Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    I've been using it several times a year in the UK no problem.
    It's been activated since I got it when N26 started taking customers in Ireland.
    Also checked to see had I the limit set low but no,that's not the problem.
    Didn't get to an ATM yet but will in an hour or 2.

Just tried ATM there and doesn't work either.
    Getting 'cant carry out transaction'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I know you said you've used it in the UK before but have you disabled payments abroad in the app?

bennyx_o wrote: »
    I know you said you've used it in the UK before but have you disabled payments abroad in the app?
    No everything is enabled.
    Also tried Google pay and it doesn't work via that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

No everything is enabled.
    Also tried Google pay and it doesn't work via that either.

It sounds like your card is physically damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

markpb wrote: »
    It sounds like your card is physically damaged.

The card being damaged wouldn't affect Google Pay. There's something else wrong there. Best to engage support.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    The card being damaged wouldn't affect Google Pay. There's something else wrong there. Best to engage support.

/M

Yeah, I will in the morning.
    I'd be well goosed if I didn't have my boi card as back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

Marlow wrote: »

/M

You're right, I misread that as contactless for some reason.

Ok,was onto N26 via chat first for a half an hour where they said they'll reset the card,I then receive a message card block(part of the process)and then it should work.
    So off I go to a restaurant and attempt to pay and it still doesn't work.

So onto chat again for almost an hour and through the same rigmarole again.
    Outcome anyway seems the chip must be damaged and they are sending out a new card foc.

There is a little split on the card by the chip alright whether that played a part or not,I don't know.
    The cards are flimsy though,as mine only gets used when I'm away.

I asked how would chip damage cause Google pay not to work and I was told Google would receive info of chip damage.
    Sounds a bit far fetched, no?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

My card completely split in two horizontally, just above the chip, which killed the contactless function but it's otherwise working normally (with the help of some sellotape). The plastic they use for the card seems prone to splitting like this but that shouldn't affect the chip.

If you're completely stuck and all else fails, an electronic transfer to Revolut or any other current account you have would be the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Quackster wrote: »
    My card completely split in two horizontally, just above the chip, which killed the contactless function but it's otherwise working normally (with the help of some sellotape). The plastic they use for the card seems prone to splitting like this but that shouldn't affect the chip.

If you're completely stuck and all else fails, an electronic transfer to Revolut or any other current account you have would be the only option.

Or boon - straight away wish get an Apple Pay account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ravenlunatik

Sono wrote: »
    Tried to get my employer to pay salary into my N26 account and they refused saying it has to be an Irish account that they pay into.

Same. Blaming payroll and business banking software. Require me to have an Irish account, solely that I can receive salary in and tx it to n26.

But then I find this doc, remove the spaces
    www. ecb .europa. eu / paym / retpaym/ shared/ pdf/ SEPA_e-brochure_2013.pdf

Page 26, annex:
    "Free choice of payment locations: payers cannot be restricted in choosing from which account in Europe they would like to make credit transfers or direct debits in euro. Neither can payees be forced to receive credit transfers or direct debits in euro in an account held in a specific country"

Will do my best to avoid having an Irish account for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Same. Blaming payroll and business banking software. Require me to have an Irish account, solely that I can receive salary in and tx it to n26.

But then I find this doc, remove the spaces
    www. ecb .europa. eu / paym / retpaym/ shared/ pdf/ SEPA_e-brochure_2013.pdf

Page 26, annex:
    "Free choice of payment locations: payers cannot be restricted in choosing from which account in Europe they would like to make credit transfers or direct debits in euro. Neither can payees be forced to receive credit transfers or direct debits in euro in an account held in a specific country"

Will do my best to avoid having an Irish account for no reason.

The exact law they are breaking is this:

REGULATION (EU) No 260/2012 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 14 March 2012 establishing technical and business requirements for credit transfers and direct debits in euro and amending Regulation (EC) No 924/2009

Article 9
    Payment accessibility
    1. A payer making a credit transfer to a payee holding a payment account located within the Union shall not specify the Member State in which that payment account is to be located, provided that the payment account is reachable in accordance with Article 3.
    2. A payee accepting a credit transfer or using a direct debit to collect funds from a payer holding a payment account located within the Union shall not specify the Member State in which that payment account is to be located, provided that the payment account is reachable in accordance with Article 3.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2012:094:0022:0037:EN:PDF

user1842 wrote: »
    The exact law they are breaking is this:

REGULATION (EU) No 260/2012 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 14 March 2012 establishing technical and business requirements for credit transfers and direct debits in euro and amending Regulation (EC) No 924/2009

Article 9
    Payment accessibility
    1. A payer making a credit transfer to a payee holding a payment account located within the Union shall not specify the Member State in which that payment account is to be located, provided that the payment account is reachable in accordance with Article 3.
    2. A payee accepting a credit transfer or using a direct debit to collect funds from a payer holding a payment account located within the Union shall not specify the Member State in which that payment account is to be located, provided that the payment account is reachable in accordance with Article 3.

Yep, they've seen that too. Apparently ibec even say it's acceptable that employees are required to have an Irish account ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Has anyone had any luck getting eir to accept n26 direct debits? Went into the shop today and was rudely told that I was mistaken in there being a requirement to not discriminate based on account origin because 'how could a multi-million euro company being breaking the law'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Employers are a very problematic one.

While technically it’s illegal to refuse to pay someone to a non Irish IBAN, it is against the person’s self interest to fight it so there is no leverage.

Insisting about it is likely to have people known to their management/HR as the annoying one who’s insisting on getting paid abroad, with possible bad consequences in terms of career progression of work relationships - no one has any interest in risking that for the sake of SEPA regulation enforcement.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Employers are a very problematic one.

While technically it’s illegal to refuse to pay someone to a non Irish IBAN, it is against the person’s self interest to fight it so there is no leverage.

Insisting about it is likely to make people known to their management/HR as the annoying one who’s insisting on getting paid abroad, with possible bad consequences in terms of career progression of world relationships - no one has in interest in risking that for the same of SEPA regulation enforcement.

that's exactly the problem, how far do you push

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Mo14 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any luck getting eir to accept n26 direct debits? Went into the shop today and was rudely told that I was mistaken in there being a requirement to not discriminate based on account origin because 'how could a multi-million euro company being breaking the law'.

It can be done, but you need to download a form and post it to them:
    https://www.eir.ie/signupfordirectdebit/

There is a long-standing discussion about this requirement that Irish Companies have to require a written form for non-irish bank accounts. Their stance is backed by the Banking & Payments Federation Ireland and unfortunately the way out government has chosen to implement the regulation does not back the more consumer-friendly approach other countries have or the spirit of the regulation has. Never mind enforcement. In some countries breaching the regulation is costly, in Ireland it's the usual government don't care.

It can be done, but you need to download a form and post it to them:
    https://www.eir.ie/signupfordirectdebit/

There is a long-standing discussion about this requirement that Irish Companies have to require a written form for non-irish bank accounts. Their stance is backed by the Banking & Payments Federation Ireland and unfortunately the way out government has chosen to implement the regulation does not back the more consumer-friendly approach other countries have or the spirit of the regulation has. Never mind enforcement. In some countries breaching the regulation is costly, in Ireland it's the usual government don't care.

Thanks! I should have mentioned that I am trying to set up a new account. The reps on twitter are being slightly more helpful by suggesting I sign up for the account with an Irish account and then change it using the form above. I don't think this is a great solution though and will probably try different companies instead. I will do my bit in reporting them though - not that it'll help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Mo14 wrote: »
    Thanks! I should have mentioned that I am trying to set up a new account. The reps on twitter are being slightly more helpful by suggesting I sign up for the account with an Irish account and then change it using the form above. I don't think this is a great solution though and will probably try different companies instead. I will do my bit in reporting them though - not that it'll help.

It might:

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/contact/contact-us-form/

The CCPC are the competent authority for businesses for REGULATION (EU) No 260/2012 in Ireland.

^ sent them a mail, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

user1842 wrote: »
    It might:

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/contact/contact-us-form/

The CCPC are the competent authority for businesses for REGULATION (EU) No 260/2012 in Ireland.

Don't get your hopes up. They will send you some generic answer and nothing will ever happen.

Your best bet is to set up the account with an Irish account or credit card and tha to swap with paper mandate.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

Just finished to chat with an operator.

I need to update the mobile number. They ask me the 10 digit number below my name on card, the passport number and the amount of the 5th last transaction.

Looks like that the transactions they see don't match what I see on the app/web!! how's that possible? And because of that I get stuck!

Has anyone had the same issue? I've sent an e-mail to support@n26.com and really want to see what happens...

pasquale83 wrote: »
    Just finished to chat with an operator.

I need to update the mobile number. They ask me the 10 digit number below my name on card, the passport number and the amount of the 5th last transaction.

Looks like that the transactions they see don't match what I see on the app/web!! how's that possible? And because of that I get stuck!

Has anyone had the same issue? I've sent an e-mail to support@n26.com and really want to see what happens...
    I was onto them yesterday and the 5 transactions on my app were correct.

I'm not using the account since August last so maybe it's because of that?

Anyway they're really rigid and don't want to listen to reason...I might close the account if they make my life difficult. I keep it only because I use it when going abroad in a non EU country to avail of the good exchange rate.

Also if I close it I cannot open it again for the next 5 years due to an unbelievable German law...

Has anyone made any chargeback request with N26?

An online retailer incorrectly charged my card (not fraud, the retailer’s mistake due to a bug on their website) and is dragging its feet to solve the issue.

I talked to N26 and they were helpful to help me file a request, but they wouldn’t give me a timeline. Any idea of how long this type of thing usually takes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Bob24 wrote: »
    Has anyone made any chargeback request with N26?

An online retailer incorrectly charged my card (not fraud, the retailer’s mistake due to a bug on their website) and is dragging its feet to solve the issue.

I talked to N26 and they were helpful to help me file a request, but they wouldn’t give me a timeline. Any idea of how long this type of thing usually takes?

Mine was about 3 weeks from submitted to getting the refund.

Mine was about 3 weeks from submitted to getting the refund.

Cheers, glad to hear it doesn't take too long.

OK I found out where the problem was with my verification.

Since I don't use the account regularly, the transaction order on the website/app and the one from the PDF statement don't match.

So I was telling the 5th last from the website and they where looking at the ones on the PDF.

If someone sues the account regularly the two should match. Anyway don't think this is fair as I've spent 1 week to realize the issue myself and from them I got only closed chats and no help from the support center.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Is there a significant rise in conversion rate on weekends on N26 like Revolut? I was planning on buying a ticket that's in USD and was gonna use N26 MasterCard, would it be better to do it on a weekday? Can't find info on the app. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Tried to get cashback at Dunnes today using my N26 account - wouldn't do it, not sure if it's a Dunnes issue or N26.

Advertisement