Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get any experience or work as a Junior Java Developer

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Was nearly 3/4 years after that I even got my hands on a little bit of sql work.

You were lucky, I know plenty that never escaped the service desk purgatory.

I believe they do. I've heard reports that people have been contacted directly by google recruiters based on searched they have done.

Considering that I have in my time, entered such gems as 'What's a variable' I suppose it's no surprise they have never contacted me.
    :eek:

Ahhh, I have heard of approaches from postings in Google groups etc. That's a different thing entirely to Google checking your search history as part of the recruitment process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Graham wrote: »
    You were lucky, I know plenty that never escaped the service desk purgatory.

I was very lucky in the sense I moved to a company where I was still doing desktop support but had a great opportunity to move into junior dev type work. Some companies I've been in wouldn't entertain that kind of move at all, madness really.

I was very lucky in the sense I moved to a company where I was still doing desktop support but had a great opportunity to move into junior dev type work. Some companies I've been in wouldn't entertain that kind of move at all, madness really.

At one stage it was a reasonable (if tiring) route into development. That approaches is much harder these days but it does still happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

25k in Dublin for a software dev job? No thanks!

OP, I know it must be hard for you to be in that position, but I find it somewhat strange that you are struggling to find work. There are tonnes of software jobs. Unless you've only been looking at strictly Java jobs or with the bigger companies, I can't understand how you could be out of work that long.

Why not try and look at start ups and do some front end or PHP development or something?
    Also, I'd definitely go abroad i you don't have any ties here.

• Advertisement

Just another one, graduates constantly bicker about companies not hiring because of a lack of experience. I used to do it myself, until I was interviewing candidates in a job in Canada.

One guy actually showed this to me :

$i = 0;
    try
    {
    $i++
    }
    catch(Exception $e)
    {
    echo 'error';
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    One guy actually showed this to me :

$i = 0;
    try
    {
    $i++
    }
    catch(Exception $e)
    {
    echo 'error';
    }

What question had you asked him?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

"Please find the door and leave"

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Here's my two cents, frist I am not developer but do love to code. Get a Git hub account, download Android studio and start to develop that way in interview you show them the apps you have made dosen't need to be nothing fancy. Also become a mentor with your local Coder Dojo chance is some parents or mentors are IT and might recommend you. A cousin of mine got a job in IT cause one mentor in my Dojo new some one look for people .

psinno wrote: »
    What question had you asked him?

He was showing me some project he worked on from Github. He seemed eager, but when I seen this I had my doubts!!

You'd be amazed at the amount of people who don't know what an abstract class is or what a static method is.

Also, for the OP, I've worked with many different technologies so my CV is a bit mad, but the one thing I am missing in terms of professional experience is unit testing using testing frameworks (the industries I worked in moved fast and the projects had short dev times and product lifespans and there was no time or need to write them ). So my advice is to learn about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Interesting, most of the MNCs I've worked with would look at commercial/domain experience first although adherence to and knowledge of standards and participation in industry conferences would obviously be a plus. I guess the open source side of things would depend on your particular domain, some areas just don't fit the open source arena particularly well.

It could be the case that most of my experience here is as a remote worker working in remote working teams. That means they are hiring from a global talent pool, not bound by geography. Certainly I've noticed an increased concentration on "passion" when hiring for such roles, but maybe that's simply a proxy for "are they able to work from home reliably?"

Also, Silicon Valley fads are definitely more present in remote working culture mainly as much remote work contracting stems from startups or from "startups" within the R&D of MNCs. And SV is real keen on workers appearing to be "passionate".
    ?? Google check your search history as part of their recruitment process?

More that they use your search history to identify you. See https://developers.slashdot.org/story/15/08/27/2140221/google-may-try-to-recruit-you-for-a-job-based-on-your-search-queries.

I also know for a fact Microsoft run automated spiders on LinkedIn and github looking algorithmically for promising candidates to approach. I was told the algorithms mostly look for experienced people recently downsized through no fault of their own (e.g. there tends to be a spike in github commits after a LinkedIn status changes). I am also fairly sure Apple are doing the same judging from recent never ending recruiter approaches to me on audio development (my current contract is for an audio MNC, so Apple's spider obviously has flagged me).

Niall

14ned wrote: »
    Silicon Valley fads are definitely more present in remote working culture mainly as much remote work contracting stems from startups or from "startups" within the R&D of MNCs. And SV is real keen on workers appearing to be "passionate".

I think that depends on the particular domain you're working in. My work would be further removed from the silicon valley fashionable-practice-du-jour.
    ** Posted from my desk at home just before I join the rest of my remote team for the daily scrum **
    14ned wrote: »

Targeted advertising

Advertisement