Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MORE crap on the way.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Dear BattleCorp,

Thank you for your email. While I am not aware of any vote due to take place on this matter I will of course give consideration to the matter and discuss it with my colleagues.

Thank you once again.

Kind Regards

This MEP hadn't heard of the issue. Get writing folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/GunbanEU/photos/a.1029375283750518.1073741828.1028025690552144/1032492163438830/?type=3&theater

Intresting to see that Ireland has 541 signs on Nov 28th. Cmon lads..We can do more thant that??:(

542 now. Am I really the only person who signed in the last 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Watch this and BE VERY AFRAID!!!! If you dont think this is a threat after listening to lunatics like this ..well then you are going to be in for a very rude shock!:eek::(:(

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/news-room/content/20151126IPR04861/html/Committee-on-Civil-Liberties-Justice-and-Home-Affairs

UPDATE from the petition site.[emphasis mine]
    SOME UPDATE
    Stijn Van Damn, the original establisher of the petition, relinquished its control to us at Firearms United. We are very grateful for such a great demonstration of trust. In these days, we're working along with many other organizations of shooters, gun owners, and other industry and market stakeholders to counter the proposed ‪#‎eugunban‬.
    As you may know, the Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee of the European Parliament should be given a preliminary introduction of the proposal, but a speaker doesn't seem to have been appointed yet.
    The European Commission give up any idea of pushing the proposal under any "urgent procedure", opting for a standard procedure instead. That's why we need to be vigilant: we can't let them hide it under the sand, waiting for our attention to wane away before digging it out and passing it behind our backs, or maybe exploiting the innocent victims of a future attack.
    In the meanwhile, the minds behind the proposed #eugunban remain unknown (for the time being... not much).Today, in Brussels EU DG Trade Elżbieta Bieńkowska was interviewed by the industry committee of the European Parliament; Finnish, German and Austrian MEPs raised up the potential issues of the proposed restrictions and emphasized hunters, collectors and reserve positions and perspectives. She was not happy and she stated: "Kalashnikov will no longer be available for private ownership and everyone understands why".
    The good thing is that this is no longer in the hands of the commission, but in the hands of member states and parliament and at least Finland prepared a clear statement about this proposal. However, it seems that we have now finally found the root cause why the proposal was changed: the European Commission wants to push its foolish ‪#‎guncontrol‬ ploy against European citizens regardless of any democratic rule. This, unless we show them that manufacturers, distributors and owners won't bend.
    Our petition (https://www.change.org/p/council-of-the-european-union-eu-y…) has now reached 221.530 signatures... but we need more! Get going! We need MILLIONS, one for every single gun owner AND its family members in Europe!
    TThe old "Not everybody has access to computers, smarphones or other devices" is an excuse that doesn't work in 2015 Europe.[Especially here in Ireland where we are claiming to be a technological hub] Revolutions have been made through the right use of the Web. Migrants have smartphones and tablets − low-price Asian models, but they have them nonetheless. Stating that gun owners don't have access to this kind of technology gives us a bad name: we look like some sort of backwards community, while gun grabbers claim to be "the future".

In the meanwhile, EVERYBODY (and we mean EVERYBODY) who signed the petition on Change.org should also voice its opposition through the official European Commission poll: https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/…;
    Remember: they can easily ignore a petition on Change.org, but not their own polls... not without a good excuse which we won't give them!
    On a side note: a second petition has surfaced on Change.org; it mimics the graphics and the title of our petition, but SUPPORTS the #eugunban.
    We hereby provide a short version of the link as we don't want to give publicity to the full one: https://goo.gl/deKyGN
    It's clearly aimed to get hits and subscriptions by similarity to the real campaign, as well as to annoy us and get us to promote it, by pushing us to make noise and kick up dust around it.

What we need to do is to act as if it doesn't exist (that means DON'T PUBLICIZE THE LINK!) but watch on our and any associated sites and webpages, and be ready to remove obvious spam references to it, which try to get attention of as many pro gun people as possible, so they pass the reference on.
    We will soon change the graphics of our petition, but in the meanwhile you can visit the link of the scam petition and flag it as inappropriate by clicking the link at the bottom of the page.
    Last, but not least, some FIREARMS UNITED admins received strange friendship requests from profiles of ostensible "Facebook staff members" ever since we took the petition on.
    At the same time, when we link to the petition on Change.org, followers who receive our feeds will no longer visualize the link without clicking directly on our page.
    It may be due to the fact that the link has been shared so many times that it has been caught in Facebook's automated anti-spam net, but the situation is open to interpretation, and the word "sabotage" pops out here and there in our mind.
    Keep your eyes and ears wide open! More updates soon!
    ACT TOGETHER, FEEL FREE AND MAKE CHANGES

EDIT some folks are saying the links are not working.
    I tested these and they are fine ?

If not go to to https://www.facebook.com/FirearmsUnited/ the petition id there with the EU submission links.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Neither of the two petition links above are working

• Advertisement

Why put up a link to the anti-gun petition. I'd bet my danglies that some people will get mixed up and sign the wrong petition.

https://www.change.org/p/council-of-the-european-union-eu-you-cannot-stop-terrorism-by-restricting-legal-gun-ownership

https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/?fuseaction=feedback&docId=3085376

First is the petition second is the submission link to the EU.
    Those links work fine for me??Just checked them too?
    They explain quite clearly WHY they posted the anti link and WHAT and WHAT NOT to do about it. So here it is again. Dont give it any credit by passing on the link in any way by posting it or twittering it .Be aware it exists!!
    Heres the tricky bit! Go to the anti link,and scroll down and hit the FLAG AS INAPPROPRIATE button.A drop down box appears and you enter the reasons why and hit the SEND button.Mission accomplished! Move to next level!;):)

If someone bungles that,should they be really in charge of a firearm or let out unattended in public by themselves??:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    https://www.change.org/p/council-of-the-european-union-eu-you-cannot-stop-terrorism-by-restricting-legal-gun-ownership

https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/?fuseaction=feedback&docId=3085376

First is the petition second is the submission link to the EU.
    Those links work fine for me??Just checked them too?
    They explain quite clearly WHY they posted the anti link and WHAT and WHAT NOT to do about it. So here it is again. Dont give it any credit by passing on the link in any way by posting it or twittering it .Be aware it exists!!
    Heres the tricky bit! Go to the anti link,and scroll down and hit the FLAG AS INAPPROPRIATE button.A drop down box appears and you enter the reasons why and hit the SEND button.Mission accomplished! Move to next level!;):)

If someone bungles that,should they be really in charge of a firearm or let out unattended in public by themselves??:p

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

flagged the anti link and noticed they have less than 100 votes! Thanks for the heads up Griz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Done & done.

• Advertisement

I'm signed this now and it is because i want to stop illegal terrorism!

Astrid Thernström, 71891 Frövi, Sweden4 days ago

This is one of the idiotic comments from the anti petition. :eek: :eek: :eek:

What's the Swedish for "absolute gobsh1te"?

Is there such a thing as legal terrorism???
    "Absolut gob****e" pretty much stays the same in Swedish as in English.Seems the Abba landers dont have many good swear words according to google.They use English and German cuss words.

Good opinion piece from a Czech lawyer on how this could backfire on the EU.

https://euobserver.com/opinion/131339

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

both done

https://www.facebook.com/GunbanEU/photos/a.1029375283750518.1073741828.1028025690552144/1034843239870389/?type=3&theater

Ireland in 24 th position with 623 signitures!!:):cool:
    Well done to those who have,but we still need more people to sign this.
    Got a response from Brian Hayes MEP as well.

Thank you for your email.
    I am aware of the Commissions' proposal on the matter. The proposal is required to be passed by both the European Parliament and the Commission. A number of amendments will likely be made over the coming months as the proposal goes through Committee and Plenary stages in the Parliament. Please be assured I will discuss this matter with my EPP colleagues when it comes before Parliament.
    Once again thank you for your email.
    Kind Regards
    Brian Hayes MEP

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

BattleCorp wrote: »
    This MEP hadn't heard of the issue. Get writing folks.

Have you got a list of their e-mail addresses handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

First reply from one of my four MEPs:

Dear Limerick Sovereigns

Thank you for your email. The Directive is part of a package of measures recently adopted by the European Commission to make it more difficult to acquire firearms in the EU, including a revision of the Firearms Directive, an Implementing Regulation on common minimum standards of deactivation of firearms and an action plan against the illegal trafficking of weapons and explosives.

The proposals were foreseen in the European Security Agenda adopted in April 2015 but have been significantly accelerated in the aftermath of the attacks on Paris. In light of these tragic events, it is right that we look at what can be done on a practical basis to tackle terrorism and criminal activities. Effective gun control is part of this.

The European Commission has proposed a revision of the law in this area by way of amending the Firearms Directive, in an effort to tighten controls on the acquisition and possession of firearms. This issue has been referred to the Internal Market committee (IMCO) for scrutiny and the European Parliament will be proposing its own amendments to the Commission’s draft proposal in due course. As yet, there has been no discussion on the legislation but it will be debated at the next IMCO meeting on 7th December.

The new proposal includes elements that will improve sharing of registers across borders between the Member States, enhance the marking of weapons and enable the tracking of deactivated arms, such as those of an historical nature.

I have received a considerable amount of correspondence from constituents who have concerns in relation to parts of the detailed drafting, in particular the use of the word “resemble” when describing how firearms are categorised, and the exact nature of the responsibilities for museums and collectors. These issues will be discussed and debated at length and it is my group, the ECR’s intention that improvements be made to the drafting to remove any legal uncertainty or unintended consequences arising from the proposed formulation of the new legislation.

I strongly believe that new legislation concerning legal firearms must be coupled with much greater enforcement against illegal arms, crime and terrorism. The weapons used in the Paris attacks were illegal and whilst it is right that we check for any loopholes in the law, we cannot lose focus on tackling the illegal arms trade too.

If you have specific concerns in relation to the Commission’s proposals, please let me know as I would be more than happy to pass these on to my colleagues on the IMCO committee.

Kind regards

Is mise le meas
    Brian

Brian Crowley MEP
    Maryborough Lodge
    Maryborough Hill
    Douglas
    Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

The UK and Ireland have opt-ins on justice and home affairs legislation, which enable them to choose whether to accept or reject legislation on a case-by-case basis.
    Would this firearms proposed legislation be a opt in opt out??

Dont think they have a choice Tackle.It will be an EU directive and you can imagine after the kicking they got from us last year which way they will swing .Choice or not.:(:(

First reply from one of my four MEPs:

Got the exact same from Mr Crowley.Standardised letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The UK and Ireland have opt-ins on justice and home affairs legislation, which enable them to choose whether to accept or reject legislation on a case-by-case basis.
    Would this firearms proposed legislation be a opt in opt out??

Firearms legislation in the EU is not an opt-out area of law.The EU law till now has set a minimum level of regulation and member states add their own on top of it and EU law explicitly allowed for that. But a member state couldn't have set a looser level of regulation that conflicted with the EU law.

From Shin Fein

a chara,

Thanks for getting in touch and for highlighting your concerns in relation to the European Commission's November 18th proposals.

In light of the recent attacks and security threats, policy makers are attempting to navigate through some difficult reforms. That being said, legislation that is hastily adopted as is the case here often directly affect law-abiding citizens. After a first reading of the proposals, I am wary of certain parts not least those to ban private ownership of certain firearms including deactivated firearms.

Sinn Féin acknowledges the support in rural Ireland for traditional rural occupations such as hunting and fishing. While we believe that such activities should be regulated, we also recognise the damage an outright ban on the proposed firearms would have. The focus of the legislation is therefore misplaced. Rather than targeting the illegal trafficking of firearms or fine-tuning those sections restricting internet-trade, the Commission has gone for an outright ban. It can be argued that this regulation would work better by revising the control on possession of such firearms today, for example by requiring proof of need and membership in sports organisations rather than forcing legal owners to hand over possessions.

This file will come before the European Parliament next year and when it does I will be tabling amendments to make sure that the means of the legislation are better directed towards the legitimate ends.

Is mise,

Matt Carthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭onetimecypher

contact.ie will get you to where you can get all

What sports would be affected or eliminated by the current proposals? Or is it only owner choice of firearm that is being restricted?

Just trying to understand the consequences for Ireland and other countries also.

You will lose if it goes thru.
    ALL semi auto rifles irrespective of caliber with any "military features",this is very generalistic so who is to say what a Eurocat thinks is a military feature?
    That also includes any sort of DEACT that is or was a semi or select fire military weapon.
    Any other deact will have to be deacted to an EU standard proably the UK "new " standards.IOW you will have a welded up lump of metal with no detachable mag or working action or pullable trigger.That includes previously certified and deacted guns too.

ALL semi auto pistols Irrespective of caliber.
    ALL semi auto shotguns military or not. [wakey ,wakey !!]

IOW forget IPSC and target pistol,national rifle ,service rifle,Bullseye,Olympic target rifle and pistol,and alot of peed off game shooters.and people who in EU countries have the right to concealed carry
    You will lose the right to advertise your gun for sale on websites like this.
    Only dealers will be allowed to do internet sales.

You will lose the pretty much free and easy liscensing regime we have here in the medical dept.It will become cumpulsory for you to be seen by a head shrinker!!For about a month of sessions.
    Forgot to add they also want an EU wide ballistic testing of all firearms....
    All parts of your firearm will have to be serial numberd to the frame number and a gun dealer/seller will have to keep the sales record for virtually forever. Also you will have to have to get approval from the EU to purchase any replacement parts that have to be micro stamped.Have fun ordering in abit from the USA then.

All stored data on firearms wil be centralised with Brussells.IOW our PULSE info will be available to anyone in the EU firearms dept or police force anywhere in the EU.

Blank firers and flare guns and proably airsoft guns and such will be classified as live weapons and will be moved to a liscenseable category. There goes your dog training dummy launcher and the airsoft sport.

Thats off the top of my head. And some loons in there want it to go further! They want a ban on bitcoin purchases anywhere in the EU.Liscense you to purchase certain hairdressing and garden products.Digital fingerprinting of all gunowners ,etc. All to keep us safer from " terrorist attacks "remember.If you belive that I have a nice historic stone for sale here in Limerick that I own.Going cheap!:rolleyes:

This is why it is important to lobby your TDs and MEPs on this ,not to mind our ever silent seemingly self absorbed shooting organisations as on to what is Irelands position on this?
    SFortuneatly our EU neighbours arent asleep on this and it looks like Finland,Czech Republic,proably Sweden Lithuania,Italy govts is against this.[Finland and Sweden playing a bit of fuk you I'm alright jack because we need them for reserveist training,national security an all that.]
    .HOWEVER we need 18 countries to say Fuk off EU!! otherwise this will become law.:( In TWO days time this will be introduced to the EU parliment,so we have to be able to show that this is a dubius and rushed bill .

Go over to face book page Firearms United for more up to date info and watch out for the Irish page soon. Get everyone you know ,even non shooting relatives and friends to sign the petition,now close to 250,000 and put in an EU submission.
    NO MORE EXCUSES! you are reading this on a computor ,tablet or phone,you can sign and send an email. If you havent done it by now ,whats your excuse??
    You have none.

So for example would all semi auto .22lr rifles in Ireland go from being unrestricted to being illegal and completely unlicenceable?

Will all .22lr pistols (apart from revolvers?) become illegal throughout the EU. Will all EU Olympic teams be following the UK to train in Switzerland?

If so, this is the sort of thing that needs to be explained to MEPs.

Yup,pretty much.The .22 would be anything with "military features"..This is the same happy crappy we have fought in the DC over the last five years.Except now it will cost you millions to argue with a Eurocrat.And as usual unenforceable as what happens if you change the stock on your Ruger 10/22 for somthing more suitable like a thumbhole ?Apart from it being unenforceable,its suddenly a "military style" stock,thats if the 10/22 is left alone as it is also used by military and police these days for dog removal or whatever in silenced mode.

Basically,it would give our lot carte blance to do EXACTLY what they wanted this time last year with the excuse that thy are "just following orders" from the EU.
    Which is what the extreme danger is for us here

And our lot dont seem to recognise the inherient danger of this at all,and are still playing who gets to sit at the ministers table.

So this is why I cant emphasise this enough we should be lobbying our TDs and MEPs about this,and not waiting for our organisations to make a move on this. Tomrrow Dec 7th this revised bill is being introduced to the EU parliment,and it might be already too late to do much about it.:(
    So maybe when you are at the next eGM or aGM or whatever GM of our organisations,we should start asking,who is looking out for what Europe is doing to us in firearms directives?Parish pump politics in the Irish shooting world has got to stop.

If they go after as it is worded,semi auto pistols,Switzerland will get pretty crowded alright.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

What does a civilian need a semi auto weapon for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

La Fenetre wrote: »
    What does a civilian need a semi auto weapon for ?
    You might have missed the bit where we don't have them.
    And with mod hat on, hi and welcome, but can you please take a quick read of the charter? Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

Sparks wrote: »
    You might have missed the bit where we don't have them.

No semi auto's in Ireland, that's news to me, are all those semi auto shotguns rifles and pistols here actually illegal ? and what does a civilian in Ireland need a semi auto weapon for ?

Advertisement