Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where would you go next...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭carsfan2

The other side of it though is that newer cars are not losing value like a stone which had been the case up until recently.

choice though is really poor and we’re unlikely to see any change in the future. If anything I could see vrt increases again on higher emissions cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't know, these thing never last indefinitely and the car owner seldom comes out on top with the amount of money that's involved now. Dealers, banks and the taxman are higher up in the winner stakes imo. Supply will eventually catch up with demand or new cars could end up being only affordable to the elite. They are increasing in price at a higher rate that wages or inflation. Something will have to give at some point.

I agree to a point Bazz.

I think car makers increasingly want to steer buyers into finance and never pay for the car. They want you to focus on monthly payments and ultimately will want you to rent cars indefinitely.

they can mask the true cost of the car purchase by extending loan terms, lowering interest rates, changing guaranteed future values.

With Eamon Ryan in charge of transport I can’t see anything good coming for the motorist anytime soon. We will continue to be pushed into electric whether we’re ready or not.

I was down in Kerry at the weekend with friends who recently bought an electric car id4 but they brought their seven year old diesel car on the trip as they couldn’t trust they could do the mileage comfortably over the weekend without major inconvenience.

their 50k new car sat at home while they used their old hack car. They love the id4 but the infrastructure isn’t up to the mark yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

After few weeks of going around I felt like dealers dont want to sell their stock, have to much money on their hands. Went big names, small ones, the Naas cowboys and some main brands dealers. Almost everywhere I felt like unwanted Christmas gift.

As for private one.... Overpriced like hell. A lot of people think that if the car have four wheals and runs they can ask for millions. Wanted to swap for a 5-series. Dont know whether it was just my luck but most Ive checked was being sold by "real" BMW douchebags... I wont even say anything about cars which look like barn inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's gone abit nuts for sure. Can't complain though as I had plenty opportunity to buy but just didn't believe that Brexit would happen in a manner that would restrict imports here.

It will settle down abit when a proper supply of new stuff comes back.

Half tempted to buy a V8 to keep as that type of stuff is not going to be seen again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Kinda happy I've fallen back in love with my own A6 so no rush to change yet, prices of newer stuff probably forced me back in love too. I upgraded the MMI to a full android hd system with a bigger screen too and it takes years off the interior. Impressive bit of kit even if it's a Chinese aftermarket effort.

The fiance is pregnant though and has gone full blown "I need an suv right now" mode even though it's our first and we'd have no problems with the A6 and the golf. So looking at Qashqai and the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I just bought apt, have to downgrade so Ill be able to repay it faster. Not perfect solution but prefer that way than paying rent and mortgage at the same time. So I have to buy now. But i will go crazy before ill be able to get something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

New eV owner range anxiety, that'll go away soon enough.

Not so sure about that. They love the car for daily use but were unsure of charger availability in Kerry and felt it could have been an inconvenience to the group to have to charge the car.

I have 8k up on the 330e now, 5k of which are on electric. Car is very cheap to run as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I’ve already been approved for a SEAI grant on an ID4 but due to chip shortages it looks like I won’t get it until next year and the grant will have elapsed. Has anyone any idea if it’s possible to transfer the grant to another car instead?

Would be interested to see what others would go for, it’s a car for my wife and she wants an SUV as they are easier for loading kids in and out of. Was considering a 2019/2020 etron, anyone have anything to say about the first models of them that were sold, any issues? I seen a couple in the North that are the bigger battery version going for mid 40s which I should be able to clear for about €60, will be trying to stay within that price range.

I’m going to call SEAI tomorrow and see what they say but would be interested to see if anyone has done it or heard someone else has done it.

• Advertisement

The grant is assigned to a specific car as far as I know as the dealer needs to do the paperwork when they have an order number and vin.

you can get the grant when you buy or order something else. Hopefully they don’t get rid of it in the budget.

I would look at Kia ev6 or Hyundai ionic 5 if I was in the market. The gt line ev6 is 55k after grants and has incredible spec. You can order now and it’s similar size to id4 I think.

The grant is not actually assigned against a VIN, I’ve got the grant approved but my car is not built yet and therefore no VIN.

The 2 you mentioned I’ve taken a look at, I’ve got a problem though, I need a car ASAP. Sold our Tiguan on donedeal as dealer had told me he expected to get me a car this weekend just gone but he wasn’t able to secure the stock from another dealer and it fell through.

If I can goto kerry in an Etron an id4 owner will be fine, this time next year they will take it I'd guess.

Would the dealer not put you in a runaround until he can source something?

or maybe try another dealer?

The problem with another dealer is that the grant doesn't transfer, I rang SEAI yesterday and they confirmed that.

But if you order another electric car you are still eligible for the grant.

could the dealer get you a Q4 etron maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Wife looking for a 7 seater automatic, drives less than 10k KM a year and found two 2019 Renault Grand Scenic

https://www.kearys.ie/used-cars/12545784-renault-grand-scenic-iconic-blue-d-ci-120-edc-my19-192-c2104-kearys-renault-cork/

Main difference is

15k to 50k KM on the clock and 1.7 Diesel vs. 1.3 Petrol

All that I know Petrol would be better on her driving habits. Anything that would speak for the Diesel compared to the Petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Love watching these reviews of cars I could never own! The M5 CS is just in a different league to any of the competition here in this video by Matt Watson.

[youtube]4tNSBvFr8nU[/youtube]

Edit: they've really made a mess of this new site, have they changed how you embed videos too?

If it was a daily driver, I think the Porsche would have won it for me. M5 cs maybe a bit too raw for everyday use.

I went to have a tyre kick of Audi Q4 etron today when passing the local dealer. 69k asking price for a pre reg Q4 40 advance with a few options. No way did this car look or feel the bones of 70k. I must live on another planet. Who is going to be able to afford this for a mid size hatchback crossover?

Here's a nice bit of stock in Tipperary..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddg8OirXk5c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

AMG Gt for me although he could have used the E63s too although would be down on power.

• Advertisement

Put a deposit on a Kia Sorento PHEV today, Kia can thank MarkN for this one I think. Was very impressed with his reviews and many others that I had seen. The car doesn't have a German badge and not at the same quality but overall it's very very good. The car is so practical, has isofix in the 3rd row which will super handy when the grandparents travel with my little ones. Lots of really nice kit on the car, tons of space and while it's a bit longer and wider than a Tiguan it's actually shorter than my 5 series.

Great choice. I assume it’s instead of id4.

how long before you can get one?

Yeah it's instead of the id4. Fingers crossed next week I will get it!

Just watched Mark's review there of the Kia. A very good buy for a family wagon and full of kit. You'll be fighting over the charger at home now.

Then watched his Audi e tron S video. I think he was struggling to say good things about it to be honest, beyond interior and looks. Standard e tron makes way more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Porsche for me too.

actually surprised one as fresh as that is similar money to a new M3.

I think the Porsche for me too. Just that bit more special.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It would look special alright wrapped around a telephone pole some wet day with the engine over the back wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Advertisement