Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free iPad mini 2 with Sunday Times subscription (18 months)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭TriStar6

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I see another paper is now offering a similar deal, with a Samsung tablet, but its a €299 up front payment (can't find the specific details right now, of course!)

This one?
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/digital-edition/get-a-free-samsung-tablet-when-you-subscribe-to-weekend-home-delivery-and-the-digital-edition-31457765.html

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

You also get a €50 One4All card.....but delivery isnt available in my area!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

dulpit wrote: »
    I still think it's a good offer for the Ipad, although at this stage I'm not convinced I'll be keeping the subscription up once my 18 month contract has ended. What do others think?

I dip into it every morning in bed just to see what's in the news (mainly skimming the headlines). I enjoy the weekend supplements too.

Like you, I don't know if I'll keep the subscription beyond 18 months. I've set a calendar reminder to let me know when I've paid the 18th installment. I'll make a decision then.

I'm probably using it more for Zinio (free magazine subscriptions). The ipad is really great for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just some observations after having subscription for the last few months:
    1. The apps on both phone and tablet have become much much better
    2. The tablet app is still much better than the phone, but the phone app is fine for quick reads
    3. The paper, even though being an "Irish edition", is still clearly a UK paper with an Irish section - people should be aware of this. The Irish coverage is decent though, there's plenty to read through (Think of the Sunday Times and how much Irish scope is there - same sort of breakdown)

I still think it's a good offer for the Ipad, although at this stage I'm not convinced I'll be keeping the subscription up once my 18 month contract has ended. What do others think?

The goals section is fairly good, and it's updated regularly. My one gripe is that I can't get the PDF version of the paper on the phone app. I've an 6S Plus so the screen is fine for the likes of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

TriStar6 wrote: »

any idea of the tablet specs - I tried going thro purchase to see it - there are ** suggesting detail/terms somewhere but I cannot find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

any idea of the tablet specs - I tried going thro purchase to see it - there are ** suggesting detail/terms somewhere but I cannot find

Samsung Tab 4 7"

https://www.reachhomedelivery.ie/newspapers-magazines/terms

I assume it's this one (value £119)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ablelocks wrote: »
    i'm hoping that Apple discontinue the mini 2 soon, and if the offer then includes mini 4 i will be signing up for it.

Apple are probably only doing this until they get rid of stock of mini 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Mr E wrote: »
    Samsung Tab 4 7"

https://www.reachhomedelivery.ie/newspapers-magazines/terms

I assume it's this one (value £119)
    Thats disapointing. Id have no problem signing up to these offers if they had a full size tablet. Id really want 9 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Id really want 9 inches

if-you-know-what-i-mean.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mpearce

Hi,

As a subscriber as part of the iPad mini promotion I have a couple of questions and feature requests that might also be of interest to anyone considering signing up.

1. Is there any possibilities of providing league tables, fixtures, etc. across english leagues and abroad similar to the printed edition. While goal highlights are useful the lack of tables and fixtures is a drawback. including fixtures across numerous sports.

2. Any Chance of providing an 'update only on wifi' option for the android phone app (Ireland edition). Each time I open this app there is a > 20mb update and with a limited mobile data allowance I am unable to use the app as much as I want. Similar to this only having today's edition available is another drawback. Even with 'background updates' and 'push notifications' off every time the app is opened there is a large data download. Would be nice to be able to read saved articles or previous sunday edition without this data download or any other work around you might have.

3. I also lost access to the uk apps recently and it was mentioned that the uk website could be used. This does not render correctly on an iPad 1 across multiple browsers, e.g. 'load more' button doesn't work amongst other problems

Many thanks for your response in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

mpearce wrote:
    2. Any Chance of providing an 'update only on wifi' option for the android phone app (Ireland edition). Each time I open this app there is a > 20mb update and with a limited mobile data allowance I am unable to use the app as much as I want. Similar to this only having today's edition available is another drawback. Even with 'background updates' and 'push notifications' off every time the app is opened there is a large data download. Would be nice to be able to read saved articles or previous sunday edition without this data download or any other work around you might have.

Open Play Store
    Go to My Apps
    Click on the App in question.
    Tap the 3 vertical dots on the top right of the page
    Uncheck the "Auto Update" box.

Now it will notify you that updates are available but you can swipe to clear it and update when you want. This works with most apps unless the Times app has some setting that only allows it to work if it's at the latest version.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

mpearce wrote: »
    Hi,

As a subscriber as part of the iPad mini promotion I have a couple of questions and feature requests that might also be of interest to anyone considering signing up.

1. Is there any possibilities of providing league tables, fixtures, etc. across english leagues and abroad similar to the printed edition. While goal highlights are useful the lack of tables and fixtures is a drawback. including fixtures across numerous sports.

3. I also lost access to the uk apps recently and it was mentioned that the uk website could be used. This does not render correctly on an iPad 1 across multiple browsers, e.g. 'load more' button doesn't work amongst other problems

Afaik,u can save editions,youve previously downloaded,go to the local library once a week,use their WiFi ,download away

Hi,

Thanks for the replies however the problem updates are NOT the app updates (from the Play Store).

The updates that I would like to disable/only-over-wifi/manually-update-paper-edition are the edition updates within the app, i.e. todays edition of the paper.

Play store settings are already set not to update automatically.

Go into settings in the app - there is a background update option there.
    Are you saying that this isn't working as expected?

iluOEtp.png

Have tried the 'background updates' on both 'Off' and 'Wifi only'

Unfortunately not much of an improvement.

On mobile data - I opened the app - updated to today's edition -> 21Mb
    On mobile data - opened the app 3 or 4 times - each time got a message 'Loading today's edition' and read 4 or 5 articles - still downloaded 81 Mb

Offer coming to an end soon, so says the editor of the Times Ireland Edition:

https://twitter.com/roakleyIRL/status/781912100247629824

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

Have tried the 'background updates' on both 'Off' and 'Wifi only'

Unfortunately not much of an improvement.

On mobile data - I opened the app - updated to today's edition -> 21Mb
    On mobile data - opened the app 3 or 4 times - each time got a message 'Loading today's edition' and read 4 or 5 articles - still downloaded 81 Mb

Why do you go into the app when you're on mobile data if you know it's going to download updates?

guil wrote: »
    Why do you go into the app when you're on mobile data if you know it's going to download updates?

If you actually read my original post (#432) and subsequent relevant posts and replies maybe then you'll understand the context.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Offer coming to an end soon, so says the editor of the Times Ireland Edition:

https://twitter.com/roakleyIRL/status/781912100247629824

I'd expect them to start it again with the newer model iPad Mini eventually

• Advertisement

Just checked my storage and usage. This app currently has nearly 3gb used on iOS!!! I don't have anything saved so it's all needless storage as far as I can tell. There doesn't seem to be a way to clear it down, without reinstalling the app either.

chrislad wrote: »
    Just checked my storage and usage. This app currently has nearly 3gb used on iOS!!! I don't have anything saved so it's all needless storage as far as I can tell. There doesn't seem to be a way to clear it down, without reinstalling the app either.

I'm guessing that it's the auto-download plus the number of editions being supported. Default = auto download and storage for 1 week, maybe you can reduce this down?

It does seem quite high though, as my ipad is showing 662.1 MB right now.

You haven't deleted previous editions? Go into edit and click on all you have read, and then the bin icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd expect them to start it again with the newer model iPad Mini eventually

Richie, can you confirm if this is a possibility?

Birneybau wrote: »
    You haven't deleted previous editions? Go into edit and click on all you have read, and then the bin icon.

This is the iPhone version, not the iPad version so it's not PDF downloads.

This is the iPhone version, not the iPad version so it's not PDF downloads.

Clear app data? You are downloading them for offline use?

Birneybau wrote: »
    Clear app data? You are downloading them for offline use?

Clear app data isn't available on iOS, unless the app itself allows it. You can force it into clearing the cache via various tricks, but it's probably easier in my case to delete and reinstall. Shoddy design though. For both Apple and the Time app dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Has anyone received an e-mail from Digital Help [email] help@timesplus.co.uk via z7qle2n5is8awrr5.vviv.2-cog5eao.eu0.bnc.salesforce.com saying "We have previously contacted you to let you know that we have not been receiving payments for your iPad digital subscription to the Times and Sunday Times.

Your account is now overdue and will be cancelled in the next 2 days unless you pay outstanding fees before your subscription is terminated."

my account has been paid in full since I took out the subscription in June 2016 so am a bit confused by this.[/email]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

dinorebel wrote: »
    Has anyone received an e-mail from Digital Help [email] help@timesplus.co.uk via z7qle2n5is8awrr5.vviv.2-cog5eao.eu0.bnc.salesforce.com saying "We have previously contacted you to let you know that we have not been receiving payments for your iPad digital subscription to the Times and Sunday Times.

Your account is now overdue and will be cancelled in the next 2 days unless you pay outstanding fees before your subscription is terminated."

my account has been paid in full since I took out the subscription in June 2016 so am a bit confused by this.[/email]

I got the same message . My debit card had expired and I hadn't updated my payment details with The Times. The card number and details were all the same just needed to update the expiry date. Like you they hadn't contacted me before and my payments were all up to date.
    I contacted customer support and said I didn't appreciate getting threatening emails four days after my card expired. I have other direct debits which continued to be paid without difficulty. I thought an email requesting me to update my payment method would have sufficed.
    I got an apology but it seems it was meaningless as they are sending aggressive emails as a first resort.

This was there response to my complaint -

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry for the way that this has come across and will be forwarding this onto our Head Office for them to look into.

Thank you for taking the time to share your dissatisfaction with one of our communications.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me or my team and we will be able to assist you.

Kind regards,

Samantha Hudson

Online Customer Services

• Advertisement

Hi,

In addition to the above previous post which has not been answered new issue with the tablet app on ipad1.

Since the latest forced update - based on last compatible version - app does not install. No access now through ipad1. Website does not render correctly on ipad1. Very poor service.

Error message from
    Incident Identifier: CEEECD0D-58E6-4F3D-865C-1A7F158575A2
    CrashReporter Key:   0671379abd3ac57f36ac0e67acf8c794554c22e8
    Hardware Model:      iPad1,1
    Process:         TheTimesIreland [10981]
    Path:            /var/mobile/Applications/D6CBBE74-B314-43E8-AB0C-07DBA54C03FB/TheTimesIreland.app/TheTimesIreland
    Identifier:      TheTimesIreland
    Version:         ??? (???)
    Code Type:       ARM (Native)
    Parent Process:  launchd [1]

Date/Time:       2016-09-11 19:33:34.028 +0200
    OS Version:      iPhone OS 5.1.1 (9B206)
    Report Version:  104

Exception Type:  00000020
    Exception Codes: 0x8badf00d
    Highlighted Thread:  2

Application Specific Information:
    TheTimesIreland[10981] has active assertions beyond permitted time: 
    {(
        <SBProcessAssertion: 0xdd77440> identifier: Suspending process: TheTimesIreland[10981] permittedBackgroundDuration: 10.000000 reason: suspend owner pid:66 preventSuspend  preventThrottleDownCPU  preventThrottleDownUI 
    )}

Elapsed total CPU time (seconds): 0.030 (user 0.030, system 0.000), 100% CPU 
    Elapsed application CPU time (seconds): 0.001, 2% CPU

Thread 0 name:  Dispatch queue: com.crashlytics.analytics.high-priority

Advertisement