Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in California

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Increasingly looking like a link to terrorism.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/03/us/san-bernardino-shooting/

And its blatantly obvious he and his wife were planning this for a long long time. It was just a case of when not if.

I read online they had 6000 rounds in total which only cost them about 2000 dollars. And they bought the gun from a shop that was last week advertising Black Friday deals on guns.

But hey, no need for gun control!

I agree that it does look like they were planning it for a long time.

I have one question for you. What do you consider to be gun control?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

BattleCorp wrote: »

Prob get torn to shreds for this and not trying to be condescending.

Not giving Americans free access to firearms. No other country has this problem with mass shootings. It can't just be the Amount of guns its cultural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

kettlehead wrote: »
    Good man, Billy. It's all whiteys fault! Jesus wept.
    No, it's an issue caused by, and suffered from, by society at large. You do realise that a poor white person in the USA is more likely to commit a crime than a wealthy black or Hispanic person, right?

But for some it's easier to just say "their skin colour makes them worse people" I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Not giving Americans free access to firearms. No other country has this problem with mass shootings. It can't just be the Amount of guns its cultural.

Not sure I'd agree. America isn't even the worst country in the world for shootings, although it is bad for mass shootings.

Countries like South Africa, El Salvador, Mexico, Guatamala I would say definitely have more shootings per head of population and possibly even more in total than the US.

Anywhere you have easy availability of guns, you are going to have high gun crime. Look at the Pistorious case in South Africa. Hot heads with guns often settle arguments with their guns. Hot heads without guns settle arguments in less lethal ways.

Not sure I'd agree. America isn't even the worst country in the world for shootings, although it is bad for mass shootings.

Countries like South Africa, El Salvador, Mexico, Guatamala I would say definitely have more shootings per head of population and possibly even more in total than the US.

Anywhere you have easy availability of guns, you are going to have high gun crime. Look at the Pistorious case in South Africa. Hot heads with guns often settle arguments with their guns. Hot heads without guns settle arguments in less lethal ways.

I don't agree no other western democracy has this problem with Mass shootings. I think we need to separate Gun crime I.e. Gangs and alike from People just shooting up the place. No where else has that problem. its extremely rare in stable democracy's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,997 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The more violent the US becomes and the more of these shootings that happen will actually in a way lessen the chance for gun regulation or control or whatever you want to call it. Even today the Ulster County Police over there released a press release asking for all citizens to exercise their right to carry arms in public to make society safer. Gun control will never happen. The Second Amendment will only be reinforced and the gun lobby over there was strong enough already making Obama's pleas sound like very thin tired rhetoric at this stage. The fact you can walk down the street will a military issue automatic rifle... madness. The world is only going to get more violent and bloody and unjust and this I think is just the start of it. The complexities of the relationships between the middle east, Russia and the west is something that will take a hell of a lot of diplomacy so solve if the will is there ahead of the urge to fight that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

BattleCorp wrote: »

I think the European model of gun control works very well, particularly in Ireland. Basically the less guns you have the better. That means though criminals shouldn't have access to them either.

I do agree with darkpagandeath that there is an element of cultural in the American case, ie always have to own more, bigger, better than the neighbour. So more guns, bigger guns, more powerful and so on.

Americans will never go for European style gun control. The best you'd hope for is allowing hand guns. Its the high powered automatic weapons that are responsible for most of the mass shootings in the US. Not sure their constitution said anything about the right to own a glock automatic or AK47. It just said the right to bear arms, so maybe they need to tighten up the interpretation of that.

I think the European model of gun control works very well, particularly in Ireland. Basically the less guns you have the better. That means though criminals shouldn't have access to them either.

I do agree with darkpagandeath that there is an element of cultural in the American case, ie always have to own more, bigger, better than the neighbour. So more guns, bigger guns, more powerful and so on.

Americans will never go for European style gun control. The best you'd hope for is allowing hand guns. Its the high powered automatic weapons that are responsible for most of the mass shootings in the US. Not sure their constitution said anything about the right to own a glock automatic or AK47. It just said the right to bear arms, so maybe they need to tighten up the interpretation of that.

Its a nightmare of interpretation set against the need to form a militia if needed. You could interpret it as civilians having the exact same kit and the military so they could fight them. You know access to cruise missiles warplanes all that if you could afford them. It's all on a backdrop of being able to topple the government if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Most shootings by far utilise handguns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Virginia Tech - 32 dead - Handguns only used
    Luby's Shooting - 23 dead - Handguns only used
    Binghamton Shooting - 13 dead - Handguns only used
    Charleston Shooting - 9 dead - Handguns only used
    Umpqua Community College shooting - 9 dead - Handguns only used

There's a lot of talk about automatic rifles, seems that the perpetrators can do plenty of damage without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

Billy86 wrote: »
    No, it's an issue caused by, and suffered from, by society at large. You do realise that a poor white person in the USA is more likely to commit a crime than a wealthy black or Hispanic person, right?

But for some it's easier to just say "their skin colour makes them worse people" I guess.

The ten poorest counties in America are in Appalachia, a predominantly white region. The region has the lowest crime rates in America. White people make up 42 percent of America's poor, black people about 28 percent. Yet, even though they only make up 13% of the overall population, the majority of murders and other violent crimes are committed by black people.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/420565/charleston-shooting-obama-race-crime

Good try though. It's easier just to blame all other groups shortcomings and failings on whitey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yep, you are right. It's not just the guns. It's loads of things.

People calling for guns to be removed don't really understand the culture over there.

Suggesting that Yanks ban all guns is akin to trying to ban drink and fags here. Aint gonna happen.

And even if guns were banned, there'd still be hundreds of millions of guns that wouldn't be handed in.

The ten poorest counties in America are in Appalachia, a predominantly white region. The region has the lowest crime rates in America.
    Appalachia has a population density of 47 people per square kilometer - about the same as Westmeath. Trying to compare that against cities is frankly ridiculously disingenuous, and incredibly transparent. Funny enough though, Appalachia has some of the blackest (and poorest) areas in the US, and they also are well below the national average for crime rates. Funny, eh? It's almost as if poor people are less likely to commit crime when not living in cities, surrounded by hundreds of thousands of richer people they don't know at all, flaunting things that they will likely never otherwise have.
    White people make up 42 percent of America's poor, black people about 28 percent.
    You brought up something interesting in your post by the way - black people make up 13% of the US population, about 41.5mn, and of those over 13mn live in poverty. In other words, if you are born black in the USA, there is a 1-in-3 chance of living in poverty. The USA has 197.7 white people, of which 19.7mn live in poverty... so if you are white, there is a 1-in-10 chance you will live in poverty.

Yet you completely deny that societal issues have anything to do with this. So is it safe to assume you feel this is entirely to do with the inherent superiority of the white man? Because you really haven't offered much else to draw any other conclusion.
    Yet, even though they only make up 13% of the overall population, the majority of murders and other violent crimes are committed by black people.
    Not sure where you're getting your info from, but white people actually make up about 60% of all violent crime arrests in the USA, compared to about 37% for black people.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/article/420565/charleston-shooting-obama-race-crimeThe National Review? Hold on while I get back to you with something from Communist Weekly since you seem interested in going all the way out to the fringes with this! :pac:

Good try though. It's easier just to blame all other groups shortcomings and failings on whitey.
    So again I'll ask... what is your theory on why you think black people in the US are more prone to crime and poverty? Because right now it is just coming over as "because they're black, white people are simple better".

Surely your thought process on the matter is even a little more complete than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but white people actually make up about 60% of all violent crime arrests in the USA, compared to about 37% for black people.

Are you for real?

Let's take New York as an example, as Jared Taylor has kindly done this work recently in correcting a re-tweet of Donald Trump's (the correct stats were much worse than Trump thought):

https://twitter.com/AmRenaissance/status/669581871521669121/photo/1
    These figures are from New York City’s annual crime report. The report does not calculate crime rates for a hypothetical all-white New York City–the police chief would be fired if he did that–but it includes demographics for the city as follows: Whites: 32.8 percent, Blacks: 22.6 percent, Hispanics: 28.9 percent. To calculate the murder rate if the city were all white, you divide the percentage of arrests that are white by the white percentage of the population: 2.9 percent ÷ 32.8 percent = 8.84 percent. That results in a reduction in the crime rate of: 100 percent – 8.84 percent = 91.16 percent. [See below if you didn’t follow that.]

You can also calculate how much more likely a black or Hispanic is to be arrested for a violent crime than a white. For murder, a black is 31 times more likely and a Hispanic is 9 times more likely. A black is an astonishing 77 times more likely than a white to be arrested for a lethal or non-lethal shooting, and a Hispanic 18 times more likely. Guns are a problem alright–but the problem is overwhelmingly because of blacks and Hispanics, not whites.

http://www.amren.com/news/2015/11/what-donald-trump-should-have-tweeted/

America as a whole is 63% White. Appalachia is 83.7%. It's the poorest region within the US yet the violent crime rate for Appalachia in 2010 was lower than the national violent crime rate average by 56.76%.

White people make up 42 percent of America's poor, black people about 28 percent. Yes, proportionately black people are more likely to live in poverty but there are vastly more white people in poverty than black people.

Young black men are fourteen times likely to kill compared to young white males -
    http://ideas.time.com/2013/08/22/viewpoint-dont-ignore-race-in-christopher-lanes-murder/#ixzz2ciWBxj00

Black people commit 53% of all murder, despite being only 13% of the population - http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/table-43

Now, I don't know why they are vastly over represented in the crime stats but it's not whiteys fault like you're trying to make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The gunman had been in contact with terror suspects and may have become radicalised.

RobertKK wrote: »
    The gunman had been in contact with terror suspects and may have become radicalised.

I love the may part after being in contact with Terrorists...

America as a whole is 63% White. Appalachia is 83.7%. It's the poorest region within the US yet the violent crime rate for Appalachia in 2010 was lower than the national violent crime rate average by 56.76%.
    Again, as was pointed out this is a vastly rural area. The crime rates for black areas in Appalachia are also far below the national average. Why do you think there is a higher crime rate in Dublin than there is in Westmeath?
    White people make up 42 percent of America's poor, black people about 28 percent. Yes, proportionately black people are more likely to live in poverty but there are vastly more white people in poverty than black people.
    And as a whole in terms of population size, there are vastly more white people in the US than black people, which was already addressed. If you are born black in the US, you are more than three times more likely to be in poverty than if you are white.

But again, you seem to think this has nothing to do with socio-economic conditions and historical discrimination, and everything to do with the inherent superiority of that white man.
    Young black men are fourteen times likely to kill compared to young white males -
    http://ideas.time.com/2013/08/22/viewpoint-dont-ignore-race-in-christopher-lanes-murder/#ixzz2ciWBxj00

Black people commit 53% of all murder, despite being only 13% of the population - http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/table-43
    Again there you go on the emotive, anecdotal buzz with the Christoper Lane story.

You said "the majority of murders and other violent crimes are committed by black people." Now your own source says that white people commit just under 20% more violent crimes than black people. Feel free to just go ahead and admit you were wrong on that, rather than ignoring it which I am assuming you will do instead.

And also as per your source, white people (who make up 63% of the US population) commit 68.9% of all crimes. Yes, white people are indeed also over represented when it comes to US crime statistics. Strange how you seem to have overlooked that?
    Now, I don't know why they are vastly over represented in the crime stats but it's not whiteys fault like you're trying to make out.
    It is a larger societal issue, which you seem happy to ignore. These issues were in large part caused by over a century of cultural oppression that allowed white people to be the only people at the highest echelons of society (and almost always, even anywhere near them), which you seem happy to ignore. This has led to ghettos in areas with few-to-no facilities or activities for young males which never leads to anything good, which you seem happy to ignore. This is only made worse by the fact that the educational system has huge issues over there and the schools in poor urban areas are often massively underfunded, which you seem happy to ignore.

Thankfully these issues have gone some of the way to being fixed, and in turn, crime black crime has gone down pretty much across the board. But these types of situation never get fixed overnight, and there is no easy fix for this.
    In the last 20 years in particular, the FBI reports, rates of crime among African American youth have plummeted: All offenses (down 47%), drug offenses (down 50%), property offenses (down 51%), serious Part I offenses (down 53%), assault (down 59%), robbery (down 60%), all violent offenses (down 60%), rape (down 66%), and murder (down 82%).

You clearly have a very strong opinion on this, so you should have a opinion as to why. An opinion without reasoning is pretty worthless, after all. So I will pose it to you again - why do you think are black people more likely on a per capita basis to commit crimes or face poverty than white people in the US?

Black people commit the majority of murders - 52.2%. Also, the FBI stats lump the Hispanics in with whites. You will note their omission on the table. Don't know why they do that, but there we go. So no, whites are not over represented.

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Let's take New York as an example, as Jared Taylor has kindly done this work recently in correcting a re-tweet of Donald Trump's (the correct stats were much worse than Trump thought):

https://twitter.com/AmRenaissance/status/669581871521669121/photo/1

http://www.amren.com/news/2015/11/what-donald-trump-should-have-tweeted/
    Make that 58.7% of all violent crimes, and 68.9% of all crimes being by white people in the US, compared to 38.7% for black people when it comes to violent crimes, and 28.3% for murder.

You and your ultra right wing publication can take those numbers up with the FBI if you want. It's their data, not mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I am not sure if this has been discussed above but it was actually a married couple that carried out this shooting. Very strange and a terrorist attack has not been ruled out

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/04/us/san-bernardino-shooting.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

The FBI consider Arabs and Hispanics to be white. Check out Texas' most wanted list - www.txdps.state.tx.us/Texas10MostWanted/fugitives.aspx

Black people commit the majority of murders - 52.2%. Also, the FBI stats lump the Hispanics in with whites. You will note their omission on the table. Don't know why they do that, but there we go. So no, whites are not over represented.
    Where does it say that? All I could find was "The ethnicity totals are representative of those agencies that provided ethnicity breakdowns. Not all agencies provide ethnicity data; therefore, the race and ethnicity totals will not be equal" which never says the lump all Hispanics in the whites exclusively.

You're still not answering anything here, by the way why do you think black people are more prone to crime and poverty?

You also said the majority of violent crimes were committed by black people, when actually that is completely untrue - again do you wish to retract that statement and just admit you were wrong, or will you continue to ignore it?

Make that 58.7% of all violent crimes, and 68.9% of all crimes being by white people in the US, compared to 38.7% for black people when it comes to violent crimes, and 28.3% for murder.

You and your ultra right wing publication can take those numbers up with the FBI if you want. It's their data, not mine.

The data is sourced (and linked right in the article) from New York City’s annual crime report. It is accurate.

**It was interesting to learn that Chicago used to keep record of such numbers as well..........until one Rahm Emanuel took office.

You're still not answering anything here, by the way why do you think black people are more prone to crime and poverty?

Why are you insisting he answer the unanswerable?

It doesn't change a thing: the numbers are what they are.

Hispanics are lumped in with whites so the figures are skewed.
    Darrell Steffensmeier, professor of sociology, crime, law and justice, at Penn State University published an analysis of violent crime statistics in the most recent issue of Criminology that indicate the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports and the National Crime Victimization Survey has been reporting skewed data about violent crime for the last twenty years. The report was reviewed at the EurekaAlert web site on March 28, 2011.

The bias of the FBI reporting hinges on one single fact – Hispanic criminals were reported as white.

There is no Hispanic category in the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports and the National Crime Victimization Survey.

This bias increased the number of violent crimes reportedly perpetrated by whites and reduced the number of violent crimes reportedly perpetrated by blacks.

http://www.examiner.com/article/crime-statistics-distorted-by-race-for-last-20-years

Why are you so eager to downplay one groups stats and overplay another's? Most odd.

dixiefly wrote: »
    I am not sure if this has been discussed above but it was actually a married couple that carried out this shooting. Very strange and a terrorist attack has not been ruled out

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/04/us/san-bernardino-shooting.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

A married couple with a young baby. That's what makes this whole thing even more bizarre.

The data is sourced (and linked right in the article) from New York City’s annual crime report. It is accurate.

**It was interesting to learn that Chicago used to keep record of such numbers as well..........until one Rahm Emanuel took office.

You responded to a post saying "white people actually make up about 60% of all violent crime arrests in the USA, compared to about 37% for black people.white people actually make up about 60% of all violent crime arrests in the USA, compared to about 37% for black people."

If you want to argue against that comment, you need to be referring to the US in full.

You responded to a post saying "white people actually make up about 60% of all violent crime arrests in the USA, compared to about 37% for black people.white people actually make up about 60% of all violent crime arrests in the USA, compared to about 37% for black people."

If you want to argue against that comment, you need to be referring to the US in full.

No, I don't, as New York City is in the USA.

We can go State by State if you like, but I will give you a preview:
    the numbers look much the same no matter where we go.

• Advertisement

No, I don't, as New York City is in the USA.
    Yes, you do. NY is not all of the USA. It is that simple. If you want to disagree with the numbers on the racial breakdown of criminals in the whole of the USA, you need to argue against it for the whole USA, not just one city in it that accounts for 2.6% of the entire population. It's called cherry picking, I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase.
    We can go State by State if you like, but I will give you a preview:
    the numbers look much the same no matter where we go.
    Feel free to go ahead and do that then - but you're just doing what the FBI have already done, and the link has been posted several times in this thread. If you have an issue with them on this, I suggest you contact the FBI and let them know.

Advertisement