Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is public transport in Dublin so bad?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

Chivito550 wrote:
    And the look on their faces when they have to go rustling around through their bags for coins. I was parked at a bus stop for about 90 seconds one day, on one of the first stops on the 16, while a couple of tourists (must have been staying with friends out that way) spent an age looking for change. Never occurred to the driver to start driving while they were doing this.

The driver was doing the correct thing as he could be in trouble for issuing tickets while driving if there was an inspector or a driving monitor on board

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Conductors are a crazy idea, and a step back into the past. I haven’t seen it in any developed first world country (I’m sure there is somewhere, but I haven’t seen it). Rio de Janeiro is the only place I have encountered it.

London!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

1huge1 wrote: »
    I actually was in shock reading that, and then when I found it on google maps, it was even more amazing, connecting nowhere with nowhere (in population terms).

One striking thing about threads here is how any discussion of transport becomes an exercise in begrudgery against other forms of transport investment. A bridge that removes an hour from people's journey in an economically depressed area is an important thing which really has little to do with the reasons why transport in Dublin is a mess. The present government are promoting tax cuts rather than investment in infrastructure because they think that will get them more votes. They do this because people, including those in Dublin, don't want to pay tax to fund DART underground, as they don't travel that way, just as they sneer at bridges in Donegal because they don't live there. A bit of maturity is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

One striking thing about threads here is how any discussion of transport becomes an exercise in begrudgery against other forms of transport investment. A bridge that removes an hour from people's journey in an economically depressed area is an important thing which really has little to do with the reasons why transport in Dublin is a mess. The present government are promoting tax cuts rather than investment in infrastructure because they think that will get them more votes. They do this because people, including those in Dublin, don't want to pay tax to fund DART underground, as they don't travel that way, just as they sneer at bridges in Donegal because they don't live there. A bit of maturity is needed.

I'm sorry but you have completely mistook the tone of my comment and I can assure you there was no begrudgery on my part.

I was simply referring to the fact that this bridge is connecting an area with a tiny population to another area with a tiny population.

If you honestly believe building a €20m bridge was the best transport decision for that area, that is fine, but I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

It was a direct reference and comparison to a bridge that was deemed a waste of money in Limerick, so perfectly valid. There's hardly even a couple of thousand people within half an hour of that bridge, so to deny that it's an astounding waste of money would be ludicrous. Never mind sending that money to Dublin, if you handed Donegal CoCo €20m there's plenty they could be doing with it more usefully than building a white elephant in the middle of nowhere. In fact Letterkenny has needed a bypass with bridge since before Harry Blaney ever pulled that idea out of his arse.
    Have some manners and wind your neck in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

benjamin d wrote: »
    It was a direct reference and comparison to a bridge that was deemed a waste of money in Limerick, so perfectly valid. There's hardly even a couple of thousand people within half an hour of that bridge, so to deny that it's an astounding waste of money would be ludicrous. Never mind sending that money to Dublin, if you handed Donegal CoCo €20m there's plenty they could be doing with it more usefully than building a white elephant in the middle of nowhere. In fact Letterkenny has needed a bypass with bridge since before Harry Blaney ever pulled that idea out of his arse.
    Have some manners and wind your neck in.

The Harry Blaney Bridge is on the Wild Atlantic Way so that "White Elephant" is carrying tourists that we badly need in Donegal.

I have yet to hear anyone who used "White Elephant" as a description for any infrastructural investment in Ireland who wasn't either smug or comfortable already. More of that mentality and we might as well hang a "closed" sign on the country except for the professional classes and a few serfs to serve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

cgcsb wrote: »
    A number of reasons:

Politics makes it difficult to carry out projects taking longer than 4 years.

Most Cities, of our size, in the developed world have some sort of independent governance and are capable of funding their own infrastructure to some extent.

If Dublin had a metro, Rossport also must have one.

Lack of intelligence in general in the Irish population as a result of emigration to the more prosperous anglosphere over generations.

If the only people of any given generation left here are the folk from the hills have eyes, that means that politicians only have to get pot holes fixed and subsidize some unsustainable service a while longer to get re-elected.

Linked to the lack of intelligence is the lack of worldliness. We are only capable of comparing ourselves to the UK, and there is an awareness that Dublin is much smaller than London, ergo Dublin only needs to ape what services are available in provincial parts of the UK.

The Irish media are permitted to print misinformation about projects e.g. that DART underground is designed to connect Connolly and Heuston and that the existing PPT can do same

The Times was recently pressuring the government to give a commitment to NOT build metro north because the IT would consider it a waste.

Switzerland and Norway are for smart folk.

It's hard to digest what you're saying in a way, partly out of some sort of loyalty to the country, like somebody insulting your cousin who you know is a bollox, but you still don't like them saying it :o. A lot of what you said rings true however, it's important not to tar everybody with the same brush, but we are still backward here in a way, even after all of the progress.

I love the land of Ireland itself and the familiarity we have compared to other countries but it can be extremely frustrating to watch the same type of people constantly screwing things up like some sort of groundhog year. I think a lot of people do flourish when they emigrate as the culture here just stifles them, how can we change that here though, are we destined to just continue as we are or become even worse in terms of corruption and social imbalance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

90 minutes this morning getting blanch to the city 30 minutes of which I'd say was spent old cabra road-manor street

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Banjoxed wrote: »
    The Harry Blaney Bridge is on the Wild Atlantic Way so that "White Elephant" is carrying tourists that we badly need in Donegal.

I have yet to hear anyone who used "White Elephant" as a description for any infrastructural investment in Ireland who wasn't either smug or comfortable already. More of that mentality and we might as well hang a "closed" sign on the country except for the professional classes and a few serfs to serve them.

Yes you're right, white elephant is wrong, of course a bridge is useful no matter where it is. But that one, even at the height of the boom, was a preposterous misuse of a lot of money that could've been better served elsewhere even in the local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Seanachai wrote: »
    It's hard to digest what you're saying in a way, partly out of some sort of loyalty to the country, like somebody insulting your cousin who you know is a bollox, but you still don't like them saying it :o. A lot of what you said rings true however, it's important not to tar everybody with the same brush, but we are still backward here in a way, even after all of the progress.

I love the land of Ireland itself and the familiarity we have compared to other countries but it can be extremely frustrating to watch the same type of people constantly screwing things up like some sort of groundhog year. I think a lot of people do flourish when they emigrate as the culture here just stifles them, how can we change that here though, are we destined to just continue as we are or become even worse in terms of corruption and social imbalance?

I agree, I too would be very loyal and defensive of Ireland and indeed we can be very progressive in many ways, I'm thinking of the introduction of a smoking ban, plastic bag tax, ref on ssm etc. we're very much forward thinking in those areas. But in other areas we put our fingers in our ears and say la-la-la-la while looking at provincial empoverished regions of the UK for guidance.

We contradict ourselves on many fronts, we promote sustainability while subsidsing imported home heating oil through the welfare system.

We talk about reducing emissions from transport and then spend almost all of the transport capital budget on more roads while decreasing subvention for public transport.

We talk about tackling the housing crisis while Councils are STILL selling their social housing stock to residents without building any new stock.

In short, while we are somewhat progressive, we cannot have a solid policy on anything without backsliding and paying lipservice to the issue in question.

• Advertisement

thomasj wrote: »
    90 minutes this morning getting blanch to the city 30 minutes of which I'd say was spent old cabra road-manor street

Cabra-Manor St is definitely the worst part, the bus sails past all the traffic from Blanch-Cabra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I agree, I too would be very loyal and defensive of Ireland and indeed we can be very progressive in many ways, I'm thinking of the introduction of a smoking ban, plastic bag tax, ref on ssm etc. we're very much forward thinking in those areas. But in other areas we put our fingers in our ears and say la-la-la-la while looking at provincial empoverished regions of the UK for guidance.

We contradict ourselves on many fronts, we promote sustainability while subsidsing imported home heating oil through the welfare system.

We talk about reducing emissions from transport and then spend almost all of the transport capital budget on more roads while decreasing subvention for public transport.

We talk about tackling the housing crisis while Councils are STILL selling their social housing stock to residents without building any new stock.

In short, while we are somewhat progressive, we cannot have a solid policy on anything without backsliding and paying lipservice to the issue in question.

From what I've seen in relation to building and planning myself there seems to be a lot of corruption at a local and national level. Getting planning where I'm from in rural Ireland is often about talking to the right guy and maybe greasing the wheels a bit, there are certain guys who can literally build houses in reclaimed bogs. If money doesn't change hands then there will have to be favours of some kind.

"We talk about reducing emissions from transport and then spend almost all of the transport capital budget on more roads while decreasing subvention for public transport."

The question I'd ask here is what companies get the contract for this work and who are they connected to politically?. I think we're more like a South American or former Eastern bloc country in this regard. The country seems to be full of competing companies with various dodgy connections, all scrambling for their slice of taxpayers money.

I know places where if you complained about these issues, you'd be laughed out of the room. As long as fellas get some work on the road driving a machine or some sort of kickback then they don't really care about the general health of the country. We seem to be very easy to placate in one sense, very child-like as somebody else mentioned here.

Yes I'd agree with that and of course we have our present government, hopelessly inept on public transport and healthcare but we'll probably vote them in again because the other parties are hopelessly inept at...well everything, so FG offers the lesser of two evils. I'd still like to see Paschal unseated as a punishment though.

Leo V was a much better minister and has secured more funds for health in his new role. Paschal got us nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'd still like to see Paschal unseated as a punishment though.

Leo V was a much better minister and has secured more funds for health in his new role. Paschal got us nothing.

On that, I guess most of us agree. He is a particularly bad Minister for Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭howiya

One thing i'd like which probably wouldn't cost a lot of money is a page on the Dublin Bus website that shows the services that will not run on any given day due to "operational issues"...

There are times when the DB timetables are simply works of fiction and when you tweet to DB after a bus going on the missing list you get a response that a service did not run due to operational issues. I think most people would prefer to know in advance that the service wasn't running.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

London!

I never saw one there

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

howiya wrote: »
    One thing i'd like which probably wouldn't cost a lot of money is a page on the Dublin Bus website that shows the services that will not run on any given day due to "operational issues".

No Operator will do that, it's bad PR.

Same reason that a bus is never cancelled and always "Did not operate"

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

They are there alright....perhaps only on the busier routes. You should find info on the TfL website.

Conductors and Platform (Customer) Assistants in the busier Tube stations. Seemingly backward, but all keep the system ticking over efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

But they're not fare collecting conductors. They're more like door way assistants and customer service assistants:

"On the busier Central London routes, the bus will run with a conductor for most of the day. Conductors will not collect fares but will supervise the rear platform when they are on board, ensuring passenger safety when hopping on or off and providing travel advice.

When conductors are not present, the rear doors will be operated by the driver."

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/buses/new-routemaster

devnull wrote: »
    No Operator will do that, it's bad PR.

Same reason that a bus is never cancelled and always "Did not operate"

If no operator will do it voluntarily it should be part of their contract with the NTA. There should be some accountability for not providing scheduled services.

Do you not think its bad PR to leave people standing at bus stops, late for work etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

If no operator will do it voluntarily it should be part of their contract with the NTA. There should be some accountability for not providing scheduled services.

Do you not think its bad PR to leave people standing at bus stops, late for work etc?

I agree, but having watched the way CIE companies generally conduct their PR, I can assure you that you will never see a day like that by their own initiative.

Much better to annoy a few people who miss the bus and keep it self contained than broadcast it to the whole world. It's called PR management.

I would like to see something like this on Irish Rail
    http://www.journeycheck.com/greateranglia/
    https://www.journeycheck.com/greatwesternrailway/

We will never see it, but all operators in the UK operate their own version of this and it's always bang up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's always mention of security/transport police needed on the trains and trams, but I regularly see busses stopping running for anti-social behaviour. Transport police/garda should act to prevent these services being disrupted this way.

I agree, but having watched the way CIE companies generally conduct their PR, I can assure you that you will never see a day like that by their own initiative.

Much better to annoy a few people who miss the bus and keep it self contained than broadcast it to the whole world. It's called PR management.

We will never see it, but all operators in the UK operate their own version of this and it's always bang up to date.

If they're not prepared to do it of their own free will then it should be forced on them by the NTA.

I will always tweet to Dublin Bus if there isn't a bus when there's supposed to be so in some instances they do end up broadcasting it. I'm sure others do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i think that these are implemented as part of their franchise agreement though. i can't see why the same couldn't be done for irish rail, put it in the contract. i agree we won't see it though unfortunately, the NTA aren't to bothered about implementing things in relation to the railway it seems apart from the 10 minute dart frequency which will no doubt slow the lot down. a shame really as a dart frequency of 10 minutes should be celebrated, but as a user of the rosslare line i'm absolutely dreading it.
    If they're not prepared to do it of their own free will then it should be forced on them by the NTA.
    i agree. but the NTA seem reluctant to force anything upon the railway, so i wouldn't hold my breath if i were you

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Not just in Dublin, have you tried louth or meath!! It hardly exists and if it does it costs a small fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

i think that these are implemented as part of their franchise agreement though. i can't see why the same couldn't be done for irish rail, put it in the contract. i agree we won't see it though unfortunately, the NTA aren't to bothered about implementing things in relation to the railway it seems apart from the 10 minute dart frequency which will no doubt slow the lot down. a shame really as a dart frequency of 10 minutes should be celebrated, but as a user of the rosslare line i'm absolutely dreading it.
    My experience is that Dublin bus consistently cancel buses on an ad hoc basis. yet there is no way to check if the cancellations are recorded with the NTA. I suspect they're not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I will always tweet to Dublin Bus if there isn't a bus when there's supposed to be so in some instances they do end up broadcasting it. I'm sure others do the same

It wouldn't kill them to include a twitter feed on the main page of the website, or at least on the news centre page. Lots of people who don't use twitter would check the site first for unexpected delays, and it's usually useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Lack of intelligence in general in the Irish population as a result of emigration to the more prosperous anglosphere over generations.

If the only people of any given generation left here are the folk from the hills have eyes, that means that politicians only have to get pot holes fixed and subsidize some unsustainable service a while longer to get re-elected.

Linked to the lack of intelligence is the lack of worldliness. We are only capable of comparing ourselves to the UK, and there is an awareness that Dublin is much smaller than London, ergo Dublin only needs to ape what services are available in provincial parts of the UK.

Are you saying "we" are thick? I thought it was "labourers and navvies" who were usually the ones to emigrate in days gone by, you know ones who barely had an education? I do agree with the brain drain to a certain extent.
    I also agree that we always seem to just compare ourselves to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Yes agree with that. And there's no point say "if you build it they will come" for Dublin and not Donegal. Peculiarly Irish thing that, from both sides. Londoners probably welcome bridges in Scotland, and islanders accept London should get new rail projects.

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Are you saying "we" are thick? I thought it was "labourers and navvies"

Not just labourers and navvies, people with an education but without family in high up places left in their droves and have done for generations, also people who aspire to better things are generally those who leave as opposed to those who are happy with dole, high tax and poor public services.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement