Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is public transport in Dublin so bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

MrMorooka wrote:
    EDIT: traffic is generally not too bad along the Old Cabra Rd route anyway, so that area could make do with lesser measures of segregation. The real issues are the Navan Road between Tesco and the Halfway House, then the whole area around the Blanchardstown Centre.

:eek: anyone who takes the bus in the morning would disagree with you. It is usually a nightmare from tesco all the way to Hanlons corner and sometimes beyond to manor street in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Yeh what's the appeal of time based ticketing? If you spend 60 minutes on a bus, through horrific traffic you pay more than on a quiet Friday morning where you fly in in 35 minutes. That is utterly stupid.

Why can't we just implement "touch on, touch off" like with the LUAS? Have standard public transport zones (not different ones for buses, LUAS and trains). If you touch on in zone 4, and get off in zone 4, you pay less, than if you touch off in zone 2. If you forget to touch off, you pay the maximum fare. Simple.

operating the back doors at every stop and putting in a touch off machine at the back doors would really speed things up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Bambi wrote: »
    I'v always said that reintroducing conductors would solve most of dublin buses major drawbacks but it's too crazy an idea to ever happen.

Hiring one conductor for every bus in the fleet, even if they are paid €25k each, and I'd say it would be more, would cost the company over €20m and even then it would only give you 8 hours a day Monday to Friday only.

Lets be realistic here.

I find the section between Cabra Cross and the bus lane on manor street to be by far the most tedious part of a Blanch bus journey.

Of course a settlement the size of Blanchardstown should not be depending on double decker buses for transport, there should be a frequent electrified rail service on the Maynooth line with regular feeder buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

devnull wrote: »
    Hiring one conductor for every bus in the fleet, even if they are paid €25k each, and I'd say it would be more, would cost the company over €20m and even then it would only give you 8 hours a day Monday to Friday only.

Lets be realistic here.

You have the cost and the benefits, the benefits would be substantial, would it justify the cost? I don't know, but look at what they paid for that joke of a super QBC in drumcondra.

• Advertisement

What do you think the benefits would be?

I can't see them being anywhere near worth the €20m minimum it would cost.

devnull wrote: »
    What do you think the benefits would be?

I can't see them being anywhere near worth the €20m minimum it would cost.

loiter times absolutely gone
    ticketing options now wide open, hell you could introduce credit card payments even
    anti social behaviour sorted
    fare dodging sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

On average each bus requires 3 staff duties per day (excluding the peak hour only buses) - staffing every one of those with a conductor would be an astronomical cost.

It's just not going to happen.

What's wrong with the new bus lane in Drumcondra?

It seems to work pretty well anytime I've used it and has speeded up the service in both directions.

lxflyer wrote: »
    What's wrong with the new bus lane in Drumcondra?

It seems to work pretty well anytime I've used it and has speeded up the service in both directions.

Its crap. You're still crawling from the canal to the cat and cage if traffic is busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

collie0708 wrote: »
    Don't use public transport often due to my commute taking twice as long due to poor connectivity. However got the red line luas today and it desperately needs more security as the amount of undesirables just hoping on and off with no tickets is crazy I was delighted to get of the thing. Just got onto the train and 2 junkies across from me having a few cans talking about how 1 of them in sue in court for breaking into houses 😡😡😡 wish I had brought the car

The Luas security are doing their best, but at the end of the day, all they can legally do is remove people from the tram.

There was an interesting article in the papers last week about it

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/luas-calls-for-help-battling-antisocial-behaviour-after-644-complaints-this-year-34226215.html here is the independents take, essentially the Luas security are asking for more powers or for the Gardai to become more involved.

I would have no issue with the Luas security having the power to do more, but am clueless regarding the effect this would have on the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

ticketing options now wide open, hell you could introduce credit card payments even
    anti social behaviour sorted
    fare dodging sorted

Conductors are a crazy idea, and a step back into the past. I haven’t seen it in any developed first world country (I’m sure there is somewhere, but I haven’t seen it). Rio de Janeiro is the only place I have encountered it.

A better idea:

Instead of investing in a ridiculous amount of conductors, invest in more ticket inspectors, therefore more ticket checks. Increase the amount of the fare evasion fine by 2 or 2.5 times as a disincentive to fare evade. I dropped close to $200 in Melbourne after a few months in the city when I got caught (I know I shouldn’t have been fare evading, but I had no job and was broke from trying to get set up in a new country), and sure enough I never ever chanced it ever again. I always made sure my card was validated.

In addition to the above, have easy to follow public transport zones (not the ridiculous stage system we have here), and a touch on touch off machine on all buses, at both the front door and middle door.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

RainyDay wrote: »
    Any links? Honestly, it sounds very unlikely. Things like this don't get done on a whim, and require a raft of approvals and involvement of other people, including local authorities (who are often controlled by parties other than govt parties).

Haven't read to the end so this may have been mentioned, but on a very related note to zulutango's post... LOL

http://www.welovedonegal.com/harry-blaney-bridge.html

1322470_c06d2151.jpg

benjamin d wrote: »
    Haven't read to the end so this may have been mentioned, but on a very related note to zulutango's post... LOL

http://www.welovedonegal.com/harry-blaney-bridge.html

1322470_c06d2151.jpg

I actually was in shock reading that, and then when I found it on google maps, it was even more amazing, connecting nowhere with nowhere (in population terms).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I'm in training at the moment so I'm not too bad as I'm very near the station when I arrive, also the fact that it takes me between 20 mins and 35 mins to get to Dublin on the train depending on whether I get the direct train or one that stops everywhere, so a very quick commute when you don't have to go far once you're off the train.

However, when I'm back in the office in April it will be a nightmare as when I get to Dublin from the train it will take an average of 30 mins to get there and then it's another 4km to get to work from the station. So if I decide to get a LUAS and walk, or get a bus, or just walk, it will take another 40 mins to get 4km across to the other side of the city, which is an absolute joke.

I can't wait until the LUAS lines are connected as it will be much quicker and easier to work out the times. I think I am going to have to get a bike as it would only be 15-20 mins compared to 40. I don't know how on earth it can be possible for me to come 50km on a train in 30 mins and then take 40 mins to go 4km when I arrive in Dublin. Ridiculous.

Anyway, as I said, I'll probably just have to try bike it until the LUAS lines are connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

chops018 wrote: »
    I'm in training at the moment so I'm not too bad as I'm very near the station when I arrive, also the fact that it takes me between 20 mins and 35 mins to get to Dublin on the train depending on whether I get the direct train or one that stops everywhere, so a very quick commute when you don't have to go far once you're off the train.

However, when I'm back in the office in April it will be a nightmare as when I get to Dublin from the train it will take an average of 30 mins to get there and then it's another 4km to get to work from the station. So if I decide to get a LUAS and walk, or get a bus, or just walk, it will take another 40 mins to get 4km across to the other side of the city, which is an absolute joke.

I can't wait until the LUAS lines are connected as it will be much quicker and easier to work out the times. I think I am going to have to get a bike as it would only be 15-20 mins compared to 40. I don't know how on earth it can be possible for me to come 50km on a train in 30 mins and then take 40 mins to go 4km when I arrive in Dublin. Ridiculous.

Anyway, as I said, I'll probably just have to try bike it until the LUAS lines are connected.

What's the journey in the city?

Sums it all up here:

Some clowns thinking Irish Rail should go bust, and close all rail lines outside of Dublin!

http://www.politics.ie/forum/transport/242401-irish-rail-whats-solution-shambles.html

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

1huge1 wrote: »
    I actually was in shock reading that, and then when I found it on google maps, it was even more amazing, connecting nowhere with nowhere (in population terms).

I've heard it's basically a private drag strip for the local boy racers. I'm surprised it wasn't a national scandal at the time given that the crash came between starting and opening it.
    The country needs to learn that national politicians should represent national interests rather than gombeen local TDs getting shiny things in return for favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Sums it all up here:

Some clowns thinking Irish Rail should go bust, and close all rail lines outside of Dublin!

http://www.politics.ie/forum/transport/242401-irish-rail-whats-solution-shambles.html

P.ie was always a curious melange of dissos and Ayn Rand lickers.

There's other ways to do this without a conductor which are far more cost effective.
    hell you could introduce credit card payments even
    Which would cost another few million to purchase equipment, train staff and to run the back office system as well as given the payment processor their cut.
    fare dodging sorted

There were traditionally four types of fare dodging.

People using student tickets who were not students
    (vastly reduced by only allowing student tickets on a student leap card which cannot just be purchased by anyone)

People using fake or expired free travel passed
    (will be vastly reduced by the new smart card)

Over-riding fraud
    (Better inspections can help with this, but moving towards flat fares could as well although the later is not viable right now)

People using child tickets
    (Again not so easy as it used to be due to leap)

The number of ways to cheat the system are being reduced, and coupled with more inspections should seem them reduced further.

There is far more no ticket fraud going on, on Irish Rail and nothing is being done at all about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cgcsb wrote: »
    operating the back doors at every stop and putting in a touch off machine at the back doors would really speed things up.
    i was in seattle many years ago, and the system there was that on an inbound bus trip, you pay getting on the bus. on an outbound trip, you pay getting off.

the main thing which allowed this to work was that it was a flat fare, so there was no concern about how far you'd travelled; but it significantly reduced the amount of time the buses were sitting at the stops in the city centre.

• Advertisement

i was in seattle many years ago, and the system there was that on an inbound bus trip, you pay getting on the bus. on an outbound trip, you pay getting off.

the main thing which allowed this to work was that it was a flat fare, so there was no concern about how far you'd travelled; but it significantly reduced the amount of time the buses were sitting at the stops in the city centre.

we have cross city routes

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

I've just remembered why the Public Transport System is so bad. You can't get off a busy bus with the Driver Huggers up the front!

I've just remembered why the Public Transport System is so bad. You can't get off a busy bus with the Driver Huggers up the front!

The faces on tourists when they realise they have to battle their way to the top of the bus with their bags because the driver won't open the doors is priceless.

The faces on tourists when they realise they have to battle their way to the top of the bus with their bags because the driver won't open the doors is priceless.

And the look on their faces when they have to go rustling around through their bags for coins. I was parked at a bus stop for about 90 seconds one day, on one of the first stops on the 16, while a couple of tourists (must have been staying with friends out that way) spent an age looking for change. Never occurred to the driver to start driving while they were doing this.

And the look on their faces when they have to go rustling around through their bags for coins. I was parked at a bus stop for about 90 seconds one day, on one of the first stops on the 16, while a couple of tourists (must have been staying with friends out that way) spent an age looking for change. Never occurred to the driver to start driving while they were doing this.

In fairness when you visit another City one generally must look-up the ticketing arrangements, on many systems you can't buy a ticket on the bus or it is very cumbersome to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Why on earth were the 2 LUAS lines not connected to begin with?
    Why on earth was Heuston station never connected to Pearse or Connolly?
    Why are Commuter Rail services so infrequent?
    Why does nothing seem to ever connect in this city? (Long walk from Green Line to DART for example)?

1. Brilliant political thinking. No one would have agreed to digging up the city centre for a few years. Build it close to the centre, and when they see how good it is, the great unwashed will demand they are joined.
    2. There's a lovely tunnel through Phoenix Park.
    3. Ah sure, the times are grand.
    4. The 114 bus links the green line to the DART.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Well DART Underground and Metro North are the key to revolutionizing pt in Dublin, I look forward to unseating the current transport minister over this failing.

He will just be replace by another 'vanity project' maggot who went to school either on the back of a tractor or in his father's (who was also a rural TD like his grandfather before) mercedes.

It is a never ending cycle of morons in this country being elected and put into departments in order to produce reports and then kill infrastructure in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Listing to me. I am being 100% honest. I am not being negative or trolling when I say this.

There is NO HOPE for a rail based public transport system that Dublin badly requires being designed and b uilt as long as Dublin is still controlled by Politicians, Civil Servants and Journalists who are from 'proud GAA families'

It is really the honest truth. The only way Dublin will ever get the required public transport system is if some other country invades us and exterminates or places in work camps the entire current Irish social elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    He will just be replace by another 'vanity project' maggot who went to school either on the back of a tractor or in his father's (who was also a rural TD like his grandfather before) mercedes.

It is a never ending cycle of morons in this country being elected and put into departments in order to produce reports and then kill infrastructure in Dublin.

Unprecedented wealth in the state while a Dublin Taoiseach in power.

We got one new tram line and basically the reopening of an old train line.

Not just the fault of "culchies".

• Advertisement

Not to mention, Pascal Donohoe is Dublin born and bred and doesn't appear to have a country background.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement