOI will need my card number on the payment so they know where to apply the finds.

Usually the card number is put in the reference field.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Generally there's no difference between making a transfer to a bank account and including a specific reference number in the recipient's reference field, and using a bank's bill pay feature. You'd have to ask the institution what reference you should include with the payment.

I can pay my AIB credit card from a different Irish bank using this method, but for some reason they reject payments from international accounts. No harm (if you can spare a couple of days without the money) trying and if BoI reject it they reject it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

user1842 wrote: »
    Usually the card number is put in the reference field.

Second this. Probably quicker transferring a fiver and finding out that way than trying to get an answer out of the banks !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

TheChizler wrote: »

I can pay my AIB credit card from a different Irish bank using this method, but for some reason they reject payments from international accounts. No harm (if you can spare a couple of days without the money) trying and if BoI reject it they reject it.

On what basis are AIB rejecting payments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

I pay my BOI card from N26 without issue. Both direct debit and once off payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

McGaggs wrote: »
    On what basis are AIB rejecting payments?
    That's all they told me, that they don't accept non Irish IBANs for receiving credit card payments from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Fair play to N26. Received an email from this morning at 7am saying I didn't have enough for an upcoming direct debit. It's for the LPT. I had the money in a space and had planned to move it to the main account but just forgot. Don't think my Irish bank would do this? €3 charge for an unpaid DD, which I think is much cheaper than traditional banks anyway.

Wheety wrote: »
    Fair play to N26. Received an email from this morning at 7am saying I didn't have enough for an upcoming direct debit. It's for the LPT. I had the money in a space and had planned to move it to the main account but just forgot. Don't think my Irish bank would do this? €3 charge for an unpaid DD, which I think is much cheaper than traditional banks anyway.

You’re right, your Irish bank wouldn’t do that although it is technically possible and easy as direct debit a are usually presented be the debitor to the bank a few days before payment is due.

I actually personally know someone who was working for an Irish bank as a contractor before, and he once told me he suggested to do exactly that (scanning all pending direct debits every day and send a notification to customers who don’t have enough funds to cover any imminent DD. Apparently the answer from his manager was: why would we spend any time doing something which will cost us money?

Danske Bank (aka National Irish Bank) was actually ringing me up, when there wasn't enough funds in the account to pay for a direct debit.

They would also let the direct debit go out and as long as I brought the account back in balance before midnight on the day, the direct debit would not default.

They're gone now ... so that's not an option. But they were the only "irish" bank doing this to my knowledge.

And yes .. under the old system, direct debits were presented 14 days ahead. Now it's just 2-3 days. But that means, they still know ahead.

In Denmark, PBS (the company running the danish direct debit system) sends you out a letter every month ... or used to .. probably electronic now .. that tells you what direct debits and amounts are due throughout the month and on what dates.

/M

In the AIB app you can actually also see whichever direct debits have peen presented to the bank with the amount and collection date. No automated warning though.

Most payees seem to present 2-3 days before the date, but for others it’s much longer (for exemple for me the Electric Ireland one shows up around 10 days before it’s due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Sono

Tried to get my employer to pay salary into my N26 account and they refused saying it has to be an Irish account that they pay into.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Sono wrote: »
    Tried to get my employer to pay salary into my N26 account and they refused saying it has to be an Irish account that they pay into.

Mmm am about to ask mine (a foreign multi national not that should mean anything as payroll is outsourced to EY) will see how it goes.

• Advertisement

Mmm am about to ask mine (a foreign multi national not that should mean anything as payroll is outsourced to EY) will see how it goes.

I’d be surprised if they don’t accept it.

Would be pretty bad publicity for EY not to be compliant with financial regulations :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Today I tried to use my N26 card for the second time to activate my pin ( the first one didn't work so I changed it and was told to use the new pin thru non-NFC transaction to activate it) I was paying for some shopping in Aldi at the till...it was declined, tried it again, declined, says 'PIN BLOCKED' Fair enough, and used another debit card instead. However when I checked my phone a few minutes later, I got a notification that the payment was successful, and the charge showed up on my N26 app TWICE! What should I do?? It's Sunday so there doesn't seem to be any agent to chat with on the app. I presume this is just a mistake and will be reverted back in a few days? I have the receipt and all anyway for proof and it is indeed indicated as card declined two times. One thing kinda annoying about the interface on the N26 app is you can't tell if a transaction is pending or not grrr. Sorry for the long read.

Not sure what happened but I doubt you were actually charged 3 times. The till would not charge again if the first one was successful. I'd say it'll revert in a few days.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

camz09 wrote: »
    Today I tried to use my N26 card for the second time to activate my pin ( the first one didn't work so I changed it and was told to use the new pin thru non-NFC transaction to activate it)

Most POS terminals in Ireland only check the PIN that's written to the card (rather than communicating with the issuing bank to check the card's PIN) so a POS transaction can't activate your PIN.

To activate your PIN, you need to make an ATM transaction. If you don't actually want to withdraw cash, just select an amount greater than what's in your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Quackster wrote: »
    Most POS terminals in Ireland only check the PIN that's written to the card (rather than communicating with the issuing bank to check the card's PIN) so a POS transaction can't activate your PIN.

To activate your PIN, you need to make an ATM transaction. If you don't actually want to withdraw cash, just select an amount greater than what's in your account.

Really great advice about how to prompt a transaction without withdrawing cash. Must remember that.

Do you have to carry out a transaction to activate it? Could you not put in your card and pin and then select cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Quackster wrote: »

Thanks! Yeah just got in touch with them and was told the same. You don't need to withdraw, you can just cancel.

Hopefully the refund on my charges will all be sorted in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Lads, could someone hazzard a guess at what's going on here?
    I'm in the UK and my card isn't being accepted anywhere.
    Getting different messages from different card readers in various places like, 'card not detected','insert card'(when card already inserted) and 'remove card'.

I'm with N26 from the start and never had this problem before.
    Not sure if card is working back home in Ireland as I only use it online there.
    Will check when I get home tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

blade1 wrote: »
    Lads, could someone hazzard a guess at what's going on here?
    I'm in the UK and my card isn't being accepted anywhere.
    Getting different messages from different card readers in various places like, 'card not detected','insert card'(when card already inserted) and 'remove card'.

I'm with N26 from the start and never had this problem before.
    Not sure if card is working back home in Ireland as I only use it online there.
    Will check when I get home tomorrow evening.
    Did you ever activate it in an ATM?

Try going to an ATM and either check your balance or try withdraw a later sum of money than in your balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Dardania wrote: »
    Did you ever activate it in an ATM?

Try going to an ATM and either check your balance or try withdraw a later sum of money than in your balance.

I've been using it several times a year in the UK no problem.
    It's been activated since I got it when N26 started taking customers in Ireland.
    Also checked to see had I the limit set low but no,that's not the problem.
    Didn't get to an ATM yet but will in an hour or 2.

Advertisement